• Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Didn’t the Leafs miss the post-season for 8 straight years prior to losing in the first round for 6 straight years?

Are we really comparing records in futility here?

You can be a grown adult Leaf fan and never have seen a series win.

It’s been -18- years.

Save the lecturing please.
Your deflection is cute. Were we calling players that never made the playoffs before "playoff warriors"? If we were then feel free to point out that embarrassing hypocrisy.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kind of weird to expect a power forward to never take roughing, interference or fighting penalties.

There are actual stats that show Marner has never scored a goal in the deciding game of a playoff series and only has 2 assists in those 6 games.

It’s obviously not just on him, it’s a team game, but are you seriously suggesting he’s blameless?
Therein lies your problem..
If you actually believe Marner was not a decisive factor in winning any playoff game, you have either watched very little or you really know Jack shit about the game.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kind of weird to expect a power forward to never take roughing, interference or fighting penalties.

There are actual stats that show Marner has never scored a goal in the deciding game of a playoff series and only has 2 assists in those 6 games.

It’s obviously not just on him, it’s a team game, but are you seriously suggesting he’s blameless?
He shares the blame among his team as much as Tkachuk shares the blame for his team missing the playoffs. Except among the NHL, usually missing the playoffs is seen as a worse result than losing in the first round of the playoffs...well except when you're the Leafs.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Your deflection is cute. Were we calling players that never made the playoffs before "playoff warriors"? If we were then feel free to point out that embarrassing hypocrisy.

We have a guy with no track record and a guy with a track record for failure.

If Tkachuk were to lose six straight playoff series I’m sure you guys would be telling me that it doesn’t matter because of how good he is in the regular season.

Reactions: bert

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
We have a guy with no track record and a guy with a track record for failure.
Correction: We have a guy with a track record for failure and a guy with a track record for making the playoffs and then failing.

Unless you don't consider missing the playoffs a failure..:dunno:

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He shares the blame as much as Tkachuk shares the blame for his team missing the playoffs. Except among the NHL, usually missing the playoffs is seen as a worse result than losing in the first round of the playoffs...well except when you're the Leafs.

How do you figure?

Brady is pretty consistent. Until this season, he has been a far lower producer than Marner, he’s still done all that could be expected of him in terms of production and contribution in relation to his salary. The Sens inability to get out of their own way is much more of a reflection on the team’s terrible defensive core and lack of depth. What more would you have wanted and in which of the 82 games would you have wanted it for the Sens to make the playoffs?

The leafs similarly have team construction issues but with Marner you can identify specific games where he personally isn’t living up to expectation and isn’t earning his salary.

He has had production decline sharply, if not disappear completely, in the Leafs’ most important game of the season in the last several years.

Therein lies your problem..
If you actually believe Marner was not a decisive factor in winning any playoff game, you have either watched very little or you really know Jack shit about the game.

Go ahead and quote me saying that.

I don’t have to believe anything, I’m literally just stating his stats from deciding games (ie the game where a team gets eliminated). 6 games, 0 goals, 2 assists.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How do you figure?

Brady is pretty consistent. Until this season, he has been a far lower producer than Marner, he’s still done all that could be expected of him in terms of production and contribution in relation to his salary. The Sens inability to get out of their own way is much more of a reflection on the team’s terrible defensive core and lack of depth. What more would you have wanted and in which of the 82 games would you have wanted it for the Sens to make the playoffs?

The leafs similarly have team construction issues but with Marner you can identify specific games where he personally isn’t living up to expectation and isn’t earning his salary.

He has had production decline sharply, if not disappear completely, in the Leafs’ most important game of the season in the last several years.

Go ahead and quote me saying that.

I don’t have to believe anything, I’m literally just stating his stats from deciding games (ie the game where a team gets eliminated). 6 games, 0 goals, 2 assists.
At what point in his career would the Captain of the Ottawa Senators claim responsibility for his team's result? Why give him the C if no matter what he does, he can't generate a positive outcome for his team in an 82 game span where the threshold is being just one of the top 16 teams. Every team has 82 games to make the playoffs.

Last year, the Leafs had horse shit goaltending and bottom 6 depth players making mostly less than 2 mil (because of the Leafs high salary players) and still ended top 5 in the reg season.

As for Marner, Leafs are literally paying 11 mil for their top line forward, 1st powerplay unit player, 1st pk unit player and occasionally top shutdown line player. Marner assumes all of those roles along with consistent 90+ pt scoring pace on a team that has never missed the playoffs in his career. You can blame him for not continuing it on in the playoffs if you want (as we all do) but then to go around and praise Tkachuk when his level of contribution to his team isn't nearly as much and the results of his team isn't nearly as good...it gets very hypocritical. Blame both or blame neither, but you can't blame one and not the other. It's just irrational.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
At what point in his career would the Captain of the Ottawa Senators claim responsibility for his team's result? Why give him the C if no matter what he does, he can't generate a positive outcome for his team in an 82 game span where the threshold is being just one of the top 16 teams. Every team has 82 games to make the playoffs.

Last year, the Leafs had horse shit goaltending and bottom 6 depth players making mostly less than 2 mil (because of the Leafs high salary players) and still ended top 5 in the reg season.

As for Marner, Leafs are literally paying 11 mil for their top line forward, 1st powerplay unit player, 1st pk unit player and occasionally top shutdown line player. Marner assumes all of those roles along with consistent 90+ pt scoring pace on a team that has never missed the playoffs in his career. You can blame him for not continuing it on in the playoffs if you want (as we all do) but then to go around and praise Tkachuk when his level of contribution to his team isn't nearly as much and the results of his team isn't nearly as good...it gets very hypocritical. Blame both or blame neither, but you can't blame one and not the other. It's just irrational.
Lmao dude, ever heard of tearing it down and rebuilding, I’m sure you have, you just came out of a 15 year rebuild. Glad Brady is living rent free with you.

Reactions: Bileur

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I asked the same question when Mats Sundin missed the post-season 3 years in a row as Captain.

Maybe that's why they finally traded him.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also saying "Their 2 (future) best players are 20 y/o..." when the leafs best 2 future players were 18 and 19 when they started making the playoffs with Bozak as the number 1 center.
Who was 18, Matthews first game was at 19.

Who was 19, Mitch was 20 for his first game, same age as Stützle now.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Don't take it from me, take it from this poster:

Atomos2 said:
Didn't like him all that much last game. The kid reverted back to his old childish ways of falling all over the ice. For 11M you expect more of a positive contribution. If he keeps providing these shitty results it'll make it even more clear that he's not a playoff calibre player. Definitelly wasn't one last game that's for sure.

I'd expect that level of contribution from a minimum salary Jimmy Vesey, not an 11M Marner.

Atomos2 said:
I blame him partially, but with choker Marner on his line and Keefe too dumb to split them up, there's lots of blame to go around.

Atomos2 said:
Marner deserves all the criticism he's getting. He signed that 11M contract so he should get criticized when he doesn't live up to it. Leaf fans deserve better than what we saw out of his playoff choke and at the very least we can criticize him about it.

Atomos2 said:
Another casualty of the Marner overpayment. Marner can watch another teammate go out the door thanks to his fat mess of a contract.

Atomos2 said:
Then he should earn it, because playoffs will be what he’s judged on from here on out. And he earned that by his poor performance against the habs.

Now, if I said these things, I'd be a "hater".

You guys have such double standards on the main boards. At least be honest about his disappearing act when the games are at their most important.

I'm judging him on his playoffs from here on out, as you yourself have demanded.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

You guys have such double standards on the main boards. At least be honest about his disappearing act when the games are at their most important.

I'm judging him on his playoffs from here on out, as you yourself have demanded.
Wow, nice zinger post.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
very different skillsets, but Marner is more established in his role, better proven record. I have no doubt Brady will be a force for years to come, but Marner is a wizard with the puck. I take Marner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marner.

And I'm not sure "context" is the best word for ignoring years of drastically different production (and defensive ability, PK ability, etc.) and isolating a ~20 game sample where Marner produced less than normal and Tkachuk produced more than normal to represent them as equivalent.
'More than normal'. Brady is on a natural progression, he has improved his totals every season. Given age and contracts its not even remotely close for me. Brady. He is a way more unique player and is the type of guy you want to go to war with. Might be the toughest player in the league too.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If you are incapable of watching a player and identifying that the skillset will translate to the playoffs maybe you just need a new hobby. Or you've never watched a successful team play in the playoffs so you dont know what it looks like? But if you have been a fan of the leafs long enough you should know what a playoff style player looks like theyve had a few dandies. However given how long its been since then. I guess its possible you havent depending on how new you are to the sport or the team or to this world in general.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Brady's mom saying Mitch
Mitch’s dad saying, show me the money.

Went quiet after your post.

SensFan4lyfe

Nov 2, 2022
im a sens fan and id take Marner over brady any day lol

Marner is a 90-100 point winger who can drive a line

Brady is an over rated 50 point physical winger

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I'm sure you're a massive Sens fan.
Someone got real creative with their burner account. Wild that someone would go through that type of effort to post on the internet. Hilarious post really Brady just had 67 points in 79 games last year and is pacing for 99 points this season.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
its called being a realist

67 points is career best marner blows that away in half a season

plus Marner has a better 2 way game

Marner is and always will be the more valuable player
Oh yeah totally. Your name should be "TheRealistSensFan".

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Now just think how pissed I would've been if the Leafs were as bad as the Sens and Marner was their Captain.

Marner needs to be better in the playoffs. Shocker. I literally said I blame him in the post you quoted. Obviously I'd be pissed when he doesn't live up to his standards. Unlike Sens fans, I demand a lot from a player who can impact the game like Marner does. You think I'd be anymore lenient if he was in Brady's position missing the playoffs every year?

As for judging on playoffs from here on out, there's no point posting in this comparison thread then because you'll only be talking about one player.

If you are incapable of watching a player and identifying that the skillset will translate to the playoffs maybe you just need a new hobby. Or you've never watched a successful team play in the playoffs so you dont know what it looks like? But if you have been a fan of the leafs long enough you should know what a playoff style player looks like theyve had a few dandies. However given how long its been since then. I guess its possible you havent depending on how new you are to the sport or the team or to this world in general.
Because successful teams never have impactful skilled players on them :rolleyes: Kane, Mackinnon, Pastrnak, Kucherov... gimme a break with this "playoff skillset" shit. There's obviously more than one way to win a playoff game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad