Speculation: Brian Wilde just said assistants and Lefebvre gone

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, Wilde is volatile and can turn his hate on you, on a dime. As far as the players go, there is also a hockey culture that encourages the superhero behavior that gets players in trouble, once they're out of hockey. The "attaboy" thing, pat on the back from teammates when a player who just got plastered or suffers a major injury, comes back to a game, often times when he's no longer needed or the game's outcome is a foregone conclusion whether or not he returns to it.

That's the caveman culture that needs to be eradicated. If you've just been concussed and you're sent to a dark room, don't try to come back and pretend all is good. You've been concussed -- any further posturing just has the potential of stealing away big chunks of your quality of life once you're out of the game. Players may be more and more college and university educated but for some reason, the superhero culture doesn't seem to have abated all that much.
It's not caveman culture, it's modern corporate culture; the same corporate culture in which people refuse to take their measly 2 weeks paid vacation out of fear that their employers will come to the realization that if they can live without them for 2 weeks they can likely live without them entirely. It's about protecting your job. There's an old football adage that you don't lose your job to injury but in practice this happens all the time. Tom Brady got his job when he took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe. So sure the player will go to the quiet room and the whole time his only thought will be "who is taking my roster spot away from me?"

Maybe Sidney Crosby can take time off and not have to worry but most players are only in the NHL by the skin of their teeth and there's 10 guys in the minors just waiting for a chance to take their job away from them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's not caveman culture, it's modern corporate culture; the same corporate culture in which people refuse to take their measly 2 weeks paid vacation out of fear that their employers will come to the realization that if they can live without them for 2 weeks they can likely live without them entirely. It's about protecting your job. There's an old football adage that you don't lose your job to injury but in practice this happens all the time. Tom Brady got his job when he took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe. So sure the player will go to the quiet room and the whole time his only thought will be "who is taking my roster spot away from me?"

Maybe Sidney Crosby can take time off and not have to worry but most players are only in the NHL by the skin of their teeth and there's 10 guys in the minors just waiting for a chance to take their job away from them.

There are parallels with business but losing your job is nothing like permanently losing your health -- so that's the caveman part right there.

Plus, the examples you gave involve star players -- these guys always get their jobs back. But, I can definitely see your point for journeymen-types or players who are not established, they're going to want to do anything, even put themselves at risk permanently, not to lose their livelihood.

Reactions: groovejuice

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
All part of the plan...for Bergey to stay another three years. Fire assistants this year. Fire Julien next year and hire Vigneault. Then he gets a free year for Vigneault to work with the guys. Then Bergey gets fired at last.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I don't have anything against this (as long as Waite stays put) -- and I really like Kirk Muller : I just think coaches should bring their own people, and in fact, Muller has been brought here to help with something MT lacked (and which CJ doesn't seem to lack). Ducharme time in the A?

More importantly : Why has there been no axing in the pro scouting department?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I don't have anything against this (as long as Waite stays put) -- and I really like Kirk Muller : I just think coaches should bring their own people, and in fact, Muller has been brought here to help with something MT lacked (and which CJ doesn't seem to lack). Ducharme time in the A?

More importantly : Why has there been no axing in the pro scouting department?
Probably waiting for end of season. That pro side needs a serious shake up

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yeah, Wilde is volatile and can turn his hate on you, on a dime. As far as the players go, there is also a hockey culture that encourages the superhero behavior that gets players in trouble, once they're out of hockey. The "attaboy" thing, pat on the back from teammates when a player who just got plastered or suffers a major injury, comes back to a game, often times when he's no longer needed or the game's outcome is a foregone conclusion whether or not he returns to it.

That's the caveman culture that needs to be eradicated. If you've just been concussed and you're sent to a dark room, don't try to come back and pretend all is good. You've been concussed -- any further posturing just has the potential of stealing away big chunks of your quality of life once you're out of the game. Players may be more and more college and university educated but for some reason, the superhero culture doesn't seem to have abated all that much.

You'd be surprised how prevalent this culture is even in fields with individuals with higher education. It comes with the inherent competitiveness.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
they are 8 guys that absolute need to go ( And I don't count MB because he will return)

Larry Carriere
Scott Mellanby
Jean-Jacques Daigneault
Dan Lacroix
Sylvain Lefebvre
Eric Crawford
Rob Ramage
Shane Churla

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
classic MB distraction tactic.....this gives MB something else to talk about at the presser, so it's not all about our horrid season,

It also lets MB point some of the blame elsewhere.....typical coward move.....by a coward

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
they are 8 guys that absolute need to go ( And I don't count MB because he will return)

Larry Carriere
Scott Mellanby
Jean-Jacques Daigneault
Dan Lacroix
Sylvain Lefebvre
Eric Crawford
Rob Ramage
Shane Churla

Good luck getting rid of Lacroix at this point. He's probably in the ventilation shafts but you'll never find him. Need to tent the whole building and fumigate.

Reactions: Gally11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad