Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I'd rather we wait at this point unless a deal was to be made for a young top guy. Someone like Shattenkirk doesn't thrill me anymore.

Let's wait and see what we have in camp. Maybe Colin Miller or some other youngster is ready to play a much bigger role. Then you still have all the other assets in place to make another move.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Awesome.

Which one of those guys plays top pair D?

I think we are moving the goalposts a hair in that most of us wanted an aggressive pursuit of a top 3 D. Top-pair guys are obviously harder to come by, but at least get a guy who can anchor a 2nd pair so we don't need to pretend Kevan Miller is a top 4 NHL dman anymore.

And I think we could name, pretty quickly, close to 10 guys who've been traded in the last 2-3 years who would fit that bill in Boston. Off the top of my head I can think of Seth Jones, Hamilton, Bogosian, Yandle, Sekera, Myers, Leddy, Demers. All of those guys are better than Kevan Miller and with Krug would form a decent 2nd pair, maybe even excellent.

And even if you disagree with any of those, there are enough there to prove the point that guys who can help us, and not just on the 3rd pair, do get moved. I just think we are finding ways to excuse our management's ineptitude in this area and I don't know why.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'd rather we wait at this point unless a deal was to be made for a young top guy. Someone like Shattenkirk doesn't thrill me anymore.

Let's wait and see what we have in camp. Maybe Colin Miller or some other youngster is ready to play a much bigger role. Then you still have all the other assets in place to make another move.

Once again I'll ask...did you write this today or on this exact date a year ago?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think we are moving the goalposts a hair in that most of us wanted an aggressive pursuit of a top 3 D. Top-pair guys are obviously harder to come by, but at least get a guy who can anchor a 2nd pair so we don't need to pretend Kevan Miller is a top 4 NHL dman anymore.

And I think we could name, pretty quickly, close to 10 guys who've been traded in the last 2-3 years who would fit that bill in Boston. Off the top of my head I can think of Seth Jones, Hamilton, Bogosian, Yandle, Sekera, Myers, Leddy, Demers. All of those guys are better than Kevan Miller and with Krug would form a decent 2nd pair, maybe even excellent.

And even if you disagree with any of those, there are enough there to prove the point that guys who can help us, and not just on the 3rd pair, do get moved. I just think we are finding ways to excuse our management's ineptitude in this area and I don't know why.

I'm just guessing, but I think that Sweeney probably feels they have enough 3-4-5 guys with Krug, Chara, K Miller, McQ?

None of the guys you named, with the possible exception of Jones, is a legit top pair D. Who would be the B's Johansen to nab a d-man like that?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Krug is a legit 2nd pair. If the B's are going to overpay for a d-man, I want a 1 or a 2.

Which is exactly the reason Sweeney has stood pat. Bottom line is that there wasn't a whole lot to choose from on the FA market this year and D salaries are way out of kilter with the rest of the league. Best option right now is to keep our powder dry and give our young talent a chance to earn their spurs.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
"Those folks" :laugh:

If Sweeney doesn't add a D-man, it's only because he doesn't think the value is there. They have the assets to make a deal, if they want. How much do you want to pay for 1 year of Shattenkirk or some other UFA to be? If the player in question is going to be here for a few years, I'm all for it, but not a rental.

I think he's hoping one of the young guys steps up and is going to see how the D looks before doing anything. Boring? I guess, but more prudent than overpaying for a rental or band aid IMO.

And Joe what if the young guys don't step up and the D doesn't look good. The price for Dmen is going to be lower in December or February than it was in July?

Nobody cares about "boring" and "not boring". They care about bad d and good d. The B's D is not good. It wasn't good enough to make the playoffs the last 2 years and there's no reason to think it will be better this year.

Arguments for D to be better:

Things work out and Colin Miller or Joe Morrow or 20 year old Brandon Carlo are ready to be #5 Dmen. Torrey Krug is ready to be an offensive #2.

Arguments for D to be worse: Zdeno Chara is even older and breaks down even more, dropping over the years from elite #1, to good #1, to good #2 to below that this year.

I could see either situation happening for sure. But which is more likely? That's the key question.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wow, there's your chance Sweeney.
Going to be a huge bidding war.

Trouba would have been a great replacement for Buff when he starts to decline.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Wow, there's your chance Sweeney.
Going to be a huge bidding war.

I say we fire him if he doesn't get us Trouba.

He should try and get Connor.

Trouba and Connor for 4 firsts McAvoy Sensyshyn Pastrnak Carlo

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
what would it take? i assume his value is lowered becuase teams know he wants out. Mcq, pasta +? Zboril+1st+griff/morrow?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I heard WPG offered Trouba for Arnesson and Vatrano but Sweeney rightly refused. Can't give up a 40 goal scorer and future #1 D.

Sweeney owning the offseason like no other.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
Trouba makes so much sense and the Bruins have the pieces to get a deal done. He'd fill a critical long term need....

But we'll probably end up signing a middling vet like Kris Russell instead. I don't have much faith in Don/Cam to get something like this done.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
I heard WPG offered Trouba for Arnesson and Vatrano but Sweeney rightly refused. Can't give up a 40 goal scorer and future #1 D.

Gotta get a future high draft pick back if you're Sweeney and you're dealing Arnesson away in any deal.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015

Didnt connor flub his interview with the b's? didnt seem interested if im remembering what i read correctly.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I like the fact we only have to pay him $7 M per

BWAHAHAHAH

This is going to be so much fun to watch here

Boston doesn't match at all if anyone cares about Winnipeg :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
what would it take? i assume his value is lowered becuase teams know he wants out. Mcq, pasta +? Zboril+1st+griff/morrow?

Probably LD is something they'd be looking at.

He's still not going to be cheap to get. Chia is someone to look at, could set their defense/roster for a long time.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Probably LD is something they'd be looking at.

He's still not going to be cheap to get. Chia is someone to look at, could address their last bigger hole and set their defense for a long time.

not cheap per say but leverage is in the other teams favor when the player wants out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad