Value of: Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I’m not sure how serious they’ve been in these pursuits since they’re always out before the real players start talking details.

But yeah, I think that would be the idea - Nylander would be a Necas upgrade in the medium term and that works fine. You can just trade Necas for more picks and’/or prospects when the time comes.
Um, Mier was down to Jersey and Carolina and San Jose picked Jersey. Reports suggest Carolina was a favorite to land Tkachuk until Florida came in with their offer that I doubt the Canes could match without being stupid.

Can’t speak to Eichel.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
With Eichel, you can question how serious they were, based on the LeBrun report that they were unwilling to part with Jarvis or Necas. What were they even offering?

The latter two were legit, by all accounts. Another team having more attractive assets doesn’t invalidate the seriousness of their interest.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
With Eichel, you can question how serious they were, based on the LeBrun report that were unwilling to part with Jarvis or Necas. What were they even offering?

The latter two were legit, by all reports. Another team having more attractive assets doesn’t invalidate the seriousness of their interest.
From what I have seen and heard, we are getting more aggressive with the push to acquire someone via trade. We thought we had Meier last year until SJ countered with an ask that was effectively a 'f*** you' message in telling us they weren't interested with trading him here

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Sabres aren't trading Kulich.

If Carolina *has* to trade Pesce, Adams will want Pesce signed. 7x7 seems fair as far as market value, and Ostlund/Rosen will probably be the best offer you get from Buffalo.
Actually think they would. Pesce is just so perfect to help bring things along. Not only quicker but overall he fits what they’re trying to do. He puts them in the playoffs.

You don’t get many opportunities to add a player like this. Like it or not, wingers really are a “dime a dozen” in the grand scheme of things. They’re much easier to find, sign, draft, trade for, etc. Even if he were going to play C in the NHL, they’d still be smart to do it. Especially where the organisation is today.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Actually think they would. Pesce is just so perfect to help bring things along. Not only quicker but overall he fits what they’re trying to do. He puts them in the playoffs.

You don’t get many opportunities to add a player like this. Like it or not, wingers really are a “dime a dozen” in the grand scheme of things. They’re much easier to find, sign, draft, trade for, etc. Even if he were going to play C in the NHL, they’d still be smart to do it. Especially where the organisation is today.
Buffalo is also desperate and there's a real lack of RHD in the league. I'd probably do it if I were Adams but I don't think the team and fans would...he's the most popular prospect by a mile, even after drafting Benson.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Kulich isn’t a dime a dozen prospect. If you actually thought that, you’d be fine with the same trade Sabres fans are, which is centered around Rosen rather than Kulich.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
@Beerz

As is normally the case - the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

They certainly don't have to trade him away for pennies on the dollar.

Likewise i don't expect him to bring back an overpayment - although what constitutes an overpayment is open to debate - unless multiple buyers enter a bidding war.
I don't think they'll get pennies on the dollar.. they'll get a nice return. Just not a prospect like Kulich or a player like Peterka. I actually think they have a better chance of getting a Nylander than a Peterka even tho Nylander is better than Peterka at the moment.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Kulich isn’t a dime a dozen prospect. If you actually thought that, you’d be fine with the same trade Sabres fans are, which is centered around Rosen rather than Kulich.
He’s going to be a winger in the NHL. They are by far, the easiest type of player to go out and get. From PeeWee AAA to the NHL, wingers are the least important players to secure, because they’re the easiest to get.

It’s nothing against the kid. Just how things work.

Reactions: MessierII

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He’s going to be a winger in the NHL. They are by far, the easiest type of player to go out and get. From PeeWee AAA to the NHL, wingers are the least important players to secure, because they’re the easiest to get.

It’s nothing against the kid. Just how things work.

So you’re fine with Rosen then? He’s also a winger. And a damn good prospect in his own right. Kulich isn’t going anywhere.

But hey, if you think wingers are so fungible, I’d take Svechnikov off your hands.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don't think they'll get pennies on the dollar.. they'll get a nice return. Just not a prospect like Kulich or a player like Peterka. I actually think they have a better chance of getting a Nylander than a Peterka even tho Nylander is better than Peterka at the moment.
I think that is feasible, top end. Let's imagine we flame out on other targets & either enter a bidding war - or Carolina just dig their heels. Weather Adams would actually do it is probably another question - but IMO he should. It would still be a pretty obvious net gain.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
So you’re fine with Rosen then? He’s also a winger. And a damn good prospect in his own right. Kulich isn’t going anywhere.

But hey, if you think wingers are so fungible, I’d take Svechnikov off your hands.
It’s not my hands, and yea, if that’s who the Canes would demand from the Sabres, they’d include Rosen in a heartbeat. And if the Sabres were moving Dahlin or Power, they’d get a Svechnikov in return very easily.

It’s why you have to draft these type of players. Look how many years the Sabres just kept drafting forward after forward with top picks. What’s finally turned them around? Drafting Dahlin and Power. It’s why so many people believe Detroit is going to be so good in the near future. It’s why the Canes are who they are. They had Faulk, Pesce, Slavin and a few other not as high-end. It’s why they’ve now been good for awhile, with no sign of letting up. Colorado finally drafted a Makar with a high pick. It’s why Tampa jumped on trading Drouin for Sergachev.

Pesce would almost immediately make the Sabres a very dangerous team for the foreseeable future.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That may happen but that's not what is being reported and not typically what Canes have done in past
Well what's been reported in Carolina is that if Pesce and the Canes can't get close on a contract he will likely get traded (with no timetable). What's also been reported is that the Canes are close on an extension with Pesce. Another rumor is that the Canes will just keep Pesce as an own rental if they can't get a deal done. None of those rumors have any more weight than the other. Tomorrow likely tells the story.

Reactions: Tryamw and Beerz

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It’s not my hands, and yea, if that’s who the Canes would demand from the Sabres, they’d include Rosen in a heartbeat. And if the Sabres were moving Dahlin or Power, they’d get a Svechnikov in return very easily.

It’s why you have to draft these type of players. Look how many years the Sabres just kept drafting forward after forward with top picks. What’s finally turned them around? Drafting Dahlin and Power. It’s why so many people believe Detroit is going to be so good in the near future. It’s why the Canes are who they are. They had Faulk, Pesce, Slavin and a few other not as high-end. It’s why they’ve now been good for awhile, with no sign of letting up. Colorado finally drafted a Makar with a high pick. It’s why Tampa jumped on trading Drouin for Sergachev.

Pesce would almost immediately make the Sabres a very dangerous team for the foreseeable future.
How are you comparing Brett Pesce to these other defenseman? 🤣🤣

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
To
Canes
Nylander
Brodie
Minten

To
Leafs
Pesce
Kotkaniemi

I think it's a deal that helps both teams.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
How are you comparing Brett Pesce to these other defenseman? 🤣🤣
Are you suggesting Pesce isn’t one of the best 200 ft Dmen in the NHL over the last 5-6 years?

If he went to Buffalo, and the game was on the line in the playoffs, he’d be on the ice..

There’s much more to being a great dman than the scoresheet… his retrieval skills, retrieval/puck movement combo, his stick skills. his ability to relieve pressure, his ability to force elite players outside. his one and two line passing, and the list goes on… are all Top 10-20.

These players are rarely available, and the only reason he might be, is because he’s getting the term and the money this time around after being on one of the best contracts in the NHL for the last 5 years. The problem is, he’s going to be on the wrong side of 35 when that contract ends. That’s the only reason the Canes would ever think about moving him.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Are you suggesting Pesce isn’t one of the best 200 ft Dmen in the NHL over the last 5-6 years?

If he went to Buffalo, and the game was on the line in the playoffs, he’d be on the ice..

There’s much more to being a great dman than the scoresheet… his retrieval skills, retrieval/puck movement combo, his stick skills. his ability to relieve pressure, his ability to force elite players outside. his one and two line passing, and the list goes on… are all Top 10-20.

These players are rarely available, and the only reason he might be, is because he’s getting the term and the money this time around after being on one of the best contracts in the NHL for the last 5 years. The problem is, he’s going to be on the wrong side of 35 when that contract ends. That’s the only reason the Canes would ever think about moving him.
I never said Pesce wasn't a good dman.
He is not however a top 20 dman in the league...and doesn't belong in the same breath as those D you mentioned

And yes he'd be a very good addition to Buffalo

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That may happen but that's not what is being reported and not typically what Canes have done in past
What do you mean by that? (Serious question, I’m not sure what part of his post you were referencing).

If it’s “the own rental” part, they’ve done that often. Hamilton, Trocheck, Nino recently.

If you were referencing a different thing, then I apologize.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I never said Pesce wasn't a good dman.
He is not however a top 20 dman in the league...and doesn't belong in the same breath as those D you mentioned

And yes he'd be a very good addition to Buffalo
How about a list of defensive defencemen?
Then narrow it down to those who are RD.
Those two attributes are what you and many other teams ate seeking...Yes?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What do you mean by that? (Serious question, I’m not sure what part of his post you were referencing).

If it’s “the own rental” part, they’ve done that often. Hamilton, Trocheck, Nino recently.
Probably dumb of me but something I read in article by a Cane blogger and going off the Skinner deal I suppose.
Apparently I'm wrong on that front.

How about a list of defensive defencemen?
Then narrow it down to those who are RD.
Those two attributes are what you and many other teams ate seeking...Yes?
Go back to the original post I was responding to. He was listing Dmen like Makar, Dahlin and Sergachev.. this wasn't about defensive R dmen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Probably dumb of me but something I read in article by a Cane blogger and going off the Skinner deal I suppose.
Early on, you are correct. Skinner and Faulk both fell into that category. Since then, it’s changed.

Won’t surprise me either way with Pesce.

Also, I’ve been a Canes fan who thinks any return for Pesce will be underwhelming and would like to keep him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerz

Grinner

May 31, 2022

Go back to the original post I was responding to. He was listing Dmen like Makar, Dahlin and Sergachev.. this wasn't about defensive R dmen.
Okay.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Nylander + Grebenkin for Pesce + Morrow.
Elite top line winger + really good power forward prospect for a top pair Rhd and a really good d prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad