• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He doesn't really do that anymore.

I know you won't believe me, but it's true.

It's not even that he stopped "diving", he just has more strength, more balance. Kinda normal as you grow older and develop man's strength. But I mean, how is it possible to know that?

Maybe you were born in like 2003 and had an iPad in front of your face at age three

lol, it's written under the poster's avatar that he joined the site on Nov 11, 2002 and you come up with "born in 2003"? Maybe you should start getting an Ipad in front of your face

No, the funniest post in the thread is obviously the OP that tried and failed to compare Tkachuk to a far superior player.
My post was just facts, and you know it's true, which is why you have no actual response.

No, OP says "Who do you take on your team today?"

Today means this season, no? How one could be a "a far superior player" this season? Same number of goals, Marner has 8 more assists in 1 more game. Marner plays in a much much better system though, something that Ottawa had no idea how to fix for years (same GM, same coach for some reason) and now that the team sale is pending, it will have to wait. Once Ottawa becomes a better team, this comparison will be much closer than you make it out to be, although very different players

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner signed on day 1 of camp and Nylander signed after missing 2 months of the season, .

Not the zinger you thought it was.

That’s the funniest post in this thread.
Marner didn't miss training camp, the preseason, or the start of the regular season, which is all things Brady did.

Yes, Nylander did hold out, however this poll question is about Marner and Tkachuk.

Reactions: MCR74

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Marner didn't miss training camp, the preseason, or the start of the regular season, which is all things Brady did.

Yes, Nylander did hold out, however this poll question is about Marner and Tkachuk.
I never said he did, but thanks for contributing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I never said he did, but thanks for contributing.
You tried to equate Marner signing his contract on the day Leafs training camp started in September 2019, which is not the same as Brady missing training camp, the preseason, and the start of the regular season. You also needed to mention Nylander's hold out as a desperate attempt which didn't make sense because he's not a part of this question.

So, thank you for contributing and whatever digs you wanted to take at the Leafs failed.

Last edited:

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
You tried to equate Marner signing his contract on the day Leafs training camp started in September 2019, which is not the same as Brady missing training camp, the preseason, and the start of the regular season. You also needed to mention Nylander's hold out as a desperate attempt which didn't make sense because he's not apart of this question,

So, thank you for contributing and whatever digs you wanted to take at the Leafs failed.

Brady was just being a Tkachuk, according to his brother.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Very close. But I’d take Marner as he has a track record of high points even though I think abrasive players like Tkachuk should be valued on more than points. The point gap is just too big to ignore here though.
Marner’s playoff performance to date is a concern but Tkachuk doesn’t have a track record in the playoffs yet.
33p in 39g, is a concern?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No, OP says "Who do you take on your team today?"
Yes, OP took a point in time in the early season when Tkachuk was producing at his best career pace by far and Marner was producing at his worst rate in years, and then ignored all the non-production aspects also heavily in Marner's favour (defense, PK, etc.), in order to try and compare Tkachuk to a far superior player. It was silly then, and it's even sillier now.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Yes, OP took a point in time in the early season when Tkachuk was producing at his best career pace by far and Marner was producing at his worst rate in years, and then ignored all the non-production aspects also heavily in Marner's favour (defense, PK, etc.), in order to try and compare Tkachuk to a far superior player. It was silly then, and it's even sillier now.

Good point. Why not compare both at the mid point of the season?

Never mind. The answer is obvious.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
33p in 39g, is a concern?
A 69 point pace is certainly a concern for a player making that kind of money and putting up 94 points in the regular season. The same for Matthews. You expect your star players to step up.
The bigger concern though is Marner’s play and production during series clinching games.
All it takes is one good playoff run to change that narrative but at this point it’s a huge concern.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I remember this being a poll/thread sometime last year and turned into a multi page debate, but it got deleted/locked or something, I can't find it anywhere.

Who do you take on your team today?

For context, this season:

Marner : 25GP, 8G, 21A, 29PTS
Tkachuk : 23GP, 11G, 17A, 28PTS

Great thread. Now start a poll between the two at this point in the season.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Tkachuk has never played in the playoffs and may never get there with Ottawa. Marner dragged 31st ranked team to the playoffs in his rookie year

I voted Marner in the poll, however maybe just a sliiiiight reach there with that second statement. He was a big reason why they made it, but the Leafs had a very balanced Top 6 in his rookie season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Tkachuk would be fantastic to have for the Leafs. Both are very different players, different skillsets and playing styles. You have to be aware that Tkachuk never really played in a NHL level system. Believe me that he would look a lot better if he was on the Leafs.

You certainly can't go wrong picking Marner here but you have to understand if some people would go Tkachuk (when only looking at this season)

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
33 Points in 39 playoff games for Marner is still better than Brady's 0 points in 0 playoff games played.
Marner also contributes in ways more than just points, even though those are good numbers.

I love Brady but’s the intangibles are getting overweighed a bit.

Marner is better defensively and offensively, and that isn’t a slight to Tkachuk.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner also contributes in ways more than just points, even though those are good numbers.

I love Brady but’s the intangibles are getting overweighed a bit.

Marner is better defensively and offensively, and that isn’t a slight to Tkachuk.
Last season Marner had 3 short handed goals and as a team the Leafs lead the league with 13 short handed goals in total.

So far this season he has 2 short handed goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad