Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Speaking of Thomas, Jake O'Brien reminds me sooo much of him.

He just gets better and better. His poise and vision are incredible for a 16 yr old.
Agreed. He looks really good.

As we approach the trade deadline, normally the 16 year old would be a big trade chip if we want to make a big splash. But based on O’Brien’s development and how he’s already contributing, under no circumstance would I consider trading him for a rental.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
How’s Testa been? 10 goals in 16 games looks solid eh!

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
How’s Testa been? 10 goals in 16 games looks solid eh!
He has been a nice addition, and he’s having quite a breakout season this year. It’s too bad he got injured but he’s back and it’s probably just a matter of time before back to pre-injury form.

Overall it appears the coaches trust using him up and down the lineup, and he seems versatile that way. Today he was slotted on the top line while Thomas was out.

Reactions: nelli27 and LDN

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Today was pretty evident how much we miss our two best players, Thomas and Tomas. Hope it's nothing serious with Thomas, otherwise could be costly.
Hope GM pulls a rabbit or two out of hat, in form of solid D and solid C to get us on right track. Sooner the better. The way standings are, we could slide back down to bottom amazingly fast.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I’m interested to see what the Bulldogs do in the next few days. Considering who we stand to lose this summer, it makes sense to me to make a push this year, but there are more holes to fill leading up to the deadline than in 2018 and 2022. I think we all agree the D needs work. Special teams has been subpar this season, and we lack a top C for Lardis but Bujold and Xhekaj have been alright. Considering the gaps, I’m hesitant to go all in, but we stand to lose a lot of key players.

Ottawa and North Bay both look like they’ll be adding based on trades today, and Sudbury is the main team to beat in the east.

After this season Drobac and Sherk graduate. Donovan, Hamara, Okitundu, Van Vleet, Bujold, Thomas, and Xhekaj are all possible OAs next season. However, some will likely leave for the AHL anyway.

I think there’s a case to be made between 3 scenarios for the Bulldogs leading up to the deadline:

Scenario 1 - Going all in: I have no interest in trading O’Brien, but the Bulldogs stand to lose a lot of depth and there’s an argument to be made to support making a run now.

Scenario 2 - Minor improvements: considering the holes in the holes in the lineup, I could see the Bulldogs trying to fill a couple key needs and mostly staying with the current roster without unloading a bunch of assets.

Scenario 3 - Minor sell: I’m not a fan of the idea of selling but considering the gaps to be filled, the Bulldogs could listen to offers and trade 1 or 2 in demand players and acquire picks/prospects. Keep the team competitive and focus on building around Vanacker, Testa, O’Brien, and hopefully Egorov.

If it were me I’d probably lean towards a hybrid of minor add and going all in, but there are definitely some gaps to fill, and prices are high.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I’m interested to see what the Bulldogs do in the next few days. Considering who we stand to lose this summer, it makes sense to me to make a push this year, but there are more holes to fill leading up to the deadline than in 2018 and 2022. I think we all agree the D needs work. Special teams has been subpar this season, and we lack a top C for Lardis but Bujold and Xhekaj have been alright. Considering the gaps, I’m hesitant to go all in, but we stand to lose a lot of key players.

Ottawa and North Bay both look like they’ll be adding based on trades today, and Sudbury is the main team to beat in the east.

After this season Drobac and Sherk graduate. Donovan, Hamara, Okitundu, Van Vleet, Bujold, Thomas, and Xhekaj are all possible OAs next season. However, some will likely leave for the AHL anyway.

I think there’s a case to be made between 3 scenarios for the Bulldogs leading up to the deadline:

Scenario 1 - Going all in: I have no interest in trading O’Brien, but the Bulldogs stand to lose a lot of depth and there’s an argument to be made to support making a run now.

Scenario 2 - Minor improvements: considering the holes in the holes in the lineup, I could see the Bulldogs trying to fill a couple key needs and mostly staying with the current roster without unloading a bunch of assets.

Scenario 3 - Minor sell: I’m not a fan of the idea of selling but considering the gaps to be filled, the Bulldogs could listen to offers and trade 1 or 2 in demand players and acquire picks/prospects. Keep the team competitive and focus on building around Vanacker, Testa, O’Brien, and hopefully Egorov.

If it were me I’d probably lean towards a hybrid of minor add and going all in, but there are definitely some gaps to fill, and prices are high.

I really hope that I'm wrong, but I just don't see Egorov being a top tier goalie in the OHL. He is only 17 though.

We don't just need Dmen this season, we need them even more next season. Our forward group is strong.

Donovan and Hamara will be gone almost for sure. Thomas will be a lock for one of the spots. I would think Xhekaj (if he doesn't get signed), VanVleet and Bujold will be the others.

I don't see an all in push coming, but who knows. With todays deals it puts more pressure on them.

Should be an interesting 2 days, but I have no interest in seeing O'Brien, Vanacker or Testa being dealt.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I really hope that I'm wrong, but I just don't see Egorov being a top tier goalie in the OHL. He is only 17 though.

We don't just need Dmen this season, we need them even more next season. Our forward group is strong.

Donovan and Hamara will be gone almost for sure. Thomas will be a lock for one of the spots. I would think Xhekaj (if he doesn't get signed), VanVleet and Bujold will be the others.

I don't see an all in push coming, but who knows. With todays deals it puts more pressure on them.

Should be an interesting 2 days, but I have no interest in seeing O'Brien, Vanacker or Testa being dealt.
I agree about Egorov. Prior to the season I thought he needed ice time to get comfortable. He had a good preseason but he’s hardly had decent games during the regular season. So far his development path seems similar to Kaden Fulcher, who was also hyped as a good prospect goaltender but had some rough games, even after becoming the starter in 2017-18. Hopefully Egorov breaks out next season, but if the Bulldogs are buying, he’s a younger player I’d be open to trading.

Next year the D will be interesting. I’m sure the Bulldogs will be looking for 1 or 2 D next season (probably not OA). Maybe Adam Jiricek commits next year (still not getting my hopes up), or they get another import to commit. There’s also the overage draft. As a side note, I do think Cheynowski has improved this season, and have definitely noticed improvements with Roberts since mid November or so, but there’s more work to be done.

I definitely wouldn’t trade O’Brien, Testa, or Vanacker either. Even if the Bulldogs do go all in this year (unlikely), those 3 should be untouchable, which makes it difficult to truly go “all in”.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Above scenario IMO is best course of action. Trade lower tier players, salt it with picks and pickup D (Mayer, Punnet) and C that can play on top line.
Player going on D, wouldn't touch Cheynowski, obvious to me would be Roberts.
Forwards going, Rebelo, Wray and (don't lynch me for this) dangling carrot Brown.
Offensively he's fine. Big problem on our team are defensive breakdowns, and I've seen him so many times not engaging defensively, rather hovering around blue line and waiting for astray puck for breakaway. 5 players need to defend, otherwise there's breakdown.
We can try to trade Ego, but at this point don't think there's any trade value there. Better course of action would be to keep him, and see what he becomes next year.
This is by no means attempt belittling these players, as they did pour their soul into current succes of this team, but to improve you have to give some.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Above scenario IMO is best course of action. Trade lower tier players, salt it with picks and pickup D (Mayer, Punnet) and C that can play on top line.
Player going on D, wouldn't touch Cheynowski, obvious to me would be Roberts.
Forwards going, Rebelo, Wray and (don't lynch me for this) dangling carrot Brown.
Offensively he's fine. Big problem on our team are defensive breakdowns, and I've seen him so many times not engaging defensively, rather hovering around blue line and waiting for astray puck for breakaway. 5 players need to defend, otherwise there's breakdown.
We can try to trade Ego, but at this point don't think there's any trade value there. Better course of action would be to keep him, and see what he becomes next year.
This is by no means attempt belittling these players, as they did pour their soul into current succes of this team, but to improve you have to give some.
I think this is the more likely route they take. Getting Mayer would help, especially on the PP.

Jelsma is a C I’ve had in mind although I think he’d be within the mix of Bujold and Xhekaj, rather than the clear #1. His faceoffs would help puck possession and the defensive part of the game, although I can’t say I know much about his skating or playmaking.

Interesting you brought up Brown. He’s one I’ve thought of for the trade front. Recent NHL draft pick and looking to get signed, while playing on mostly the 3rd line. He has value, which the Bulldogs could get picks. However, I wouldn’t look at a contender. Younger teams might want someone like him to help generate offence. Playing on the 1st or 2nd line would help him a lot more. Another player I thought of today - Xhekaj. What contender wouldn’t want a player like him? It would suck to trade him, but if he’s only around for a few more months (still looking to be signed), the return from a trade might be worthwhile. Have the trade partner include conditional picks based on whether he returns for an OA year.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Preffered duo in my books would be Lockhart/Mayer. Obviously not sure if Lockhart is tradeable, but imagine for right price almost everyone would be. Gens paid 3rd and 5th, but think price would be higher now. Think he would make real impact upfront.
Xekaj is more valuable to this team then his on ice performance (which in it self is pretty good). Think he embodies fighting spirit of this team, glues team together, and if we loose him playoffs will be that much harder for us.
Let's see what happens, but would be shame for this team not get help at this trade deadline. They earned it.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I agree about Egorov. Prior to the season I thought he needed ice time to get comfortable. He had a good preseason but he’s hardly had decent games during the regular season. So far his development path seems similar to Kaden Fulcher, who was also hyped as a good prospect goaltender but had some rough games, even after becoming the starter in 2017-18. Hopefully Egorov breaks out next season, but if the Bulldogs are buying, he’s a younger player I’d be open to trading.

Next year the D will be interesting. I’m sure the Bulldogs will be looking for 1 or 2 D next season (probably not OA). Maybe Adam Jiricek commits next year (still not getting my hopes up), or they get another import to commit. There’s also the overage draft. As a side note, I do think Cheynowski has improved this season, and have definitely noticed improvements with Roberts since mid November or so, but there’s more work to be done.

I definitely wouldn’t trade O’Brien, Testa, or Vanacker either. Even if the Bulldogs do go all in this year (unlikely), those 3 should be untouchable, which makes it difficult to truly go “all in”.

I agree on your take with regards to both Cheynowski and Roberts, although I think both have had a terrible last week. That is probably mostly due to them being asked to play up in the lineup more because of the absence of Donovan and Hamara.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
If this is the way management goes, what a downturn. It will kill the room.
There are 30 odd games left in regular season, it'll be hard to watch. Pretty sure kids coming back next year, will not take it lightly either.
From last to first, by corporate decision back, first to last.
It will leave scar tissue.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
If this is the way management goes, what a downturn. It will kill the room.
There are 30 odd games left in regular season, it'll be hard to watch. Pretty sure kids coming back next year, will not take it lightly either.
From last to first, by corporate decision back, first to last.
It will leave scar tissue.
The key part is “minor”. A full tear down like the Petes isn’t even a question. A minor sell would be like trading someone who has value like Brown, Xhekaj, or someone else and acquiring picks and/or prospects.

Currently the Bulldogs haven’t done anything, aside from the addition of Hamara 2 months ago. I’ll be surprised if nothing more is done because it would be a wasted opportunity considering the talent we have, while knowing where improvement is still needed. Meanwhile teams like Ottawa and Kingston (both in our division) are making moves to improve their teams and make a run.

After recent trades over the past few days, including today, I think it’s safe to say going all in is off the table. I’d be okay with the Bulldogs either making minor improvements or doing a minor sell. In my opinion, either make some moves to run with this group and improve the team, or cash in on one or two guys who will likely be leaving.

I think it would be a wasted opportunity to sit on our hands with a good crop of guys, knowing there are some glaring needs. If we finish with nothing to show for (early playoff exit), there will be fair questions about staying status quo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad