Votes: 342 45.1%
  • Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
We weren't supposed to be in the playoff race until this year so our expectation were always in check, meanwhile the Stanley Cup favorite Leafs keep choking in the first round, and then talk shit to other fanbases about the playoffs lol.

Brassard is on the team, and several players are still in the league. Anyone from the last Leaf team to win a round still playing?
We weren't supposed to be in the playoff race until this year (making them was a bonus but not expected) so our expectation were always in check, meanwhile the Stanley Cup favorite Leafs keep choking in the first round, and then talk shit to other fanbases about the playoffs lol.

Brassard is on the team, and several players are still in the league. Anyone from the last Leaf team to win a round still playing?
So your saying the plan wasn’t to make the playoffs for 5 years, then on the 6th year you were supposed to make it but unfortunately it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen so your team has only had one failed season? Ok I guess if you’re happy with that more power to you. Have a good day man.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
So your saying the plan wasn’t to make the playoffs for 5 years, then on the 6th year you were supposed to make it but unfortunately it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen so your team has only had one failed season? Ok I guess if you’re happy with that more power to you. Have a good day man.
It would appear the concept of rebuild is lost on you. Cheers.

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Still faster than Toronto's 11 year rebuild

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
But there’s no one left on your roster from that team so it’s irrelevant today
It's relevant as fans of the team who experience the highs and lows.

We've had playoff joy recently. You guys haven't. That's kinda the point. Not about which players are or aren't still here.

To your point, which leaf player is still playing from their last playoff series win?

Nice argument you got there to bring down the Leafs...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This thread is going in circles at this point.

seinfeld-jason-alexander.gif

1. Marner is an excellent player. To date, he has been better than Tkachuk.

2. Tkachuk is a great player with a very different and more unique skillset for a top line forward.

In a vacuum, I don't think you can deny that Marner has had the bigger impact on his team's success thus far and would likely be the player most teams would prefer.

But, depending on a team's needs, a squad already flush with a lot of creative finesse types might opt for a slightly less offensive but more physical option in Tkachuk who maintains a number of alternative tangible benefits including hitting and checking, overall toughness and fighting ability and net presence.

Skills that some believe might be of greater value in the playoffs, where the officiating traditionally is less stringent, despite the fact that Tkachuk has yet to play a game in the post-season. Maybe he will be a terrible playoff player, as Leaf fans keep pointing out, but I'd still put my money on his combination of skill, size, toughness and tenacity as being a valuable asset in the post-season.

After all, we in Ottawa had a front row seat in seeing our talented Senators teams fall to their typically more gritty Leaf opponents in the late 90s and early 2000s.

As Captain of the team, he's leading his team in GWG (currently 5th in the NHL and more than either Matthews or Marner) and consistently steps in to protect smaller skilled teammates when the opposition takes liberties.

This is why some people voted for Tkachuk in the poll, while the majority voted for Marner.

I personally don't take offence if someone were to vote for Marner, because he's an All-Star and one of the best wingers in the league. The notion that it is criminally insulting not to vote for Marner is an unnecessary level of absurdity.

A few people have said that they like their guy, but would also appreciate the other guy on their team. I think that's the correct response in all of this.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It's relevant as fans of the team who experience the highs and lows.

We've had playoff joy recently. You guys haven't. That's kinda the point. Not about which players are or aren't still here.

To your point, which leaf player is still playing from their last playoff series win?

Nice argument you got there to bring down the Leafs...
Again, past teams are irrelevant, go talk about past teams on The History Of Hockey forum. Here we are discussing the current teams, particularly Marner and Tkachuk.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It would appear the concept of rebuild is lost on you. Cheers.
The concept of going into a rebuild with a plan of having 5 years of losing is kind of lost in me, yes. I’ve heard of teams planning on tanking for the first 2 or 3 years but not 5.

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The concept of going into a rebuild with a plan of having 5 years of losing is kind of lost in me, yes. I’ve heard of teams planning on tanking for the first 2 or 3 years but not 5.
Well they went scorched earth so I am not sure what you expect. No one ever claimed Dorion is smart. However the reality of it is the 2020 draft was the big one for this organization whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Again, past teams are irrelevant, go talk about past teams on The History Of Hockey forum. Here we are discussing the current teams, particularly Marner and Tkachuk.

But that wasn't what the discussion was specifically about. We started talking about fans.

Unless you're saying fans are only as happy as their last game played.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
This thread is going in circles at this point.

seinfeld-jason-alexander.gif

1. Marner is an excellent player. To date, he has been better than Tkachuk.

2. Tkachuk is a great player with a very different and more unique skillset for a top line forward.

In a vacuum, I don't think you can deny that Marner has had the bigger impact on his team's success thus far and would likely be the player most teams would prefer.

But, depending on a team's needs, a squad already flush with a lot of creative offensive finesse types might opt for a slightly less offensive option in Tkachuk who maintains a number of alternative tangible benefits including hitting and checking, overall toughness and fighting ability and net presence.

Skills that some believe might be of greater value in the playoffs, where the officiating traditionally is less stringent, despite the fact that Tkachuk has yet to play a game in the post-season. Maybe he will be a terrible playoff player, as Leaf fans keep pointing out, but I'd still put my money on his combination of skill, size, toughness and tenacity as being a valuable asset in the post-season.

After all, we in Ottawa had a front row seat in seeing our talented Senators teams fall to their typically more gritty Leaf opponents in the late 90s and early 2000s.

As Captain of the team, he's leading his team in GWG (currently 5th in the NHL and more than either Matthews or Marner) and consistently steps in to protect smaller skilled teammates when the opposition takes liberties.

This is why some people voted for Tkachuk in the poll, while the majority voted for Marner.

I personally don't take offence if someone were to vote for Marner, because he's an All-Star and one of the best wingers in the league. The notion that it is criminally insulting not to vote for Marner is an unnecessary level of absurdity.

A few people have said that they like their guy, but would also appreciate the other guy on their team. I think that's the correct response in all of this.
Correct. There's no doubt Marner is a slightly producer, and is better defensively. But when you add Tkachuk's physicality and intangibles (especially if you factor playoff games), it's pretty close, but probably still a slight edge to Marner.

But, if you also consider age and contract, that's when things probably slide in Tkachuk's favor. It's easy to forget that Tkachuk is 3 years younger and still has room to grow, especially since power forwards tend to develop later than skill forwards. On top of that Tkachuk has a considerably lower AAV ($2.5m+), and is signed for longer.

I can't see how you don't pick Tkachuk if we're factoring age and contract.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't see how you don't pick Tkachuk if we're factoring age and contract.

The actual poll question: "Who do you take on your team today?" leaves open all kinds of reasons for opting for either player.

1. The players you already have on your team, their skill sets and roles that they play.

2. The team's cap situation.

3. The team's current level of competitiveness.

If they are in their competitive window now, and they need offence, maybe Marner is the right choice. If they are a few years away from competing, the contracting situation might lend itself better for Tkachuk.

Reactions: swiftwin

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sure, but if you beat Tampa and end up facing the Bruins? That was the point.

You do realize that your offseasons have only been two weeks shorter than ours right?
Yea but there’s no guarantee the Bruins make it to the 2nd rd either unless of course they have Tkachuk who can drag any team in the playoffs to the cup finals :sarcasm:

Sure but those 2 extra weeks are because they’re in the playoffs. No one is saying Leafs are a good playoff team. Obviously they have a lot of work to do but it takes a certain level of arrogance for a non playoff team to make fun of a playoff team for being in the playoffs.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Because marner is only pacing for 6-7 points more than Brady...so some people might say "I'll take the power forward who gets 6 points less but plays a monster game down low over a perimeter player who gets 6 points more but disappears in the playoffs"

Not too unreasonable?
Marner ppg in the playoffs is higher than Brady’s in the regular season.

Marner for the regular season is career 1.08 ppg
Brady Tkachuk in the regular season is career 0.74 ppg

Brady would have to double his scoring pace to catch up to Marners career numbers

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Brady would have to double his scoring pace to catch up to Marners career numbers

We're talking about this year and going forward.

What does 3 years ago matter now?

What a strange argument.

Reactions: bert

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
We're talking about this year and going forward.

What does 3 years ago matter now?

What a strange argument.
You brought up stats i was just giving them context. Brady is having a career year which is still under Marners average.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

So far this season Marner is at 1.15 PPG, where as Tkachuk is at 1.02 PPG.

Also, at this point in their careers Marner has scored 6 goals while playing on the penalty kill. Tkachuk has a career total of 0 short handed goals since he never plays on the penalty kill.

Finally at this point in his career Marner is currently at +75 and Tkachuk is a career -59.

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
So far this season Marner is at 1.15 PPG, where as Tkachuk is at 1.02 PPG.

Also, at this point in their careers Marner has scored 6 goals while playing on the penalty kill. Tkachuk has a career total of 0 short handed goals since he never plays on the penalty kill.

Finally at this point in his career Marner is currently at +75 and Tkachuk is a career -59.
You kinda had me till the plus-minus joke

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
You embarrassed at that because it shows how many times Tkachuk has been on the ice for a goal more
You embarrassed at that because it shows how many times Tkachuk has been on the ice for a goal against.
More embarrassed for you actually…trying to use a team based stat (hint - one being on a contender their entire career, the other a rebuild their entire career) as an individual one…kinda cringey tbh

Rybo

Dec 27, 2022
New Jersey
I think Marner scores enough to warrant taking him! That contract though, hopefully his next one is longer

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You brought up stats i was just giving them context. Brady is having a career year which is still under Marners average.

Or you could say tkachuks numbers are on the rise, catching up to marner, whereas marners offense has plateau'd.

How much has marner improved his ppg in the last couple years? How much has Brady?

Now I'm providing context to your stats ;)

Reactions: bert

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Or you could say tkachuks numbers are on the rise, catching up to marner, whereas marners offense has plateau'd.

How much has marner improved his ppg in the last couple years? How much has Brady?

Now I'm providing context to your stats ;)
If you read my post you’d know that Brady would have to double his production to catch up to Marner which is impossible with Brady’s skill set.

Are you that hockey illiterate to not understand that's a team stat? Have you not noticed the quality of the teams the two franchises have iced?
Brady is unfortunately going to be a career minus player if it doesn’t matter why do you care so much?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Are you that hockey illiterate to not understand that's a team stat? Have you not noticed the quality of the teams the two franchises have iced?
I thought this season Ottawa was supposed to be a lot better with the additions of Giroux and DeBrincat? During the offseason we heard the media saying what great moves Pierre Dorion made, so maybe you should stop with excuses like that.

Reactions: danny90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad