Proposal: Brodin to Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

member 147413

Buffalo
Edmonton
St Louis
Toronto
Winnipeg

Brodin plays both sides and has a great cap hit. There’s absolutely a market and he’s easily would a 1st + very good prospect
Don’t see Toronto moving Liljegren/Sandin level prospect for him tbh. Suzuki is arguably a better prospect then both of them.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Petry is not for you. Petry is older than Brodin but he’s an offensive force, he’s worth more to a contender that’s going all in.

Go ahead and have Brodin.
sure, I'll take the younger guy on a better contract who's better at the defensive aspects, and I'd be ecstatic if I could get him for the price that you're offering. I like Petry for the Leafs, I like Brodin better

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He's good at quite a few things, but his best thing is retrieving pucks from the D zone and making a quick first pass or chip. Makes very few mistakes with the puck. Doesn't get on the score sheet very often, but definitely aids an offense getting out of the D zone quickly.
And by quick first pass you mean right to the other dman who makes the actual breakout pass.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don’t see Toronto moving Liljegren/Sandin level prospect for him tbh. Suzuki is arguably a better prospect then both of them.

Minnesota also wouldn't trade Brodin for Liljegren or Sandin, that would defeat the purpose of trading Brodin.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
sure, I'll take the younger guy on a better contract who's better at the defensive aspects, and I'd be ecstatic if I could get him for the price that you're offering. I like Petry for the Leafs, I like Brodin better
Good for you, he would be good next to Reilly. He’s still not worth Petry.

I’m offering my #1 prospect in Suzuki

Who is your #1 prospect?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Good for you, he would be good next to Reilly. He’s still not worth Petry.

I’m offering my #1 prospect in Suzuki

Who is your #1 prospect?
*more than Petry
This question is about as up in the air right now as it's been in the past 5 years.
I think they will be retooling for the duration of the Suter/Parise contracts.
So does that mean a Brodin trade for prospects and picks is unlikely?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
is Minnesota just retooling for more offense or is it rebuild time?

Management would say re-tooling, as would most of the fan base.
I personally think the best way to re-tool is to target a player like Suzuki because we desperately need a guy who can be a legitimate top 6 C after Staal and Koivu are gone. A player Suzuki would, in theory, be easier to acquire than an already established guy like someone in the Larkin, Horvat age range. So we need to take on some risk in trading for those drafted prospects who look like they have 1C potential.
Of course that sets us a little further back perhaps than a traditional re-tool, but if it pays off it'll be a huge long term win.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Why would Montreal push their chips in right now? They are at best only the 4th/5th best team in the Atlantic, let alone a contender in the East. Adding Brodin wouldn't move the needle all that much and to give up Suzuki? I am pretty impressed by his game ( as are countless other people whose opinions matter more than my own) and think he'll be a real solid player.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
*more than Petry

So does that mean a Brodin trade for prospects and picks is unlikely?
It seems unlikely, yeah. Whatever the fans might think, Fenton was brought in with a mission to push the team past the 1st round. Abandoning that goal before being on the job for a year seems premature unless fate really forces his hand.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Who is your #1 prospect?
either Liljegren or Sandin. And you didn't offer Kotkaniemi, who's your #1 prospect

Management would say re-tooling, as would most of the fan base.
I personally think the best way to re-tool is to target a player like Suzuki because we desperately need a guy who can be a legitimate top 6 C after Staal and Koivu are gone. A player Suzuki would, in theory, be easier to acquire than an already established guy like someone in the Larkin, Horvat age range. So we need to take on some risk in trading for those drafted prospects who look like they have 1C potential.
Of course that sets us a little further back perhaps than a traditional re-tool, but if it pays off it'll be a huge long term win.
so specifically targeting forwards? I think when you're looking at guys drafted in the last 2 years you're better off worrying about the value you're getting back than the positions because you don't know who will turn out. I'd still be interested though from the Leafs, maybe deal Gardiner to someone looking for a PPQB for a forward prospect and flip that as the main piece for Brodin

I'd say it's unlikely. Spurgeon might be the first to go with age/contract. I've been floating the idea of Spurgeon(retained) for Kapanen+Liljegren over on HFWild.
I think that's a bit rich from the Leafs side for a short term solution, I'd be willing to part with that package and add for the long term solution but I think the Leafs have to be planning for a 5+ year window rather than going all in right now

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why would Montreal push their chips in right now? They are at best only the 4th/5th best team in the Atlantic, let alone a contender in the East. Adding Brodin wouldn't move the needle all that much and to give up Suzuki? I am pretty impressed by his game ( as are countless other people whose opinions matter more than my own) and think he'll be a real solid player.

In my fantasy bubble, Montreal says yes because it would provide them with a guy who can be a real solid top 4 guy for the next decade, and with Domi, Kotka and Poehling, they won't necessarily feel as much pain losing Suzuki, because eventually one of those four guys will probably be expendable anyway.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
So if i am understanding people correctly on this here hf board...

Brodin whois a very good middle 6 dman...def not a #1 or #2 with those offensive numbers... but would play nicely next to weber ( Kulak looks amazing next to weber) ... but Brodin... for a topprospect and a 1st that may even miss the playoffs.... is... MAYBE enough....

but when habs fans offer Petry.. most people on here say he is barely worth a second... and B Prospect. maybe..

I mean COME ON PEOPLE..... Brodin is a fine dman... but just like scandella was horrifically over rated by these boards... so is Brodin. He can skate and move the puck.. but can produce offence.. no WAY he is worth a top tier prospect and a 1st. What would a real top 2 dman be worth... like EK or Doughty... 3 prospects and 3 1sts?

Suzuki who just turned 19 ( was 17 when he got drafted) lit up the CHL last year and this year. 100 points in both seasons in just over 60 games (only Kyrou outproduced him last year). 4th in the league in points and 3rd in goals last season...

Lets not forget that he was drafted by the VGK and not the habs.... Maybe this will help his value again?

geez you people...

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
either Liljegren or Sandin. And you didn't offer Kotkaniemi, who's your #1 prospect

so specifically targeting forwards? I think when you're looking at guys drafted in the last 2 years you're better off worrying about the value you're getting back than the positions because you don't know who will turn out. I'd still be interested though from the Leafs, maybe deal Gardiner to someone looking for a PPQB for a forward prospect and flip that as the main piece for Brodin

I think that's a bit rich from the Leafs side for a short term solution, I'd be willing to part with that package and add for the long term solution but I think the Leafs have to be planning for a 5+ year window rather than going all in right now
Kotkaniemi is a roster player and a future star 1C , stop being an ass.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Would obviously depend on the prospect, and I don't think we're necessarily closed to the idea of the guy being a winger if he's a good enough prospect, but just looking at the prospect pool right now, we have Sokolov, Kaprizov, Kunin, Greenway, Dewar, Lodnia as our winger prospects, and McBain and Khovanov as our center prospects. Of course, they may not remain centers when going pro, and their offensive upside is still in question (though they look promising).

The reason you target a guy like Suzuki is because it's pretty clear that he has all the tools it would take to become a top 6 C. You can be pretty confident that he'll reach that level as a center in the NHL. Right now, we need that confidence in one of our centers.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
So if i am understanding people correctly on this here hf board...

Brodin whois a very good middle 6 dman...def not a #1 or #2 with those offensive numbers... but would play nicely next to weber ( Kulak looks amazing next to weber) ... but Brodin... for a topprospect and a 1st that may even miss the playoffs.... is... MAYBE enough....

but when habs fans offer Petry.. most people on here say he is barely worth a second... and B Prospect. maybe..

I mean COME ON PEOPLE..... Brodin is a fine dman... but just like scandella was horrifically over rated by these boards... so is Brodin. He can skate and move the puck.. but can produce offence.. no WAY he is worth a top tier prospect and a 1st. What would a real top 2 dman be worth... like EK or Doughty... 3 prospects and 3 1sts?

Suzuki who just turned 19 ( was 17 when he got drafted) lit up the CHL last year and this year. 100 points in both seasons in just over 60 games (only Kyrou outproduced him last year). 4th in the league in points and 3rd in goals last season...

Lets not forget that he was drafted by the VGK and not the habs.... Maybe this will help his value again?

geez you people...
Absolutely clueless some people are.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Somebody convince me that Suzuki is going to be a much better player than Khovanov and Dewar, because, draft position aside(Kohovanov had Hepatitis during his draft year), they seem to be producing at a similar clip in the CHL.

Fair offer, but I'm guessing that Fenton would rather move someone else.

Suter has looked disturbingly mortal defensively this year, and Dumba....is Dumba, leaving Spurgeon/Brodin as the D anchors both for now and the future.
Is Reilly still getting benched? Has he been that bad?[/QUOTE]

He's a bottom pair puck-moving defense man kind of gal. He has the talent to be a top 4 but lack constancy. He has been playing better than Ouellet, hence why he's still with the big club. He would probably be a regular if it wasn't for the fact that Kulak has looked great with Weber. Which reminds me Montreal would probably need to add a body with the trade to to be O.K contract wise. I suppose Benn would do the job. He's terrible but only cost 1.1 until 2019.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
In my fantasy bubble, Montreal says yes because it would provide them with a guy who can be a real solid top 4 guy for the next decade, and with Domi, Kotka and Poehling, they won't necessarily feel as much pain losing Suzuki, because eventually one of those four guys will probably be expendable anyway.
So do we have a deal?

Brodin

For

Suzuki

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just as a reminder, the original deal was Brodin for Suzuki and Schlemko. There was discussion of possibly adding a CBJ or MTL 2nd to the deal, but that more or less is a minor aspect, and I believe OP phrased it as something along the lines of "depending on who the better negotiator is"

So do we have a deal?

Brodin

For

Suzuki

I was the one that proposed the deal of Brodin for Suzuki and Schlemko in the Coyle thread, which OP brought to a new thread. I would hope Schlemko can be involved because I would like a warm body to play LD so we don't need to call anyone up from Iowa.

I am on board with a Brodin for Suzuki+Schlemko deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad