• Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Its unparallel futility for a team that seemingly has every single advantage. Its truly incredible how bad they have been while being the most wealthy team in the league.

Three things about the Leafs organization and fanbase stick out to me most.

1. They have never won 3 consecutive playoff series in a row in one season. Forget about the cup drought since the league had more than 6 teams. They've never been to a Stanley Cup Final.

2. This streak of not having won a playoff series that is approaching 20 years. Truly incredible.

3. The overall arrogance of the fan base given 1 and 2. Where does this come from? The audacity should be a study in human nature and behavior. Where is this need to put down fans of other teams all the time? Is it built in insecurities?
How about you stop citing 20 years as a relevant point in the context of a Mitch vs Brady discussion and not blame psychological factors for people finding legitimate flaws in Brady relative to Marner when you are selling the view than Brady is actually a better player? I can understand that Ottawa fans might like what he brings from an entertainment perspective but there isn't an objective analysis that can be made that would favor him over Marner as a player who contributes more. Sure he has some limited role playing cache due to higher physicality and lower cap hit cost but that argument could be made against McDavid and without contextualizing would be seen as dumb.
Bringing up historical cup droughts as a valid argument brings questions about your own psychological issues as is evidenced by your own strategy to adjudicate the matter.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How about you stop citing 20 years as a relevant point in the context of a Mitch vs Brady discussion and not blame psychological factors for people finding legitimate flaws in Brady relative to Marner when you are selling the view than Brady is actually a better player? I can understand that Ottawa fans might like what he brings from an entertainment perspective but there isn't an objective analysis that can be made that would favor him over Marner as a player who contributes more. Sure he has some limited role playing cache due to higher physicality and lower cap hit cost but that argument could be made against McDavid and without contextualizing would be seen as dumb.
Bringing up historical cup droughts as a valid argument brings questions about your own psychological issues as is evidenced by your own strategy to adjudicate the matter.
The takes on Brady scream of insecurities. Thats why my post addressed the previous events. There is nothing psychological at all here. Its simply recognizing your fanbase has a complete inability to be objective. Very different players but to discount how unique the player and call it entertainment is proving my point. You need both types of players to win, the Leafs have what Marner brings to the table in spades. They dont have what Brady does.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The takes on Brady scream of insecurities. Thats why my post addressed the previous events. There is nothing psychological at all here. Its simply recognizing your fanbase has a complete inability to be objective. Very different players but to discount how unique the player and call it entertainment is proving my point. You need both types of players to win, the Leafs have what Marner brings to the table in spades. They dont have what Brady does.
Why dont you start a thread name "Tkachuk and Marner's varied skill is symbiotic" instead of pressing your point on

Brady Tkachuk vs Mitch Marner​

Perhaps you are able to to utilize your cup drought argument in a more coherent way.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why dont you start a thread name "Tkachuk and Marner's varied skill is symbiotic" instead of pressing your point on

Brady Tkachuk vs Mitch Marner​

Perhaps you are able to to utilize your cup drought argument in a more coherent way.
Its coherent just have to be able to be objective.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So, it's irrelevant that Marner has already proven to be a better offensive player? If it was the opposite and Tkachuk had better regular season numbers, I'm sure you wouldn't be saying it was irrelevant.
:laugh: Yea all of Marner's regular season history is irrelevant yet all Marner's playoff history is totally relevant (well...only the playoff series he was bad in are relevant).

What a double standard...the funniest part about double standards is you repeatedly trip over your own logic.

Which is it? History doesn't count or history does count. Make a decision.

Look, I have no control over if you guys are capable of following or not.

On Dec 3, 2022, The poster who made this thread said :

"Who do you take on your team today?

For context, this season:
"

That IS the discussion, not the past.

Anyone who is still arguing about the past just can't read. It's been re-mentioned ad nauseam in the thread and yet you guys keep going on with that. So you can throw all the emojis you want and call out my posts but I'm not the one who is completely off topic

If you want to talk about the past, simply make another thread? It would be completely pointless though, which is why I have said on Monday to the poster "Dekes For Days" :

"We don't need a thread for past seasons, we know it was Marner already. Do you really NEED the reaffirmation?"

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Look, I have no control over if you guys are capable of following or not.

On Dec 3, 2022, The poster who made this thread said :

"Who do you take on your team today?

For context, this season:
"

That IS the discussion, not the past.

Anyone who is still arguing about the past just can't read. It's been re-mentioned ad nauseam in the thread and yet you guys keep going on with that. So you can throw all the emojis you want and call out my posts but I'm not the one who is completely off topic

If you want to talk about the past, simply make another thread? It would be completely pointless though, which is why I have said on Monday to the poster "Dekes For Days" :

"We don't need a thread for past seasons, we know it was Marner already. Do you really NEED the reaffirmation?"
If Leafs fans are wrong to bring up Marner's past regular seasons where he's been the better play points wise, you don't think it's stupid that any Senators fans talk about Brady being better in the playoffs, despite playing a grand total of 0 playoff games.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes, that's the point. A small production sample that's not very representative of these players was cherry picked to make them seem closer than they were.

I don't see it as "cherry picking". The OP went with the information he had at the moment he made the thread. He was looking at ONLY this season, for the 25 first games of the season. He didn't even give his opinion in the OP, he simply asked "Who do you take on your team today?"

So it was up to people to decide if the 25 games sample size was giving them an indication that Tkachuk was going to close the gap offensively or not.

He has not closed most of the offensive gap.
If he closes the offensive gap, there is still the defensive gap.
If he closes the offensive and defensive gap, there is still Marner's elite PKing separating them.
If he closes the offensive and defensive gap and suddenly become a top-tier PKer, then maybe we have the makings of an actual comparison.

How has he not closed most of the offensive gap? 47 pts in 46 GP vs 56 pts in 48 GP

9 assists more in 2 games more. It is not EQUAL but yes he has closed MOST OF the gap. Marner scored 30 more pts last season...

Please read carefully, exactitude of words matters

If he closes the offensive and defensive gap and there is still Marner's elite PKing separating them, then what about BT's physical game, intimidation factor and whatever other intangibles he has?

When he was on a 100 point pace when this thread was made.

I hope I won't have to explain maths as well lol

He had 5 pts over PPG... of course when the sample size is smaller, it has a lot more impact on the "pace". 23 games later he has 1 pt over PPG... like I have shown with his month-to-month production, his production has been quite consistent and there was no "unsustainably produced above his normal" outside of the impact the sample size has on pace... Nobody expected him to score 100 pts this season, at least I don't remember reading that on the Sens board.

The difference between these players is a lot more than just... "switch teams". That seems to be your excuse to arbitrarily ignore all of the ways in which Marner is better.

Yeah but I don't think you understand how it is to be in team managed by Pierre Dorion and coached by DJ smith... One sabotages his own rosters to counter-effect the other roster improvements or players progression and the other one is simple incapable of instilling 2-way hockey. It's either they score a lot but also get destroyed defensively or when they try to focus defensively, the offense goes dry.

It's very simple but Tkachuk with Matthews/Leafs would score more points and be better in defensive metrics, particularly if Marner is his RW

Imagine a Tkachuk-Matthews-Marner line lol

Nobody is ignoring anything, facts are :

- Marner in the past has shown he was on another level both offensively and defensively
- Tkachuk has closed MOST OF the offensive gap this season (so far and even more when the comparison was made)
- Tkachuk defensive metrics are still not as good as Marner but watching him play and by simple logic, he would do better on a better team with better coaching/system. That being said, Marner has a 2.85 xGA/60 at ES and Brady has 2.98 xGA/60... This is getting closer as well
- Marner brings PK, Tkachuk brings a lot of other stuff.

You can still say Marner is better but saying Marner AINEC is quite ridiculous, and is a good example of HF hyperbole in a vacuum

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't see it as "cherry picking". The OP went with the information he had at the moment he made the thread. He was looking at ONLY this season, for the 25 first games of the season.
Taking a ~20 game sample of production out of the careers of two players and trying to evaluate them exclusively on that is the definition of cherry picking.
How has he not closed most of the offensive gap? 47 pts in 46 GP vs 56 pts in 48 GP
9 points through just over half a season is not insignificant, and the gap has been increasing throughout the season and will continue to do so.
If he closes the offensive and defensive gap and there is still Marner's elite PKing separating them, then what about BT's physical game, intimidation factor and whatever other intangibles he has?
Marner's elite PKing is an actual thing that brings actual meaningful benefit to the team.
You don't get bonus points for being big. Physical attributes are only as meaningful as the actual impact and benefit you extract from it.
He had 5 pts over PPG... of course when the sample size is smaller, it has a lot more impact on the "pace". 23 games later he has 1 pt over PPG... like I have shown with his month-to-month production, his production has been quite consistent and there was no "unsustainably produced above his normal" outside of the impact the sample size has on pace... Nobody expected him to score 100 pts this season, at least I don't remember reading that on the Sens board.
This thread was made (and the small sample stats were posted) when Tkachuk was pacing above his normal - 100 points, which by your own admission, was a pace he was not expected to maintain - in order to give the impression that he was somehow offensively equal to a player who was expected to hit 100+ points, because that's what he's averaged over the past 5 calendar years.
Yeah but I don't think you understand how it is to be in team managed by Pierre Dorion and coached by DJ smith...
DJ Smith was literally in Toronto before Ottawa lol. I know what it's like to have horrible management and coaching. We had it as recently as our previous management and coach. The difference between Marner and Tkachuk is more than just coaching.
facts are :

- Marner in the past has shown he was on another level both offensively and defensively
- Tkachuk has closed MOST OF the offensive gap this season (so far and even more when the comparison was made)
- Tkachuk defensive metrics are still bad but watching him play and by simple logic, he would do better on a better team with better coaching/system
- Marner brings PK, Tkachuk brings a lot of other stuff.
Facts are:
-Marner, through his entire career, has shown to be on another level in every meaningful way
-Tkachuk is having a better year than he's had in the past on the PP, and is getting a minute more on it each game, but otherwise, nothing about that has changed
-Tkachuk's defense is still bad, and while it may improve under a different coach, we don't know that for sure, and it doesn't change what he is right now
-Marner brings elite PKing. Both have intangibles, but Tkachuk brings nothing else with similar, meaningful impact.

Result: Marner is clearly better.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Facts are:
-Marner, through his entire career, has shown to be on another level in every meaningful way
-Tkachuk is having a better year than he's had in the past on the PP, and is getting a minute more on it each game, but otherwise, nothing about that has changed
-Tkachuk's defense is still bad, and while it may improve under a different coach, we don't know that for sure, and it doesn't change what he is right now
-Marner brings elite PKing. Both have intangibles, but Tkachuk brings nothing else with similar, meaningful impact.

If you also look at their +/- rating, since his rookie year Tkachuk has been a minus player and this season he's currently -13.

Marner has had one season when he finished as a minus which was in the 2017-18 season when he was -1. However, every other season he was either even or in the plus category. Last season he was +23 and currently right now this season he's +6.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think you understand what the word hypocritical means...but anyways.

Tkachuk gets a pass for now because the Sens are in a full ground up rebuild... It doesn't matter about his personal development its about the rest of the team. There has been no expectations for success because of where the TEAM is in the rebuild. If they don't do well by next year - then he starts taking shit.

Marner & Matthews take shit because they have been in a win now scenario for a while and cannot get it done. Their window is waining and if they don't win a series soon it will get torn down & their reputations will further tarnish.

My comment about 2017 had nothing to do with Marner or Tkachuk but was rather a response to an ignorant Leaf fans comment about quality of organisations.

I understand being a Leaf fan requires a bit of self delusion but let's try and keep up.
Dude however you want to spin it honestly doesn’t matter. You’re basically saying the narrative around the team is why Tkachuk is better than Marner which is so ridiculous.

Free pass my ass. There is expectation for the Leafs because they are better. There’s expectation for Marner because he is better. It has nothing to do with them reaching their peak and being in win now mode. They are all still young and developing like past players we’re doing at that stage of development (Stamkos, Ovechkin…)

You want to hop on a narrative? Go join the shitty media that was calling Nylander a bust in his second season.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
DJ Smith was literally in Toronto before Ottawa lol. I know what it's like to have horrible management and coaching. We had it as recently as our previous management and coach. The difference between Marner and Tkachuk is more than just coaching.

Facts are:

What's even funnier was Melnyk laughing at Toronto's defense, then he hires DJ Smith. Go figure.

Brady fans keep referring to this "other stuff" he brings to the table. What "other stuff"? It sure ain't translating in wins.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Taking a ~20 game sample of production out of the careers of two players and trying to evaluate them exclusively on that is the definition of cherry picking.

No "evaluation" was made by the OP. He simply opened a discussion by asking "who do you take?" and stated these players stats at the moment of when the thread was posted.

It is not cherry picking but OK you can have your own semantics if you want. In the real world, the definition of cherry picking is more nuanced. OP only looked at the current season, he didn't "cherry picked" anything

9 points through just over half a season is not insignificant, and the gap has been increasing throughout the season and will continue to do so.

Nobody said it was "insignificant"... Again, you seem to have a very hard time with words definitions...

Marner's elite PKing is an actual thing that brings actual meaningful benefit to the team.
You don't get bonus points for being big. Physical attributes are only as meaningful as the actual impact and benefit you extract from it.

Again, nobody said (well, not me at least) that Marner PK ability was useless... And Brady physical attributes don't bring anything? What are you trying to say here?

This thread was made (and the small sample stats were posted) when Tkachuk was pacing above his normal - 100 points, which by your own admission, was a pace he was not expected to maintain - in order to give the impression that he was somehow offensively equal to a player who was expected to hit 100+ points, because that's what he's averaged over the past 5 calendar years.

No we didn't expect Tkachuk to score 100 pts. He scored 67 pts last season. If he scores 87 pts this season, then yes he is closing the offensive gap. Unless Marner also scores 20 more pts than last season (117)?

because that's what he's averaged over the past 5 calendar years.

Again, irrelevant to the CURRENT discussion

More reading comprehension problems. Where was it said that the difference was JUST coaching? It certainly plays a big factor, notably defensively (and you confirmed that you aware of DJ Smith coaching)

Facts are:

- irrelevant
- big 5 on 5 problem right now, BT has 27 ESP and 20 PPP. Yes a big part of his offensive progress is PP production
- I was actually impressed that his ES xGA/60 was only 0.16 higher than Marner, particularly in the total absence of a NHL system. He is starting to close the gap in that department as well
- clearly spoken by somebody who hasn't played contact hockey

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Leafs fans are wrong to bring up Marner's past regular seasons where he's been the better play points wise, you don't think it's stupid that any Senators fans talk about Brady being better in the playoffs, despite playing a grand total of 0 playoff games.

Who said they are wrong? It's just irrelevant based on the current discussion (see OP)

"Brady being better in the playoffs" is also not factual for the current season. People are just projecting on what they think Tkachuk would do in playoffs (and not just Sens fans who talked about this) but it is also a sub-discussion.

It's "ok" to bring the past or project the future but have to be careful WHEN to use it. When I say "Brady has been closing the gap offensively this season", don't tell me "but Marner in 2018-19"

You realize how silly that sounds?

Since you mentioned Marner playing on the penalty kill which is a very important part of the game and Tkachuk never plays on the penalty kill, what other stuff does he have that Marner doesn't?

Well I don't have the time to explain the whole game of hockey but I'm sure Bileur or NyQuil could help lol

Tkachuk is the kind of player you go to war with. He's already strong as an ox and doesn't know fear. He has a big frame and is not afraid to use it to help out his team. He will play extremely physical when needed, he can hurt people if he wants to. He is a power forward and a pest who plays an intimidation game and throw players off their games. He's also hell to contain in front of the net (where most goals are scored). Don't worry, a lot of players absolutely HATE to play against him. He's a leader too

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dude however you want to spin it honestly doesn’t matter. You’re basically saying the narrative around the team is why Tkachuk is better than Marner which is so ridiculous.

Free pass my ass. There is expectation for the Leafs because they are better. There’s expectation for Marner because he is better. It has nothing to do with them reaching their peak and being in win now mode. They are all still young and developing like past players we’re doing at that stage of development (Stamkos, Ovechkin…)

You want to hop on a narrative? Go join the shitty media that was calling Nylander a bust in his second season.
Look at how the media praised the Senators last summer for those trades and signings Dorion made and saying how they could be playoff contenders this season. I don't see them saying how much of a disappointment they turned out to be.

Reactions: Atomos2 and MCR74

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No "evaluation" was made by the OP.
That's literally the whole point of the thread. To evaluate and compare two players.
OP only looked at the current season, he didn't "cherry picked" anything
That's literally the definition of cherry picked.
Nobody said it was "insignificant"...
You've literally been suggesting it is the entire time. You keep dismissing it and pretending the offensive gap doesn't exist or doesn't matter.
Again, nobody said (well, not me at least) that Marner PK ability was useless... And Brady physical attributes don't bring anything?
Tkachuk's physical attributes contribute to the offensive and defense impact he's able to have, but you don't get bonus points on top of your actual impacts just because you're big. Tkachuk doesn't bring anything extra that compares to Marner's elite PKing.
No we didn't expect Tkachuk to score 100 pts. He scored 67 pts last season.
Exactly. Thus, making the comparison based exclusively on ~20 games where he is producing at a 100 point pace paints a pretty misleading picture of his offensive impacts, and skews a comparison to somebody who is expected to score 100 points because he's repeatedly proven to be that level of player.
If he scores 87 pts this season, then yes he is closing the offensive gap.
He would have slightly narrowed it relative to his past, but there would still be a significant gap. And he hasn't even done that yet.
Unless Marner also scores 20 more pts than last season (117)?
For the record, Marner paced for 110 points last season.
Where was it said that the difference was JUST coaching?
You literally keep dismissing the defensive difference between them, and arbitrarily claiming that coaching is the cause.
- I was actually impressed that his ES xGA/60 was only 0.16 higher than Marner
Not that it's this simplistic, but for the record, Marner has a 5v5 xGA/60 of 2.21, and Tkachuk is at 2.71.
- clearly spoken by somebody who hasn't played contact hockey
Wrong again. I just don't massively overrate things that aren't having actual, meaningful impact.

Tkachuk doesn't get to wipe out the significant offensive gap, the significant defensive gap, the elite PKing, etc., just because he's big. Marner is clearly the better player.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
IMO Brady Tkachuk is one of the more overrated players on HF. Great player and a fantastic captain, but not quite the player I feel some make him out to be.

Don't have to attack me Sens fans, just my own observation from reading numerous threads

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
IMO Brady Tkachuk is one of the more overrated players on HF. Great player and a fantastic captain, but not quite the player I feel some make him out to be.

Don't have to attack me Sens fans, just my own observation from reading numerous threads
I too, base all my hot takes on a player from reading the genius level analysis of HF board posters. f*** watching hockey

Reactions: Sens9292

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
I too, base all my hot takes on a player from reading the genius level analysis of HF board posters. f*** watching hockey
What??? Reading is hard. I'm saying other fans on THIS SITE seem to think he is better than I think he is. Guess how I formulated my own opinion on that matter, (wait for it...) watching f***ing hockey.

Reactions: MCR74

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

That's all he's got.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That's literally the whole point of the thread. To evaluate and compare two players.
OP is just opening a discussion about THIS season's comparison, took the stats at the moment. Nothing more.
That's literally the definition of cherry picked.
No. Go look at "nuanced" now.
You've literally been suggesting it is the entire time. You keep dismissing it and pretending the offensive gap doesn't exist or doesn't matter.
No, you just have a hard time with reading comprehension, nothing more. "Closing the gap offensively" doesn't mean 9 pts is "insignificant"
Tkachuk's physical attributes contribute to the offensive and defense impact he's able to have, but you don't get bonus points on top of your actual impacts just because you're big. Tkachuk doesn't bring anything extra that compares to Marner's elite PKing.
Uh... very odd logic. Ask NHLers and you'll see what they think of physical play and the value of a guy who plays like Tkachuk
Exactly. Thus, making the comparison based exclusively on ~20 games where he is producing at a 100 point pace paints a pretty misleading picture of his offensive impacts, and skews a comparison to somebody who is expected to score 100 points because he's repeatedly proven to be that level of player.
Have you re-opened the first post of this thread at least once? OP never talked about pace, yet you keep repeating. How is it possible to have a sensical conversation in that case?

It's obvious that the discussion only happens IF Tkachuk keeps up with Marner production this season... If it doesn't happen, then it's still Marner by a significant margin so this discussion wouldn't be needed. Is it that hard to understand?
He would have slightly narrowed it relative to his past, but there would still be a significant gap. And he hasn't even done that yet.
For the record, Marner paced for 110 points last season.
Looks like you're starting to get it. Highlighted is exactly what "closing the gap" means. Pace is nice and everything but Marner never scored more than 97 pts. He's on pace for 95 pts right now, in 82 games. Example, if Tkachuk scores 85 pts and Marner 95 pts, then it will be close.
You literally keep dismissing the defensive difference between them, and arbitrarily claiming that coaching is the cause.
Again, your reading problems... I NEVER said what you think I have said. I am saying coaching plays a pretty big part though. Nothing dismissed, nothing arbitrary, it's your reading comprehension

I went back to look where it started and I said "I don't think you understand how it is to be in team managed by Pierre Dorion and coached by DJ smith"... lol it means a LOT more than "it's all about coaching"
Not that it's this simplistic, but for the record, Marner has a 5v5 xGA/60 of 2.21, and Tkachuk is at 2.71.
Ok but I looked at Even Strength (which includes 5v5), what is the point of only look at 5v5 then?
Wrong again. I just don't massively overrate things that aren't having actual, meaningful impact.
You played contact hockey and say "Tkachuk brings nothing else with similar, meaningful impact". That's surprising to say the least. And why is Marner PK being qualified as Elite? I mean 85% percentile on JFresh card is high end but elite would be like Mathieu Joseph, no?
Tkachuk doesn't get to wipe out the significant offensive gap, the significant defensive gap, the elite PKing, etc., just because he's big. Marner is clearly the better player.
I clearly haven't said any of that, not even close. Yes Marner is still the better overall player but the AINEC you've been going on with is what is ridiculous. That opinion would get laughed at by NHL people.

Considering contracts, I think Dubas would pull the trigger on a 1 for 1 trade (Sens fans wouldn't though)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Leafs young defenseman hit in a vulnerable spot

Sens young defenseman hit in a vulnerable spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad