Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Rick Nash for Spooner, Lindgren (rights) 2018 first, 2019 7th and Beleskey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
The point was that if Donato goes pro and then you add he and Nash to the mix then we have a re-tooled lineup without giving up much which in the end is a win-win.

That wasn't the point. The point was that is Donato comes over it makes this trade better. They are completely separate things and don't have anything to do with each other.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I'm not sure Nash was the right player for Sweeney to Target. He's a poor playoff performer and has produced like a third liner for the last 2 years. That's a lot to give up for a third liner especially when still retaining salary on Beleskey.

Im skeptical, but hopefully this works out. I'm glad he didn't have to give up any of our top young prospects. I'm not convinced Lindgrens upside is more than a 5/6 given his lack of size and offense.

Since when does 6 feet and 200 lbs equal small in today's nhl?

Hi De Hi

Jul 2, 2015
Solihull, UK
Sorry but all this trade/cap/contract stuff just confuses me. I can't imagine that the NYR will want Beleskey out on the ice for them. So will he stay at Providence or will he have to go to an NYR affiliate?

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
Spooner was gone, wants big money for his smallish game.
Right, I agree, its just that I think we could have gotten a tangible long-term asset for him, rather than giving him up basically as payment for taking a bad contract ( in fact not even for taking a bad contract, for taking half of that bad contract). I don't think we had to add Spooner on top of the first and Lindgren for Nash, or at least we shouldn't have had to

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I'm not sure Nash was the right player for Sweeney to Target. He's a poor playoff performer and has produced like a third liner for the last 2 years. That's a lot to give up for a third liner especially when still retaining salary on Beleskey.

Im skeptical, but hopefully this works out. I'm glad he didn't have to give up any of our top young prospects. I'm not convinced Lindgrens upside is more than a 5/6 given his lack of size and offense.

Stop throwing that around as a one way comment. The Rags are retaining 1/2 of Nash’s salary.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
What I don't like about this deal:
I hate losing Lindgren. I don't like that it cost this much... This me, Grabner should have been considered the more valuable deadline acquisition. And I'm not a fan of having to retain so much on Beleskey when a buyout would have done pretty much the same.

What I like about this deal:
I said there were two things I thought the Bruins could do at this deadline to help this current roster. One was some size on the wing. When the physicality ramps up, you're going to need that upgrade. And the other was depth on LD... Preferably someone who could take defensive zone starts from Chara and Krug.
Sweeney did both.

I don't know if the Cup is assured to me as it was in 2011. But I do believe Sweeney has given us the best chance to do so, even though the cost was steep.
I saw somewhere that a buyout would have cost them over 800k more per year. That's not insignificant...basically it lets you fit another ELC. Also buyouts are spread out over more years, right? better to get rid of the contract sooner.

Agree about everything else.

It's funny though...even though the Bruins were good in 2011 I don't think anyone here really thought they were favorites to win the cup. Kelly & Peverley didn't exactly light it up in the regular season post-deadline & the Bruins were a 3rd seed with fewer points than the 4th seed.

Reactions: HustleB

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Do we retain 50% of Bekeskey's hit for the duration of the contract or just this season?

I'm happy we made a move to try and get better/tougher. We didn't move any of what I view to be our top shelf prospects, which is big for me.

Spooner was playing well, but he was gone after this season anyway.

Hopefully the first is the 31stOA.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I just hope he actually clicks with Krejci. They wanted a goal scorer and got one. Too much time, money, assets, and effort trying to build a line around David Krejci these past handful of years. Maybe, just maybe, it's not his wingers.

Pretty excited though. Spooner was getting dealt was a forgone conclusion. Whether it was deadline or off-season. Just wish all these assets weren't wasted on rentals. That's my only complaint about the Holden and Nash deals.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
How am I nitpicking? I said he's a poor playoff performer and he is and has scored like a third liner the last 3 years and he has. He's scored at less than a 0.5 ppg this season.

bc you are

why are you magnifying a lost season ?? Rangers are terrible

No player alone could lift this team out of this hell hole

Reactions: BarnumEffect

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think part of the issue fans have with deals like this (and I am guilty of it to) is that they see these players from their perspective and maybe not how the GM/coach sees them.

I see Rick Nash and my first thought, despite his successful NHL career, is “disappointing”. Top 5 pick that has been very good statistically at times, but never struck me as the type of guy that would lead a team to a Cup, and overpaid for what he brings.

The coaching staff probably sees a big power forward that can be a possession/cycle monster down low. A guy that could be a very good fit with Krejci. Also, he had the 4th highest PK time per game for the Rangers (1:44). I didn’t even know the guy killed penalties until I looked it up yesterday. He’s more well rounded and defensively responsible than I thought.

With Spooner I see a kid the B’s drafted that still hasn’t reached his full potential. A player with a ton of speed and skill that looks like he’s finally getting the grittier and D side of the game. I am rooting for him to succeed because he’s homegrown and has taken a lot of shit from fans.

The coaches probably see a good kid that has not lived up to his abilities. A natural C that has been shifted to wing because he can’t play there in the B’s system. A guy that is good on the PP, but not a physical player with any sort of net front presence. A tweener that is going to produce enough points to get paid, but not enough to be a difference maker. This is a factor when he will be an RFA and has arbitration rights.

I am not happy the B’s gave up a 1st and Lindgren, but it’s going to be a late 1st (hopefully really late) and the B’s are stacked at left D. Plus, half of Beleskey’s contract is gone, which will help them down the road. Nash will be a better “fit” for Krejci than Spooner was and the B’s are a better team today than they were yesterday IMO. I would have preferred a Kreider or Hoffman, but you can’t always get what you want. Who knows what the ask was or if they were even available (in Kreider’s case).

I’m just wondering if the B’s aren’t done.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
The fact that we are adding a player of Nash's stature, talking deep playoff runs and the like, is even more reason to be excited. It's a definite far cry from this time last year and we are still ahead of schedule, while trying to win now with prospects galore still. Life is good folks!

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
I'm actually ok with this trade, the only thing I don't like is that we had to retain on Beleskey. Spooner had no place here anyway after the season and Lindgren is a good prospect but not really a need for the Bruins.
Glad the Bruins kept all the forward prospects like Björk, Donato, Frederic, Forsbacka-Karlsson and Chelarik.

Now I am excited to see what Nash will do with Krejci and how he will perform for the Bruins. I guess that's a great opportunity for him and he will play his ass off.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I think part of the issue fans have with deals like this (and I am guilty of it to) is that they see these players from their perspective and maybe not how the GM/coach sees them.

I see Rick Nash and my first thought, despite his successful NHL career, is “disappointing”. Top 5 pick that has been very good statistically at times, but never struck me as the type of guy that would lead a team to a Cup, and overpaid for what he brings.

The coaching staff probably sees a big power forward that can be a possession/cycle monster down low. A guy that could be a very good fit with Krejci. Also, he had the 4th highest PK time per game for the Rangers (1:44). I didn’t even know the guy killed penalties until I looked it up yesterday. He’s more well rounded and defensively responsible than I thought.

With Spooner I see a kid the B’s drafted that still hasn’t reached his full potential. A player with a ton of speed and skill that looks like he’s finally getting the grittier and D side of the game. I am rooting for him to succeed because he’s homegrown and has taken a lot of **** from fans.

The coaches probably see a good kid that has not lived up to his abilities. A natural C that has been shifted to wing because he can’t play there in the B’s system. A guy that is good on the PP, but not a physical player with any sort of net front presence. A tweener that is going to produce enough points to get paid, but not enough to be a difference maker. This is a factor when he will be an RFA and has arbitration rights.

I am not happy the B’s gave up a 1st and Lindgren, but it’s going to be a late 1st (hopefully really late) and the B’s are stacked at left D. Plus, half of Beleskey’s contract is gone, which will help them down the road. Nash will be a better “fit” for Krejci than Spooner was and the B’s are a better team today than they were yesterday IMO. I would have preferred a Kreider or Hoffman, but you can’t always get what you want. Who knows what the ask was or if they were even available (in Kreider’s case).

I’m just wondering if the B’s aren’t done.
Really find it hard to believe they are keeping nine defenceman on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad