Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Hi guys, Leafs fan in peace...

I was wondering how the prospects look from the Grabner trade? I know that Nilsson went back to Sweden and CV is in the ECHL but what about Finn and Gibson?

Cheers

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

I was wondering how the prospects look from the Grabner trade? I know that Nilsson went back to Sweden and CV is in the ECHL but what about Finn and Gibson?

Cheers

Gibson is doing well, and that's the only player in the trade as far as we are concerned.

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010

Cheers

Saw Gibson live in Portland on Friday and thought he looked pretty good. Sound Tigers didn't come alive until the third and he kept them in the game up until that point. Didn't see Finn in the lineup. For some reason I was thinking he was called up from the echl. Maybe he was scratched.

On another note, out of Pelech, Mayfield, and Pulock, Pelech stood out the most. He was very active and made some good plays. Pulock was quiet but efficient. He delivered a couple of big hits too. And was happy to see his shot in person because it lives up to the hype. It's an absolute bomb and he put it on net every time. Mayfield is a beast but had a couple noticeable turnovers.

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007
Saw Gibson live in Portland on Friday and thought he looked pretty good. Sound Tigers didn't come alive until the third and he kept them in the game up until that point. Didn't see Finn in the lineup. For some reason I was thinking he was called up from the echl. Maybe he was scratched.

On another note, out of Pelech, Mayfield, and Pulock, Pelech stood out the most. He was very active and made some good plays. Pulock was quiet but efficient. He delivered a couple of big hits too. And was happy to see his shot in person because it lives up to the hype. It's an absolute bomb and he put it on net every time. Mayfield is a beast but had a couple noticeable turnovers.

I think the three of them should start rotating into some NHL games. I don't see the major harm in having them cycle in at third-pairing minutes, one at a time, so the Isles can see what they have. Otherwise we'll be in the same boat next year: wanting to win now and not willing to risk the season with rookies getting regular shifts at D, so we'll sign the next Vis/Zid and the "kids" will be blocked again as the Isles play if safe and go with vets...in Mayfield's case he'll be getting close to that guy who should have moved out of mom and dad's basement a while ago!

If you put let's say Pulock in for a game and he looks that much worse than Zid, then send him right back down with a clearer idea of what he needs to work on and no harm done. The team and player are better for it and know more than they did before.

It's unrealistic to think all three will get in the lineup at the same time, but we're getting close to the point where all three are going to deserve a long look. I'd rather have that done in phases so (a) we'll know when it's safest to work a second guy into the lineup based on how comfortable the first appears, having already been in there for a while to work his kinks out, and (b) we make smarter decisions on who to keep and who to trade, rather than just guessing based on how they did in the AHL.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Bridgeport played Providence last night. Lost in OT. Rough game overall. It never seemed like they really got going. Bruins played well and Bridge took a lot of undisciplined penalties. That has a been a theme this year.

Pulock looked pretty good. To me he is establishing himself as the clear #1. His passing and vision continue to improve. He fired the slapshot a few times on the PP. (He scored a PP goal on Sunday with the slapper.) I'd like to see him use his slapshot in more situations (like Boychuck) such as clearing the zone on the PK, and firing it around the boards as a dump in. I'd also like to see him make decisions quicker and play with a bit more of an edge. Overall though he seems to be developing well.

Mayfield continues to be a physical d-man. He has had a lot of turnovers lately though and that is a bit concerning. Hope he cleans that up.

Petrov played limited minutes and basically was invisible.

Bridge has played three-game back to backs for the past two weeks which I'm sure is affecting them.

Box score:
Bridgeport Sound Tigers 2 at Providence Bruins 3 (OT)
Friday, December 18, 2015 - Dunkin' Donuts Center

Bridgeport 0 1 1 0 - 2
Providence 0 2 0 1 - 3

1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Graham Bri (hooking), 19:55.

2nd Period-1, Providence, Czarnik 6 (Griffith, DeFazio), 2:14 (PP). 2, Providence, Czarnik 7 (Griffith, Hargrove), 13:02 (PP). 3, Bridgeport, Wright 4 (Vaive, Czuczman), 17:11. Penalties-Czuczman Bri (double minor - high-sticking), 1:33; Blidh Pro (boarding), 8:11; Graham Bri (tripping), 11:59; Czuczman Bri (kneeing), 18:48.

3rd Period-4, Bridgeport, Beck 7 (Wright), 0:42. Penalties-Youds Pro (interference), 0:10; B. Holmstrom Bri (tripping), 13:28; Carkner Bri (roughing), 18:11; Graham Bri (elbowing), 18:11; Bellemore Pro (roughing), 18:11.

OT Period-5, Providence, Czarnik 8 (DeFazio, Griffith), 0:51. Penalties-No Penalties

Shots on Goal-Bridgeport 17-4-9-0-30. Providence 7-16-13-2-38.
Power Play Opportunities-Bridgeport 0 / 2; Providence 2 / 7.
Goalies-Bridgeport, Gibson 10-4-1 (38 shots-35 saves). Providence, Subban 6-5-1 (30 shots-28 saves).
A-6,539
Referees-Dave Lewis (46).
Linesmen-Brian MacDonald (72), Todd Whittemore (70).

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Yeah this guy plays hard. As small as he is, he is not afraid of contact. Most of his goals are scored after he takes the center of the ice.

Sign me up. Guys like that help to encourage other guys to play harder, or scare them into playing harder.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Sign me up. Guys like that help to encourage other guys to play harder, or scare them into playing harder.

Agreed. We won't see him during the regular season though unless **** really hits the fan as he has to pass through waivers on the way back down. But I would like to see him up as a black ace at least. The guy is point per game on a team with very little forward skill.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Brent Thompson on Petrov:

On Kirill Petrov, “I felt his game shape and conditioning weren’t where they needed to be,†Thompson said. He mentioned that he has said similar things about other players coming back from injury, not playing three-in-three, “spoon-fed,†the like. That said, Petrov’s sticks were not in the rack. Think at this point it’d be surprising to see him again.

http://blog.ctnews.com/fornabaio/2015/12/19/shots-not-fired-portland-1-postgame/

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Another team that can't score.

They're having trouble getting any sustained pressure. It's been mostly one and done on their rushes. As a result they can't really get their defense into the play. Also their PP has been terrible. I believe it's 27th in the league now.

Quine has been out with a lower body injury. Getting him back could help but their isn't much talent up front. It's basically just Beck or Whitney with skill.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Just caught the Dec 26th game against Lehigh Valley. They pulled off the win despite what was a complete penalty parade. Nine penalties against BST. Very undisciplined team this year.

Whitney and Beck with nice goals, both on the rush.

Bridgeport Sound Tigers 2 at Lehigh Valley Phantoms 1 - Status: Final
Saturday, December 26, 2015 - PPL Center

Bridgeport 1 1 0 - 2
Lehigh Valley 0 0 1 - 1

1st Period-1, Bridgeport, Beck 8 (Kearns, Gomes), 5:24. Penalties-Cousins Lv (hooking), 1:43; Beck Bri (hooking), 3:11; Graham Bri (hooking), 6:47; Mayfield Bri (delay of game), 9:32; Gomes Bri (interference), 15:44.

2nd Period-2, Bridgeport, Whitney 12 (Collberg), 19:21. Penalties-Rosehill Lv (boarding), 2:14; Alt Lv (boarding), 3:51; Goumas Lv (tripping), 4:54; Beck Bri (holding), 5:06; Finn Bri (tripping), 9:21; Cousins Lv (holding), 15:20; Collberg Bri (holding), 17:10.

3rd Period-3, Lehigh Valley, Hagg 1 (Palushaj, Morin), 13:30 (PP). Penalties-B. Holmstrom Bri (high-sticking), 3:02; Finn Bri (tripping), 9:34; Alderson Lv (holding), 9:34; Beck Bri (tripping), 11:31; served by Alderson Lv (bench minor - too many men), 18:23.

Shots on Goal-Bridgeport 11-13-5-29. Lehigh Valley 9-5-8-22.
Power Play Opportunities-Bridgeport 0 / 6; Lehigh Valley 1 / 9.
Goalies-Bridgeport, Gibson 11-5-1 (22 shots-21 saves). Lehigh Valley, Stolarz 12-7-0 (29 shots-27 saves).
A-8,886
Referees-David Banfield (77), Cameron Voss (78).
Linesmen-Tom George (61), Jud Ritter (34).

Oh and Gibson looked very good.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
BST at Springfield tonight. 2-0 in the 2nd. Williams pulled. (Two pretty soft goals).

Pulock playing the left side tonight (!)

Edit: 2-1 final.

Last edited:

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
A couple of articles on Pulock. Some interesting stuff.

On playing more aggressively (great to hear!):

“I think, to be honest, I feel more comfortable (defensively),†Pulock said.

“I think now I just have to ... focus on being aggressive, physical, and when I can do that, eliminate guys, it helps me beat guys moving up the ice offensively.â€

“I just think in general his game is more assertive, especially coming back from Christmas break,†Bridgeport coach Brent Thompson said. “He’s got a better pace to his game. He’s moving his feet more.â€
http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Sound-Tigers-Pulock-starting-to-assert-himself-6730360.php

On playing the left side:

“The one game I had a few shifts there. It was different just because it was the first time,†Pulock said. “In the middle of the game, it was a bit different, more so in the neutral zone, a different position just because of the way we play our system."

“I feel fine over there. If I worked on it in practice, I’m sure it’d be fine.â€
http://blog.ctnews.com/fornabaio/2016/01/01/pelech-back-up-pulock-over-springfield-pregame/

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Doubly tough for righties to play left. On account of the disparity between righties and lefties (far more lefties in high level hockey), you'd think lefties will play right once in a while, righties probably never have to.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Doubly tough for righties to play left. On account of the disparity between righties and lefties (far more lefties in high level hockey), you'd think lefties will play right once in a while, righties probably never have to.

Yeah he didn't look great on the left tonight. Maybe he'll adjust with time.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm without words at how dumb it is playing Pulock on the left side. Completely unnecessary and counter productive. How many RH defensemen do you see playing LD? Seriously, I can't think of any at any point in time. I can think of plenty LHD's playing on the right side, but not the other way around.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I'm without words at how dumb it is playing Pulock on the left side. Completely unnecessary and counter productive. How many RH defensemen do you see playing LD? Seriously, I can't think of any at any point in time. I can think of plenty LHD's playing on the right side, but not the other way around.

It's the ahl, in a prefect world it's a development league, why not try some things.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
It's the ahl, in a prefect world it's a development league, why not try some things.

Yeah I don't mind them trying it out. If he can pull it off then it gives us another option at LD. Also Carkner has been playing LD regularly this season (and he is RH), so it's not that usual.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Not only is Pulock not getting an opportunity for at least an NHL game because of Strait, now he has to move to make a major adjustment to his off side because of Strait.

Gotta love the coaching staff's decisions. :facepalm:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With Strait penciled in on the right side long term, there's simply just no room for Pulock there. Good to see him getting moved around. :sarcasm:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Not only is Pulock not getting an opportunity for at least an NHL game because of Strait, now he has to move to make a major adjustment to his off side because of Strait.

Gotta love the coaching staff's decisions. :facepalm:

With Strait penciled in on the right side long term, there's simply just no room for Pulock there. Good to see him getting moved around. :sarcasm:

Di6lwwy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad