Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If trading Stutzle makes us a better team then trade him too.

And Brady being a generational talent and not Karlsson?

Dude just look at what each was able to accomplish with what they had. Both individually and as a team.

if we had a 21 to 25 year old Karlsson leading this core we make the playoffs certainly more than zero times and most likely every time, and do damage in the playoffs.

Karlsson and Brady are incomparable as hockey players and as leaders.

One was the captain of one of the scrappiest and pesky Senators teams that consistently over performed their talent levels and defied expert projections while the other defied experts by consistently choking and underperforming their talent levels.
Who was the coach in that magical run to the semi-finals? Guy Boucher?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Karlsson was the player-coach. He arranged the practice schedule.
Our current team could use a Boucher-style of coaching to get them to pay attention to their defensive responsibilities. Keep the GA/G down and we would have a higher probability of getting points and making the playoffs.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Our current team could use a Boucher-style of coaching to get them to pay attention to their defensive responsibilities. Keep the GA/G down and we would have a higher probability of getting points and making the playoffs.
This is why the whole focus is on acquiring a guy like Tanev, to be much harder to play against & reduce their goals against. IMO we have plenty of offence, but we are too easy to play against, no snarl & we are a shit show defensively in our own end. If Green can improve those areas I think they are a playoff team ... IF they can stay healthy & get NHL goaltending. Goaltending, a soft defence & injuries are the real reasons this team isn't a playoff team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Steve Levy was on the Dan Patrick show. Russ Tucker was filling in.

They spoke about Canadian teams and Levy was giving his opinion on why they fail.

We need to worry!

He mentioned Mathew T. and getting out of Calgary. And then His brother Brady and we will see what happens in Ottawa!

All those rumours about Brady being dealt, may in fact have some merit.

Hold your hats.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa

They spoke about Canadian teams and Levy was giving his opinion on why they fail.

We need to worry!

He mentioned Mathew T. and getting out of Calgary. And then His brother Brady and we will see what happens in Ottawa!

Hold your hats.
Whatever, as much as I want Brady to stay, if he wants to be dealt, good riddance! I'm a Sens fan not a Tkachuk fan,

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
players not wanting to stay in ottawa is bullshit.

hossa wanted to stay, chara wanted to stay, alfredsson wanted to stay, karlsson wanted to stay, stone wanted to stay. stutzle and sanderson both signed 8 year contracts.

all it comes down to is winning. build a core of guys who are winners together and you will be able to re-sign and attract players. can you lose some sure? but using it as an excuse that you can't win is bs.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

We need to worry!

Hold your hats.
Sorry sir but gtfo
:)

Reactions: Bileur

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Whatever, as much as I want Brady to stay, if he wants to be dealt, good riddance! I'm a Sens fan not a Tkachuk fan,
I am with you. My one concern is: I don't want him to tear his way out of here.

I don't want his brother's scenario. I don't want our version of Hubbie!!

If indeed he wants out, I want it to be smooth. With a return we can feel good about. And not some 28 year old with 7 years left on an 8-9 AAV contract that kills us.

No more Bobby Ryan. No more Zib/Brassard. And so on. And we do not need to see some Timo Meier coming this way.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

To be fair, the MTkachuk return wasn't bad, it was the nonsensical extensions to Huberdeau and Weegar.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
To be fair, the MTkachuk return wasn't bad, it was the nonsensical extensions to Huberdeau and Weegar.
still part of the package.

We traded for Bobby Ryan and gave up a bag of pucks. Then extended him!!!

These scenarios always scream Timo Meier at me. Unless it is Jack Hughes or his brother back (I am just using NJ as an example and not connecting a trade to there), we need to worry.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Huberdeau was still putting up 30 g and 115 pts in Cgy like he did in Florida before being traded rather than the 50-55 pts since, would we still be calling it a bad contract? It would probably still age poorly eventually but that has to be the fastest non injury related regression ever.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If Huberdeau was still putting up 30 g and 115 pts in Cgy like he did in Florida before being traded rather than the 50-55 pts since, would we still be calling it a bad contract? It would probably still age poorly eventually but that has to be the fastest non injury related regression ever.
Wasn't he top 5 in points for the 5 years prior or something like that?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
even if he regressed to just a PPG player but not past the 90s, giving 8 year term and $10 million to a guy that hit 100 points once while playing next to a defensive stalwart in Barkov isn't the best long term planning. Even Weegar's deal felt premature. Sure Weegar had a great season, but the extensions just screamed desperate to compete instead of doing a quick retool.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
even if he regressed to just a PPG player but not past the 90s, giving 8 year term and $10 million to a guy that hit 100 points once while playing next to a defensive stalwart in Barkov isn't the best long term planning. Even Weegar's deal felt premature. Sure Weegar had a great season, but the extensions just screamed desperate to compete instead of doing a quick retool.
I thought that was their re-tool. They signed those two and brought in Kadri, it just didn't work out. Now they're deeper in to a need to re-build, but by all accounts will try to do it on the fly and still compete. Calgary is a funny one with that owner.

It was probably a bit desperate but they were put in a tough spot. Iirc, both guys said they wouldn't negotiate in season, so it was either sign them then or walk them to UFA right after two cornerstones turned their backs on the franchise and were criticized for walking Gudreau to leaving for zero return. They probably should have waited it out and traded them at the deadline after the team faltered that year, but you can see the reasoning and Weegar is at least a positive value contract and Huberdeau will be half done before it matters. We would have dreamed of having vets like that during our rebuild, maybe it would have been the difference.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I thought that was their re-tool. They signed those two and brought in Kadri, it just didn't work out. Now they're deeper in to a need to re-build, but by all accounts will try to do it on the fly and still compete. Calgary is a funny one with that owner.

It was probably a bit desperate but they were put in a tough spot. Iirc, both guys said they wouldn't negotiate in season, so it was either sign them then or walk them to UFA right after two cornerstones turned their backs on the franchise.
Probably doesn't help that Gaudreau had a career year and dragged the Flames on. I was reading that MTkachuk wanted to sign long term when Treliving gave him that 3 year extension...big oomph

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Probably doesn't help that Gaudreau had a career year and dragged the Flames on. I was reading that MTkachuk wanted to sign long term when Treliving gave him that 3 year extension...big oomph
Ya, they looked like a competitive team at the time, so it didn't seem crazy to me. Their top 4 d was Andersson, Weegar, Tanev & Hanifin which is really good. Goaltending was an issue. Markstrom was coming off a .922 save % and followed it up with .892, so you could point to that pretty heavily imo.

I'm not sure where that MTkachuk info comes from. At the time, the tone seemed to be that he was tracking to get out of town. I still hold that belief, he wanted out and cleared the path for that to be possible. So be it, that was his choice and now he gets his cup with a very fortunate team.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

If indeed he wants out, I want it to be smooth. With a return we can feel good about. And not some 28 year old with 7 years left on an 8-9 AAV contract that kills us.

No more Bobby Ryan. No more Zib/Brassard. And so on. And we do not need to see some Timo Meier coming this way.
An Alpaca's top speed is 35 mph.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Ya, they looked like a competitive team at the time, so it didn't seem crazy to me. Their top 4 d was Andersson, Weegar, Tanev & Hanifin which is really good. Goaltending was an issue. Markstrom was coming off a .922 save % and followed it up with .892, so you could point to that pretty heavily imo.

I'm not sure where that MTkachuk info comes from. At the time, the tone seemed to be that he was tracking to get out of town. I still hold that belief, he wanted out and cleared the path for that to be possible. So be it, that was his choice and now he gets his cup with a very fortunate team.
M Tkatchuk filed for arbitration. Coming off a 104 point season and a +57 (He Lindholm and Gaudreau were 1, 2 and 3 in reverse order). He would have smoked the Flames for 11-12 M easily.

That was a; trade me or I will arib. you to death. Imagine arb. the next year, after his 109 points. He would have landed at 12-13 for 2023/2024.

He wanted out and Calgary made a bad trade. While I have huge doubts Miami would have given up Barkov, I wonder if they asked for him?

Weager's contract is okay AAV wise. It is 2 years too long, And/or needed to be back diving to ease a trade in another 2-3 years.

An Alpaca's top speed is 35 mph.
Did not know that. Thanks Loach.

Do you want to know the speed of a fart in vacuum?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
M Tkatchuk filed for arbitration. Coming off a 104 point season and a +57 (He Lindholm and Gaudreau were 1, 2 and 3 in reverse order). He would have smoked the Flames for 11-12 M easily.

That was a; trade me or I will arib. you to death. Imagine arb. the next year, after his 109 points. He would have landed at 12-13 for 2023/2024.

He wanted out and Calgary made a bad trade. While I have huge doubts Miami would have given up Barkov, I wonder if they asked for him?

Weager's contract is okay AAV wise. It is 2 years too long, And/or needed to be back diving to ease a trade in another 2-3 years.
That sounds about right. Seemed like he tracked that whole scenario pretty much perfectly for him to get paid and get out of town, and I thought they'd tried long term with him and he declined.

They did get a 1st and Cole Schwindt out of the deal too, so there was some form of "futures" involved, it wasn't just Hubs and Weegs. When they inevitably flip Weegar, that will likely be another 1st +.

It's overblown how bad that deal was knowing that Tkachuk was demanding a trade, and willing to sign long term with 1 organization on a discount. If Huberdeau hadn't been signed, didn't completely flop, and was flipped at the deadline, it'd be a solid haul. It's basically the immediate cratering of Hubs that skewered the deal. Then they doubled down with Kadri who also had a down year. No matter how many times people say Calgary should have been rebuilding, the owner was not allowing that mandate, at least at that time, so an all futures deal wasn't an option for Treliving.

I disagree about Weegar. He's such a bargain for what he is on that AAV that it basically cancels out the too long part. That's a very good value contract for their best d man. He's one of the most desirable dman contracts out there that might actually be available imo.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Florida made a great trade with Calgary & Calgary over valued Huberdeau by a stupid wide margin. Who would you rather have on your team now, a soft skilled forward or a tough forward who can drag their team into the fight & also put up pts? Who do the players listen to in the room, the soft guy who won't defend his teammates or the guy that does? Who do the players want, the guy who intimidates the other team's best players or the guy that will be the one getting intimidated by Mathew? The last four teams in these playoffs all had tough teams. Whoever made the decision to not pay Mathew & instead trade him for Huberdeau should have been fired. Oh wait, he's in Toronto now & they lost in the first rd again.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad