Value of: Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Why not just Nylander plus a 2nd for Pesce? I think the person who said that nailed it.

Just not sure that’s Toronto’s biggest target right now, a defensive defenseman about to enter his 30s. They probably should be looking at exactly that type, but I’m skeptical they are.

Nylander is worth a little more then Pesce, so if adding Morrow doesn't work then Nylander for Pesce + 2024 2nd. That's as fair an offer as you will get considering the canes are cup contenders and want to compete.
It makes sense on paper, but who knows if either team even wants the other player. Carolina seems picky, they might just prefer 1st round picks.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Why not just Nylander plus a 2nd for Pesce? I think the person who said that nailed it.

Just not sure that’s Toronto’s biggest target right now, a defensive defenseman about to enter his 30s. They probably should be looking at exactly that type, but I’m skeptical they are.

It makes sense on paper, but who knows if either team even wants the other player. Carolina seems picky, I’d they might just prefer 1st round picks.
Nylander is worth more then Pesce factoring in age and the fact Nylander is a 40 goal scorer. The 2nd would be attached to Pesce.

It makes sense on paper, but who knows if either team even wants the other player. Carolina seems picky, they might just prefer 1st round picks.
The canes need offense not 1st round picks. The Leafs need an excellent shutdown Rhd not picks either.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Nylander is worth more than Pesce factoring in age and the fact Nylander is a 40 goal scorer. The 2nd would be attached to Pesce.
D’oh, that’s what I meant to say - added the 2nd to the wrong side.

Is CAR willing to give Nylander the 8x$9.5 he wants? Just doesn’t seem like their style.

Are the canes really going to have $17m locked up in two LWs, the least valuable position? I don’t see them doing that in a million years, I’m sorry.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012

Is CAR willing to give Nylander the 8x$9.5 he wants? Just doesn’t seem like their style.

Are the canes really going to have $17m locked up in two LWs, the least valuable position? I don’t see them doing that in a million years, I’m sorry.
The Canes are one of the best run organizations in the NHL, if they decide to trade for and sign Nylander I wouldn't question it. They know what they are doing 99% of the time.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The Canes are one of the best run organizations in the NHL, if they decide to trade for and sign Nylander I wouldn't question it. They know what they are doing 99% of the time.
That’s my whole point. They’re good for the exact reason that they don’t trade for players like Nylander right before he’s due a brand new UFA extension. This isn’t something a smart org would do imo, and definitely something the canes have never done.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
That’s my whole point. They’re good for the exact reason that they don’t trade for players like Nylander right before he’s due a brand new UFA extension. This isn’t something a smart org would do imo, and definitely something the canes have never done.
Guess we will have to wait and see. I'd personally like to keep Nylander based on age and production.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
It looks like they are kind of in the same boat with pesce as the leafs are with nylander. Both are going to want to get paid. This at least is a good old fashion hockey trade where each teams gets their needs satisfied. They can sort out the contracts over the course of the year but at least in the short term both players help their new teams imo.

It seems almost perfect. Since both teams are trying to win now, what other team can offer the player the other needs rather then futures which are not helpful in the moment?

Reactions: Hockey 4 Life

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It looks like they are kind of in the same boat with pesce as the leafs are with nylander. Both are going to want to get paid. This at least is a good old fashion hockey trade where each teams gets their needs satisfied. They can sort out the contracts over the course of the year but at least in the short term both players help their new teams imo.

It seems almost perfect. Since both teams are trying to win now, what other team can offer the player the other needs rather then futures which are not helpful in the moment?
It does make sense on paper. I think Toronto fans would hang the GM before the season started if he did that, though I bet it would end up working out pretty well and they'd come around.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
It does make sense on paper. I think Toronto fans would hang the GM before the season started if he did that, though I bet it would end up working out pretty well and they'd come around.
Maybe not. I think most of us leaf fans feel like it makes sense to move one of nylander or marner for a defenseman. I dont think it would be too bad.

I would love to see a nylander and lilly for pesce and necas deal with some odds and ends to balance things out. Fun to dream lol

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Maybe not. I think most of us leaf fans feel like it makes sense to move one of nylander or marner for a defenseman. I dont think it would be too bad.

I would love to see a nylander and lilly for pesce and necas deal with some odds and ends to balance things out. Fun to dream lol
I like that idea - with the new GM, maybe that’s the kind of thing he’s looking to do. The rumors are that he’s looking to be bold.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
That's way too big of a trade for a Carolina team that went to the ECF and is looking to tweak some small improvement into a group they like.

Pesce and a 2nd (or similar) for Nylander is probably the only offer there is to consider from the Canes end.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022

If that's what Nylander wants he's not leaving Toronto...They would be moving him if he wants closer to Matthews/Marner $$$. If the Canes trade for Nylander he doesn't owe them anything...get prepared for the first 8-figure AAV in Canes history.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I’ve said this before but a three way trade with WPG EDM & CAR involving Scheifele or SJS EDM & CAR involving Karlsson might work

Reactions: Grinner

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022

Maybe because the Canes are pawning off a 3-4D that provides zero offence for a 40 goal, ppg winger that has the ability to play C...and he's only 26...

If the Canes want Nylander, they can either offer Slavin or remain a treadmill playoff team (They remind of the Raptors pre-Kawhi...elite defensive team, no bad contracts, deep but no superstar up front to take them where they want to go).

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Maybe because the Canes are pawning off a 3-4D that provides zero offence for a 40 goal, ppg winger that has the ability to play C...and he's only 26...

If the Canes want Nylander, they can either offer Slavin or remain a treadmill playoff team (They remind of the Raptors pre-Kawhi...elite defensive team, no bad contracts, deep but no superstar up front to take them where they want to go).

Oh boy. Clearly Nylander has had much more playoff success than that bum Pesce…

Reactions: Raleighpig

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022

Nylander is 27. Pesce is 28, turning 29. What singular piece do you think BT can trade Nylander for that is better then Pesce? What ufa defenseman can BT sign that is better than Pesce?

If schenn looked good with Rielly, imagine how Pesce will look. Leafs issue isnt offense, their issue is building a proper team with heart and work ethic. Imos could make this trade, and use cap savings to sign one of the many ufa wingers and not skip a beat.

Imo the value is nylander for pesce and a 2nd or a bigger deal around nylander and lilly for necas and pesce with some odds and ends to balance on each side.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

1688216634751.gif

An amazing trade proposal and advice for playoff success from a leafs fan all in one post. Amazing.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017

1. Toronto fan talking about treadmill playoff team is the height of irony.

2. Canes got to the ECF. Most teams don't win the Stanley Cup, so almost every team is a treadmill team OR worse, a treadmill bottom 16 team.

3. Pesce is not a "3-4" D, he plays on the second pair because the Canes are loaded on D, (you may have heard this once or twice before). However he often takes the hardest matchups.

Your assessment of Nylander is fine, if a bit generous. Your assessment of Pesce does not comport with reality.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I'm sure Adams inquired about Pesce. And said no thanks.

Hmmm I wonder why.

Oh wait I know I know, yeah, Peterka isn't being traded for a 2nd pair D.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
I'm sure Adams inquired about Pesce. And said no thanks.

Hmmm I wonder why.

Oh wait I know I know, yeah, Peterka isn't being traded for a 2nd pair D.
***************************Plays on the second pair. Still a top pairing player.

Does Draisaitl become a second line value player when they split him and McDavid up? lol

Reactions: Chan790

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad