Player Discussion: Brandon Hagel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I already posted my thoughts on lines

Bagel - Celery - Peary and @Felonious Python called it?!?!?

The checkout line :)

Winner Winner - we have a solid 3rd line

Reactions: DFC

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
There's one element that some players have in abundance and some do not. Hard work and determination can mask it, but if you don't have what is dubbed "hockey IQ" you're gonna struggle. Simply put. If you're not a top end talent given ample time and opportunities to come through and learn the game, you're going to struggle. There's not a whole lot that is sexy about Palats ability with the puck. Decent shot, solid passing, but what is off the charts is his IQ in all types of situations. Along the boards, in his end, neutral zone, in the corner, just about anywhere, he's got it together. Add that with a solid frame and it's no wonder (of course hard work...) he is where he is.

I look at Hagel and see a young player with great skating, solid passing and a peanut between the ears for hockey IQ offensively. He's earning trust with Cooper on the defensive side of the game, which will bode well, but offensively the guy is like one of those air things in front of used car lots that blow around. The wind blows and he loses his balance. He beats someone to the outside and curls back. He still has time to learn those aspects but from what I saw in like half a seasons worth so far from him was not comforting. He is more vanilla and snakebitten than Joseph.

If you are correct in your assessment - and I'm not saying you are as it's only been half a season's worth of games and he played most of that on the lower lines with no PP time - then whoever convinced JB to give up two first rounds picks for him probably needs to be fired.

We know Hagel was productive with Kane, I'd like to see him get a thorough evaluation in camp (more than just a couple of games) playing with either Point or Kucherov on his line, and if neither of those work, then with them both. If that doesn't work, then I'll consider those two first rounders completely stolen and whoever made that call completely clueless.

Someone raised a concern about the size of a Hagel - Point - Kucherov line. I don't think that's a concern as Chicago had a line with Debrincat (tiny) and Kane (same size as Hagel) as their top line.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
If we need to add a bagel to sweeten up dumping Killer, then do it.

Otherwise keep him here.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I am confused at the vitriol for Hagel? We are turning him into Coleman 2.0. Almost identical trajectory so far. Is it the right choice? Maybe not, he probably has was more an offensive touch than Coleman did. But you can’t knock the guy when he’s played like 3 games in an offensive role on the team.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I am confused at the vitriol for Hagel? We are turning him into Coleman 2.0. Almost identical trajectory so far. Is it the right choice? Maybe not, he probably has was more an offensive touch than Coleman did. But you can’t knock the guy when he’s played like 3 games in an offensive role on the team.

He was on an offensive role all playoffs, this is such a played out excuse. Or are we going to pretend he didn't have half a dozen golden chances and a handful of breakaways?

Just because Patrick Kane wasn't feeding him tapins (which he also missed 2 of btw) doesn't mean he wasn't used offensively. The guy doesn't finish and doesn't create much on his own which is primarily why his production sucked. How does he have more offense than Coleman? Coleman produced the same numbers Hagel had with Kane when he was playing with Gourde.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
He was on an offensive role all playoffs, this is such a played out excuse. Or are we going to pretend he didn't have half a dozen golden chances and a handful of breakaways?

Just because Patrick Kane wasn't feeding him tapins (which he also missed 2 of) doesn't mean he wasn't used offensively. The guy doesn't finish and doesn't create much on his own which is primarily why his production sucked.
Agreed. Hands =/= feet

Broken foot or not, the guy took muffin shots all four rounds, scored an empty netter and a goal in front of Campbell. He was putrid offensively and it's not like he didn't have chances. He did. He actually had more chances to shoot or make a play and he never did. Not sure what people were watching.

Full credit to him as a hustler and the toughness to stick it out on a fractured foot. Seriously. But, as we critique everyone, his offense was horrible. His speed creates problems and his hands, shot, decision making totally neutered every chance. "Defensive role" doesn't mean you're excused to Killorn-it by leaving with a 0 scoreline over your head, or in his case, a whopping two. Maroon had more goals.

When he was put with top 6 skill guys, he didn't look good either. I'll give him a pass as he was so new and hope he comes around this coming season but let's not act like for 8 weeks or whatever this board wasn't like "Hagel wtf!!!" when he missed chance after chance.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Coleman produced the same numbers Hagel had with the Lightning before that break before the bubble playoffs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Coleman had a worse start than Hagel, he played 9 games only though - they were awful then he came alive when it mattered in the next 23. Hagel has played the equivalent of half a season for Tampa already and had twice the amount of games to get acclimated in the RS than Coleman did.

Hagel with TB: 45 games: 6 goals, 13 points.

Those are awful numbers no way to spin that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coopers Gum

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Coleman had a worse start than Hagel, he played 9 games, they were awful then he came alive when it mattered. Hagel has played the equivalent of half a season for Tampa already and had twice the amount of games to get acclimated in the RS than Coleman did.

Hagel with TB: 45 games: 6 goals, 13 points.

Those are awful numbers no way to spin that.
It's Joseph level. Maybe a tad better...

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
But Joseph had 6 years in our organization to learn the ropes; Bagel had 2 weeks

Bagel is also 2 years younger, played with a broken foot; so, yeah, I think give him some slack and he's cheap

I don't think Hagel was unaware of what he was traded for and the expectations that come with that kind of price. He's probably never had expectations like that for him to produce offensively at the NHL level before as he was just a 6th round pick.

I'm hoping the offseason and a training camp with the team allows him to find chemistry with some combination of any top six forwards and he maybe ekes out a 20 goal season. That'd still be a terrible return for for TWO first round draft picks when our cupboard is already pretty bare, but it would something. And I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, in spite of how underwhelming his first 40+ games were.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think Hagel was unaware of what he was traded for and the expectations that come with that kind of price. He's probably never had expectations like that for him to produce offensively at the NHL level before as he was just a 6th round pick.

I'm hoping the offseason and a training camp with the team allows him to find chemistry with some combination of any top six forwards and he maybe ekes out a 20 goal season. That'd still be a terrible return for for TWO first round draft picks when our cupboard is already pretty bare, but it would something. And I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, in spite of how underwhelming his first 40+ games were.
Considering how few of our 1st rounders have turned into 20 goal-scorers, I feel like that would be just fine.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
ABB was equal to Bagel, IMHO. Either way, if we can dump salary and keep the run going, it's worth it.
Disagree there. ABB looked dangerous at times, much like Hagel, but Hagel has the extra element of being an energy guy. ABB isn't that.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Hagel might eke out one 20 goal season with us?

The guy had 21 goals in 55 games with Chicago… He has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Just because Patrick Kane wasn't feeding him tapins (which he also missed 2 of btw) doesn't mean he wasn't used offensively. The guy doesn't finish and doesn't create much on his own which is primarily why his production sucked. How does he have more offense than Coleman? Coleman produced the same numbers Hagel had with Kane when he was playing with Gourde.
Offensive role? All playoffs? Were you watching the same playoffs? Basically since the Florida series, he was deployed as a shutdown line with Cirelli or Killorn. They were solely out there to shut down other teams top lines. Offense was secondary to that line. It’s like you decided to just hate on Hagel because you needed a target.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Offensive role? All playoffs? Were you watching the same playoffs? Basically since the Florida series, he was deployed as a shutdown line with Cirelli or Killorn. They were solely out there to shut down other teams top lines. Offense was secondary to that line. It’s like you decided to just hate on Hagel because you needed a target.

"Shutdown line" doesn't mean they get to play offense at all, you talk like that means they spend 90% of the time their own zone. Seems like people just make dumb excuses because they're too scared to admit anything wrong. Killorn gets a lot of flack too and no it wasn't cause he was "too busy playing defense" it's cause he didn't do anything offensively either, unless it was setting up Hagel for a tap in that couldn't be finished.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coopers Gum

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hagel could’ve easily had two or three more goals in the playoffs with all the chances he got. Whether it was nerves or injuries or whatever, we don’t know. But it is what it is. That said he did a fine job in the energy / shutdown role Cooper put him into. Coop even said they “forced” him to do a complete 180 for the playoffs: defense, hit, block. It’s what the team needed and what worked. That doesn’t mean they won’t have him look for offense first in the upcoming season.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
The hate Hagel gets is unreal. This kid is going to prove a lot of people wrong.

Saying someone isn’t good and his play wasn’t worth what we paid ISNT HATING!! If anything most people are in denial about what type of player he is.

People trash Sergachev and Kucherov on this forum but stan Hagel? I just don’t get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad