Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
does anyone know why ryan pulock averaged 2.48 shots per game last year and is only averaging 1.68 shots per game this year?

much appreciated!

The powerplay has been really bad this year (25th in the league). They're having trouble even setting up. Last year it was much better (6th in the league) and the whole plan was just get the puck to Pulock.

Also, the secret is out on this kid and the opposition is not giving him space at the blueline. All of the away announcers talk about how he has such a great shot and you have to look out for him. I'm sure the coaches are saying the same.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Congrats to Whitney. Just had his first child and last night he got a hat trick. 2nd in points in the AHL. He may just force them to give him a look on the big ice later this season.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Congrats to Whitney. Just had his first child and last night he got a hat trick. 2nd in points in the AHL. He may just force them to give him a look on the big ice later this season.

Small in stature big in talent. Don't know if he'll ever play an NHL game, but he sure is good in the AHL. Tough not to root for those kinda guys.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Finally got home tonight after a few days in New York.

My takeaways from the BST game:

The arena is too small, how will they ever get more than 8,000 fans in there?

Attendance was atrocious, about 3-4k at most. They lost all the true supporters when we moved to Brooklyn apparently.

Why weren't the Sound Tigers wearing Blue and Orange?! Are they trying to change the identity to that of Bridgeport instead of the Islanders?

There was a kid in front of me with a Hartford Wolfpack sign that was allowed to just raise it whenever he pleased, obstructing my view for parts of the game...what kind of ushers and security let that kind of stuff happen?!

The scoreboard was too big and too centered. I found it distracting.

The food was good, but $1 for a hotdog, how is that even close to being reasonable?!

Definitely more Wolfpack fans than Sound Tigers fans, at best a 50/50 split. Get used to it. We're right in their backyard since Connecticut is their territory.

Commute was brutal. An hour and 15 minutes by ferry and an hour and a half drive home because there wasn't a ferry guaranteed at the exact minute the game ended.

On a serious side:

The arena was small, definitely smaller than the Times Union Center in Albany (the only other place I've seen AHL games performed), but it was nice. The attendance was dismal, but hey, what do you expect?

Barnum's Publick House was close to the arena with alright food. Not great, but you could certainly do worse.

Our team is significantly better than Hartford. At one point midway through the 2nd period the shots were 24-5 in favor of Bridgeport.

Gibson was solid in net and was pretty efficient with his mobility, but wasn't tested much.

Our forwards are pretty lacking as far as NHL talent goes. Whitney was the most noticeable and best playmaking forward for the team, which was highlighted with a hat trick. He's played a handful of games for the Devils before, but he's so small, I just can't imagine him being a factor at the NHL level. Vaive and Kearns were the only other two forwards that I really noticed on a somewhat consistent basis, but there wasn't much potential it looked like. Collberg isn't ever going to do anything.

Defensively they looked real good. Mayfield was exactly what we saw last year in the playoffs. He made one mistake that cost the team a goal early on, he pinched in a bad spot and it cost him. However, he showed good mobility and a nice first pass most of the night. Watching him absolutely flatten someone on the side of the net was also a bonus. Pulock didn't unload the cannon, despite a few attempts to do so (wobbly pucks or bad bounces). The PP didn't run through him as much as I thought it would, that was done mostly through Whitney. Still, he was defensively sound and had good gaps all night. Czuczman impressed me and I wouldn't be so quick to write him off (if anyone has). Not as good as the other two, but certainly could become a bottom pairing defenseman.

The rest of the defense was okay. Pretty sure Finn knocked someone's teeth in for a borderline hit on a teammate. Jesse Graham moved well. Carkner was okay, for the AHL level. I've seen some posters (maybe just one) suggest he should be brought back up to the NHL. He can't play at that level anymore. He can't skate and wasn't even the best defender on the AHL team, maybe he was 4th best. The one thing he did do well was coach up the other guys. He was the loudest and most talkative guy on the ice. Definitely directed the other guys when they were out with him, which I think is a great role for him at this point.

Overall my experience was a positive one. Not much to complain about honestly, but I'm in no rush to do it again (it's a trek to travel to another state when I'm already visiting New York). I'd definitely just park at the Port Jeff ferry and ride it over as a passenger to and from, rather than taking a car on it again.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Petrov should be due back soon correct? Original timeline was 1 month which was reported on November 5th. Anyone have update?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Finally got home tonight after a few days in New York.

My takeaways from the BST game:

The arena is too small, how will they ever get more than 8,000 fans in there?

Attendance was atrocious, about 3-4k at most. They lost all the true supporters when we moved to Brooklyn apparently.

Why weren't the Sound Tigers wearing Blue and Orange?! Are they trying to change the identity to that of Bridgeport instead of the Islanders?

There was a kid in front of me with a Hartford Wolfpack sign that was allowed to just raise it whenever he pleased, obstructing my view for parts of the game...what kind of ushers and security let that kind of stuff happen?!

The scoreboard was too big and too centered. I found it distracting.

The food was good, but $1 for a hotdog, how is that even close to being reasonable?!

Definitely more Wolfpack fans than Sound Tigers fans, at best a 50/50 split. Get used to it. We're right in their backyard since Connecticut is their territory.

Commute was brutal. An hour and 15 minutes by ferry and an hour and a half drive home because there wasn't a ferry guaranteed at the exact minute the game ended.

On a serious side:

The arena was small, definitely smaller than the Times Union Center in Albany (the only other place I've seen AHL games performed), but it was nice. The attendance was dismal, but hey, what do you expect?

Barnum's Publick House was close to the arena with alright food. Not great, but you could certainly do worse.

Our team is significantly better than Hartford. At one point midway through the 2nd period the shots were 24-5 in favor of Bridgeport.

Gibson was solid in net and was pretty efficient with his mobility, but wasn't tested much.

Our forwards are pretty lacking as far as NHL talent goes. Whitney was the most noticeable and best playmaking forward for the team, which was highlighted with a hat trick. He's played a handful of games for the Devils before, but he's so small, I just can't imagine him being a factor at the NHL level. Vaive and Kearns were the only other two forwards that I really noticed on a somewhat consistent basis, but there wasn't much potential it looked like. Collberg isn't ever going to do anything.

Defensively they looked real good. Mayfield was exactly what we saw last year in the playoffs. He made one mistake that cost the team a goal early on, he pinched in a bad spot and it cost him. However, he showed good mobility and a nice first pass most of the night. Watching him absolutely flatten someone on the side of the net was also a bonus. Pulock didn't unload the cannon, despite a few attempts to do so (wobbly pucks or bad bounces). The PP didn't run through him as much as I thought it would, that was done mostly through Whitney. Still, he was defensively sound and had good gaps all night. Czuczman impressed me and I wouldn't be so quick to write him off (if anyone has). Not as good as the other two, but certainly could become a bottom pairing defenseman.

The rest of the defense was okay. Pretty sure Finn knocked someone's teeth in for a borderline hit on a teammate. Jesse Graham moved well. Carkner was okay, for the AHL level. I've seen some posters (maybe just one) suggest he should be brought back up to the NHL. He can't play at that level anymore. He can't skate and wasn't even the best defender on the AHL team, maybe he was 4th best. The one thing he did do well was coach up the other guys. He was the loudest and most talkative guy on the ice. Definitely directed the other guys when they were out with him, which I think is a great role for him at this point.

Overall my experience was a positive one. Not much to complain about honestly, but I'm in no rush to do it again (it's a trek to travel to another state when I'm already visiting New York). I'd definitely just park at the Port Jeff ferry and ride it over as a passenger to and from, rather than taking a car on it again.

Thanks for that report, so Vaive is nothing like his father, Rick Vaive was a sniper....

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
On another note, Missouri our ECHL affiliate has won 13 in a row and features recently signed Kyle Beach!!! Thank goodness we stayed away from drafting him.

Isles Enforcer

Sep 22, 2005
New York
www.islesenforcers.com
If anyone was at the game (or watched last night) it was probably the worst Ive ever seen this team play. They lost by giving up 2 goals in 10 seconds with less than a minute to go. The defense was terrible. They couldnt get into the offensive zone on a power play. Just pathetic. Williams was the only bright spot. Went from a 1-0 shutout and first star to the loss and third star. Pelech totally hung him out to dry on the winning goal. Portland is in last place and honestly, Bridgeport deserves to be in last if thats the way they're going to play.

I hope Thompson reams them good and they come out with fire today!

Taz62

Oct 9, 2015
Ontario

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Joe Whitney with his second hat trick in his last 5 games.

This little guy just might force his way into the NHL.

His third goals was a beauty. He gets flattened then gets up and scores:

xTk9ZFbMyhVRNMJySI.gif

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Small in stature big in talent. Don't know if he'll ever play an NHL game, but he sure is good in the AHL. Tough not to root for those kinda guys.

His agent will let him know when it's time to go to Europe and earn big as a star in the KHL, NLA or SHL.

That's what highly skilled, small North Americans do.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Brutal way to lose.

Giving up the tieing goal was one thing (6-on-4 situation, even if it's unclear why the goalie didn't have his hand on that puck), but for the Dman to have is pass attempt blocked like that in his zone at the 49 second mark in what should have been a very, very routine play...

Tough, tough way to end a game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad