• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, sorry I couldn't resist!

Most things aren't black and white in this world, but word definitions are pretty black and white. You seem to be claiming that there's this magic in between word that you refuse to say.

OK THEN. Tkachuk has 56 pts in 53 games, Marner has 65 pts in 55 games. So I will go with YOUR own semantics and classify this as an INSIGNIFICANT difference

So forget what I said before that Tkachuk has closed most of the gap offensively, They are now EQUAL OFFENSIVELY, as per your own (ridiculous) definitions

What do you mean in between? If one player is better at everything, they are better. There is really no gray there.
This season? Well no, metrics are pretty close so they are equal both offensively and defensively as per your (ultra ridiculous) definitions regarding insignificant and significant.

Ok so Marner can PK like Tyler Motte (not as good as Mathieu Joseph though), great but Tkachuk brings a LOT of other stuff

No, it hasn't. The defensive gap is massive, and that hasn't changed. Tkachuk has closed a bit of the offensive gap, but still, in a career year, is pacing a significant amount behind Marner's worst pace in years.

Nope, metrics are close, it is INSIGNIFICANT.

Wait, did you just say "Tkachuk has closed a bit of the offensive gap"? :laugh: Tell me you're a troll without telling me!

And LOL at "career year", Tkachuk turned 23 y/o this season. Again, quite ridiculous

And "Marner's worst pace in years" is not true. Pretty close pace to his last 5 years, except last season which was probably his CAREER season.

PK has a meaningful impact on the outcomes of games. I haven't ignored anything that Tkachuk brings to the table. You're just trying to give him bonus points for certain attributes you like, instead of looking at what he actually does with it that helps the team win.

Dude, you don't hockey much. Everybody knows PK is important but to think it trumps what Tkachuk brings to the table just because Marner can do the same job as Tyler Motte and Mathieu Joseph, WDDD

Give me a break with your "certain attributes". Marner would PISS his pants if Tkachuk were to ever confront him

Nothing there is twisting any words. You said something wasn't insignificant. Thus, it is significant. You also said that if Tkachuk doesn't keep up with Marner's production, then it's still Marner by a significant margin. Now that he hasn't kept up with Marner, you're trying to backstep and blame me for quoting your own words. You also repeatedly dismissed and diminished the defensive gap by defaulting to blaming coaching. You've talked about it like 10 times by now. You literally did it again in this very post I'm replying to. Own your words.

Nah, you just got lost in simple basic reading/understanding. Not worth even trying to explain anything to you

Except it's not paying "33% more for a marginal additional overall impact/contribution". As you've been shown, it's paying 33% more for a significant offensive, defensive, and overall impact upgrade. I don't know why you're surprised that better players get paid more.

33% more $$$ is SIGNIFICANT for players who are EQUAL offensively and defensively (again, based on your own semantics/terms)

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tkachuk has 56 pts in 53 games, Marner has 65 pts in 55 games. So I will go with YOUR own semantics and classify this as an INSIGNIFICANT difference
So forget what I said before that Tkachuk has closed most of the gap offensively, They are now EQUAL OFFENSIVELY, as per your own (ridiculous) definitions
What are you even talking about? Did the 10 days you took to respond make you forget our whole discussion? I'm not sure what you incorrectly think "my semantics" and "my definitions" are, but very clearly, they are not equal offensively, and there is a significant difference between them. Like I've said this whole time.
This season? Well no, metrics are pretty close so they are equal both offensively and defensively as per your (ultra ridiculous) definitions regarding insignificant and significant.
The defensive metrics are not close. They are not equal defensively either. Like I've said this whole time.
Ok so Marner can PK like Tyler Motte (not as good as Mathieu Joseph though), great but Tkachuk brings a LOT of other stuff
Marner plays in a whole additional game state at an elite level. Tkachuk does not bring additional value beyond normal offensive and defensive impact in their common game states.
And LOL at "career year", Tkachuk turned 23 y/o this season. Again, quite ridiculous
There's nothing ridiculous. This is factually Tkachuk's best season of his career.
And "Marner's worst pace in years" is not true.
It's absolutely true. Marner is (and was) at his lowest pace since 2019-2020. Though it's been climbing as the season goes on, just like last year, when he paced 110 points.
Dude, you don't hockey much. Everybody knows PK is important but to think it trumps what Tkachuk brings to the table
I hockey quite a bit. Everybody knows that elite PKing is more impactful than looking at people with a grumpy face. Players don't get bonus points because you like certain attributes they have. What matters is what they do with their attributes, and for Tkachuk, it's undeniably less than Marner.
33% more $$$ is SIGNIFICANT for players who are EQUAL offensively and defensively
33% more is significant, just like the significant gap that exists between them as players, both offensively and defensively. Well worth paying more for a better player.

Sun God Nika

Apr 22, 2013
if you match Brady's pace to Marner's games played.

Marner has 4 more pts than Brady this late in the season.

Honestly i'll sacrifice those 4 pts and take Brady

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Don’t listen to these biased Senators fans.

Tkachuk is a great player but for a player supposed to be great at “playoff hockey” he sure as hell has trouble playing “Playoff Hockey”

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol “biased” Senators fans

You mean lol at all these biased Leafs fans who kept screaming “Marner AINEC” when reasonable people have tried to tell them that it was getting closer and closer.

It’s actually Tkachuk AINEC when you consider age, contracts and intangibles

Hockey knowledge/understanding over freaking bias.

if you match Brady's pace to Marner's games played.

Marner has 4 more pts than Brady this late in the season.

Honestly i'll sacrifice those 4 pts and take Brady

And what about if I told you that you could have Tkachuk at a 33% discount of Marner and for 3 more years???

I’m one of Dorion’s biggest critics but gotta give him credit for Brady’s contract, it’s perfect

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think it's fair to say that Tkachuk this season has closed the gap quite a bit offensively. Marner only has 6 more points in 2 more games.

That being said, it's also worth mentioning that at Marner's 23 year old season (Tkachuk's current age) he was 4th in points and 8th in PPG. To this day it still stands as Marner's best offensive season.

Marner is simply more proven offensively and has actually gained quite a few selke votes, can't say the same for Tkachuk.

I think Marner has peaked higher, and has actually sustained top 10 point production for a few seasons now. (Already 2 seasons where he's been top 10). For that reason he's my pick.

This could very well change in the upcoming years though. The Tkachuk's seem to be late bloomers in terms of offensive breakouts. Just look at Matthew going from being a 70 point player to a 100 point one over the course of a season at the age of 24, and he hasn't looked back since.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Don’t listen to these biased Senators fans.

Tkachuk is a great player but for a player supposed to be great at “playoff hockey” he sure as hell has trouble playing “Playoff Hockey”

Why do I see you in every sens related thread talking negative about the sens?

You know we can all see your post history. It shows every post you make. So we can see sens bashing after sens bashing. You think that gives you credibility or makes you look like a hater who's too focused on the sens?

What do you think?

devbouz12

Jan 15, 2012
Why do I see you in every sens related thread talking negative about the sens?

You know we can all see your post history. It shows every post you make. So we can see sens bashing after sens bashing. You think that gives you credibility or makes you look like a hater who's too focused on the sens?

What do you think?
He's also a self-proclaimed Sens fan, believe it or not.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not even close.

I'll believe it when I see it lol. I'm pretty sure I've seen 3-4 of your posts in the last week and they were bashing the sens or their players or their fans.

Sounds exactly like that Ottawa poster.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it lol. I'm pretty sure I've seen 3-4 of your posts in the last week and they were bashing the sens or their players or their fans.

Sounds exactly like that Ottawa poster.
that’s fair and I don’t disagree that if you only saw those posts you’d think that. Tough love is what I’d call it, I’m frustrated with the team and how our players are being pumped by most of the fan base when the team at large won‘t make the playoffs AGAIN.

I try to put my biases aside and be objective. perhaps overly so, I’ll try to not come off that way in the future.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Tkachuk actually has more even strength points than Marner this year, believe it or not. The offensive gap isn’t closing, it’s completely closed.
That's kind of like saying Carter Verhaeghe has completely closed the offensive gap between him and Draisaitl since he has more ES points this year. It takes more than 55 games to make up for years and years of completely lopsided production unfortunately

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
That's kind of like saying Carter Verhaeghe has completely closed the offensive gap between him and Draisaitl since he has more ES points this year. It takes more than 55 games to make up for years and years of completely lopsided production unfortunately

Marner has proven he is soft and can't show up when it matters. So you need to subtract that from his regular season accomplishments.

It's a big subtraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad