Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Ok, so Reinhart gets sent down...what is BP going to do? With Reinhart, they are holding 9 D!

They only loaned Stockton Sutter. We have to give these guys icetime. What do we do?

Right now ness is hurt. Hopefully its a carkner type thing and he disappears for a while.

Reinhart, pulock, Mayfield, czuczman and pelech should see all the time they need. Can see pedan and graham rotating as the 6th d.

I don't see an issue as long as ness and nemec stay out of the way

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
This has nothing to do with Pedan, but are you seriously under the impression that spending multiple seasons in the AHL and play 150 games or so in the AHL means you cant be a productive NHL player and at that point are classified as nothing more than just an AHL Journeyman?

Duncan Keith, Jake Muzzin, Brian Campbell, Mark Giordano and about 100 other current NHL defenceman disagree.

There are also thousands of nameless wonders like Ness, Wishart, Flood, Keith Aulie that kick around and then fade away. It's not easy to tell the difference.

Isles fans - all fan bases - fall in love at the draft, the next few years, then want to dump them when they get hurt (deHaan) or have growing pains (Donovan) because they are "holding back" the next teen phenom.

And so it goes.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
There are also thousands of nameless wonders like Ness, Wishart, Flood, Keith Aulie that kick around and then fade away. It's not easy to tell the difference.

Isles fans - all fan bases - fall in love at the draft, the next few years, then want to dump them when they get hurt (deHaan) or have growing pains (Donovan) because they are "holding back" the next teen phenom.

And so it goes.

True enough, but what does that have to do with what I said? All I was trying to do was make the point that its a ridiculous statement to scoff at the notion of a player actually needing 2 or 3 years of AHL experience and assuming that player is automatically an AHL journeyman.

Islander fans specifically have had good reason to fall in love at the draft in recent years. At least with the first round picks. It's been a long time since they have done this well in the first round for lets say 6 consecutive years. (MDC, JHS, Pulock, Reinhart, Strome, Nelson, Nino, Tavares and de Haan).

Most of those were premium picks, I'll grant you. And a lot remains to be determined with a lot of the more recent draft picks but I can tell you they have now put together quite an impressive record of at least 1st round picks. I actually didn't like the Reinhart, Nino, de Haan selections at the time (obviously I was wrong with 2 of them ;) ).

So I guess my point is, I don't begrudge Islander fans for blindly liking what the Islanders do at the draft, at least not at this point. Snow and company has instilled some trust in the fan base for what he does at the podium on draft day. Something almost every other GM the Islanders have ever had can not say.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
True enough, but what does that have to do with what I said? All I was trying to do was make the point that its a ridiculous statement to scoff at the notion of a player actually needing 2 or 3 years of AHL experience and assuming that player is automatically an AHL journeyman.

The context to your post (and Dutch Frost) is that the balance of when to invest in development vs. knowing when to cut bait is not always clear. So is it worthwhile to sign Kitchton or let him walk because we have Ness and Wishart who have shown promise, and maybe with a little more seasoning...........etc.

I'm not opposed to your main point (as I interpreted it) that TWO YEARS hardly makes for a journeyman AHLer.

Bit there is a line when you have to sink or swim. So players like Hickey and Strait are lost to waivers before given an NHL chance (for various reasons) and others pass through waivers on a regular basis and are nothing but good/great AHLers. Donovan is at that point now. Ness is past that point so Isles need to make a call as to whether he will help/hinder the development of Pelech, Pedan, Mayfield, Czuczman, Pulock, Reinhart. Playing six rookie(ish) defensemen in the AHL is as bad of an idea as the Oilers throwing all those young kids into an NHL line-up.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
For those suggesting Ness be removed, he's the captain of the team. I don't think he's going anywhere.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
For those suggesting Ness be removed, he's the captain of the team. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Yeah he's the captain because he isnt going to get promoted ever again.

He's hurt now, hopefully its a carkner type thing.

Pairings tonight......

Czuczman - Graham
Reinhart - Mayfield
Pedan - Pulock

Scratched: Pelech

Why pelech Is scratched and why those are the pairings? I have no idea, but its not working out that good. 4 goals against and we are still in 2nd period

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Yeah he's the captain because he isnt going to get promoted ever again.

He's hurt now, hopefully its a carkner type thing.

Pairings tonight......

Czuczman - Graham
Reinhart - Mayfield
Pedan - Pulock

Scratched: Pelech

Why pelech Is scratched and why those are the pairings? I have no idea, but its not working out that good. 4 goals against and we are still in 2nd period
Pedan got in a fight and was tossed on a misconduct. What happened there?

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Pedan got in a fight and was tossed on a misconduct. What happened there?

Pedan put a rough hit on a devil. Kelly basically attacked him, and pedan fought him. Kelly instigated. I didn't see pedan DO anything to warrant a game misconduct. Maybe he SAID something? Either way, it was weak.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Mayfield "fought" rookie Ben Thomson (a tough customer from OHL and one time islander camp invite) Thomson opened his face up and Mayfield has not returned to the game as of overtime. Fight happened 5 min into 3rd period. Bport has been playing just 4 d with pedan also out

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Mayfield "fought" rookie Ben Thomson (a tough customer from OHL and one time islander camp invite) Thomson opened his face up and Mayfield has not returned to the game as of overtime. Fight happened 5 min into 3rd period. Bport has been playing just 4 d with pedan also out

I guess that puts Griff and Pulock together by default, which should have probably started the game.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I guess that puts Griff and Pulock together by default, which should have probably started the game.

Yup, worked out that way in the end. No surprise that there were better results despite only having two pairings for over 20 min of play.

They won in a shootout as both person and mouillierat.

No videos from me until Sunday. I'm on the road with my son at his hockey tournament. Will be at the sound tigers game in person tomorrow up in Albany (provided my sons game finishes in time).

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
BP wins in a shootout. they are now 2-1-0. play Albany again tomorrow afternoon.

when you think of how young their defence is, it has to be encouraging. Pedan, Reinhart, Mayfield, Graham, Church, Pulock. Pelech out with the flu.

watched it on hockeystreams, which i am really liking. 1 year for $109.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Has Mayfield been in any other fights besides this one and his fight in the NHL last year? He may need to get some lessons from Gallant.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Has Mayfield been in any other fights besides this one and his fight in the NHL last year? He may need to get some lessons from Gallant.

He had a bunch of fights at Bridgeport last year, and I believe he had a few fights in the USHL.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Anyone notice the new rules for OT in the AHL? Overtime is seven minutes, they start 4 on 4. On the first stoppage of play after there is four minutes left, the remainder of OT is 3 on 3 unless at the time one of the teams has a powerplay, after that it would become 3 on 3.

Last edited:

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Anyone notice the new rules for OT in the AHL? Overtime is seven minutes, they start 4 on 4. On the first stoppage of play after there is four minutes left, the remainder of OT is 3 on 3 unless at the time one of the teams has a powerplay, after that it would become 3 on 3.

Which was the case last night Bridgeport had a powerplay so they played 4 on 3 and then 4 on 4 (after devils killed it) until about 1:30 left. The 90 seconds of 3 on 3 was pretty funny. Lots of ice (probably too much ice) The tired legs of the players having already played 65 minutes are really apparent when its 3 on 3.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
can anyone list the Sound Tigers forward lines?

they have been changing..... as well as some minor adjustments on the 4th line with players in and out of the lineup like Gallant, Stretch, Vaughn

Last night the lines were mainly

Persson-Stretch-Zolnierczyk
Lee-Mouillierat-Halmo
Quine-Sundstrom-Collberg
Gallant-Langkow-Gillies

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Which was the case last night Bridgeport had a powerplay so they played 4 on 3 and then 4 on 4 (after devils killed it) until about 1:30 left. The 90 seconds of 3 on 3 was pretty funny. Lots of ice (probably too much ice) The tired legs of the players having already played 65 minutes are really apparent when its 3 on 3.

Trying to get more games decided in OT rather than shootout. Could be something like that is adopted in the NHL, Ken Holland of Detroit has been one who has been pushing for some 3 on 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad