Player Discussion: Brandon Hagel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He only got better and better as time went on, and really impressed me despite playing through a broken foot midway through playoffs. Very few players his age are complete enough to be trusted against elite opposition while being able to chip in 20+ goals and provide some sandpaper.

Reactions: Peacefool

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The problem isn’t Hagel, the problem is what it cost to acquire Hagel. The opportunity cost of his contract over other middle 6 forwards evaporated when he was put into a third line role away from Kane and stopped producing. It should have been obvious that regression would happen, the real question is if an offseason and training camp gives him a bit of a rebound.

The reward for trading Hagel was so nice Chicago decided to blow up their current rebuild and start over ffs. Just hope we don’t have a couple of mediocre seasons to make this trade even worse than it appears to be at face value.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
The problem isn’t Hagel, the problem is what it cost to acquire Hagel. The opportunity cost of his contract over other middle 6 forwards evaporated when he was put into a third line role away from Kane and stopped producing. It should have been obvious that regression would happen, the real question is if an offseason and training camp gives him a bit of a rebound.

The reward for trading Hagel was so nice Chicago decided to blow up their current rebuild and start over ffs. Just hope we don’t have a couple of mediocre seasons to make this trade even worse than it appears to be at face value.
Kane played with DeBrincat and Strome.
Hagel played with Toews.

Hagel near the end got some PP time for sure but his output for Chicago was not due to playing with Kane.

I think losing McDonough will hurt more than you all let on. Forces an aging Hedman back into a shutdown role which will impact his ability to help the offense.

I don’t see Tampa coming back. There are a lot of hard miles on Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Vasi. They aren’t kids anymore.
Will Point be 100%? How effective will Cirelli be coming back from injury? Who can replace McD next to Cernak?
There are plenty of holes and ? marks.

Reactions: Rschmitz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hagel is the guy who could make or break us, really. If he doesn't find a way to produce, we are stuck with a great top tier of forwards, but then below average depth. If he finds a way to score even half a point per game, it's like adding top-six production to last year's group, which we obviously needed.

Obviously, I was pretty disappointed in some of the off-season decisions. But I still have some hope that Hagel might pleasantly surprise us (15-20 goals, 40-45 points). And then if Nick Paul's run with us turns out to not be a mirage, we suddenly have a team that can still compete. Or maybe we still need a good surprise on D...

I don't know. Just saying, we know what we have in most of our players. Even if they don't show up until April, we pretty much know what we can count on, and how much, when the chips are down. Hagel, and Paul too, are still kind of question marks, but if they could put us right back in the mix.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hagel played with Toews.

Hagel near the end got some PP time for sure but his output for Chicago was not due to playing with Kane.

I think losing McDonough will hurt more than you all let on. Forces an aging Hedman back into a shutdown role which will impact his ability to help the offense.

I don’t see Tampa coming back. There are a lot of hard miles on Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Vasi. They aren’t kids anymore.
Will Point be 100%? How effective will Cirelli be coming back from injury? Who can replace McD next to Cernak?

He started the year with Toews but Kane was his most frequent line mate after the first month.

Obviously I agree with you on McDonagh, we aren’t as good now, but we will always have a shot as long as we have Vasy, Heddy, and great center depth. People thinking we won’t see much of a drop are wrong though

Reactions: DFC

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Hagel played with Toews.

"Plenty of holes"? Okay....The oldest of the main core is 32, not 35+. Stamkos just had arguably his best season. They have played a fair amount of hockey recently, but there are not "plenty of holes". The core is still top 5 in the league, and while losing McD and Palat wasn't ideal, it's not like Tampa is no longer a top contender. Most of the main group are still in their 20's or just into their 30's. The window is very much still open.

The team will need better depth scoring and to avoid key injuries in the playoffs, but that holds true for any of the top contenders that make a deep run. They are fine overall, and if they have some struggles out of the gate because of a couple new guys trying to adjust, a short offseason and the injuries to Cirelli and Bogo, it will surprise few. This isn't a team that's about to fall off a cliff and miss the playoffs(barring a wave of injuries like 2017), and as was seen last year, they don't care much about going all out all year to win the division. If they can stay healthy and finish top 3, they know how to ramp it up when the games matter.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
HOPEFULLY with a offseasin ansld training camp he finds his game and fits in. He has the wheels and talent to be a 20-30 goal scorer with about 20 assist. He is young and probably hungry to earn a payday from another team.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
This is how he looked when I watched him with Chicago just before the trade.

I think he was trying too hard to be modest- just fit in and play a support role- here.

If his recent play becomes his norm and Perbix continues to make strides, we’ve addressed a few holes.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
This is how he looked when I watched him with Chicago just before the trade.

I think he was trying too hard to be modest- just fit in and play a support role- here.

If his recent play becomes his norm and Perbix continues to make strides, we’ve addressed a few holes.
He has looked better. Perbix ooks like a nhl defenseman.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Anyone still doubting JBB for his moves now?
Nope. Hagel and Paul are plus players. The Lightning have not had a top 20 draft pick in a decade? Yet some of those guys are contributing. Perbix is playing above expectations. Koepke seems to belong in the NHL and is not a liability.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Anyone still doubting JBB for his moves now?
I'm going to doubt him for the length of the Serge and Cirelli contracts until they take another significant step forward in their development.

I'm happy that Hagel is starting to work out playing with our two best offensive players in Point and Kucherov, but we're just 9 games into the season. I'll feel better about trading two first rounders for him after he puts up a couple of 20 goal seasons.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I always thought Hagel should be given the benefit of the doubt. I might still be wrong on that. My issues with JBB were, and are, more about this past off-season. I feel like it would have been possible to keep Palat and the Sergachev contract goes against what we've been doing well for a decade. It feels like we didnt try to keep our window pried open.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
COUNTERPOINT: the best way to keep the window open, was throwing McD out of it.
defenestrations-of-prague-featured.jpg

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know he's playing with Point and Kuch, but he looks far from a passenger on that line. Dangerous more often than not. Goes a long way to cushion the blow of losing Palat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad