Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Today was a bit of a surprise with both trades. I reserved judgement about the Sobolev trade because I thought it was a strange move for an OA while trading Cheynowski and Wray. The Van Vielt trade provided some clarity.

Overall I’m satisfied with the trades today. I can’t say I’m excited about the Sobolev trade, but I’m content with it. It sucks to lose Van Vliet, but that return is incredible, and Protz seems like a good addition going forward with the team’s plans. With the combination of both trades, I’m satisfied.

Although we could see more movement, this is how I currently picture our defence:

Sobolev - Hamara
Okitundu - Moore
Protz - Roberts
Chen

From looking at Sudbury’s lines, Protz has consistently being 2nd line LD, so I kept him on the left.

Reactions: Rounder8

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I wonder if Carson Lloyd will get any games now that some spots have opened up. I thought he played well last year in the few games here.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Although we could see more movement, this is how I currently picture our defence:

Sobolev - Hamara
Okitundu - Moore
Protz - Roberts
Chen
I would keep Moore with Hamara on first, Sobolev - Okitundu on second...
Time will tell, but don't see this D much worse then before, while it's hard to argue against number of picks picked.
Hope they could possibly pick C today, maybe Jelsma, even if that cost them some picks (oh no🫣).

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Screenshot_20240110_144921_Chrome.jpg
Ok, I'm back on Bulldogs bandwagon with this latest trade. It's been hectic few days, but I'd peg it succesfull trade deadline. Racked ton of picks, while potentially got better. Latter to be proven. Congrats to management, imagine it might have been stressful couple of days for them.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
You will like both Sobolev and Lavoie...Sobolev played well for us...Lavoie will be better on a team where he doesn't have to be a top 3 player

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
You will like both Sobolev and Lavoie...Sobolev played well for us...Lavoie will be better on a team where he doesn't have to be a top 3 player

He had a great 17 year old season (after covid). Then went to the ice dogs. He could put up Lardis numbers with the Bulldogs

• Haha
Reactions: dirty12

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
He had a great 17 year old season (after covid). Then went to the ice dogs. He could put up Lardis numbers with the Bulldogs

He'll also be a VERY good OA next year.

That leaves them with potentially Lavoie, Thomas, Xhekaj and Bujold as OA next year. That's a solid group if you're trying to make a run.

They should still be a solid squad in the second half (although life in our own end will be tough).

Next year they should be set at forward. Any additions would need to come on the back end or in net.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Just going through the prospect list from the 23 Draft and according to Joshua Avery's EP page he has been moved from Hamilton (GOJHL) to Lindsey (OJHL). I wonder if their plans/opinion for him have changed or if it was just a move to get a young kid much closer to home.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I would have looked a lot smarter if I was home and able to post this sooner, but Lavoie might be the help they need for their PP because they now have a shooter on both sides, so the penalty kill can't focus on Lardis as much.

It didn't take long to make a difference.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Just going through the prospect list from the 23 Draft and according to Joshua Avery's EP page he has been moved from Hamilton (GOJHL) to Lindsey (OJHL). I wonder if their plans/opinion for him have changed or if it was just a move to get a young kid much closer to home.
Interesting. He was at the Bulldogs game last Sunday versus Mississauga.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Solid game today despite the loss. Chemistry will take time but the all of the new guys looked good.

One noticeable difference today was the number of one-timers from the Bulldogs, which we really haven’t seen a lot of this season. Glad to see the power play not as predictable, and Lavoie looks like he’s not afraid to shoot. Even Protz was putting pucks on net, and Sobolev had the game tying goal.

We still got a point. In theory, they should have a good game against Barrie tomorrow.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I would have looked a lot smarter if I was home and able to post this sooner, but Lavoie might be the help they need for their PP because they now have a shooter on both sides, so the penalty kill can't focus on Lardis as much.

It didn't take long to make a difference.
It made a difference almost immediately. I didn't even consider it at the time of the deal, but the PP should see a nice bump.

Interesting. He was at the Bulldogs game last Sunday versus Mississauga.
Sounds like it was just a move to get him closer to home.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
It made a difference almost immediately. I didn't even consider it at the time of the deal, but the PP should see a nice bump.

Sounds like it was just a move to get him closer to home.

As much as I like O'Brien and Thomas, having them on the same PP unit isn't ideal. They are both elite puck distributors, but you need trigger men or the other team just loads up on the shooter.

Reactions: Jawk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad