Votes: 342 45.1%
  • Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I can't believe this thread is still going, popped in and it's the same handful of Sens fans arguing with like 1 Leaf fan and among themselves :laugh:...and the one obsessively responding to everyone is pumping his own tires as a hockey guy the whole time lmao. Some Sens fans are so funny the way they behave on here.

Take a deep breath and maybe have a look at the thread and self reflect...you're easily the most worked up of any poster, Leaf or Sens fans, in the entire thread lmao. It's funny that you accuse Leaf fans of being everything you as well are guilty of being in this thread.

The Sens finally beat the Leafs in the regular season, so obviously Tkachuk trumps Marner.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
The expectations going into the Sens rebuild was to not make the playoffs for 6 or 7 years?
The first year or two were not really part of the rebuild were they?

It was then a full, ground up rebuild. They needed to sell off assets for young players or picks. Once they got the picks and players a couple more years to get to the NHL. Then a couple years to develop, which brings us to now.

They are above .500 at the break and will hopefully play meaningful hockey for a couple more months.

If they don't make the playoffs next year and start being a contender in the next couple years them we can say it's a problem.

So yeah, that's the plan.

Reactions: bert

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
Sens are kinda where they were expected to be. There was lots of hype around them and I think people are remembering the emotion of the hype, not the analysis. Take Ian Mendez for example; I think he was excited for the future but when push came to shove he predicted them as a bubble team.

(As an aside, loser points are dumb and muddle the picture further)

Reactions: bert

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Have you seen marner in the playoffs?

Acting like comparing someone to him is ungodly is hilarious.

You don't need to replace him with tkachuk, you could replace him with 3rd liner pageau and you'd still get better results.

Stop talking like marner is good in the playoffs. It's hilarious.

oh nah, now you went too far.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
The expectations going into the Sens rebuild was to not make the playoffs for 6 or 7 years?
You need to look at a calendar:

The Sens were in the conference finals 5.5 years ago.
The rebuild really kicked off when Karlsson was traded in September 2018, that's 4.5 years ago.
The last piece of the old core traded away was Pageau in February 2020, that's 3 years ago.

This is the first season where the team was expected to push for a playoff spot. But it was clear to everyone that they would be a bubble team at best. The team said that the goal this season was to play "meaningful games" until the end of the season. Right now, they're right on the edge of "meaningful games", which is not bad, considering they lost their #1C to a season ending injury 5 games into the season, and their #2D for huge chunks of the season.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Per usual, Maple Leaf fans will, during the regular season, hype up Marner like he’s the second best player in the world only to want to get rid of him after yet another disappointing playoffs. Please don’t act like you’re happy with Marners playoffs this far…
Lol. Blah blah blah.

You'll have a hard time showing a tendency to claiming he's the second best player in the league.

Doubt many fans want rid of him.

Noting emotional reactions after a disappointing loss and pretending it's the norm is what we call disingenuise. But hey, maybe you'll get likes for bashing Leaf fans.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
High intensity games against rivals. Leafs d couldn't handle a heavy for check that emulates a playoff style atmosphere. The playoffs have largely been the same. Physicality and tight checking ramps up and the leafs don't.... I can't tell if you are unable to identify this or are just in denial.

This entire thread is about how Tkachuk helps in that department. He drags his guys into the fight. As per Brad Marchand it's pretty obvious that's not Marners MO. He'd rather chat about video games and his dog on the ice. I guarantee those aren't the discussions Brady is having.
So what did you think of Toronto's last game vs their division rival and most likely playoff opponent Tampa when Toronto beat them 4-1? Does that game count as a high intensity game against rivals or am I just in denial about that one too?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So what did you think of Toronto's last game vs their division rival and most likely playoff opponent Tampa when Toronto beat them 4-1? Does that game count as a high intensity game against rivals or am I just in denial about that one too?

Wasn’t their last game against a division rival and potential playoff opponent a 5-2 loss to Boston where Marner was -4 and an opponent suggested that Marner specifically and the leafs generally didn’t want to get involved in extracurriculars?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Wasn’t their last game against a division rival and potential playoff opponent a 5-2 loss to Boston where Marner was -4 and an opponent suggested that Marner specifically and the leafs generally didn’t want to get involved in extracurriculars?
Toronto is currently 2nd and Tampa is currently 3rd in the division. That would be the first round matchup. That’s how the playoffs work Ottawa.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Toronto is currently 2nd and Tampa is currently 3rd in the division. That would be the first round matchup. That’s how the playoffs work Ottawa.

In hindsight, I guess it makes sense that a Leafs fan would only consider their likely first round opponent as a “likely playoff opponent”.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Lmfao - he's never getting paired with McDavid on Canada's first line. 37 year old Bergeron would be playing 6 minutes more a game while out of position at right wing before Canada counts on Marner to be their first line top minute RW. Mackinnon and Stamkos are up next depending on where they play Crosby and Marchand.

Canada is the biggest hockey juggernaut on the planet, and the Olympics is not the stage where you get the chance to prove you aren't just a small permiter player who has trouble in tight checking games..... lmao
Yes, he is. Especially since Cooper would be coaching. That guy loves him.

Bergeron is not moving away from Crosby. Neither is Marchand. That line stays intact. And is our second line.

Mackinnon won’t be moved to the wing. He’s a dominant centre in the playoffs. It would be stupid to move him to the wing. Stamkos is probably his winger on line 3.

And that leaves you with line 4. Marner is not playing on the 4th line.

I guarantee you it starts with him on the top line. If he’s not living up to it after a game or 2 then you move him and others around.

“Perimeter player”. Lol. Watch a game. The guy would be running the power play alongside McDavid and MacK. And be right there with Bergeron and Marchand as the top forward penalty killers for Team Canada.

It’s a f***ing crime there’s no best on best. Ridiculous

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I understand your affinity for the first round and why you may not be familiar with the process but when you when you win your first round matchup you then advance and get to play another team, and if your stars don't fold and are successful you end up facing 4 different opponents in total. Its how the playoffs work.

I can't believe some Leaf fans are talking playoff smack! On what leg?! lol

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I understand your affinity for the first round and why you may not be familiar with the process but when you when you win your first round matchup you then advance and get to play another team, and if your stars don't fold and are successful you end up facing 4 different opponents in total. Its how the playoffs work.

Fun fact: Since the Matthews era began in Toronto, the Sens have had more playoff success than Toronto. Despite being a bottom team for majority of it.

Another fun fact: Since the Leafs traded for Captain Dion Phaneuf in 2010, the Sens have had more playoff success with Dion than the Leafs. He was involved in one Sens playoff run.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes, he is. Especially since Cooper would be coaching. That guy loves him.

Bergeron is not moving away from Crosby. Neither is Marchand. That line stays intact. And is our second line.

Mackinnon won’t be moved to the wing. He’s a dominant centre in the playoffs. It would be stupid to move him to the wing. Stamkos is probably his winger on line 3.

And that leaves you with line 4. Marner is not playing on the 4th line.

I guarantee you it starts with him on the top line. If he’s not living up to it after a game or 2 then you move him and others around.

“Perimeter player”. Lol. Watch a game. The guy would be running the power play alongside McDavid and MacK. And be right there with Bergeron and Marchand as the top forward penalty killers for Team Canada.

It’s a f***ing crime there’s no best on best. Ridiculous
Absolutely no guarantee he starts there. Mackinnon, Stamkos or Point could all be there. Point and McDavid actually have played on a line together. Point and Mackinnon attack with speed they are better fits.

You think Marner is running team Canada's pp?!... nope.

Makar Mackinnon Stamkos are all righties I'd be surprised if he is on it. McDavid and Crosby probably fill out the 5. Or Bedard by the time they actually play.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Are people mixing up the Tkachuks? Marner is a few levels above Brady easily not sure why anyone would take him over Marner objectively

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You literally said their last game vs their divisional opponent. That's a 5-2 loss to Boston. Go look.

Your fault you misspoke.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Are people mixing up the Tkachuks? Marner is a few levels above Brady easily not sure why anyone would take him over Marner objectively

Because marner is only pacing for 6-7 points more than Brady...so some people might say "I'll take the power forward who gets 6 points less but plays a monster game down low over a perimeter player who gets 6 points more but disappears in the playoffs"

Not too unreasonable?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

You realize your only guaranteed opponent in the playoffs is your first round opponent right? Any team can beat any team so it’d be stupid to just assume you’d be facing a certainty team in the next round of the playoffs. There’s no guarantee for either team. Except of course when you have Tkachuk on your team since he’ll apparently drag your team to the Cup finals regardless of the team you face.

Doesn’t it suck for you guys to focus all your attention on hoping for another team’s playoff failure while your team waits for the next season to start?

I couldn’t care less about Ottawa, even if they did make the playoffs. Tbh I’d probably even cheer them on if the Leafs weren’t in the playoffs. If the roles were reverse, I’d feel really silly making fun of a team in the playoff picture while my team sits outside of it. It just seems like bitterly lashing out when there’s nothing better to do.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
You realize your only guaranteed opponent in the playoffs is your first round opponent right? Any team can beat any team so it’d be stupid to just assume you’d be facing a certainty team in the next round of the playoffs. There’s no guarantee for either team. Except of course when you have Tkachuk on your team since he’ll apparently drag your team to the Cup finals regardless of the team you face.

Doesn’t it suck for you guys to focus all your attention on hoping for another team’s playoff failure while your team waits for the next season to start?

I couldn’t care less about Ottawa, even if they did make the playoffs. Tbh I’d probably even cheer them on if the Leafs weren’t in the playoffs. If the roles were reverse, I’d feel really silly making fun of a team in the playoff picture while my team sits outside of it. It just seems like bitterly lashing out when there’s nothing better to do.
Sure, but if you beat Tampa and end up facing the Bruins? That was the point.

You do realize that your offseasons have only been two weeks shorter than ours right?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Because they are responding to fans of a team that hasn’t even made the playoffs for going on 6 years now and despite that started talking smack about playoffs

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
And we had more success in that one playoff run 6 years ago than you guys have had in 20 years.
Not only have the Sens not made the playoffs in 6 years but they havnt even been in the playoff race! Chabot and Tkachuk are well into their careers and have never even experienced playoff race hockey down the stretch because every year their team is out of it by December.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Not only have the Sens not made the playoffs in 6 years but they havnt even been in the playoff race! Chabot and Tkachuk are well into their careers and have never even experienced playoff race hockey down the stretch because every year their team is out of it by December.
We weren't supposed to be in the playoff race until this year (making them was a bonus but not expected) so our expectation were always in check, meanwhile the Stanley Cup favorite Leafs keep choking in the first round, and then talk shit to other fanbases about the playoffs lol.

But there’s no one left on your roster from that team so it’s irrelevant today
Brassard is on the team, and several players are still in the league. Anyone from the last Leaf team to win a round still playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad