Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Sam Mayer to Ottawa. Jax Dubois also traded.

Was hoping the Bulldogs would get Mayer. Would have been a good fit.

Ottawa might force Brantfords hand.

North Bay added Bronson Ride as well. They will be a tough out with the trade they made last night as well.
It’s a bit disheartening to see guys come off the board (and go to teams in our conference), while we wait to see what the Bulldogs do. Hopefully we see something soon.

Bronson Ride to NB makes sense for them. They have history of liking players with good size.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
1000020162.jpg

If indeed Bulldogs go for sell, buy/sell chart compared to current standings will look like this.
I think I see clear anomaly.
And that's what I meant by this group "earned" right to be a buyer rather then seller at trade deadline.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I think the most we will see is a tweak at this point.

There isn't a ton left. I've said before that I like Connor Punnett and he's still out there.

It sucks that everybody else around them has added. Too soon to judge, but it's starting to look like a rare L at the deadline by our management.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
It would be kinda weird to sell a month after trading for Hamura.

There's also not a whole lot left to buy. Maybe the bulldogs had their eye on someone and just got outbid?

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I like both of those guys (especially Peer), but I think their biggest need is on D.

They really struggle in their own end. It isn't all on the D, but it's a big part of it.

A big part of their breakdowns might be because they're young as well. That's why adding an OA dman would be ideal.imo

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I like both of those guys (especially Peer), but I think their biggest need is on D.

They really struggle in their own end. It isn't all on the D, but it's a big part of it.

A big part of their breakdowns might be because they're young as well. That's why adding an OA dman would be ideal.imo
So with that Brantford has subtracted a D in Donovan but got a boatload of picks back.
Kinda a mix buy and sell situation going on in Brantford it seems,,

1704752455832.png

Your immediate reaction for the fans is that sucks but you really can't pass on that deal.

Maybe they will do some value shopping to fill holes yet..

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Being a mix of buyer and seller seems silly to me.

Why trade futures for Hamura only to go out and trade Donovon? pick a strategy

Reactions: Rattler

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Maybe they didn't intend to move Donovan but then he played in the world juniors and someone made a massive offer.
Take the assets and pivot a bit there is still time here..
Its a nice offer but I have a hard time believing someone seen Donovan's one shift a game at the world juniors and his value suddenly skyrocketed.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I'm shocked by that trade, but that's a great haul for the Bulldogs.

Early this year I thought they would deal Donovan, but after their success I didn't think so.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I’m shocked about trading Donovan but that’s a tough return to pass on if we’re not making a big run. With the number (and quality) of guys leaving at the end of this season, it wouldn’t make sense to build for next year either because there will be more gaps to fill than there are now.

Hopefully the picks will likely go towards investing in D for the future, even if it’s like when we acquired 18 year old Staios for a run 2 years later. Thus time the focus might be on building around Vanacker, Testa, and O’Brien as the core.

I’m fine with the Hamara trade. We got him at great value (3rd & 4th) because he requested a trade. In theory, we could probably flip him and come out ahead. However, he stabilizes the defence, and eats more minutes so that younger guys can focus on their game and not be playing more minutes than they need to.

With Donovan being traded, Moore will likely see more ice time.

Reactions: Rounder8

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I like this deal. They weren't going to do much with Donovan, and that's a lot of draft capital to use going forward. I would never have thought they could get that much for him, and maybe it was just too good to refuse.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I’m shocked about trading Donovan but that’s a tough return to pass on if we’re not making a big run. With the number (and quality) of guys leaving at the end of this season, it wouldn’t make sense to build for next year either because there will be more gaps to fill than there are now.

Hopefully the picks will likely go towards investing in D for the future, even if it’s like when we acquired 18 year old Staios for a run 2 years later. Thus time the focus might be on building around Vanacker, Testa, and O’Brien as the core.

I’m fine with the Hamara trade. We got him at great value (3rd & 4th) because he requested a trade. In theory, we could probably flip him and come out ahead. However, he stabilizes the defence, and eats more minutes so that younger guys can focus on their game and not be playing more minutes than they need to.

With Donovan being traded, Moore will likely see more ice time.
Keep in mind that Hamara is an import and imports are always tricky when it comes to trade value.

Now that they've made this deal, I'd be exploring moving anyone that they know won't be back next year. I do think they have a lot of holes to fill for 24/25, but when you're starting with Lardis, the group of 07s they have, and a very promising 06, I think you have to look forward.

Did see you guys moving Donovan but you can’t turn down that kinda of return. The market is absurd this year
Nope, thought they would keep him and see if they could get hot and get out of the East, but the West is in arms race and thats a very solid return for him.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Keep in mind that Hamara is an import and imports are always tricky when it comes to trade value.

Now that they've made this deal, I'd be exploring moving anyone that they know won't be back next year. I do think they have a lot of holes to fill for 24/25, but when you're starting with Lardis, the group of 07s they have, and a very promising 06, I think you have to look forward.

Nope, thought they would keep him and see if they could get hot and get out of the East, but the West is in arms race and thats a very solid return for him.

From what I've seen of him, I think that Donovan is an outstanding young man. Very positive and really seems to be a team guy.

Now that I've said that, I don't think the team would be much worse off if they added an OA stay at home dman. Scoring goals is not their problem, it's preventing them.

I have a hard time questioning the teams vision when they have brought 2 championships in such a short time. I know that was Staios, but I believe the vision is still much the same.

When you see what they got for Donovan, I'm glad they didn't pay a similar price to add players when there are some truly stacked teams and our core is young.

I agree there are a lot of holes next year, but I think that is the year that our core of forwards is really ready to make a run.

Great point on the Staios deal. We may see a similar trade, but it might not happen til the offseason.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Donovan will be missed on his zone exits and entries. The list of D that can skate the puck out of the D zone and into the O zone is very small on this team.

The last thing they should have done as take what draft capital they had to add to this team, especially on these prices.

If they want to fill holes on the backend, they are going to need to have their imports report, or select the rights to ones who will.

I'm not ready to flush Egorov out yet, I think the team feels the same. I know he's looked terrible this year, but he's been good at every other level. I'd hate for them to have to use an import slot or assets to find a goalie.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Kitchener will take Hamara back for the 3rd and 4th. Thomas too you say? Ok

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

Great point about Hamara. I sometimes overlook that part.

Since Donovan was the first domino to drop, I agree about flipping non-returnees but I’d probably hang onto Hamara to help keep the defence somewhat stable. The main guys I’d take calls on are Xhekaj and Thomas because of the returns they could bring. Since it is unclear if either will return next season, tie conditional picks to both.

I’d be okay with planning for Bujold, Van Vleet, and Okitundu as OAs. Again, keep the defence somewhat stable.

Lardis will be an interesting one next year. I’d imagine the plan is to flip him at the deadline, as it will likely be his final year.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Sorry to see Cheynowski go. Think he was much better then what staff pegged him for.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad