Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
With all due respect, how much do you even know about Knight? I'm glad the Bruins don't feel the way you do. If they were happy with the way the forwards were being developed would Sweeney be the GM of PRO? Would Pandolfo have been hired? Also, your Joe Flacco analogy is horribly flawed. Moving from Pitt (D1-FBS) to Delaware (D1-FCS) would be the equivalent of going from an AHL team to an ECHL team, not another AHL team.

And what effect does the "prestige" of the B's have to do with Knight or any other prospect's development? Answer: absolutely nothing. One of the best organizations in the NHL recently at developing young prospects is Tampa. I'm sure it's their rich and glorious hockey traditions that make that possible, right?

As far as your specific comment on Knight's underwhelming season...what kind of production did you expect when he was playing 6 minutes a night on his off wing with gifted offensive players like Rob Flick? I mean, I'm shocked he didn't win the AHL scoring championship myself.

Tell you what, why don't we see how Knight looks if he finally gets a chance to play 15 minutes a night with some decent linemates? He sucks, you can come back and tell me you knew he was a bust all along. Last guy I thought was good and few others did was Sobotka and he turned out just fine. Maybe Knight will have to go to another team to find success? If he does, it will have nothing to do with the B's prestige and will definitely be a loss for the organization.

I dont know anything about knight. What he does well, what he does poorly. None of it. I dont watch providence games hardly ever. And the ones i do watch he doesnt play enough to get a read on him. But if someone doesnt play all that much you can still get an idea about them cant you? He has been trending down since his draft year whether it was nagging injuries or being buried on a depth chart. How many impact top 6 players currently in the NHL had 22 or fewer points in their first 68 ahl games? I don't know the answer but I'd venture to guess very little. You mentioned Sweeney and pandolfo being stationed in providence because you think the bruins aren't happy with their prospect development. I think Wayne smith was fired because they weren't happy with the prospects he chose. The answer is somewhere in the middle, Sweeney is there to figure out which prospects were mishandled and which ones were misfires. My feeling is knight was a misfire based on his career arc to this point. But I can't be right about my feeling until it all plays itself out.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I dont know anything about knight. What he does well, what he does poorly. None of it. I dont watch providence games hardly ever. And the ones i do watch he doesnt play enough to get a read on him. But if someone doesnt play all that much you can still get an idea about them cant you? He has been trending down since his draft year whether it was nagging injuries or being buried on a depth chart. How many impact top 6 players currently in the NHL had 22 or fewer points in their first 68 ahl games? I don't know the answer but I'd venture to guess very little. You mentioned Sweeney and pandolfo being stationed in providence because you think the bruins aren't happy with their prospect development. I think Wayne smith was fired because they weren't happy with the prospects he chose. The answer is somewhere in the middle, Sweeney is there to figure out which prospects were mishandled and which ones were misfires. My feeling is knight was a misfire based on his career arc to this point. But I can't be right about my feeling until it all plays itself out.

So, you don't know anything about Knight, and you don't watch PRO games, and yet you continue to speculate and comment? Here's a rule of thumb I have, unless I have seen a player live at least 3 or 4 times (min) I don't comment on them.

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
So, you don't know anything about Knight, and you don't watch PRO games, and yet you continue to speculate and comment? Here's a rule of thumb I have, unless I have seen a player live at least 3 or 4 times (min) I don't comment on them.

Just out of curiosity, how many times had you seen Carl Soderberg play live before he joined the Bruins in 2013?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
It's crazy how this board jumps on everybody who isn't in love with a 22 year old who scored 5 goals in 58 games in the AHL last year. I know he didn't play great minutes but if the talent is so can't miss wouldn't he have forced Cassidy to play him more? I had season tickets for four years of Jared Knight in junior too. When the Bruins drafted him I was really excited about his goal scoring. But he was just an average goal scorer as an 18 and 19 year old in the OHL, his overall game developed and he wasn't always in a scoring role but I would have liked to have seen some more scoring. And you know why he wasn't always in a scoring role? Because Seth Griffith was, Seth's a year younger but had no problem bumping him in junior and was much more successful in the AHL last year. Maybe Griffith is just a way better hockey player than Knight? Yet Griffith has a fraction of the Knight fan club on here.

I still have hopes for Jared Knight playing in the NHL as a Bruin, but I'm really starting to wonder if he's not better off in another organization. And Spooner, Griffith and Khokhlachev haven't seemed to have the problems Jared has playing under Satan Cassidy. Big year for Knight, I hope he's healthy enough to earn the premium minutes and makes the most of them.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
It's crazy how this board jumps on everybody who isn't in love with a 22 year old who scored 5 goals in 58 games in the AHL last year. I know he didn't play great minutes but if the talent is so can't miss wouldn't he have forced Cassidy to play him more? I had season tickets for four years of Jared Knight in junior too. When the Bruins drafted him I was really excited about his goal scoring. But he was just an average goal scorer as an 18 and 19 year old in the OHL, his overall game developed and he wasn't always in a scoring role but I would have liked to have seen some more scoring. And you know why he wasn't always in a scoring role? Because Seth Griffith was, Seth's a year younger but had no problem bumping him in junior and was much more successful in the AHL last year. Maybe Griffith is just a way better hockey player than Knight? Yet Griffith has a fraction of the Knight fan club on here.

Some valid points here. His stock has gone down for a reason. He didn't light it up in juniors over his final two seasons either so he hasn't really had a great year since his draft year.

In my opinion, he doesn't project as a scorer. I think he will be a 3rd or 4th line player, good for ~15 goals and ~35 points. The difference is that he has good speed, even for the NHL, and he can play very physical. He's like a more physical Chuck Kobasew or Danny Paille.

He's a much different player than Griffith. Griffith needs to be on a scoring line. Reminds me a bit of Marc Savard, just on the wing.

Both are good prospects in their own right. Either one could end up being the better NHL player.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

I still have hopes for Jared Knight playing in the NHL as a Bruin, but I'm really starting to wonder if he's not better off in another organization. And Spooner, Griffith and Khokhlachev haven't seemed to have the problems Jared has playing under Satan Cassidy.[/QUOT Koko had to get his agent involved in dealing with Cassidy

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If we all lived by that rule of thumb, HFBoards would be a very quiet place to hang out! :laugh:

I actually meant to amend this because I new there would be a comment like the one below :laugh:

I do comment on players that I have not seen live, but will qualify it by saying that (ie I think Eichel could give McDavid a run for his money, but I have only seen him live once and on TV at the WJC's).

Just out of curiosity, how many times had you seen Carl Soderberg play live before he joined the Bruins in 2013?

Many, many times, I'm a flight attendant for SAS...

What do you think? I watched as much video as I could get my hands on and talked to Swedish posters that had seen him play. Difference was that I made it perfectly clear that I hadn't seen him live and was basing all my observations on video (many, many, many times)...and the people that were telling me that he sucked and wasn't coming over had seen him live as many times as I had :D

Also, I'm not going to tell you a prospect is a bust unless I have seen them a ton and am sure of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Here's a rule of thumb I have, unless I have seen a player live at least 3 or 4 times (min) I don't comment on them.

What do you think? I watched as much video as I could get my hands on and talked to Swedish posters that had seen him play. Difference was that I made it perfectly clear that I hadn't seen him live and was basing all my observations on video (many, many, many times)...and the people that were telling me that he sucked and wasn't coming over had seen him live as many times as I had :D

Also, I'm not going to tell you a prospect is a bust unless I have seen them a ton and am sure of it.

Ok, one somewhat flexible rule of thumb...or one that applies only to other posters...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I still have hopes for Jared Knight playing in the NHL as a Bruin, but I'm really starting to wonder if he's not better off in another organization. And Spooner, Griffith and Khokhlachev haven't seemed to have the problems Jared has playing under Satan Cassidy.

I have zero issues with someone having an informed opinion about a prospect/player, I just have no idea how someone can label a prospect a bust when they (admittedly) don't know anything about their game and have never seen them play?

So you watched Knight play for 4 years in London? What was your overall impression of his game? Strengths? Weaknesses? It sounds as if you thought he was a pretty good all around player, but would have liked to have seen more of a scoring touch? I don't have the pleasure of living in Canada and seeing these guys until they get to the AHL, but from what I was told, his role changed after Kadri left from a shooter to more of a set-up guy. He was also used on the PK and was supposed to be very good, a "Bruins type player".

His first year in PRO, he had injuries, was limited to 10 games and the year was basically a wash. Last year, from what I understand he still was not 100% healthy, but you didn't find it the least bit strange that a guy that was picked 32nd overall and seemed to have a pretty good overall game in Junior was not even given a chance to play a more significant role in PRO? No PK, no PP, 4th line in a position he normally doesn't play (LW). Common sense tells me why bother drafting a kid 32nd if you aren't even going to give him a shot?

As far as the rest of the prospects you mentioned go, I have no idea whether or not Griffith and Spooner like/dislike Cassidy. As Eric mentioned, I have been told that KoKo's agent needed to get involved in something that was going on in PRO. I don't know the specifics, but maybe if Knight had the leverage of going home to Russia if he didn't get treated fairly, he would have gotten more TOI :laugh:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Especially when I'm tearing them down and saying they are busts...

Oh wait, that isn't what I was doing.

So we are allowed to give opinions on players as long as their favorable but in order to call them out and criticize them we have to have seen them live.

I know Jared's game. Power winger NHL speed NHL shot above average physically. That's basically on point correct? That's his 3 big "PROS"

CON list
Trouble staying healthy
Underwhelming offensive numbers
Consistency

Also correct?

I say he will bust because his con's will never be resolved. Is it a guess? Sure its a guess. But its a guess I had 2 seasons ago and he's done nothing on the ice or should I say on the score sheet (since I never see him on the ice since I don't watch providence games) to make me change my mind. The fact knight has so much support here when former bust picks didnt get half the support he does and were labeled as busts even earlier on in their careers is very strange to me. How many people out there were big sauve supporters (former 2nd round pick , BUST) Zach Hamil ( top 10 pick mega bust) hardly any after just one or 2 bad pro seasons

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
So we are allowed to give opinions on players as long as their favorable but in order to call them out and criticize them we have to have seen them live.

I know Jared's game. Power winger NHL speed NHL shot above average physically. That's basically on point correct? That's his 3 big "PROS"

CON list
Trouble staying healthy
Underwhelming offensive numbers
Consistency

Also correct?

I say he will bust because his con's will never be resolved. Is it a guess? Sure its a guess. But its a guess I had 2 seasons ago and he's done nothing on the ice or should I say on the score sheet (since I never see him on the ice since I don't watch providence games) to make me change my mind. The fact knight has so much support here when former bust picks didnt get half the support he does and were labeled as busts even earlier on in their careers is very strange to me. How many people out there were big sauve supporters (former 2nd round pick , BUST) Zach Hamil ( top 10 pick mega bust) hardly any after just one or 2 bad pro seasons

You make some valid points, especially about his pro and con list. However, the reason why people are holding out hope is because Knight has not received the opportunities that those "mega bust" picks have gotten. Could two of those Cons (offensive numbers and consistency) be attributed to his lack of opportunity? Additionally, ZH was playing with quality wingers at his natural position and still didn't produce. Sauve would show flashes (at best) but never could stay on the ice. When Sauve played, he was in his natural element (i.e. scoring winger). When Knight is put in a position where he should succeed and doesn't, that is when I will stop holding out hope for his emergence. If he gets to play the pk and fails miserably, I'll agree with you. When he plays right wing with some valid linemates and fails to produce, then I'll agree with you. And to be honest, Knight in the pre-season looked like a legitimate pro, maybe not a sniper but a player who could add some value to the team.
~c

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
In 12 playoffs games Khokhlachev had nine goals and five assists. Whatever's going on there seems to be working OK.

Yes but it took his agent calling Chia and next thing you know he's getting first and second line minutes with power play time instead of being a healthy scratch

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I actually meant to amend this because I new there would be a smart ass comment like the one below :laugh:

I do comment on players that I have not seen live, but will qualify it by saying that (ie I think Eichel could give McDavid a run for his money, but I have only seen him live once and on TV at the WJC's).

Zzzzzzzzzzzz........

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Yes but it took his agent calling Chia and next thing you know he's getting first and second line minutes with power play time instead of being a healthy scratch

Hopefully with the new personnel and everything else knight will get the same opportunity, who are the right wings for providence? To me he should be first or second line with his shot and speed

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Man, you guys are right. I don't know what I was thinking? Why would you want to see a guy play and actually know something about them before labeling them a bust? Looking at a score sheet and basing decisions on stats alone is always a good idea. There are never any workplace personality conflicts between coaches and players that affect lineups and playing time, that's just a dumb suggestion on my part.

I'm glad you guys set me straight on this.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I'd love to really answer all these questions from Smith to Sweeney but I cant here:laugh: you never know who is reading this board

anyone who can read this (I'm sure I'm on ignore with many) want to know whats going on read my posts.....they aren't like this admitting I know jack **** but this is the way I feel

If my printer paper was softer I'd print it and wipe my ass with it next **** take

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I liked this kid at D camp. Thick, tough, mobile and plays like a Bruin. I can't believe how young he is...he is already physically mature. On that note, I am surprised the Bruins picked Emil Johansson in lieu of Sweezey. Wondering if PJ Axelsson made a biog push to draft Johansson...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I liked this kid at D camp. Thick, tough, mobile and plays like a Bruin. I can't believe how young he is...he is already physically mature. On that note, I am surprised the Bruins picked Emil Johansson in lieu of Sweezey. Wondering if PJ Axelsson made a biog push to draft Johansson...

Johansson was the 12th rated Euro skater by Central Scouting and Craig Button had him at #61 in his Top 100 (not sure if Button ever saw him live :laugh:) I looked at several mock drafts/ratings and he was listed late 2nd-3rd.

I had one person tell me that he has the physical tools, but questions about his hockey sense knocked him down in the draft.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Think it was Pronman who had tweeted about him (Johannson) the other day, saying he felt it may have been a steal for the B's that late.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Johansson was the 12th rated Euro skater by Central Scouting and Craig Button had him at #61 in his Top 100 (not sure if Button ever saw him live :laugh:) I looked at several mock drafts/ratings and he was listed late 2nd-3rd.

I had one person tell me that he has the physical tools, but questions about his hockey sense knocked him down in the draft.

I like the sound of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad