Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Ohtani gets so overrated in this thread. It is 'who is more dominant in their sport' not biggest star or most unique. Remember when Big Buff on here got so overrated cause he dominated in the playoffs with Chicago at forward and then went on to be a number 1D in Peg? People just love these stories.

McDavid is the de facto number 1 since 2018 in his sport, and in the last 4ish years has put a separation on the league that has people comparing him to Gretzky with a straight face and being taken seriously. Ohtani and Mahomes can't get a consensus like that in their respective sports.

Disagree. An offensive dman of Bobby Orr's ilk is a far cry from a player playing and excelling at 2 completely opposing positions.

Your comparison makes more sense exclusively for this season since Ohtani isn't pitching.
But the pitching and hitting positions occur at different points of the game. Someone like Federov who could play every position and every situation comes to mind as being just as valuable.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think that's a fantastic comparison. It was truly a "I can't believe what I'm watching" type of performance, literally generational feat. There was a good article comparing games, which have been close--but not all-encompassing and absolutely none with a similar circumstance (51-51).

But--to the thread title--it's hard to consider Ohtani more dominant in his sport when he isn't currently playing his multiple positions. DH is basically like if McDavid only played PP. His offense is stellar but not enough to overcome McDavid relative to NHL or Mahomes relative to NFL unless you start adding some value thru pitching or fielding. Then they literally have no way to compare unless Mahomes starts playing safety as well or something.
It definitely is when his WAR (which is a hell of a lot more dependable in baseball than it is in hockey) this season stands at 7.8. 7.8 WAR is EXTREMELY good, and he'll add to that over the rest of the season. But 143 players have had seasons with a WAR of 9+.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ohtani gets so overrated in this thread. It is 'who is more dominant in their sport' not biggest star or most unique. Remember when Big Buff on here got so overrated cause he dominated in the playoffs with Chicago at forward and then went on to be a number 1D in Peg? People just love these stories.

McDavid is the de facto number 1 since 2018 in his sport, and in the last 4ish years has put a separation on the league that has people comparing him to Gretzky with a straight face and being taken seriously. Ohtani and Mahomes can't get a consensus like that in their respective sports.

But the pitching and hitting positions occur at different points of the game. Someone like Federov who could play every position and every situation comes to mind as being just as valuable.
McDavid hasn’t been the defacto #1 since 2018.

IMG_2437.jpeg

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He has been. I think you are confusing 'dominant' with a regular season award that is voted on by peers that has never held strong merit for conversation as the best player in the game.

That same guy will tell you with a straight face that Crosby was the de facto #1 for a dozen years in a row, while ignoring the same guidelines.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Surprised by the results tbh as it should be pretty much unanimous.
On the other hand, maybe not as this is a hockey forum.
I don’t think there’s any question that the answer is Ohtani. He’s doing things that baseball has never seen and could arguably go down as the greatest player ever.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He has been. I think you are confusing 'dominant' with a regular season award that is voted on by peers that has never held strong merit for conversation as the best player in the game.
He is confused because while he has been the best player in that period , he has not been dominant the whole time.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Just a crazy game last night. Still scratching my head.

Since RBI became official in 1920, only one MLB player has had, course of his entire career (same game or not),

a game with 10+RBI
a game with 6+ hits
a game with 5+ XBH
a game with 3+HR
a game with 2+ SB

That one player is Shohei Ohtani. He did all of this in one game, yesterday.

That is just freakin insane.

Yes, it's one game, the thread says dominant in their sport, but these stats are not real. Shaking head...

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Probably the only award that holds any merit as it’s actually voted on by peers

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
He is confused because while he has been the best player in that period , he has not been dominant the whole time.
But he has dominated in ways we have never seen before, right? I mean he just beat the playoff assist record by Gretzky in a lower scoring environment. The guy has certainly dominated at heights we have never seen before, not even from Gretzky.

Probably the only award that holds any merit as it’s actually voted on by peers
Seems to just be a trendy thing on these boards, I have never seen anyone care about the Lindsay.

An award voted on by players never holds merit, they play too many games to follow the league in a meaningful way and just go based on their matchups with them. They are also the most likely to allow bias to affect their vote, and their vote is held to the least scrutiny.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Just a crazy game last night. Still scratching my head.

Since RBI became official in 1920, only one MLB player has had, course of his entire career (same game or not),

a game with 10+RBI
a game with 6+ hits
a game with 5+ XBH
a game with 3+HR
a game with 2+ SB

That one player is Shohei Ohtani. He did all of this in one game, yesterday.

That is just freakin insane.

Yes, it's one game, the thread says dominant in their sport, but these stats are not real. Shaking head...
It is just one game. Sam Gagner had an 8 point night one time. When you go on his whole season, it looks quite normal when stacking against greatest seasons of all time. He has ~.300 OBP compared to like bonds who had ~.600 in his best seasons. He isn't going to break RBI records or home run records. I would say those are the most important stats for evaluating a player objectively.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The only question is you count Ohtani as a non-pitcher for this year.

There isn't much discussion once he starts pitching again next year.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think what Ohtani is doing is both more impressive and more unique than it is dominant.
The only question is you count Ohtani as a non-pitcher for this year.

There isn't much discussion once he starts pitching again next year.
That's not really a question, is it? Why would you count him as a pitcher for this year?

Reactions: ru4reals

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I think what Ohtani is doing is both more impressive and more unique than it is dominant.

That's not really a question, is it? Why would you count him as a pitcher for this year?

Its never specified what time period to consider. Only care who is more dominant this year? Ohtani isn't as impactful strictly playing DH.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Ohtani is like a combination of McDavid and Bergeron. Just insane.
He really isn't though. Ohtani's best season as a pitcher, he finished with a WAR of 6.2. Since the year 2000, 49 pitchers have finished with a WAR of 7.2 or higher.

His best season as a batter is this season, where he's literally only a batter, will probably finish somewhere in the range of 50th best since the year 2000.

McDavid has a strong case to be a top 5 offensive player ever. Bergeron has a strong case to be a top 5 defensive forward ever.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Not even close. You're discounting the uniqueness of the positions. You throw many NHL forwards onto defense, or defensemen onto forward and they could hold their own. Imagine asking a left fielder to pitch for a few innings. Comparing pitching to hitting is like comparing forward to goalie. They are completely different skillsets that require entirely different training. Combine that with Fedorov never being the considered the best forward or the best defenceman at any point in his career.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Mahomes has led his team to three championships.
Macdavid and Ohtani have led their clubs to nothing.
Ohtani will
Likely lead the Dodgers to championship this October. McDavid has his chance and failed.

He really isn't though. Ohtani's best season as a pitcher, he finished with a WAR of 6.2. Since the year 2000, 49 pitchers have finished with a WAR of 7.2 or higher.

His best season as a batter is this season, where he's literally only a batter, will probably finish somewhere in the range of 50th best since the year 2000.

McDavid has a strong case to be a top 5 offensive player ever. Bergeron has a strong case to be a top 5 defensive forward ever.
What has McDavid won?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Mahomes has led his team to three championships.
Macdavid and Ohtani have led their clubs to nothing.
Ohtani will
Likely lead the Dodgers to championship this October. McDavid has his chance and failed.

What has McDavid won?
Is this poll about who has won the most championships?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad