Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Malakhov scored 10+ goals and 50+ points as an NHL rookie. I don't think Pedan has that kind of ability. Of course it was a different league back then (higher scoring), but Malakhov had excellent skating ability and a bomb of a shot. You are right about the 10 cent head. He went from looking like a future Allstar Dman to invisible pretty quickly. And you are right, you didn't want to wake up the sleeping giant (Malakhov), he really knew how to throw them. He got to win a Cup with the Devils, so I was happy for him. Also played for the Rangers. So he played for all 3 local teams, but he was one of the biggest wastes of talent I've ever seen, he could skate, shoot, pass, hit, fight, shoulda been like Rob Blake, but played defense like Jason Blake.

One of the greatest jobs of mismanaging an asset. The Islanders had no idea what they had with him and treated him like crap.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
One of the greatest jobs of mismanaging an asset. The Islanders had no idea what they had with him and treated him like crap.

Sounds like Pedan too, constantly a healthy scratch (last yr) if they can teach the kid to slow down with the penalties he could be a force with the size, and shot that he posses. But instead we've sucked at developing our prospects other then the sample size of maybe de Haan, Nelson, and Strome (not sold yet on Strome)

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Malakhov was a 24 year old as a rookie with loads of international experience, but I get you're point. I would never pencil in Pedan for 50+ points in the NHL, but 1993 was one of the highest scoring seasons in NHL history.... maybe THE highest? Same season Teemu obliterated Bossy's rookie scoring record. A few years later the trap took over the NHL and Malakhov faded away,

Fact remains, this guys has reminded me of Malakhov for a long time, similar strengths and weakness', skill sets, style of play and personalities.

I don't see any Malakhov in Pedan (though I know you've seen more of Pedan than I have). I see Pedan as a big body who skates very poorly and doesn't seem to understand positioning. He reminds me of Eric Cairns more than Malakhov - despite his decent OHL scoring stats.

Maybe it was just the 1 or 2 times I saw him but he wasn't impressive and seemed far behind players like Czuczman, Mayfield. Pelech seemed like a much better dman as well (at least as a junior) - he was on Team Canada and I don't think Pedan was even invited to the Russian team.

Hey, if you see Malakhov and that kind of upside, I'd take it in a heart beat! Especially with snarl - something Malakhov never had.

I was very impressed with Malakhov early in his career. I recall him in the Canada Cup (91-92ish, before he played for the Islanders) how impressive he was and how he apparently wasn't on the ice for any goals against the entire tournament. (Don't recall exactly if it was a World Championship, Canada Cup or WJC to be honest). In his first two Isles seasons, before he got hurt, he was awesome. Big, smooth skater, deceptive speed, heavy shot, great passer and he put up big points. He was never overly physical (he was no Kasparaitis) but before he got hurt, he was a pretty special player. His career faded real fast in MTL and NYR after than though. Not Krutov-fast, but fast!

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don't see any Malakhov in Pedan (though I know you've seen more of Pedan than I have). I see Pedan as a big body who skates very poorly and doesn't seem to understand positioning. He reminds me of Eric Cairns more than Malakhov - despite his decent OHL scoring stats.

Maybe it was just the 1 or 2 times I saw him but he wasn't impressive and seemed far behind players like Czuczman, Mayfield. Pelech seemed like a much better dman as well (at least as a junior) - he was on Team Canada and I don't think Pedan was even invited to the Russian team.

Hey, if you see Malakhov and that kind of upside, I'd take it in a heart beat! Especially with snarl - something Malakhov never had.

I was very impressed with Malakhov early in his career. I recall him in the Canada Cup (91-92ish, before he played for the Islanders) how impressive he was and how he apparently wasn't on the ice for any goals against the entire tournament. (Don't recall exactly if it was a World Championship, Canada Cup or WJC to be honest). In his first two Isles seasons, before he got hurt, he was awesome. Big, smooth skater, deceptive speed, heavy shot, great passer and he put up big points. He was never overly physical (he was no Kasparaitis) but before he got hurt, he was a pretty special player. His career faded real fast in MTL and NYR after than though. Not Krutov-fast, but fast!

Wow you don't know much about Pedan do you ? He's actually a pretty good skater, way better skater than Cairns would ever wish to be. Also has a lot more offensive instincts than Cairns ever had, he's nothing like Cairns.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Woah woah woah. His style and his strengths and weaknesses are similar to malakhov. His upside and potential are not that high though. Call him a poor mans malakhov. But yeah Scotts correct. Pedan is a much better skater than you give him credit for. In that respect his skating is closer to malakhov than it is cairns.

My 8 year old already skates better than cairns never mind my 15 year old.

I would say my three year old who just started skating this year is on par with cairns already at this point.

For the record I'm not expecting much from pedan at this point. There's easily 10 guys ahead of him on the defence depth chart at this point. But he IS fun to watch (sometimes). Other times he is very confusing, really makes you scratch your head.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Woah woah woah. His style and his strengths and weaknesses are similar to malakhov. His upside and potential are not that high though. Call him a poor mans malakhov. But yeah Scotts correct. Pedan is a much better skater than you give him credit for. In that respect his skating is closer to malakhov than it is cairns.

My 8 year old already skates better than cairns never mind my 15 year old.

I would say my three year old who just started skating this year is on par with cairns already at this point.

For the record I'm not expecting much from pedan at this point. There's easily 10 guys ahead of him on the defence depth chart at this point. But he IS fun to watch (sometimes). Other times he is very confusing, really makes you scratch your head.

I'm in the same boat with respect to expectations. But let's see how this plays out. Defensemen, especially big dmen are a special breed!

Wow you don't know much about Pedan do you ? He's actually a pretty good skater, way better skater than Cairns would ever wish to be. Also has a lot more offensive instincts than Cairns ever had, he's nothing like Cairns.

Admittedly, Cairns' skating was an extreme example but I only saw Pedan twice (that I remember) and in neither case did I see a Malakhov level skater. Skating aside, it was defensive positioning, reading the play and first pass that seemed way below what I'd expect from a top defense prospect in a prospect game or exhibition game.

They are all a project, even Mayfield who I loved in Denver needs some AHL time to adjust to the position, both defensively and offensively. I know Pedan was struggling for playing time in the AHL last year, injury notwithstanding, so we'll see how this plays out.

BH4991

Jul 4, 2006
Pedan is the type of defenseman who needs a long time to develop, but once he does, watch out. I think you give him 2 more years in the AHL, and then you are looking at a quality NHL d-man who is a physical force.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Pedan is the type of defenseman who needs a long time to develop, but once he does, watch out. I think you give him 2 more years in the AHL, and then you are looking at a quality NHL d-man who is a physical force.

I just wish Reinhart played with half of Pedan's intensity, he'd be scary to play against.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I just wish Reinhart played with half of Pedan's intensity, he'd be scary to play against.

I don't thik that will play against Reinnart. Last night Reinnart clearly had his mistakes, but the kid always made some very savvy plays around the crease and didn't need to be a fiery out spoken player to do it.

I feel like Reinhart will never be a fan favorite but will hands down be on the of best defenders on this team behind hammer. Kids goes about his business with a calm reserve that you see from ten year vets.

In regards to Pedan. With the depth the islanders have in their pipeline, they can clearly afford to allow Pedan to come into his own. If the kid can't crack the lineup he will be a great call up option in the event of injury which is great to have.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

2 more years?!?!?!?! :laugh:

When does a young prospect become an AHL Journeyman??? In 2 years Pedan is playing in the KHL

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I've seen plenty of Pedan, and I concur with redbull. He's roster filler.... big, heavy shot with a ten cent head. Maybe he becomes something.... it won't likely be here. Besides the 7 defensemen in the NHL, there is no less than 6 defensemen ahead of him in the system as well.

Reinhart
Pulock
Pelech
Czurczman
Mayfield
Russo
Graham
Donovan

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
2 more years?!?!?!?! :laugh:

When does a young prospect become an AHL Journeyman??? In 2 years Pedan is playing in the KHL

This has nothing to do with Pedan, but are you seriously under the impression that spending multiple seasons in the AHL and play 150 games or so in the AHL means you cant be a productive NHL player and at that point are classified as nothing more than just an AHL Journeyman?

Duncan Keith, Jake Muzzin, Brian Campbell, Mark Giordano and about 100 other current NHL defenceman disagree.

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007
I haven't seen Pedan play much at all, but on a whim this past weekend I did buy that game on AHL live where he clocked that Ice Caps player. I thought he looked like the best d-man on the team for those three periods. I know that's a microscopic sample size, but it seemed to me there's plenty to like about his skill set.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This has nothing to do with Pedan, but are you seriously under the impression that spending multiple seasons in the AHL and play 150 games or so in the AHL means you cant be a productive NHL player and at that point are classified as nothing more than just an AHL Journeyman?

Duncan Keith, Jake Muzzin, Brian Campbell, Mark Giordano and about 100 other current NHL defenceman disagree.

LOL, even more telling and although it wasn't the AHL, Brian Rafalski is the best answer to blow all of them out of the water. Guy went and played overseas, came back a top 2 pairing defenseman!

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
LOL, even more telling and although it wasn't the AHL, Brian Rafalski is the best answer to blow all of them out of the water. Guy went and played overseas, came back a top 2 pairing defenseman!

Boychuck played over 350 ahl games

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
If Pedan pans out he can be Souray like ,if not he will be Pedan like. One is a top 4 defender and the other is a top 6 AHL`r . I have high hopes for Pedan and think he can be the better Brookbank

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am always amazed at how schizophrenic the Isles fan base can be. On one side you have people who won't give a mid-round pick three full years of AHL development, then you have another batch who want a high first rounder to take several years in juniors, play in at least two WJCs, followed by several more years in the minors, then perhaps a year of finishing school, lol. There is no set standard developmental path. But for once, the Isles have the luxury of letting all of their prospects develop at their own pace so we (finally) have that going for us.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Pedan is a complete crapshoot. the only thing that he has over most of our D prospects, is the willingness to drop the mitts, and actually fight well. Mayfield and Church have done it, but not been very good at it. Pelech, maybe?

he may be the toughest hombre of all our players, prospects and the NHL guys, aside from Carkner. i hope we keep him for a while, and see if he can put it together.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The team has drafted an extraordinarily large amount of defensemen in recent years. This has clearly been a strategy.

Few will make the Islanders. A few more will live past their initial contract. One or two may get traded along the way.

Most of them WILL simply walk away from the organization and no form of compensation will come in return.

That's a general risk of drafting, but it's one that grows considerably when you concentrate on one particular position.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
The team has drafted an extraordinarily large amount of defensemen in recent years. This has clearly been a strategy.

Few will make the Islanders. A few more will live past their initial contract. One or two may get traded along the way.

Most of them WILL simply walk away from the organization and no form of compensation will come in return.

That's a general risk of drafting, but it's one that grows considerably when you concentrate on one particular position.

Since for the most part defensemen cost more on the trade market than forwards, Garth was shrewd with his all defensemen draft. He stock piled the prospect board, and has enough chips as you stated for trades. I think this allowed him last year to go all in on Vanek, even though it did not turn out as favorably as one might had hoped for.

In general most prospects that succeed are 1st or 2nd round prospects. You can then sprinkle in the occasional other round prospects that make it to the big show. What I love about Garth and his draft team is that they try and always get multiple 1st or 2nd round picks to stock the system. This is the way to extend a run and replenish the system. Keep it going Garth "they **** on me, too" Snow.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL

This. Our very own Boychuk did not break into the NHL until he was 25.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ok, so Reinhart gets sent down...what is BP going to do? With Reinhart, they are holding 9 D!

They only loaned Stockton Sutter. We have to give these guys icetime. What do we do?

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Ok, so Reinhart gets sent down...what is BP going to do? With Reinhart, they are holding 9 D!

They only loaned Stockton Sutter. We have to give these guys icetime. What do we do?

Start with releasing Ness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad