Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Now is the best time to trade Tkachuk, when he is overvalued to maximize the return. There will be a Lindros like package coming back. It will make Ottawa instantly a playoff team even with a bad coach. We will get a Tier 1 goalie and a Tier 1 forward. A blue chip prospect+draft picks. It has to be just a starting point.
:thumbd:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We are not getting a Lindros like package. That just doesn't happen anymore.

There would be some sense to the move if we were shredding another team for their assets like that Shesterkin proposal, but as revered as #7 may be, stuff like that isn't going to be on the table. It'd likely be more like what Calgary received.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Did the all-star Talbot make us better? He made LA better. Does Perrault or Lafreniere make us tougher? Will they drop their gloves & defend their teammates? Are they going to defend all the players who want to go after Stutzle? Should we trade for EK so he can drop the gloves & defend teammates & go after guys like Brian Boyle? Once you trade a unicorn like Brady you spend yrs trying to get one back most likely never will. How long did this franchise cry about getting Gary Roberts because the Leafs were constantly pushing us around & knocking us out of the playoffs. You constantly want to add small players who will get killed in the playoffs to this lineup & you constantly want to get rid of Brady, why?

It's not dropping the gloves and defending teammates from Brian Boyle that will get us into the playoffs.

Some of you guys act like we've had unparalleled success with Brady leading the team, years and years of playoff success, the reality is much different.

And I don't want to get rid of Brady but It is doubtful this team has any significant success before Brady starts reaching his ufa years.

that trade clearly makes us better and Brady is not some generational talent or even a franchise level talent that we shouldn't trade him in a trade that would clearly make us better.

Comparing Talbot and Shest is crazy, shest is this generations Price or Lundqvist and maybe even better.

And having both Lafreniere and Perrault might make us more difficult to play as depth is one of the most important things that makes a contender. Not to mention Laf alone has a chance at becoming Brady level.

Like if any Senators fan rejects that trade I really question if they are a fan of the team or at the very least if they even care about the team having success.

Reactions: Crosside

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's not dropping the gloves and defending teammates from Brian Boyle that will get us into the playoffs.

Some of you guys act like we've had unparalleled success with Brady leading the team, years and years of playoff success, the reality is much different.

And I don't want to get rid of Brady but It is doubtful this team has any significant success before Brady starts reaching his ufa years.

that trade clearly makes us better and Brady is not some generational talent or even a franchise level talent that we shouldn't trade him in a trade that would clearly make us better.

Comparing Talbot and Shest is crazy, shest is this generations Price or Lundqvist and maybe even better.

And having both Lafreniere and Perrault might make us more difficult to play as depth is one of the most important things that makes a contender. Not to mention Laf alone has a chance at becoming Brady level.

Like if any Senators fan rejects that trade I really question if they are a fan of the team or at the very least if they even care about the team having success.
Then let's get rid of Stutzle unstead., switch Brady for Stutzle, just say it you hate Brady! Brady is a generational talent, we just view generational talents differently, You call EK a generational talent & I don't agree at all with that, he;s a one dimensional offensive talent. Soft players don't make us difficult to play against they just make us softer which is what you want. Brady is a player you rebuild around & they are extremely rare, those others you talk about are a dime a dozen & always available through UFA. And who is going to drop the gloves? As soon as a soft player on the Sens gets attacked people start crying for Brady to fight them inlcuding fighting his own brother. Who is going to stick up for these soft players you are always whining for?

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We are not getting a Lindros like package. That just doesn't happen anymore.

There would be some sense to the move if we were shredding another team for their assets like that Shesterkin proposal, but as revered as #7 may be, stuff like that isn't going to be on the table. It'd likely be more like what Calgary received.
Exactly, why would the NYR trade the goalie that got them to the Conference final? And if Brady can get that big a package doesnt that tell us that he is a very valuable player & should we not be building around him? People bitched like hell because we traded our best player Stone & now some want to trade our best player again? Makes no sense.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Exactly, why would the NYR trade the goalie that got them to the Conference final? And if Brady can get that big a package doesnt that tell us that he is a very valuable player & should we not be building around him? People bitched like hell because we traded our best player Stone & now some want to trade our best player again? Makes no sense.
We don t want to trade Brady because , he s not good. Tkachuk family have a history to want out of canadian market. Why not regroup a good package now

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya there's no way a package like that is coming back imo and would be a weird move for NYR, but I can see why they'd want Brady lol. Only reason I really took the bait is because the Sens have a serious goaltending problem with no solution in sight, and I particularly do like that package. I wouldn't compare it to the Stone return, since that looked so underwhelming on day 1, whereas this one would really have to flop to be bad imo. Either way, yes, build around Brady. If the time comes that the team still stinks and he's looking to move on, address it then. They will just have to take their lumps on the NMC if it comes to him asking to be moved.

I'm concerned about how fast SS can get this thing on the rails, so I do see it as a realistic concern, but I'm also against getting ahead of it with a move before they give it a shot. He is in a tough spot though for sure. The goaltending in particular is going to be incredibly difficult to try to fix.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We don t want to trade Brady because , he s not good. Tkachuk family have a history to want out of canadian market. Why not regroup a good package now
Why not trade Stutzle now instead of Tkachuk when Tkachuk is the better player & much more valuable player? Stutzle has a reputation of being a crybaby, whiner & diver & how many games did he cost us giving the puck away? Do you know the Tkachuk family personally or are you just making shit up about them? Who is going to want to come to Ottawa if we keep trading our best players? How do you build a winner if you keep trading your best players? It's a dumb idea.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
People do not realize that Tkachuk could ask for a trade at any moment. Hiring Green was a bad PR move. It will not attract any good free agents. There will be no playoffs again and probably Green will stop cherry picking for Tkachuk. Test the waters, Trade him now. Winning the cup requires at least 4 tier 1 players. Always had been like this. Always. Two forwards, goalie and a D. You can always find auxiliary grit in trades and on a FA market. But we need to find a team with the Tier 1 goalie and Tier 1 forward, who is willing to trade. We can then draft Parekh and complete the 4 coveted Tier 1 players. I have no problem trading then Chabot and Chychrun for solid defense and a forward. Because those two do not make Sens any better.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Why not trade Stutzle now instead of Tkachuk when Tkachuk is the better player & much more valuable player? Stutzle has a reputation of being a crybaby, whiner & diver & how many games did he cost us giving the puck away? Do you know the Tkachuk family personally or are you just making shit up about them? Who is going to want to come to Ottawa if we keep trading our best players? How do you build a winner if you keep trading your best players? It's a dumb idea.
What's your opinion of the likelihood he could want out if the team is not any better in the standings? 1 year, 2 years, more?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
People do not realize that Tkachuk could ask for a trade at any moment. Hiring Green was a bad PR move. It will not attract any good free agents. There will be no playoffs again and probably Green will stop cherry picking for Tkachuk. Test the waters, Trade him now. Winning the cup requires at least 4 tier 1 players. Always had been like this. Always. Two forwards, goalie and a D. You can always find auxiliary grit in trades and on a FA market. But we need to find a team with the Tier 1 goalie and Tier 1 forward, who is willing to trade. We can then draft Parekh and complete the 4 coveted Tier 1 players. I have no problem trading then Chabot and Chychrun for solid defense and a forward. Because those two do not make Sens any better.
How the hell do you know Brady could ask for a trade at any moment? Are you just making up shit because you want more soft skilled players on the team? Why was Green a bad PR move when he hasn't coached a single game? How do you know this, can you see the future? What the hell does that even mean Green cherry picking Tkachuk? Tkachuk has led this team in scoring 4 yrs out of 5 yrs, he's the best player on the team, trade Stutzle not Tkachuk. Parekh is another small soft weak defenceman who won't be able to defend himself, who will get killed in the playoffs.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I'm warming up to the idea of trading Brady. Not because I don't like the player, I'm as big as a fan as you can get, and I think that type of player is exactly what you need in the playoffs. Brady is something we've craved for literally decades to get that power forward.

But, I also don't want this franchise to be forced to placate to Brady's wishes to be competitive now if the franchise isn't ready to make that switch. I believe this is what happened two offseasons ago when Tkachuk and Chabot made it clear to Dorion in the exit interviews they wanted to win. The timing wasn't right and the core was not good enough yet. For all these awful years we had a good draft in 2018 and 2020 and that's all we have to show for it. This rebuild was expeditated way too fast and I'm not a believer in the core of this team TBH. There's good pieces but I still think we're 2-3 top picks away from switching to win now. If they decide to switch now, I worry we'll be stuck in mediocrity unless Staios absolutely hits a few home runs on the trade and FA front.

I don't envy the mess that was left with Steve. Absolutely brutal job by Dorion.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Stutzle is a true Tier 1 player and a game breaker to win the Stanley Cup. Tkachuk is close to Tier 1. But too many lazy plays and cherry pickings. Who could ask for a trade any moment. Why to risk it? He does not even want to be in Ottawa any more, from what I hear.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm warming up to the idea of trading Brady. Not because I don't like the player, I'm as big as a fan as you can get, and I think that type of player is exactly what you need in the playoffs. Brady is something we've craved for literally decades to get that power forward.

But, I also don't want this franchise to be forced to placate to Brady's wishes to be competitive now if the franchise isn't ready to make that switch. I believe this is what happened two offseasons ago when Tkachuk and Chabot made it clear to Dorion in the exit interviews they wanted to win. The timing wasn't right and the core was not good enough yet. For all these awful years we had a good draft in 2018 and 2020 and that's all we have to show for it. This rebuild was expeditated way too fast and I'm not a believer in the core of this team TBH. There's good pieces but I still think we're 2-3 top picks away from switching to win now. If they decide to switch now, I worry we'll be stuck in mediocrity unless Staios absolutely hits a few home runs on the trade and FA front.

I don't envy the mess that was left with Steve. Absolutely brutal job by Dorion.
If Brady ends up gone, I hope everyone remembers the position PD put SS in rather than blaming him and the new regime. This mess was inherited and there's only so much that can be done.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What's your opinion of the likelihood he could want out if the team is not any better in the standings? 1 year, 2 years, more?
I have no idea what is in his mind & once any player gets to a certain age they have the choice of where they want to go when they reach free agency. He's locked in for another four seasons & I expect he will honour his contract, however, it is also up to management to make the team better & if they don't we can't blame any player from wanting out if they want to win. How many players are the Sens away from being a playoff team? Two a RD & a goalie? Do they need more than that? Have injuries prevented this team from being a playoff team? Have some players hurt the team from advancing like DBC wanting out? Have some trades hurt the team? If Brady leaves does Stutzle stay? Or Norris, Batherson, Sanderson ... where does it stop?

There is something to be said about acquiring American players if they would prefer to play in the US & who knows who those are, we assume they all like where they are playing ,but like DBC some when they reach the point where they can decide where they play wish to go home to play, Giroux did.

It's a tough call on which players to acquire through the draft, free agency or trade whether they will stay or want out eventually. We see teams make those mistakes all the time (Philly drafting Cutter recently). Do you draft the BPA if he doesn't want to play in Canada? It seems to be a slippery slope that can be avoided by doing all you can to make this team more successful to entice players to stay otherwise we are the Expos feeding other teams our best players every yr.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stutzle is a true Tier 1 player and a game breaker to win the Stanley Cup. Tkachuk is close to Tier 1. But too many lazy plays and cherry pickings. Who could ask for a trade any moment. Why to risk it? He does not even want to be in Ottawa any more, from what I hear.
Tkachuk is a true Tier 1 player that is a game breaker to win the Stanley Cup & is built for the playoffs, Stutzle makes too many stupid plays & loses the puck too much that ends up in goals against. It's too easy to play this game. Any player can ask for a trade at any moment for whatever reason & do. You hear from who? The lying Montreal media who make shit up for clicks & views?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I have no idea what is in his mind & once any player gets to a certain age they have the choice of where they want to go when they reach free agency. He's locked in for another four seasons & I expect he will honour his contract, however, it is also up to management to make the team better & if they don't we can't blame any player from wanting out if they want to win. How many players are the Sens away from being a playoff team? Two a RD & a goalie? Do they need more than that? Have injuries prevented this team from being a playoff team? Have some players hurt the team from advancing like DBC wanting out? Have some trades hurt the team? If Brady leaves does Stutzle stay? Or Norris, Batherson, Sanderson ... where does it stop?

There is something to be said about acquiring American players if they would prefer to play in the US & who knows who those are, we assume they all like where they are playing ,but like DBC some when they reach the point where they can decide where they play wish to go home to play, Giroux did.

It's a tough call on which players to acquire through the draft, free agency or trade whether they will stay or want out eventually. We see teams make those mistakes all the time (Philly drafting Cutter recently). Do you draft the BPA if he doesn't want to play in Canada? It seems to be a slippery slope that can be avoided by doing all you can to make this team more successful to entice players to stay otherwise we are the Expos feeding other teams our best players every yr.
That's reasonable. It is definitely up to management to improve the team and imo will dictate the situation the most out of anything. I'd have no hard feelings at that point if in a year or two he'd like to move on because they weren't able to improve. Would feel like he'd really given his best at that point and was just making wise career choices, while current management was likely hamstrung by the years of mismanagement prior to. I don't worry about the others yet simply because they have been there for less losing seasons, whereas Tkachuk has done 6, but the same logic would apply to them eventually. Chabot I would have similar concerns, but good luck to him on that with his salary lol.

Who knows how far away they are. Things can change quickly sometimes with solid management. I see G then D as the biggest issues needing attention, along with the vet presence in general they talk about.

The American player thing is certainly a factor, but if the team had started trending up on the expected timeline, with some of PD's moves paying off, I don't think the concern is that big. To me, it's purely the losing angle. 6 seasons is a lot. 7, 8 or 9 feels unreasonable. That's half a career. The Tkachuk stuff is an angle that brings some concern, but that's unknown and unpredictable, so sort of moot imo.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's reasonable. It is definitely up to management to improve the team and imo will dictate the situation the most out of anything. I'd have no hard feelings at that point if in a year or two he'd like to move on because they weren't able to improve. Would feel like he'd really given his best at that point and was just making wise career choices, while current management was likely hamstrung by the years of mismanagement prior to. I don't worry about the others yet simply because they have been there for less losing seasons, whereas Tkachuk has done 6, but the same logic would apply to them eventually. Chabot I would have similar concerns, but good luck to him on that with his salary lol.

Who knows how far away they are. Things can change quickly sometimes with solid management. I see G then D as the biggest issues needing attention, along with the vet presence in general they talk about.

The American player thing is certainly a factor, but if the team had started trending up on the expected timeline, with some of PD's moves paying off, I don't think the concern is that big. To me, it's purely the losing angle. 6 seasons is a lot. 7, 8 or 9 feels unreasonable. That's half a career. The Tkachuk stuff is an angle that brings some concern, but that's unknown and unpredictable, so sort of moot imo.
The other point is that fans are losing patience with this team that have traded away a few players that have upset the fan base. Are they going to continue to do that & turn the fan base further away? They are suppose to be tweaking the roster now to get them to the next level (the playoffs), how do they do that if they trade their best player? That would seem like giving up & starting all over again. If the player wants to leave to play at home like DBC did then he will have to wait until he is in a contractual position to do that & nobody will be able to prevent it. And if he is still under contract than you might be able to trade the asset for more assets. Trading him now IMO would set the team much further back & allienate many more fans. Are you for trading Tkachuk or would you prefer to build around him?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The other point is that fans are losing patience with this team that have traded away a few players that have upset the fan base. Are they going to continue to do that & turn the fan base further away? They are suppose to be tweaking the roster now to get them to the next level (the playoffs), how do they do that if they trade their best player? That would seem like giving up & starting all over again. If the player wants to leave to play at home like DBC did then he will have to wait until he is in a contractual position to do that & nobody will be able to prevent it. And if he is still under contract than you might be able to trade the asset for more assets. Trading him now IMO would set the team much further back & allienate many more fans. Are you for trading Tkachuk or would you prefer to build around him?
I agree. I'm not on board with moving him, no. If someone wants to be stupid and offer a Lindros like return, I'd listen, but that's the extent of it. It would be PR suicide imo to move him now. Imo, you wait, try to improve the team, and address it later.

The part I do believe is that progression is required and that he won't be finishing his contract in Ottawa if the team continues to suck. He's approaching career half over territory, potentially because of the rough style he plays, and I think the NMC would give him the leverage he needs to be comfortable asking out, while dictating where that ends up being. If that means the team takes it on the chin with the return, so be it.

I will admit to not having much of an emotional attachment to the guy like others we've had in the past, but that's probably normal when the team itself isn't having any success, and for me would apply to everyone on the current roster.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Then let's get rid of Stutzle unstead., switch Brady for Stutzle, just say it you hate Brady! Brady is a generational talent, we just view generational talents differently, You call EK a generational talent & I don't agree at all with that, he;s a one dimensional offensive talent. Soft players don't make us difficult to play against they just make us softer which is what you want. Brady is a player you rebuild around & they are extremely rare, those others you talk about are a dime a dozen & always available through UFA. And who is going to drop the gloves? As soon as a soft player on the Sens gets attacked people start crying for Brady to fight them inlcuding fighting his own brother. Who is going to stick up for these soft players you are always whining for?
Ya a lot of the younger crowd today seem to like soft players, maybe something to do with video games, not sure.
Just seems like each new generation just gets softer,

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Lmao, don’t be so gullible.
He’s got 4 years on his contract, sit back and enjoy it, he’s not getting moved.
Even if Brady said I’d like to be moved, team could say, we got you for 4 more years.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
no one is moving him or any significant pieces. Contrary to what is being bandied about.

Staios has to concentrate on a goalie move. An RHD move and a 2nd line winger move. The goalie move is to replace the #2, not Korpo. They have to give Korpo 2 years to see if he bounces back. Getting a #2 will allow them the luxury of kid glove handling of Korpo.

An RHD is obvious and is probably linked to Chyc. departure. I can see Chyc being traded for some #2/3 RHD, most probably a #3 RHD. You use him for 1-2 years, until you can make a more solid move for a quality #1 RHD.

2nd line winger is an FA deal that does not require moving pieces off your roster.

Not that I put too much stock in Gord Wilson, but he was on TSN1200 about an hour ago. He said, he does not envision major moves.

I am paraphrasing Gord.. Brady needs to improve his all around game and become a little more like Barkov. Pretty much what all of us are thinking.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ever feel like you’re being trolled by fans of rival teams??

Ignore it don’t be a sucker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad