Votes: 342 45.1%
  • Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It’s a comparison. @bert mentionned « as much as Marner has when it counts most».

Tkachuk wasn’t there for training camp, preseason and three regular season games last season. It is true. Once he returned, he was named captain in large part because of how he has shown up for his teammates on ice since day one, paying the price at every occasion, consistently leading the team into battle even when the rest of the team was taking a night off.

Marner, for all his qualities like elite playmaking/skating/production and excellent PK ability hasn’t been known to show up for his teammates in the same manner. He hangs his hat on other skills.

No matter what, is a fact that at this point in his career, in 6 deciding games in the playoffs when it matters most, Marner has 0 goals, 2 assists and is -5.

He got the C because he wouldn’t sign the contract without it lol, it was part of the negotiations.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It’s a comparison. @bert mentionned « as much as Marner has when it counts most».

Tkachuk wasn’t there for training camp, preseason and three regular season games last season. It is true. Once he returned, he was named captain in large part because of how he has shown up for his teammates on ice since day one, paying the price at every occasion, consistently leading the team into battle even when the rest of the team was taking a night off.

Marner, for all his qualities like elite playmaking/skating/production and excellent PK ability hasn’t been known to show up for his teammates in the same manner. He hangs his hat on other skills.

No matter what, is a fact that at this point in his career, in 6 deciding games in the playoffs when it matters most, Marner has 0 goals, 2 assists and is -5.
So Brady is better because you say he tries harder?:laugh::laugh:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So Brady is better because you say he tries harder?:laugh::laugh:

I didn’t say he is better. He brings a different skillet. It’s true that I wouldn’t trade him for Marner 1 for 1 though.

I refuse to believe you don’t know what is meant by « shows up » for teammates.

The Leafs had a team which consistently showed up for teammates under Pat Quinn and Pat Burns. Maybe that’s before your time but like NyQuil said earlier, long time Leafs fans are well acquainted with that attribute in a player.

He got the C because he wouldn’t sign the contract without it lol, it was part of the negotiations.

Yawn. Everyone knew he was next in line for the C. The only hang up was that Melnyk wouldn’t give it to someone who didn’t have a long term deal.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I didn’t say he is better. He brings a different skillet. It’s true that I wouldn’t trade him for Marner 1 for 1 though.

I refuse to believe you don’t know what is meant by « shows up » for teammates.

The Leafs had a team which consistently showed up for teammates under Pat Quinn and Pat Burns. Maybe that’s before your time but like NyQuil said earlier, long time Leafs fans are well acquainted with that attribute in a player.

Yawn. Everyone knew he was next in line for the C. The only hang up was that Melnyk wouldn’t give it to someone who didn’t have a long term deal.

Yeah sitting out games and hurting your team until you get a meaningless letter stitched onto your sweater just screams leadership.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sure does. Had Matthews or whoever done this, there would be a five part thread about it on the main board.
Look at the negative threads Nylander got on the main board after he finally re-signed during the 2018-19 Season. He was called overpaid, and Kyle Dubas was stupid to cave into his demands.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah sitting out games and hurting your team until you get a meaningless letter stitched onto your sweater just screams leadership.
Look at his brother as an example. Matthew Tkachuk was one of the Flames alternate captains and had an A stitched onto his jersey. However, he demanded to be traded 1 year before he would have been a UFA. So, I guess things like that run in their family.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Look at his brother as an example. Matthew Tkachuk was one of the Flames alternate captains and had an A stitched onto his jersey. However, he demanded to be traded 1 year before he would have been a UFA. So, I guess things like that run in their family.

Keith was no peach in his day either.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Brady has never played in the playoffs, but surely he can't be worse there than Marner. I'd take my chances as his game projects much better to real hockey.
Of course he can be worse than Marner. Unless you think Marner is the worst player the playoffs have ever seen. Brady would need to increase his regular season production to match Marner's playoff production, which is far from a given

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You do know that Marner plays on the Leafs #1 penalty kill, where as Brady never plays when the Senators are on the penalty kill.

Sure but let me ask you an hypothetical question :

If offense is equal, if Marner is good defensively but Tkachuk brings all kind of other stuff (like physical play), if both players play on an equally good team/system, then is Marner really "in a different tier" ???

I have no problem if someone takes Marner, but acting like this is AINEC like some do is not a very good take.

Note that this thread was made when the offense was equal or close

I can read perfectly fine. It seems you're having trouble with that. You asked a question and I answered.
This thread is about this season (which is stupid enough on its own, and was merely an attempt to ignore the massive gap between them by posting the thread early season when Tkachuk was at a peak, unsustainable pace and Marner was in his biggest production drought in years), and this season, like all of the other seasons, Marner is clearly better.
Your only argument against this seems to be ignoring that Marner is better at literally everything, and arbitrarily claiming that Tkachuk would be just as good if X, Y, and Z.
That's not how this works.

If you can read and if you understand that this is about this season, then why is "the offense being on different tiers"? There's 9 assists in difference right now and it was much closer when the discussion started...

Why is this thread about this season stupid? We don't need a thread for past seasons, we know it was Marner already. Do you really NEED the reaffirmation?

Again (for like the 10th time lol), I have no problem if someone says it's Marner, but I have a problem with the AINEC. Offense is getting closer, Tkachuk brings several other elements and defense would be closer if he wasn't playing for the mess that DJ Dorion built

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And Brady would never no show for his teammates as much as marner has when it counts most. So here we are. 1967 when there was 6 teams in the league. Never win 3 consecutive playoff series in franchise history. Etc etc etc.
Considering "when it counts most" for the Sens is the regular season to make the playoffs, he pretty much has been a no show.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Marner now and likely going forward.

IMO, it's kind of like asking Patrick Kane or Jamie Benn. Or using the Avs as an example, Landeskog or Rantanen. And IMO, Kane/Rantanen are the better players even if Benn/Landeskog are quality players in their own right who bring something else to the table.

Reactions: Gurglesons

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner now and likely going forward.

IMO, it's kind of like asking Patrick Kane or Jamie Benn. Or using the Avs as an example, Landeskog or Rantanen. And IMO, Kane/Rantanen are the better players even if Benn/Landeskog are quality players in their own right who bring something else to the table.
It's funny how you mention Patrick Kane since he was the player comparable used when Marner was drafted.

Sure but let me ask you an hypothetical question :

If offense is equal, if Marner is good defensively but Tkachuk brings all kind of other stuff (like physical play), if both players play on an equally good team/system, then is Marner really "in a different tier" ???

I have no problem if someone takes Marner, but acting like this is AINEC like some do is not a very good take.

Note that this thread was made when the offense was equal or close
Marner has had a season of 94 points in 82 games in 2018-19.

Last season he had 97 points in 72 games.

Brady's career best so far is 67 points in 79 games during last season.

So Marner has already proven to also be the better offensive player.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If you can read and if you understand that this is about this season, then why is "the offense being on different tiers"?
Pacing for 14 points more is not insignificant, especially when the gap is likely to only get wider as the season progresses.
Why is this thread about this season stupid?
Because it was a transparent attempt to try and equate a lesser player to a better player by first cherry picking a small sample where one was unsustainably producing above their normal and one was unsustainably producing below their normal, and then ignoring the superiority Marner has in other areas.
Again (for like the 10th time lol), I have no problem if someone says it's Marner, but I have a problem with the AINEC. Offense is getting closer, Tkachuk brings several other elements and defense would be closer if he wasn't playing for the mess that DJ Dorion built
But it is AINEC. Offense may be getting closer, but it's still not that close. Defense is not close, and you can't just eliminate that by arbitrarily claiming that Tkachuk would be awesome if X, Y, and Z. And the only "other element" that has a significant, tangible benefit is Marner's elite PKing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
To be better than the Sens?? Are you f***ing kidding me?

How about the Sens get in the playoffs before criticizing the way the Leafs play when they’re in there :dunno:
Can you imagine the outrage if the Leafs had not made the playoffs with Marner and one of our fans said he was better than another player who's had multiple playoff appearances and stats to back up.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Two completely different styles,and you kinda need both in your top 6 to win...Ill take Brady just because his center is really starting to grow into a high skill player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad