Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I highly doubt it with the way they’ve been playing. He’s currently top line C between Thomas and Lardis and they have good chemistry.

I actually like Bujold on that line better, but Florian has really improved A LOT this year. I think Bujolds speed and forecheck mimics Panwar (which proved to be successful last year).

I think Florian could be back next year. Not sure that the Habs will offer him a contract yet. Time will tell I guess.

Donovan would have brought a good return, but the East isn't very strong this year. IF they could add a Dman or 2 they could be a tough out in the playoffs.

Good point about Jiricek. That would be a nice boost if it happened. I thought the Hamara deal was a curious one, but maybe that was part of the reason (along with being an Ottawa pick).

I don't see them selling at the deadline, but who knows.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I actually like Bujold on that line better, but Florian has really improved A LOT this year. I think Bujolds speed and forecheck mimics Panwar (which proved to be successful last year).

I think Florian could be back next year. Not sure that the Habs will offer him a contract yet. Time will tell I guess.

Donovan would have brought a good return, but the East isn't very strong this year. IF they could add a Dman or 2 they could be a tough out in the playoffs.

Good point about Jiricek. That would be a nice boost if it happened. I thought the Hamara deal was a curious one, but maybe that was part of the reason (along with being an Ottawa pick).

I don't see them selling at the deadline, but who knows.
Bujold has been fantastic. Thankfully there is chemistry with either Bujold or Xhekaj on the top line.

Very true about Xhekaj. He needs to get signed first.

Ideally I’d love to see Ty Nelson as a Bulldog. Great character, strong 2-way game, and strong physically. Unless the Bulldogs go all in for a run, I doubt it would happen. Even then, I’m sure some other teams would have more assets to offer than we do.

I definitely don’t see them selling now. During this past summer and earlier this season I expected them to sell a bit. Now I expect them to be fairly quiet at the deadline. Maybe make some minor upgrades. If they go all in, with whatever picks they have, I wouldn’t be against it. I see this year being a better window than next year, but there’s definitely some areas to improve within the lineup.

Reactions: Rounder8

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Bujold has been fantastic. Thankfully there is chemistry with either Bujold or Xhekaj on the top line.

Very true about Xhekaj. He needs to get signed first.

Ideally I’d love to see Ty Nelson as a Bulldog. Great character, strong 2-way game, and strong physically. Unless the Bulldogs go all in for a run, I doubt it would happen. Even then, I’m sure some other teams would have more assets to offer than we do.

I definitely don’t see them selling now. During this past summer and earlier this season I expected them to sell a bit. Now I expect them to be fairly quiet at the deadline. Maybe make some minor upgrades. If they go all in, with whatever picks they have, I wouldn’t be against it. I see this year being a better window than next year, but there’s definitely some areas to improve within the lineup.
I can see Donovan and Xhekaj or Thomas being packaged in a deal that returns another 06. Pretty sure Staois left the team a road map to success; if he is not advising them at arms length about how to complete the cycle. This is a smart management group and they aren't going to make the mistake of weighing the conference the way other GM's might. When they decide to push there is nothing minor about the move, they don't want to win games they want to win Championships.

Reactions: Canadian Game

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Watching Brantford they play a solid structured game. One of the best coached teams in the OHL IMO. Always seem hard on pucks in both ends of the ice. With the squad they have presently they would be a tough opponent to beat in the play offs.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Watching Brantford they play a solid structured game. One of the best coached teams in the OHL IMO. Always seem hard on pucks in both ends of the ice. With the squad they have presently they would be a tough opponent to beat in the play offs.
It also doesn't hurt that they have been ahead of the curve for a few years know with their management philosophy. Find me another team with six 1st rounders in their lineup. Missy has 5 and appears to have caught on.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Now the Bulldogs are playing well and are in an interesting spot. Sherk and Drobac graduate as OAs at the end of the year. Xhekaj, Donovan, and Hamara are all likely gone next season. That’s not easy to replace if they want to make a run next year.
Not sure if the team will have an opportunity next year as they have this one. IMO they need 2nd line defenceman and 1st line centre in between Thomas and Lardis (read Beck). Sure it will cost, but this management has proven over years ability to recognize opportunity and guts to pull it off.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Since Barrie is in town, Connor Punnett would be a very nice add on defense for the Bulldogs.

Chawbadoo07

Nov 2, 2013
Imagine being Barrie with a million picks and not going all in last year with Brandt Clarke.
Imagine trying to be a fan of Barrie with a sleazy owner and a Coach/GM well past his best before date. Its hard to a fan of this organization and the arena shows it some nights

Reactions: Rounder8

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Congrats to Jorian on the new Bulldogs record. Saw him play quite a bit in his AAA days and he's a great kid.

For whatever reason, I do feel obliged to point out that he's still only a little over halfway to the actual franchise mark. He'd need to return next season and have quite the year to catch PK Subban's 42 career goals in Belleville.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Imagine trying to be a fan of Barrie with a sleazy owner and a Coach/GM well past his best before date. Its hard to a fan of this organization and the arena shows it some nights
Would love if all fans were blessed with good ownership. Really don't think most Bulldog fans know how good we have it with Andlaurer.

Nothing worse than just trying to finish 3-6 every year and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle come playoff time.

Congrats to Jorian on the new Bulldogs record. Saw him play quite a bit in his AAA days and he's a great kid.

For whatever reason, I do feel obliged to point out that he's still only a little over halfway to the actual franchise mark. He'd need to return next season and have quite the year to catch PK Subban's 42 career goals in Belleville.
I wish they would somehow at least acknowledge the Belleville history, but it's never going to happen.

As far as the Bulldogs are concerned, the Bulls never existed.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Would love if all fans were blessed with good ownership. Really don't think most Bulldog fans know how good we have it with Andlaurer.

Nothing worse than just trying to finish 3-6 every year and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle come playoff time.

I wish they would somehow at least acknowledge the Belleville history, but it's never going to happen.

As far as the Bulldogs are concerned, the Bulls never existed.

In the very least, the Belleville Senators have been honoring the Bulls history with throwback sweaters etc. But yeah, having grown up a Bulls fan, I won't say it isn't a bit frustrating to have their history nearly ignored completely by the league. They had a darn good run for a small town club. There will always be some resentment in the area, little to none towards the Bulldogs (rightfully so) but definitely to the league and former Bulls ownership for how the whole thing went down.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
In the very least, the Belleville Senators have been honoring the Bulls history with throwback sweaters etc. But yeah, having grown up a Bulls fan, I won't say it isn't a bit frustrating to have their history nearly ignored completely by the league. They had a darn good run for a small town club. There will always be some resentment in the area, little to none towards the Bulldogs (rightfully so) but definitely to the league and former Bulls ownership for how the whole thing went down.

I don't blame you one bit. It's tough losing a team.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I have this weird feeling/unsubstantiated ray of hope that they are trying to get Jiricek to report after the WJC. They traded for Hamara, a fellow countryman and WJC teammate, specifically congratulated him on making the Czechia roster.

That's it. Just thinking there is a small chance, however slim. Would really solidify the D and then they could focus on adding a puck moving C that can skate with Lardis.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I have this weird feeling/unsubstantiated ray of hope that they are trying to get Jiricek to report after the WJC. They traded for Hamara, a fellow countryman and WJC teammate, specifically congratulated him on making the Czechia roster.

That's it. Just thinking there is a small chance, however slim. Would really solidify the D and then they could focus on adding a puck moving C that can skate with Lardis.

lol, I have the same feeling.

Maybe it's because they did it before with Mysak?

Even if they did add Jiricek, I would still try to add another OA dman.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Even if they did add Jiricek, I would still try to add another OA dman.
Hear, hear. So many defensive breakdowns. Given, it's not all on D, forwards needs to accept defensive accountability too.
If they to go all the way, that needs to stop. Championship teams are built from back up. You shut down GA, rest is easy.
On another note, not sure what's happening with our specialty teams. 7 PPs no goal. There were few PPs we were not even being able to establish offensive zone presence at all. Why? We were chased out of it!
Mean while, when we are on PK, we chase nobody, immediately going back to pattern 4 on 5 closing lanes, and giving them offensive zone to operate on. Not sure if that's by design, but not a good look in my book.
Team never gives up though. Always works hard, and comes back. That says a lot about coaching staff, creating atmosphere in which players can do that.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Hear, hear. So many defensive breakdowns. Given, it's not all on D, forwards needs to accept defensive accountability too.
If they to go all the way, that needs to stop. Championship teams are built from back up. You shut down GA, rest is easy.
On another note, not sure what's happening with our specialty teams. 7 PPs no goal. There were few PPs we were not even being able to establish offensive zone presence at all. Why? We were chased out of it!
Mean while, when we are on PK, we chase nobody, immediately going back to pattern 4 on 5 closing lanes, and giving them offensive zone to operate on. Not sure if that's by design, but not a good look in my book.
Team never gives up though. Always works hard, and comes back. That says a lot about coaching staff, creating atmosphere in which players can do that.

The PP is ineffective because it is one dimensional. Lardis is a great goal scorer, but EVERYBODY on the ice knows that it's going to him.

If they worked it down low more the top of the umbrella and wings will open up.

Babs716

Sep 22, 2023
The PP is ineffective because it is one dimensional. Lardis is a great goal scorer, but EVERYBODY on the ice knows that it's going to him.

Agreed. Looking forward to having Testa back…hopefully after the break. He brought more to the pp by making things happen down low and has as many pp goals as Lardis in half the amount of games played.

And side note…I think had Hamara been playing against Kingston we would have won that game….it’s impressive the impact he’s had and the shift in the team as a whole (I get this is multi factorial) but I’m interested to see what the next few weeks brings us. I’d say we are a player or two away from being a serious force to reckon with (even more so than now)

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021

Yep, its literally Lardis and 4 guys trying to get Lardis the puck. Reminds me of the PP with Kaliyev as the shooter. At least at that time they tried to do some things down low to pretend they had other options.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It also doesn't hurt that they have been ahead of the curve for a few years know with their management philosophy. Find me another team with six 1st rounders in their lineup. Missy has 5 and appears to have caught on.
Missassauga, Sudbury, and Oshawa have 6 OHL 1sts. Kingston has 7.
Missassauga does not count an OA or a 19 yr old among their 6-1sts.

Last edited:

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Missassauga, Sudbury, and Oshawa have 6 OHL 1sts. Kingston has 7.
Missassauga does not count an OA or a 19 yr old among their 6-1sts.
I stand corrected, obviuoulsy I missed a few players when scanning the rosters. Either way the point was that the Bulldogs have established a consistent cycle in their development system which has been successful in assembling a healthy core of players and winning two Championships in the last 4 contested. They will be a difficult opponent in the playoffs, and have good coaching.

Reactions: Babs716 and Smithsy

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Brantford Bulldogs is a team that could surprise opponents in the play offs. Well coached team with a solid structure. Players buy into this program.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad