Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
It’s an interesting move. I guess tomorrow we’ll have a better idea about the end goal after the deadline. Sobolev adds to the need of stay at home D.

Since Sobolev and Hamara are imports, does this release Adam Jiricek? Or can we hang onto Jiricek’s rights since he hasn’t committed and we’ll lose Sobolev and likely Hamara at the end of the season?

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
It’s an interesting move. I guess tomorrow we’ll have a better idea about the end goal after the deadline. Sobolev adds to the need of stay at home D.

Since Sobolev and Hamara are imports, does this release Adam Jiricek? Or can we hang onto Jiricek’s rights since he hasn’t committed and we’ll lose Sobolev and likely Hamara at the end of the season?

On the surface, this deal doesn't make sense, but until tomorrow is over nothing can be clear.

If we lose Jiricek, it doesn't make any sense at all. Unless they knew there was no chance of him coming here.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
04 Defenceman. Guessing Van Vliet because the other one isn’t that good. Scouting report?

On VanVliet.

My take is a strong stay at home dman. Not a lot of offense. Brings good size and physicality. Nothing flashy, just solid.

During the championship season he bumped Jorian Donovan from the lineup during the Bulldogs playoff run.

Anything on what would be coming Brantfords way? That leaves them very short on dmen.

Nevermind, I see that the deal is done.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I almost hate to ask, but where would you see Okitundu playing on a contender? 2nd pair? 3rd pair? And *gulp* what's the asking price?

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I like all these deals.

I don't love the Sobolev deal, but I think mostly they want some stability for the rest of the year. It makes a little more sense after moving out Van Vliet. I thought Cheynowski should some flashes and Wray never got much of an opportunity.

I think they did very well in the Van Vliet deal. Getting a quality 2006 D in Protz, plus picks. Nice bit of work done there.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I almost hate to ask, but where would you see Okitundu playing on a contender? 2nd pair? 3rd pair? And *gulp* what's the asking price?
Quality shutdown 3rd pair. Big PK minutes. Could slide up as a #4 in a pinch. His best games are when you don't even notice him out there. I wish he was meaner, but thats just me.

Who knows what the asking would be given some of these prices. 2, 3, and a 4?

EDIT: His skating prevents him from playing more minutes shutting down other threats.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Quality shutdown 3rd pair. Big PK minutes. Could slide up as a #4 in a pinch. His best games are when you don't even notice him out there. I wish he was meaner, but thats just me.

Who knows what the asking would be given some of these prices. 2, 3, and a 4?
The description of the player exactly matches what I believe the Soo should be targeting. But I balk at the price. See what Raftis does...

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
With this obviously being a full sell do they look at dealing Xhekaj or Thomas?

I would keep Thomas because I see him being here as an OA, but IF they think that Florian will get signed to a contract it could happen.

I'm very happy that they added a 17 yr old dman. I'm still not crazy about dealing Cheynowski, but overall Turek has absolutely killed it this deadline.

It's obviously a sellers market right now.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
With this obviously being a full sell do they look at dealing Xhekaj or Thomas?

I would keep Thomas because I see him being here as an OA, but IF they think that Florian will get signed to a contract it could happen.

I'm very happy that they added a 17 yr old dman. I'm still not crazy about dealing Cheynowski, but overall Turek has absolutely killed it this deadline.

It's obviously a sellers market right now.
Seems a little like they think they haven't taken a huge step back. You could atleast have a discussion that the D group is better now than it was to start the year. Yes, Donovan is gone, but 1 through 6 it might be better. They had already gone to Hamara running the #1 PP unit.

Having said that, if they get a call from anyone looking to overpay, and that player is not 100% in the plans for next year, I'd move them.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Seems a little like they think they haven't taken a huge step back. You could atleast have a discussion that the D group is better now than it was to start the year. Yes, Donovan is gone, but 1 through 6 it might be better. They had already gone to Hamara running the #1 PP unit.

Having said that, if they get a call from anyone looking to overpay, and that player is not 100% in the plans for next year, I'd move them.

Agree on all those points.

There have been some crazy deals and if the option is there why not. They are not substantially worse now than they were 2 days ago.

Seeing these deals I agree on them not pushing their chips in.

My guess is Egorov will see more time in the 2nd half. I hope that I'm wrong about him.

If not they will have to address goaltending in the offseason.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Ice Dogs fan here, can someone tell me about the two players we got? Is it a good deal?
I can speak more about Cheynowski than Wray but overall, you’re getting 2 raw 17 year old players who are developing. I can’t say I really have much to critique about either one, but both have had limited playing time.

Cheynowski is a puck-moving D who I think has made positive strides in his development this year. Not very physical. Last year he was getting beat defensively a lot, but had very limited experience. Whereas this year, he’s improved his game but is still developing. Give him time. I’m very interested to see what kind of D and the kind of points he puts up. He mainly just needs to play games, and ice time.

Wray has mainly been playing 4th line wing due to our depth at C. I’ve found he plays a fairly stable game. Nothing flashy but has been part of our penalty kill, which speaks to our coaches’ trust in his defensive game.

Ranger77

Dec 29, 2014
Did Kitchener get fleeced in the Hamara deal with you guys only giving up a 3rd and a 4th or is Van Vliet that much better than Hamara to warrant a player, two 2nds and a third?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I can speak more about Cheynowski than Wray but overall, you’re getting 2 raw 17 year old players who are developing. I can’t say I really have much to critique about either one, but both have had limited playing time.

Cheynowski is a puck-moving D who I think has made positive strides in his development this year. Not very physical. Last year he was getting beat defensively a lot, but had very limited experience. Whereas this year, he’s improved his game but is still developing. Give him time. I’m very interested to see what kind of D and the kind of points he puts up. He mainly just needs to play games, and ice time.

Wray has mainly been playing 4th line wing due to our depth at C. I’ve found he plays a fairly stable game. Nothing flashy but has been part of our penalty kill, which speaks to our coaches’ trust in his defensive game.
I appreciate the breakdown. Thank you!

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Did Kitchener get fleeced in the Hamara deal with you guys only giving up a 3rd and a 4th or is Van Vliet that much better than Hamara to warrant a player, two 2nds and a third?

They're different types of players, but if you asked me who I would rather have on my team, it's Hamara and it isn't close.

Both of these deals are VERY good for the Bulldogs imo.

That doesn't mean they aren't good for the other teams though. If Sudbury wins and Van Vliet is a part of it, then they got what they wanted as well.

I appreciate the breakdown. Thank you!

I actually really think that Wray has some potential but hasn't been able to put it together.

6'3 with pretty good speed. If he gets ice time and figures things out he could turn into a pretty good player.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad