NHL Board of Governors to approve opening of expansion process; Atlanta and Houston believed to be leading candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
36 teams? It makes me sick

images

• Haha
Reactions: Crow

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Because they're a gate-driven league and more gates means more revenue opportunities. Not very difficult.

Except many teams are selling tickets for low prices and quite a few teams can't sell out their home games. It's not like every ticket sold is at MSG where they charge an arm and a leg and still get sold out...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except many teams are selling tickets for low prices and quite a few teams can't sell out their home games. It's not like every ticket sold is at MSG where they charge an arm and a leg and still get sold out...
So? Selling out leaguewide at some arbitrary high price isn't the benchmark for doing expansion. The league doesn't and never has had to have such a thing to have expansion happen and work. Arizona was in shambles the entire time that Vegas and Seattle came into the league and their inclusion hasn't made anything worse for anyone. There are no teams that makes any sense to worry about resolving some issue with relocation currently. Even if there was, it doesn't have to be resolved for expansion to happen and be fine.

There aren't any good reasons against expansion. It's just people wanting to gatekeep coming up with stupid reasons.

Reactions: dj4aces and Viqsi

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I would rather see GTA or Hamilton over Atlanta. New York and LA easily support two teams. I think GTA could too.
GTA and Hamilton have barriers that Atlanta doesn't: The Leafs (and Sabres). That significant barrier would've been a whole lot easier to overcome in the 80s or 90s, but at that time, the league didn't want Hamilton either. Whether or not a GTA team would work is a question I can't answer.
32 is literally the perfect number of teams.
I'm old enough to remember reading people say the same about 21. Whether 21 was or 32 is or isn't is a matter of opinion, not fact. At this point, it sounds like the league disagrees with everyone making this argument.
Atlanta is a different story for me though. While I am aware that the Atlanta Spirit effectively did everything they could to get rid of the team, I don't recall the team being a success off the ice prior to the Spirit Group either.
No... the Thrashers were never really a success in its entire time here. If you're going to have a team in an area no one wants to go, the team has to be worth the price of admission. That lack of success and poor choice to put them downtown was already two strikes against them.
The NHL is the least popular and money-earning league of the Big 4 and yet they'll have the most teams. How does that make sense?
This particular argument is indicative of an entirely different problem: Marketing. Even today, the league depends on teams doing all the legwork when it comes to marketing its stars, while other leagues seem to have little problem marketing theirs.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
So? Selling out leaguewide at some arbitrary high price isn't the benchmark for doing expansion. The league doesn't and never has had to have such a thing to have expansion happen and work. Arizona was in shambles the entire time that Vegas and Seattle came into the league and their inclusion hasn't made anything worse for anyone. There are no teams that makes any sense to worry about resolving some issue with relocation currently. Even if there was, it doesn't have to be resolved for expansion to happen and be fine.

There aren't any good reasons against expansion. It's just people wanting to gatekeep coming up with stupid reasons.

Diluting the talent pool is a good reason to not do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad