Player Discussion: Brandon Hagel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Saying someone isn’t good and his play wasn’t worth what we paid ISNT HATING!! If anything most people are in denial about what type of player he is.

People trash Sergachev and Kucherov on this forum but stan Hagel? I just don’t get it
Saying a young player isn’t good based off of such a limited view is ridiculous. Give the kid at least a preseason and year on the team to evaluate where he’s at before shipping him off with Killorn.

Wrongly or rightly, Serg and Kuch get shit because they are established players who at times do not play to the level they are capable of.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Saying someone isn’t good and his play wasn’t worth what we paid ISNT HATING!! If anything most people are in denial about what type of player he is.

People trash Sergachev and Kucherov on this forum but stan Hagel? I just don’t get it
I think we paid for the contract, not the player. He makes 1.5m and plays a role. Nobody on his line was very good offensively. But I think the amount of chances Hagel had is a positive, not a negative. If he goes 200 games getting those chances and not finishing, then, well, he's a 1.5m player after all and not a big bargain. But after 45 games, 20ish played with a broken foot and a center with one shoulder, I'm not sure we can draw the conclusion that he's terrible.

I'm not looking for 20 goals. I don't think he will have a role here that will allow that. But 15 goals as a tweener wouldn't be a bad year for a guy with his cap hit. And also, the fact that he brought a little bit of speed back to the line up isn't a bad thing. I don't want to replace him with somebody slower.

Our drafting under JBB has, frankly, not been good. He's been much better at finding talent in the pros. So I would rather see him spend picks on young NHL talent where we can. It's unlikely we would have gotten a player as good as Hagel with either of the picks we gave up for him.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Disagree there. ABB looked dangerous at times, much like Hagel, but Hagel has the extra element of being an energy guy. ABB isn't that.
I think ABB's tour of the league ending in Seattle, etc. cured that. I'll bet his energy is higher next season.

Reactions: DFC

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think we paid for the contract, not the player. He makes 1.5m and plays a role. Nobody on his line was very good offensively. But I think the amount of chances Hagel had is a positive, not a negative. If he goes 200 games getting those chances and not finishing, then, well, he's a 1.5m player after all and not a big bargain. But after 45 games, 20ish played with a broken foot and a center with one shoulder, I'm not sure we can draw the conclusion that he's terrible.

I'm not looking for 20 goals. I don't think he will have a role here that will allow that. But 15 goals as a tweener wouldn't be a bad year for a guy with his cap hit. And also, the fact that he brought a little bit of speed back to the line up isn't a bad thing. I don't want to replace him with somebody slower.

Our drafting under JBB has, frankly, not been good. He's been much better at finding talent in the pros. So I would rather see him spend picks on young NHL talent where we can. It's unlikely we would have gotten a player as good as Hagel with either of the picks we gave up for him.

We definitely payed for the player we thought he was in Chicago as well, you're not shelling out 2 1st round picks another player who was a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick player for a guy who scored 13 points 45 games cause he's cheap. JBB was banking on immediate impact and a value player contributing above their caphit, we didn't get that this year and that's the point of targeting these types of contracts, not just attaining a cheap player. Coleman and Goodrow combined cost 2.7m for us and played like 4-5m players.

Doesn't mean he can't improve but that trade is definitely a loss for us right now.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Saying a young player isn’t good based off of such a limited view is ridiculous. Give the kid at least a preseason and year on the team to evaluate where he’s at before shipping him off with Killorn.

Wrongly or rightly, Serg and Kuch get shit because they are established players who at times do not play to the level they are capable of.

You do know he's on a limited time frame right? That's like saying you don't expect deadline rentals to perform at all and their shouldn't be any expectation because they're joining a new team mid-season. It;s not like he's an 18 year old draft pick, he's 23 same age as Sergachev now and Cirelli in 2020 when he was getting flack for underperforming in a cup run.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We definitely payed for the player we thought he was in Chicago as well, you're not shelling out 2 1st round picks another player who was a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick player for a guy who scored 13 points 45 games cause he's cheap. JBB was banking on immediate impact and a value player contributing above their caphit, we didn't get that this year and that's the point of targeting these types of contracts, not just attaining a cheap player. Coleman and Goodrow combined cost 2.7m for us and played like 4-5m players.
Yeah, as of now he hasn't played above his cap hit. But I mean, we paid a 1st for Goodrow, and I don't think he played like a 4m player here, as beloved as he was. He was better defensively than Hagel but his offense was roughly the same (not arguing Hagel was/is better), but Hagel definitely has more offensive upside.

I just think it's too early to tell with Hagel. It's hard to hold the playoffs against any of the 2nd line, since they were mainly charged with shutting down the opposition, which they did, and at least two of them, Hagel included, were dealing with serious injuries nearly the entire way.

I mean, we have no choice but to see how he does with a full season with us, hopefully healthy. To me, he looks like a 15 goal 3rd liner, who can possibly help create an energy line. We've seen good players go through major slumps before, or just be majorly, majorly snakebit (Gourde, obviously; Cirelli). Hagel had a lot of chances. The fact that he has finished chances at every level, including the NHL, makes me doubt that he's a guy who just can't finish. Although I don't see him as a 25 goal guy either.

Reactions: Hoek and Sky04

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, as of now he hasn't played above his cap hit. But I mean, we paid a 1st for Goodrow, and I don't think he played like a 4m player here, as beloved as he was. He was better defensively than Hagel but his offense was roughly the same (not arguing Hagel was/is better), but Hagel definitely has more offensive upside.

I just think it's too early to tell with Hagel. It's hard to hold the playoffs against any of the 2nd line, since they were mainly charged with shutting down the opposition, which they did, and at least two of them, Hagel included, were dealing with serious injuries nearly the entire way.

I mean, we have no choice but to see how he does with a full season with us, hopefully healthy. To me, he looks like a 15 goal 3rd liner, who can possibly help create an energy line. We've seen good players go through major slumps before, or just be majorly, majorly snakebit (Gourde, obviously; Cirelli). Hagel had a lot of chances. The fact that he has finished chances at every level, including the NHL, makes me doubt that he's a guy who just can't finish. Although I don't see him as a 25 goal guy either.

Gourde, Killorn, Cirelli and Sergachev all have gone through the same thing around here, some people are talking like this is exclusive to Hagel. Gourde went through a full season of it and deservedly so, but no one cares about that after his 2 playoff runs. Same thing with Hagel no one will care about draft picks or trade value if he actually performs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde, Killorn, Cirelli and Sergachev all have gone through the same thing around here, some people are talking like this is exclusive to Hagel. Gourde went through a full season of it and deservedly so, but no one cares about that after his 2 playoff runs. Same thing with Hagel no one will care about draft picks or trade value if he actually performs.
We're both old enough to remember people saying Kucherov might not be a finisher at the NHL level in his rookie year.

if I'm not mistaken, Hagel will be an RFA at the end of this contract, so if it doesn't work out, we can still get something for the asset. I mean, we won't recoup our losses (assuming it doesn't work out) but he won't just walk either.

HanTykje

Jan 8, 2022
Norway
www.instagram.com
As the Lightning continue to add expensive contracts to the books, this trend will likely continue. Brandon Hagel could potentially become the latest victim as he will be eligible for an extension after the 2022-23 season, becoming a restricted free agent (RFA) after the 2023-24 season. Regardless of how the Lightning feel about him, the extensions they inked this summer could handcuff them from making an appropriate decision on his future with the organization.​

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Good problem to have if he plays well next year. Unlikely we extend him a year early, and the arbitration threat may mean we have to trade him in two years. His current cap hit is too good to pass up in the meantime, no way we trade him early.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
If the cap keeps going up, i dont see a problem in keeping him for a reasonable price. maybe something between Paul and Killorn's AAV for 3-5 years could make sense depending on how well he does in a hopefully increased role in the top 6. if he can produce 20g and 50p i wouldnt hesitate to give him 4m over 5 years

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He had opportunities to score some goals in the playoffs but couldn't finish. If he starts to convert on more of those we could be ok with him. If not it's kind of more a long the lines of what we've seen from some other guys who just couldn't finish when in those situations and they normally didn't last here. I like him though. Think he's got potential to be really good with some work and like I said if he could finish maybe we got something there.

Reactions: Peacefool

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Just gotta hope management did their due diligence on this guy and they didn’t throw away our limited assets for a dud.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Kid will get an opportunity to mesh with one or two of the star forward. We know it worked with Kane, need it to work here.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009

Doesn't mean he can't improve but that trade is definitely a loss for us right now.
I agree. He hustle's his butt off but he's not the best skater or puck handler or shooter or passer. He has skating issues and not any other puck skills.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I’m betting he will be a 35 to 40 point guy. Not impressed with what he did since the deadline. Would the assets give up be any better maybe maybe not but it was a load of he turns out to be a flash in the pan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad