• Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Only 100 point winger that is effective on the PK in the league.
Technically Marner has not yet got 100 points. Last season he had 97 points in 72 games played. Chances are if he didn't miss any games, he would have had at least 100+ points. So hopefully that's a number he can get this season.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I voted Marner in the poll, however maybe just a sliiiiight reach there with that second statement. He was a big reason why they made it, but the Leafs had a very balanced Top 6 in his rookie season.
Besides Marner it was also the rookie seasons for Matthews, Nylander, Hyman, Brown, and Zaitsev. So that's 6 rookies playing all the time, which doesn't include Kapanen who was called up late towards the end of that year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Tkachuk is a great player. Would love to have him. He's factually not on Marner's level.

You would tell me "I choose Marner" or "Marner is better", I would be ok with it but "not the same level" is completely different

What makes you say that? Is it the 9 additional assists in 1 more game?

Or the "defensive game"? Marner defensive game "took off" a few years ago but the whole Leafs team did as well, something that has not happened for Ottawa yet (and certainly won't happen under the current management and coaching)

I guarantee you that if you put Tkachuk on the Leafs, his defensive numbers will suddenly look much better

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You would tell me "I choose Marner" or "Marner is better", I would be ok with it but "not the same level" is completely different
I mean, we could start with the offense being on different tiers, and then get into the defense being polar opposites, before topping it off with Marner's elite PK abilities.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You tried to equate Marner signing his contract on the day Leafs training camp started in September 2019, which is not the same as Brady missing training camp, the preseason, and the start of the regular season. You also needed to mention Nylander's hold out as a desperate attempt which didn't make sense because he's not apart of this question,

So, thank you for contributing and whatever digs you wanted to take at the Leafs failed.
I think @Golden_Jet took a pretty bad L on this one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The Marner family just doesn’t have the extensive documented history of being consistent playoff beasts like the Tkachuk family does. Keith and Matt are/were perennial Conn Smythe threats, no reason Brady won’t be the same.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I mean, we could start with the offense being on different tiers, and then get into the defense being polar opposites, before topping it off with Marner's elite PK abilities.

Ok so you're basically saying that you don't have the ability to read?

I'm not even sure if you understood yet that this thread is about this season only?

Do you even know that argumentating is not about repeating the same thing over and over? You have to read the other person's response and take what is said in consideration, then respond accordingly

That was a weird conversation lol

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol. Don’t see it.

@Golden_Jet acknowledged from the start that Marner didn’t miss camp.

@LeafsNation75 raised a weak point about Tkachuk’s contract negotiations because he knew he had no response to what @bert said about Marner not stepping up when it matters most.
Originally @bert said Brady would never be a no show for his teammates. That's when I used the example where he held out missing training camp, the preseason, and the start of the regular season.

And Brady would never no show for his teammates as much as marner has when it counts most. So here we are. 1967 when there was 6 teams in the league. Never win 3 consecutive playoff series in franchise history. Etc etc etc.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Originally @bert said Brady would never be a no show for his teammates. That's when I used the example where he held out missing training camp, the preseason, and the start of the regular season.

Hmmmm… let’s see what he said in the second half of the sentence:

And Brady would never no show for his teammates as much as marner has when it counts most. So here we are. 1967 when there was 6 teams in the league. Never win 3 consecutive playoff series in franchise history. Etc etc etc.

That you would think training camp and the first three games of the season constitute « when it counts most » explains a lot about your take.

Reactions: bert

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hmmmm… let’s see what he said in the second half of the sentence:

That you would think training camp and the first three games of the season constitute « when it counts most » explains a lot about your take.
No matter what it's a fact that last season Brady missed training camp, the preseason, and the start of the regular season because of a contract dispute. That means at some point in his career he wasn't there for his teammates.

Reactions: IPS

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Or the "defensive game"? Marner defensive game "took off" a few years ago but the whole Leafs team did as well, something that has not happened for Ottawa yet (and certainly won't happen under the current management and coaching)

I guarantee you that if you put Tkachuk on the Leafs, his defensive numbers will suddenly look much better
You do know that Marner plays on the Leafs #1 penalty kill, where as Brady never plays when the Senators are on the penalty kill.

Reactions: IPS

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Ok so you're basically saying that you don't have the ability to read?
I'm not even sure if you understood yet that this thread is about this season only?
I can read perfectly fine. It seems you're having trouble with that. You asked a question and I answered.
This thread is about this season (which is stupid enough on its own, and was merely an attempt to ignore the massive gap between them by posting the thread early season when Tkachuk was at a peak, unsustainable pace and Marner was in his biggest production drought in years), and this season, like all of the other seasons, Marner is clearly better.
Your only argument against this seems to be ignoring that Marner is better at literally everything, and arbitrarily claiming that Tkachuk would be just as good if X, Y, and Z.
That's not how this works.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I can read perfectly fine. It seems you're having trouble with that. You asked a question and I answered.
This thread is about this season (which is stupid enough on its own, and was merely an attempt to ignore the massive gap between them by posting the thread early season when Tkachuk was at a peak, unsustainable pace and Marner was in his biggest production drought in years), and this season, like all of the other seasons, Marner is clearly better.
Your only argument against this seems to be ignoring that Marner is better at literally everything, and arbitrarily claiming that Tkachuk would be just as good if X, Y, and Z.
That's not how this works.

Hey, when it comes to Marner, whatever fits the narrative, right?

I want to see a poll between those two at this point of the season.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The Marner family just doesn’t have the extensive documented history of being consistent playoff beasts like the Tkachuk family does. Keith and Matt are/were perennial Conn Smythe threats, no reason Brady won’t be the same.
Too bad Brent and Keith Gretzky weren't really given a chance then.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
When has Tkachuk ever shown up in the games that matter? We keep hearing he's destined to be a playoff warrior, but he's yet to do it.
Brady has never played in the playoffs, but surely he can't be worse there than Marner. I'd take my chances as his game projects much better to real hockey.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Per usual, Maple Leaf fans will, during the regular season, hype up Marner like he’s the second best player in the world only to want to get rid of him after yet another disappointing playoffs. Please don’t act like you’re happy with Marners playoffs this far…
And per usual Sens fans will hype up Tkachuk like a playoff god during the regular season and then move on to watch something else when the playoffs start.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No matter what it's a fact that last season Brady missed training camp, the preseason, and the start of the regular season because of a contract dispute. That means at some point in his career he wasn't there for his teammates.

It’s a comparison. @bert mentionned « as much as Marner has when it counts most».

Tkachuk wasn’t there for training camp, preseason and three regular season games last season. It is true. Once he returned, he was named captain in large part because of how he has shown up for his teammates on ice since day one, paying the price at every occasion, consistently leading the team into battle even when the rest of the team was taking a night off.

Marner, for all his qualities like elite playmaking/skating/production and excellent PK ability hasn’t been known to show up for his teammates in the same manner. He hangs his hat on other skills.

No matter what, is a fact that at this point in his career, in 6 deciding games in the playoffs when it matters most, Marner has 0 goals, 2 assists and is -5.

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad