Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So, McAvoy still a prospect? Alrighty then...

1) McAvoy
2) Frederic
3) Heinen
4) Bjork
4a) Senyshyn
5) DeBrusk
6) Lauzon
7) Donato
8) Zboril
9) MacIntyre
10) O'Gara

HM) Cehlarik, Lindgren, Gabrielle

That's off the top of my head, I may be missing someone (was, had to add Senyshyn lol). I like Lindgren quite a bit, but I think he's the furthest away on the list.

Cehlairk should be 2/3. He lead all p bruin prospects in-points before call up short after p bruin injury. He looked good on his call up in Boston.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cehlairk should be 2/3. He lead all p bruin prospects in-points before call up short after p bruin injury. He looked good on his call up in Boston.

Dude, that was MY list.

I know you have a major man crush on Cehlarik, so if you want to put him at 2/3 on YOUR list, that's your prerogative, but he's not better than Frederic, Heinen, or JFK IMO.

Cehlarik played Top 6 minutes for 11 games in the NHL with quality linemates in DK and Pasta...and managed 2 assists.

Also, this was his 4th year playing professional hockey, so he had an advantage over his NCAA and CHL brethren. Once they adjust to the Pro game, I believe they will surpass him.

I wish him well and hope I'm wrong. To each his own.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Now that the season is over, curious about people's top 10 Bruins prospects rankings.

1) McAvoy
2) Lauzon
3) DeBrusk
4) Bjork
5) Frederic
6) JFK
7) Senyshyn
8) Cehlarik
9) Gabrielle
10) Lindgren

That's just who I like.. in order. :laugh: Honestly, after McAvoy, throw about 15 names into a hat, I'm not sure it really matters. Deep.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
1) McAvoy
2) Lauzon
3) DeBrusk
4) Bjork
5) Frederic
6) JFK
7) Senyshyn
8) Cehlarik
9) Gabrielle
10) Lindgren

That's just who I like.. in order. :laugh: Honestly, after McAvoy, throw about 15 names into a hat, I'm not sure it really matters. Deep.

Heinen should be 2/3. He led all P-Bruins prospects in playoff points...

;):laugh:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Dude, that was MY list.

I know you have a major man crush on Cehlarik, so if you want to put him at 2/3 on YOUR list, that's your prerogative, but he's not better than Frederic, Heinen, or JFK IMO.

Cehlarik played Top 6 minutes for 11 games in the NHL with quality linemates in DK and Pasta...and managed 2 assists.

Also, this was his 4th year playing professional hockey, so he had an advantage over his NCAA and CHL brethren. Once they adjust to the Pro game, I believe they will surpass him.

I wish him well and hope I'm wrong. To each his own.

Sorry didn't realize I could post comments on this hockey forum. Geshh and I get your man crush on Heinen. No worries.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sorry didn't realize I could post comments on this hockey forum. Geshh and I get your man crush on Heinen. No worries.

You can post whatever you want, but a Top 10 list of any sort is subjective. Instead of telling me who I should have where, just make your own list. I think that was the whole idea?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I liked what I saw, also saw some things I was hoping he`d work on, not yet ready for a 2/3 IMO.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
So, McAvoy still a prospect? Alrighty then...

1) McAvoy
2) Frederic
3) Heinen
3a) JFK
4) Bjork
4a) Senyshyn
5) DeBrusk
6) Lauzon
7) Donato
8) Zboril
9) MacIntyre
10) O'Gara

HM) Cehlarik, Lindgren, Gabrielle

That's off the top of my head, I may be missing someone (was, had to add Senyshyn lol). I like Lindgren quite a bit, but I think he's the furthest away on the list.

And to think, about five years ago, that list would have gone something like this:

1)Hamilton
2)Caron
3)Bueller
4)Bueller
5)Caron again
6 through 10) Non-Applicable
:laugh:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
And to think, about five years ago, that list would have gone something like this:

1)Hamilton
2)Caron
3)Bueller
4)Bueller
5)Caron again
6 through 10) Non-Applicable
:laugh:

Spooner and Koko!

The difference is that now the team has like 10 Spooner/Koko quality prospects. Some will go the way of Koko. Some will be adequate but perhaps disappointing NHLers like Spooner. Some should exceed expectations like Marchand or Krejci did. Really excited to see how it all shakes out.

And hope I am still excited after it shakes out.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Boston is lucky

They got Pastrnak at 24 or 25 McAvoy 14 Carlo 37

Chicago built there team foundation with high first round picks : Seabrooke 14 Kane 1 Toews 3

They actually in a 4 year period selected 3 Barker (bust), Skille 7 (bust) but then hit on two HOF caliber players - Kane 1 & Toews 3

Pittsburgh though takes the cake - MA Fleury 1 Malkin 2 Crosby 1 Jordan Staal 2. Two certain HOF a damn good goalie and a top 6 three zone center. Oh, and the year before it started they picked 5 and drafted Ryan Whitney

The other multi Cup team the Kings got a HOF caliber guy in Kopiter at 11 but then selected three times in the top 5. Hickey 4 (bust), Doughty 2, Brayden Schenn 5.

For Boston to get into a Cup contending status without bottoming out is damn near impossible but McAvoy & Pastrnak look like top 5 picks

The Bruins did go to two Finals and a third year won the President Cup with a group of second round picks, trades and various FA like Thomas Chara & Savard

My takeaway is I owe Chiarelli an apology he did one heck of a job and in hindsight deserved better hanging with the big boys with nowhere near the assets

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
My takeaway is I owe Chiarelli an apology he did one heck of a job and in hindsight deserved better hanging with the big boys with nowhere near the assets

credit where it's due, sure, he delivered a stanley cup here. and i think people will always be grateful for the job he did. that said, he had 2 incredible starts: 1) his relationship with chara in ottawa, which was the main reason Z signed here...and 2) his former business partner larry kelly was savard's agent. you may never again see 2 players of that ilk sign as UFA with the same team in the same offseason (i guess the wild could make a case with suter/parise).

of course, he also wanted to get rid of tim thomas and brought in manny fernandez to be his #1 goalie. so obviously luck is also involved :)
i'm also glad they traded kalus in that deal, who at that time i had thought was going to be a 30-goal winger. i was hoping krejci would be the guy to go. oops.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Boston is lucky

Chicago built there team foundation with high first round picks : Seabrooke 14 Kane 1 Toews 3

They actually in a 4 year period selected 3 Barker (bust), Skille 7 (bust) but then hit on two HOF caliber players - Kane 1 & Toews 3

Pittsburgh though takes the cake - MA Fleury 1 Malkin 2 Crosby 1 Jordan Staal 2. Two certain HOF a damn good goalie and a top 6 three zone center. Oh, and the year before it started they picked 5 and drafted Ryan Whitney

The other multi Cup team the Kings got a HOF caliber guy in Kopiter at 11 but then selected three times in the top 5. Hickey 4 (bust), Doughty 2, Brayden Schenn 5.

For Boston to get into a Cup contending status without bottoming out is damn near impossible but McAvoy & Pastrnak look like top 5 picks

The Bruins did go to two Finals and a third year won the President Cup with a group of second round picks, trades and various FA like Thomas Chara & Savard

Hickey didn't work out in la but he's not what id consider a bust. 4 full seasons averaging 20 points a year in ny

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Boston is lucky

Those team didn't became multi cup team with their miss with some high pick, but with the amount of good picks done in a short period of time. That's the key. Every team can and will select a real good player here and there, but if you draft one every 5 years you'll never go anywhere.

Chicago built there team from the 2002 draft to the 2007 draft. In those 6 years they form an awesome core of player: Duncan Keith, James Wiesnewski, Brent Seabrook, Cory Crawford, Dustin Byfuglien, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Troy Brower ... and some guys who had their moments, Bryan Bickel, Dave Bolland. That's a really solid base to build arround.

Los Angeles dit it from 2003 to 2008: Brown, Quick, Doughty, Simmonds, Martinez, Voynov, Kopitar. A little bit less impressive than Chicago but still damn good and a beautiful base to a contender.

Pittsburgh struck gold with Crosby and Malkin for sure, so they are not a model someone should try to recreate, it's like hoping to draft McDavid and Mattews ... Still they add Letang, Fleury, Orpik, Muzzin, Goligoski, Staal ... so again a good core for a team.

Boston was the same. From 2003 to 2006, an extremly short span of time. Bruiins drafted Bergeron, Krejci, Kessel, Lucic, Marchand, Versteeg and some contributor like Stuart, Hunwick, Tompson, Sobotka. Bruins were a Cup contender for 6 years (and it could have been more) because of that 4 year span at the draft.

It's harder to do that when you don't have "gimmies" with high pick, but it's still doable, alot of name on those list are not top 15 picks. Boston might get a really good base with the draft from 2014 to 2016 with a little luck. Allready counting on Carlo, Pastrnak and McAvoy, hoping to add 3-4 other name to the list.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Those team didn't became multi cup team with their miss with some high pick, but with the amount of good picks done in a short period of time. That's the key. Every team can and will select a real good player here and there, but if you draft one every 5 years you'll never go anywhere.

Chicago built there team from the 2002 draft to the 2007 draft. In those 6 years they form an awesome core of player: Duncan Keith, James Wiesnewski, Brent Seabrook, Cory Crawford, Dustin Byfuglien, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Troy Brower ... and some guys who had their moments, Bryan Bickel, Dave Bolland. That's a really solid base to build arround.

Los Angeles dit it from 2003 to 2008: Brown, Quick, Doughty, Simmonds, Martinez, Voynov, Kopitar. A little bit less impressive than Chicago but still damn good and a beautiful base to a contender.

Pittsburgh struck gold with Crosby and Malkin for sure, so they are not a model someone should try to recreate, it's like hoping to draft McDavid and Mattews ... Still they add Letang, Fleury, Orpik, Muzzin, Goligoski, Staal ... so again a good core for a team.

Boston was the same. From 2003 to 2006, an extremly short span of time. Bruiins drafted Bergeron, Krejci, Kessel, Lucic, Marchand, Versteeg and some contributor like Stuart, Hunwick, Tompson, Sobotka. Bruins were a Cup contender for 6 years (and it could have been more) because of that 4 year span at the draft.

It's harder to do that when you don't have "gimmies" with high pick, but it's still doable, alot of name on those list are not top 15 picks. Boston might get a really good base with the draft from 2014 to 2016 with a little luck. Allready counting on Carlo, Pastrnak and McAvoy, hoping to add 3-4 other name to the list.

The key is foundational players plain and simple

Penguins - Crosby 1 Malkin 2 Fleury 1
Washington- Ovechkin 1 Backstom 4
Chicago - Kane 1 Toews 3
LA - Doughty 2 Kopiter 11

If you want to believe otherwise your call you added Fleury & Stall to good players but they were picked first and second overall

The Big Bad Bruins added Orr & Espodito to a last place team that had McKenzie Green Bucyk Wedtfall Murphy Smith Cashman Awrey Johnston and they suddenly were the greatest scoring team in NHL history

This generation of Cup winners all added 2 HOF players picked 1,2,3 other than LA with Kopiter at 11 but they gaffed at 4 and took Bernier at 11 but struck gold with Quick in third round missing on Betnier

Three is the above four missed on top 5 picks

Sustainable suckage + luck

Bruins core was

Bergeron 45
Krejci & Lucic in 50's
Marchand in 70's
Thomas FA
Chara FA
Kessel 5 swapped for Seguin 2

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Actually, CHI was very hit/miss in the draft. Much like the Pens, their foundation was built from two picks:

2006 - Toews (3)
2007 - Kane (1)

Their two best picks other than that were the Keith and Buff picks (2nd and 8th rounds), with Brouwer an honorable mention. They did most of their damage in 2003 (Keith, Crawford, Buff) and 2004 (Bolland, Bickel, Brouwer) even though they wiffed big on the 3rd overall pick (Cam Barker).

What I give Chicago the most credit for is not their drafting (because Toews and Kane were layups and literally the only players they got from the 2005-07 drafts other than those two and Hjalmarsson), but the ability to retool on the fly and choose the right players to let go and bring in as replacements.

ps Wisniewski never played a playoff game in CHI

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Recent Cup teams top 10 misses

Boston - Hamill 8
LA - Hickey 4
Chicago - Barker 3 Skille 7
Pittsburgh- Jordan Staal at 2 with Toews 3 Backstom 4 Kessel 5 available

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
My top 10:

1. McAvoy
2. Lauzon
3. DeBrusk
4. Frederic
5. Heinen
6. Bjork
7. JFK
8. Zboril
9. Senyshyn
10. Donato

That is a LOAD of top prospects. Can't believe guys like Gabrielle and Lindgren don't even make the top 10.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
My top 10:

1. McAvoy
2. Lauzon
3. DeBrusk
4. Frederic
5. Heinen
6. Bjork
7. JFK
8. Zboril
9. Senyshyn
10. Donato

That is a LOAD of top prospects. Can't believe guys like Gabrielle and Lindgren don't even make the top 10.

Its why I feel very comfortable trading a couple. I don't want to trade McAvoy, both of Zboril/Lauzon (one is fine), and Senyshyn. Anything else is fine to me in the right deal.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
My List
1) McAvoy-Only real “sure thing†high level prospect, can easily see him as a top pair D for ten years. Only player I would label untouchable due to 2 more years at ELC and having him under control for 7 more years.

2) Frederic-Gritty, solid 3rd line center with good offensive upside. At worst becomes a Zack Smith clone.

3) DeBrusk-Doesn’t have top six potential but should be a solid NHLer for years to come. 15-20 goal third liners who plays a solid game and improved a great deal from early season games in Providence to the player he was in playoffs. I will say it’s tough to evaluate Providence talent watching the horrible AHL live camera set up they use and they are only AHL team I have trouble with their feed.

4) Gabrielle-Basing this on guys I expect to play in NHL over players who may have a higher ceiling. Gabrielle at worst is a fourth line banger with a good NHL career based on his speed, physical play, fighting and versatility. He could become a Lucic/Marchand hybrid but even his low projection is solid NHL depth player.

5) Heinen Improved greatly from what I saw in Boston, which was a lazy, uninvolved, perimeter player to a good looking prospect in the playoff. Good skill level but still not big on going to the dirty areas and getting involved physically. Could be a top 6 forward or a bust depending on how he handles preparation and desire to play. I don’t think he is talented enough to get by on skill level alone.

6 ) Forsbecka-Karlsson. Very limited viewing, basing this on evaluations I have read. Comparisons to Bergeron speak for themselves. Believe he will need at least a full year in Providence before being ready, peole thinking he will be an answer for 3c next year are overvaluing him.

7) Senyshyn-Basing this on Providence playoffs and a couple OHL games I saw. Tremendous speed and high end offensive talent that may not translate to NHL. Shot is plus and works hard. Game not close to complete but overall I like his compete level and speed. I think he has more drive than Heinen and the mono set him back. One of the few right handed forward shots in system.

8) Zboril- Toughest for me to place, only really saw him in memorial cup. Scouts are all over the board on him. How much of his success is related to playing with Chabot? I like his nasty edge and think at worst he becomes a depth defenseman, looking past where he was selected he has a good chance of being a good bottom pairing D or maybe a top 4. Don’t see him as a bust but don’t see him as a top flight D either.

9) Lauzon Haven’t seen a lot, concerned about concussions. What I have read leads me to believe that he plays a good abrasive game and may develop into a depth D

10) O'Gara-non physical McQuaid or K.Miller. with group of young D in Boston and possibly being added by Sweeney may never be more than a 7/8 depth D. Like his size, wished he used it more. Don’t want to compare him to Hal Gill but…..

Others: Chelarik, Donato, McIntyre, Fitzgerald.
Never have beens, never will be’s: Czarnik, Fitzgerald, Koopanen.
Wow, they spent a first round pick on him?????: Subban

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
My List
1) McAvoy-Only real “sure thing†high level prospect, can easily see him as a top pair D for ten years. Only player I would label untouchable due to 2 more years at ELC and having him under control for 7 more years.

2) Frederic-Gritty, solid 3rd line center with good offensive upside. At worst becomes a Zack Smith clone.

3) DeBrusk-Doesn’t have top six potential but should be a solid NHLer for years to come. 15-20 goal third liners who plays a solid game and improved a great deal from early season games in Providence to the player he was in playoffs. I will say it’s tough to evaluate Providence talent watching the horrible AHL live camera set up they use and they are only AHL team I have trouble with their feed.

4) Gabrielle-Basing this on guys I expect to play in NHL over players who may have a higher ceiling. Gabrielle at worst is a fourth line banger with a good NHL career based on his speed, physical play, fighting and versatility. He could become a Lucic/Marchand hybrid but even his low projection is solid NHL depth player.

5) Heinen Improved greatly from what I saw in Boston, which was a lazy, uninvolved, perimeter player to a good looking prospect in the playoff. Good skill level but still not big on going to the dirty areas and getting involved physically. Could be a top 6 forward or a bust depending on how he handles preparation and desire to play. I don’t think he is talented enough to get by on skill level alone.

6 ) Forsbecka-Karlsson. Very limited viewing, basing this on evaluations I have read. Comparisons to Bergeron speak for themselves. Believe he will need at least a full year in Providence before being ready, peole thinking he will be an answer for 3c next year are overvaluing him.

7) Senyshyn-Basing this on Providence playoffs and a couple OHL games I saw. Tremendous speed and high end offensive talent that may not translate to NHL. Shot is plus and works hard. Game not close to complete but overall I like his compete level and speed. I think he has more drive than Heinen and the mono set him back. One of the few right handed forward shots in system.

8) Zboril- Toughest for me to place, only really saw him in memorial cup. Scouts are all over the board on him. How much of his success is related to playing with Chabot? I like his nasty edge and think at worst he becomes a depth defenseman, looking past where he was selected he has a good chance of being a good bottom pairing D or maybe a top 4. Don’t see him as a bust but don’t see him as a top flight D either.

9) Lauzon Haven’t seen a lot, concerned about concussions. What I have read leads me to believe that he plays a good abrasive game and may develop into a depth D

10) O'Gara-non physical McQuaid or K.Miller. with group of young D in Boston and possibly being added by Sweeney may never be more than a 7/8 depth D. Like his size, wished he used it more. Don’t want to compare him to Hal Gill but…..

Others: Chelarik, Donato, McIntyre, Fitzgerald.
Never have beens, never will be’s: Czarnik, Fitzgerald, Koopanen.
Wow, they spent a first round pick on him?????: Subban

Anders Bjork?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Its why I feel very comfortable trading a couple. I don't want to trade McAvoy, both of Zboril/Lauzon (one is fine), and Senyshyn. Anything else is fine to me in the right deal.

After McAvoy the one I don't want to trade is DeBrusk. That guy just has playoff beast written all over him.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Anders Bjork?

Missed him he was suppose to be number 6...Haven't seen a lot of him. Have some fears he becomes another Vesey and nothing more than a third liner but feel he is versatile enough to be a bottom 6 pk/checker if offense doesn't develop. Will need at least half a year in Providence. Dark horse to make team if Sweeney doesn't add a top 6 forward but have a feeling it may become a Chris Bourque like season for him until he gets some seasoning in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad