• Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This should be way more lopsided than it is.

Their points per game are similar this year, and Brady undeniably brings more to the table outside of offense, and has a cheaper contract.

I know Marner has the track record, but that's about it right now. The poll makes sense.

Reactions: Sting

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Their points per game are similar this year, and Brady undeniably brings more to the table outside of offense, and has a cheaper contract.

I know Marner has the track record, but that's about it right now. The poll makes sense.
Marner is considered a great defensive forward, that is a top PKer.

Brady Tkachuk shoves people in scrums and does what else exactly?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Marner is literally out there blocking shots without a stick on a 5 on 3. This one-dimensional offense-only tag needs to stop. It's just showing ignorance now.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

This is beyond comical.
We both know you don't actually believe the nonsense you spew.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022

Like what?

Leadership? leading the most irrelevant/low pressure Canadian market to Bedard for sure.
Defence? He's not close to Marner
Grit? Sure he shoves people during whistles I'll give you that

There's nothing Brady does better than Marner other than being tall. Marner plays on a team with the reigning league MVP and has looked better than him during this season, Brady would be fighting with Nylander for 4th best forward on the Leafs, that's the difference.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
It'd be interesting to ask the coaches around the league who they'd rather have going into the playoffs. Marner is clearly a more individually talented player. I would think teams value one of the last true PWF's in the game when production is relatively similar.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It'd be interesting to ask the coaches around the league who they'd rather have going into the playoffs. Marner is clearly a more individually talented player. I would think teams value one of the last true PWF's in the game when production is relatively similar.
Unless the team values defense. In that case it's clearly Marner without much discussion.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Like what?

Leadership? leading the most irrelevant/low pressure Canadian market to Bedard for sure.
Defence? He's not close to Marner
Grit? Sure he shoves people during whistles I'll give you that

There's nothing Brady does better than Marner other than being tall. Marner plays on a team with the reigning league MVP and has looked better than him during this season, Brady would be fighting with Nylander for 4th best forward on the Leafs, that's the difference.

Marner is definitely better defensively but the bolded is just as much of an overstatement as the post you quoted.

Brady is not just taller, and he doesn’t just mix it up after the whistles. That’s significantly underselling what he brings.

First, he’s one of the most physical players in the league (between the whistles) regularly top 5 in hits, constantly leaning on opponents and making life very difficult for them. He forces defensemen to play the puck far faster than they would want to which causes turnovers. He’s a madman on the forecheck.

He’s a monster along the boards, particularly in the corners and along the end boards. This has been the biggest development in his game this season IMO. Once he has the puck down there it is extremely difficult to dispossess him.

He creates tons of space for his teammates. First by drawing attention and ire of opposing teams, opposing defensemen shade to his side because they know he’s crashing the net and on his way to distract the goaltender. This opens up a lot of space for his linemates. He also opens space for them by defending them and holding teams accountable for playing them physically. He’s strong as an ox and can hang with pretty much anyone in a fight. It’s something the leafs could definitely use.

Here’s one instance where it could have been useful:

Here’s how Brady responds to this kind of situation (this is later in a game where Chiarot took a run at Stutzle):

The offense he creates is also severely underrated. He’s currently #1 in the league in individual expected goals created. Over his career he shoots at an incredible rate. That opens up passing lanes for his very underrated playmaking (don’t get me wrong he’s not on Marner’s level here but his vision and passing are very underrated).

The guy is not a « new age » power forward. He’s a genuine throwback power forward to the 80s or 90s. Those have tremendous value in the NHL and are extremely rare.

I have no problem with someone preferring Marner, but to suggest Brady is some scrub who only mixes it up after the whistle is ridiculous.

Reactions: NyQuil

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
'More than normal'. Brady is on a natural progression, he has improved his totals every season.
I mean, that's not true. He had nearly identical production for his first 3 years in the league, before seeing a bump last year - all of which falls far below his pace so far this year. He'll need to prove his current pace for more than 20-something games, and he'll need to do more than even the elevated pace he's seeing this year to surpass Marner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean, that's not true. He had nearly identical production for his first 3 years in the league, before seeing a bump last year - all of which falls far below his pace so far this year. He'll need to prove his current pace for more than 20-something games, and he'll need to do more than even the elevated pace he's seeing this year to surpass Marner.
His production has improved for 4 straight seasons. His first year he had the same as his second year... Difference was he got to play with Stone the first year and didnt the second year. In an insane turn of events a young player is improving. Not only has his production increased but he is now better at 23 years old than 19 years old as per the eye test of actually watching the games. He makes 3.2 million less a season than Marner while being signed for 4 more years. Brady provides way more outside of scoring. Its not simply production were looking at here. He is also a bigger player who almost always have longer development curves. He likely hasnt even peaked yet he is still getting stronger and faster.

Reactions: Bileur

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
His production has improved for 4 straight seasons.
Again, that's not true. He was between 0.62-0.64 in all 3 of his first 3 years. Last season he elevated to 0.85. And through 25 games this season, he's at 1.16. The sample is small, and he'll need to prove he's at that level for more than 25 games. And if he does prove he's at that level, he'll still be behind Marner offensively. And even if he does at one point match Marner offensively, he'll still be behind overall as a result of the gap in their defensive and PK abilities/impacts.

Nobody has argued against the fact that Tkachuk is improving. Nobody has argued against the fact that he's a good player. It's just a fact that he's not on Marner's level.
Brady provides way more outside of scoring.
He very much doesn't though. You may like the style of game he plays, but in terms of actual hockey impact on the ice outside of scoring, it's Marner by a mile.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I never thought I’d see Leaf fans arguing that physicality and going to the net has no on-ice impact.

It’s like I’m living in bizarro world.

This is a team that was beaten in Game 7 by Big Nick Paul.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Lmao, one of these teams is actually good defensively and it's not the one Tkachuk is on. Marner plays prime PK minutes along with being out there to protect leads late in the game.

I never thought I’d see Leaf fans arguing that physicality and going to the net has no on-ice impact.

It’s like I’m living in bizarro world.
The issue wasn't that, it had more to do with the 'undeniably brings more outside of offense' comment which was completely off-base.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
It's sort of funny, because both teams could use a player like the other. Toronto could use a sparkplug that brings some physicality to the ice, and Ottawa could use a actual star forward that can chips in on the PK.

Reactions: Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Again, that's not true. He was between 0.62-0.64 in all 3 of his first 3 years. Last season he elevated to 0.85. And through 25 games this season, he's at 1.16. The sample is small, and he'll need to prove he's at that level for more than 25 games. And if he does prove he's at that level, he'll still be behind Marner offensively. And even if he does at one point match Marner offensively, he'll still be behind overall as a result of the gap in their defensive and PK abilities/impacts.

Nobody has argued against the fact that Tkachuk is improving. Nobody has argued against the fact that he's a good player. It's just a fact that he's not on Marner's level.

He very much doesn't though. You may like the style of game he plays, but in terms of actual hockey impact on the ice outside of scoring, it's Marner by a mile.
He still improved especially in goals his third season so he did in fact get better.

Ill take the leader who leads the league in hits and can and will fight anyone in the league. You can have Marner who disappears in the playoffs, ill take the guy who goes to the front of the net and squares off at center ice.

Tkachuk is exactly the type of player the leafs need ironically too.

When you take age and contracts into consideration its a no brainer. If they were even then there is a serious conversation to be had.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He still improved especially in goals his third season so he did in fact get better.
In his 3rd season, he went from 21 goals and 0.30 goals per game, to 17 goals, and 0.30 goals per game. So again, no, he didn't.
Ill take the leader who leads the league in hits and can and will fight anyone in the league.
I'll take the leader who's a much better player over the worse player who hits and fights more.
You can have Marner who disappears in the playoffs
Marner doesn't disappear in the playoffs. Tkachuk is the one I don't remember seeing in the playoffs.
Tkachuk is exactly the type of player the leafs need ironically too.
Certainly not at the expense of Marner.
When you take age and contracts into consideration its a no brainer.
They're all of 2 years apart, and even if contracts were being considered, better players being justifiably paid more than worse players doesn't mean you take the worse player.

Reactions: Atomos2

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
In his 3rd season, he went from 21 goals and 0.30 goals per game, to 17 goals, and 0.30 goals per game. So again, no, he didn't.

I'll take the leader who's a much better player over the worse player who hits and fights more.

Marner doesn't disappear in the playoffs. Tkachuk is the one I don't remember seeing in the playoffs.

Certainly not at the expense of Marner.

They're all of 2 years apart, and even if contracts were being considered, better players being justifiably paid more than worse players doesn't mean you take the worse player.
3 draft years apart, 2 1/2 years age.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
His production has improved for 4 straight seasons. His first year he had the same as his second year... Difference was he got to play with Stone the first year and didnt the second year. In an insane turn of events a young player is improving. Not only has his production increased but he is now better at 23 years old than 19 years old as per the eye test of actually watching the games. He makes 3.2 million less a season than Marner while being signed for 4 more years. Brady provides way more outside of scoring. Its not simply production were looking at here. He is also a bigger player who almost always have longer development curves. He likely hasnt even peaked yet he is still getting stronger and faster.
Dude. 27th in the league doesnt point to a lot of execution. The whole defensive system is just bad. This team should be doing way better. There is zero defensive structure asked of the forwards. Scoring and hitting alone doesn't win you games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad