Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
It would be nice to get an update on the mysterious Pelech injury. It makes me wonder it might be career threatening if there not saying anything.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I've lost track with all the shenanigans with roster decisions. So we're carrying an unneeded 3rd goalie again, who's roster spot is he taking? Is it Boulton's with his latest convenient injury?

Why even bother to call up Mayfield? Strait is clearly trusted and relied on to provide top-4 minutes if Boychuk isn't ready to go. I heard Mayfield looked good in his latest AHL games, he'll be enjoying hot dogs in the press box again. Are the hot dogs that good in the Barclay's?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I've lost track with all the shenanigans with roster decisions. So we're carrying an unneeded 3rd goalie again, who's roster spot is he taking? Is it Boulton's with his latest convenient injury?

Why even bother to call up Mayfield? Strait is clearly trusted and relied on to provide top-4 minutes if Boychuk isn't ready to go. I heard Mayfield looked good in his latest AHL games, he'll be enjoying hot dogs in the press box again. Are the hot dogs that good in the Barclay's?

Did Boulton get "injured" already?

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

By my calculus-- with Berube and Mayfield back they have 25, minus Boychuk, Pelech, and Boulton brings them to 22.

I'm guessing Mayfield is just insurance in case another d-man goes down. Or if they go on a losing streak and that forces Capuano to replace Strait or Zidlicky.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
There's 8 games in the next 14 days. Hopefully Mayfield can see some time.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There's 8 games in the next 14 days. Hopefully Mayfield can see some time.

Exactly how do you see that happening?

Assuming Boychuk is back, then we have the following:

2-3
44-55
14-28/37

Mayfield would be in the Donovan #8 spot, I hope he doesn't get fat from all the hot dogs.

The coaching staff has repeatedly rode 7 d-men the last 2 years, they have been very hesitant to give any of the kids a chance. There have been reports that the kids just aren't ready, need to improve skating for both Mayfield and Pulock. Pelech is done for the year so he is no longer an option.

While I also hope Mayfield is given a chance, there has been no indication that the team has any plans of deviating from going with the top 6 guys and then having Strait act as the super sub where he can fill in any spot for any of the guys.

I think we'll see Mayfield once in that span, anything beyond one is a sucker bet.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Exactly how do you see that happening?

Assuming Boychuk is back, then we have the following:

2-3
44-55
14-28/37

Mayfield would be in the Donovan #8 spot, I hope he doesn't get fat from all the hot dogs.

The coaching staff has repeatedly rode 7 d-men the last 2 years, they have been very hesitant to give any of the kids a chance. There have been reports that the kids just aren't ready, need to improve skating for both Mayfield and Pulock. Pelech is done for the year so he is no longer an option.

While I also hope Mayfield is given a chance, there has been no indication that the team has any plans of deviating from going with the top 6 guys and then having Strait act as the super sub where he can fill in any spot for any of the guys.

I think we'll see Mayfield once in that span, anything beyond one is a sucker bet.

I'm just hoping, I haven't necessarily thought through any scenarios that would see him getting ice time.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wonder if Day-to-day in Bridgeport means IR like it does with the big club :sarcasm:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm just hoping, I haven't necessarily thought through any scenarios that would see him getting ice time.

Nothing aside from a trade for a d-man is unseating Strait from the #7 (a.k.a. 'he can play any of the top-6 spots').

You know there is probably no one who wants Strait gone more than me (maybe Jay), but it's the reality we face. I hate it, but the truth does hurt.

Hopefully Mayfield and the other kids on the blue line get at least a chance next season.

If you look back at training camp, Capuano never gave any of them a chance. They were routinely paired up with the Strait jacket himself or other rookies. Did any of them get a chance with a real NHL d-man? Maybe someone actually got a game with Hickey, but I'm not sure about that. The whole training camp mantra of 'earn your spot' was a farce since Capuano stacked the deck against anyone who wasn't 'his guys'. His decisions on the roster were predetermined before training camp ever opened.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Boulton, Boychuk, and Pelech are all on IR. Not sure why we're still carrying Berube. Maybe Snow will waive or trade him closer to the deadline?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Boulton, Boychuk, and Pelech are all on IR. Not sure why we're still carrying Berube. Maybe Snow will waive or trade him closer to the deadline?

I think if we waive him to send him down they fear he'll be claimed. Either by the Kings (do they still have first right at him?) or some other team. They seem to be trying to hide him until the off season and then they'll see what the goalie situation is.

Not sure if he's worth this effort but apparently the team thinks he is. And most of us have no basis to posit otherwise as I doubt many of us have seen much of the kid. And he's getting an NHL salary so he's probably not complaining too loudly.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think if we waive him to send him down they fear he'll be claimed. Either by the Kings (do they still have first right at him?) or some other team. They seem to be trying to hide him until the off season and then they'll see what the goalie situation is.

Not sure if he's worth this effort but apparently the team thinks he is. And most of us have no basis to posit otherwise as I doubt many of us have seen much of the kid. And he's getting an NHL salary so he's probably not complaining too loudly.

He may be getting an NHL salary, but it very much looks like it's a complete lost/wasted year of development and opportunity for him to prove he's an NHLer. Didn't work out so well for Donovan, I hope Berube doesn't go through the same.

Carrying 3 goalies up until now is yet another head scratcher. I understood why they picked him up at the start of the season with Halak on the shelf, not anymore. Aside from Halak/Greiss, Gribson looks like the true option as the #3G.

What exactly was Berube out so long with, what injury was it? We'll never know. What latest injury is ailing Boulton? Shenanigans as usual.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
He may be getting an NHL salary, but it very much looks like it's a complete lost/wasted year of development and opportunity for him to prove he's an NHLer. Didn't work out so well for Donovan, I hope Berube doesn't go through the same.

Carrying 3 goalies up until now is yet another head scratcher. I understood why they picked him up at the start of the season with Halak on the shelf, not anymore. Aside from Halak/Greiss, Gribson looks like the true option as the #3G.

What exactly was Berube out so long with, what injury was it? We'll never know. What latest injury is ailing Boulton? Shenanigans as usual.

It's a miracle the NHL doesn't fine us for our roster BS.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

The Kings affiliate Ontario Reign still has the ECHL back-up Houser, but since Budaj is a workhorse, I think Houser's only seen 1 game. If the Kings claim Berube, they could split the workload and have a sorely needed goaltending prospect back. Yeah, there's a good chance the Kings would claim Berube. Look's like Berube had good stats in Bridgeport.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Oh, I agree 100%. At the end of the day, a full year on film for a guy like Berube is probably worth more. Assuming there are some shenanigans going on here (and there's likely to be some), I'm sure he's complicit in them but I'm guessing there were some discussions as to what the future may hold. I doubt the Islanders are IR'ing him against his will. I also doubt that he has been hurt in the manner they suggest when they've conveniently IR'd him.

My guess is that Mayfield goes back down once Boychuk is ready as we won't need him. Being that's the case, we have room to carry Berube as our line up will be pretty static. Top 6 and top 12 are pretty set in stone when everyone's healthy. When we have 3-4 guys who are nicked up (but not quite ready for IR) and we need our depth, it will be interesting to see what we do.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

He's looked very good in Bridgeport in my opinion. On par with Gibson, maybe better.

So they probably keep him just in case Halak or Greiss gets a long-term injury. There's no problem roster-wise as long as Boulton remains a company man.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He's looked very good in Bridgeport in my opinion. On par with Gibson, maybe better.

So they probably keep him just in case Halak or Greiss gets a long-term injury. There's no problem roster-wise as long as Boulton remains a company man.

I wonder how many conditioning stints he's allowed if we keep IR'ing him? :laugh:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

Christopher Gibson, a former Kings draft pick, natch. :laugh: Just found out that our suspended goalie prospect has been loaned to a Czech league and our lone eligible goaltending prospect has been on the WHL's long-term injury list. God help us if Peter Budaj gets hurt.

Sounds like you could spare a goaltender, eh?

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Christopher Gibson, a former Kings draft pick, natch. :laugh: Just found out that our suspended goalie prospect has been loaned to a Czech league and our lone eligible goaltending prospect has been on the WHL's long-term injury list. God help us if Peter Budaj gets hurt.

Sounds like you could spare a goaltender, eh?

Kings draft picks have been quite kind to us-- Berube, Gibson, Hickey, the late Visnovsky...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad