Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ya a lot of the younger crowd today seem to like soft players, maybe something to do with video games, not sure.
Just seems like each new generation just gets softer,
I think so too. Imagine Dale Hunter is the coach of the opposing team, whose name do you think he is going to write on the board & say anyone who does not punish this guy with a hit or doesn't finish their check on them will not dress any more. If I'm coaching against the Sens Stutzle's name goes on the board & Sanderson's name goes on the board. Brady's name does not go on the board because Brady fights back, they may try to take him off the ice, but there will be a price to pay for that. The way to prevent that is for Ott to go after their best players, their soft players & drop the gloves with the guys targeting your best players. For anyone who has ever played contact sports at a high level it's a lot more intimidating than fans know although it's fully understood that it is slowly changing, but will still take a while before it is taken out of the playoffs when everything is on the line.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
no one is moving him or any significant pieces. Contrary to what is being bandied about.

Staios has to concentrate on a goalie move. An RHD move and a 2nd line winger move. The goalie move is to replace the #2, not Korpo. They have to give Korpo 2 years to see if he bounces back. Getting a #2 will allow them the luxury of kid glove handling of Korpo.

An RHD is obvious and is probably linked to Chyc. departure. I can see Chyc being traded for some #2/3 RHD, most probably a #3 RHD. You use him for 1-2 years, until you can make a more solid move for a quality #1 RHD.

2nd line winger is an FA deal that does not require moving pieces off your roster.

Not that I put too much stock in Gord Wilson, but he was on TSN1200 about an hour ago. He said, he does not envision major moves.

I am paraphrasing Gord.. Brady needs to improve his all around game and become a little more like Barkov. Pretty much what all of us are thinking.
I agree with all of that, except to say that if they acquire a RD through trade or UFA it would still make sense IMO to draft a good RD & I have one in mind, to eventually replace the pro RD they are trying to acquire now when their contract is over.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I agree with all of that, except to say that if they acquire a RD through trade or UFA it would still make sense IMO to draft a good RD & I have one in mind, to eventually replace the pro RD they are trying to acquire now when their contract is over.
yes, if I could read minds, I would tell you; that is probably what Staios is thinking.

Reactions: aragorn

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Ya a lot of the younger crowd today seem to like soft players, maybe something to do with video games, not sure.
Just seems like each new generation just gets softer,
To understand the young fan, go to an outdoor rink in winter. It is young players, doing the Michigan and fancy free skating.

In 2015, my then 13 year old Nephew was at the Bell tournament. I went to watch. And it was shiny hockey!

In case you are wondering, in the late 70's when we played on outdoor rinks, we damn near killed each other. And everyone played in lanes and structured. And the Michigan/lacrosse move would have gotten your teeth knocked out.

it is no accident that Florida is in the cup again. It is a very rough team. Edmonton is in, because they have gotten way nastier. In fact the 8 teams that made up the quarter finals, were about as nasty a group as you can have in the league.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Stutzle is a true Tier 1 player and a game breaker to win the Stanley Cup. Tkachuk is close to Tier 1. But too many lazy plays and cherry pickings. Who could ask for a trade any moment. Why to risk it? He does not even want to be in Ottawa any more, from what I hear.
Certainly needs to change his attitude then. And under JM , Brady was a better all round player than Timmy.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm warming up to the idea of trading Brady. Not because I don't like the player, I'm as big as a fan as you can get, and I think that type of player is exactly what you need in the playoffs. Brady is something we've craved for literally decades to get that power forward.

But, I also don't want this franchise to be forced to placate to Brady's wishes to be competitive now if the franchise isn't ready to make that switch. I believe this is what happened two offseasons ago when Tkachuk and Chabot made it clear to Dorion in the exit interviews they wanted to win. The timing wasn't right and the core was not good enough yet. For all these awful years we had a good draft in 2018 and 2020 and that's all we have to show for it. This rebuild was expeditated way too fast and I'm not a believer in the core of this team TBH. There's good pieces but I still think we're 2-3 top picks away from switching to win now. If they decide to switch now, I worry we'll be stuck in mediocrity unless Staios absolutely hits a few home runs on the trade and FA front.

I don't envy the mess that was left with Steve. Absolutely brutal job by Dorion.
Dude, this franchise is ready to be a playoff team right now.

I know it’s all doom and gloom in here lately, but don’t let that fool you, we aren’t off the rails or whatever.

Decent goaltending and we’re in the dance this year. Pinto all year and perhaps that’s enough on its own, or perhaps better coaching from the start.

We have two of those heading into next season, with moves to make. We aren’t blowing the team up by trading our captain away at 24. We’re going to surround him with talent and make the playoffs next season.

Book it.

no one is moving him or any significant pieces. Contrary to what is being bandied about.

Staios has to concentrate on a goalie move. An RHD move and a 2nd line winger move. The goalie move is to replace the #2, not Korpo. They have to give Korpo 2 years to see if he bounces back. Getting a #2 will allow them the luxury of kid glove handling of Korpo.

An RHD is obvious and is probably linked to Chyc. departure. I can see Chyc being traded for some #2/3 RHD, most probably a #3 RHD. You use him for 1-2 years, until you can make a more solid move for a quality #1 RHD.

2nd line winger is an FA deal that does not require moving pieces off your roster.

Not that I put too much stock in Gord Wilson, but he was on TSN1200 about an hour ago. He said, he does not envision major moves.

I am paraphrasing Gord.. Brady needs to improve his all around game and become a little more like Barkov. Pretty much what all of us are thinking.
I mean Brady being more like Barkov becomes arguably a better player than Barkov.

Reactions: aragorn and h2

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We don t want to trade Brady because , he s not good. Tkachuk family have a history to want out of canadian market. Why not regroup a good package now
Ya with Keith was weird, team was in financial straits, asked for a trade, didn’t happen, then signed an offer sheet, Winnipeg matched, Jets took the captaincy away, after matching, then Keith had his best season, even though that was it for the Winnipeg Jets 1.0.
I recall him and team waving at the crowd a final time, as team was moving to Arizona, and he was there for another 5 years, and restored as captain.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Dude, this franchise is ready to be a playoff team right now.

I know it’s all doom and gloom in here lately, but don’t let that fool you, we aren’t off the rails or whatever.

Decent goaltending and we’re in the dance this year. Pinto all year and perhaps that’s enough on its own, or perhaps better coaching from the start.

We have two of those heading into next season, with moves to make. We aren’t blowing the team up by trading our captain away at 24. We’re going to surround him with talent and make the playoffs next season.

Book it.

I mean Brady being more like Barkov becomes arguably a better player than Barkov.
Yup we just need to make two moves (RHD instead of chychrun and add a veteran forward) and then hope (only thing we can do) that korpi will be much better. Back up goaltender doesn’t really matter.

I expect playoffs next year. The whole roster needs to come in better prepared and I think they’re motivated to do that.

I can’t tell if it’s just fans on here and social media or fans everywhere that are this nuts but I’m hoping it’s just here and Twitter.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm warming up to the idea of trading Brady. Not because I don't like the player, I'm as big as a fan as you can get, and I think that type of player is exactly what you need in the playoffs. Brady is something we've craved for literally decades to get that power forward.

But, I also don't want this franchise to be forced to placate to Brady's wishes to be competitive now if the franchise isn't ready to make that switch. I believe this is what happened two offseasons ago when Tkachuk and Chabot made it clear to Dorion in the exit interviews they wanted to win. The timing wasn't right and the core was not good enough yet. For all these awful years we had a good draft in 2018 and 2020 and that's all we have to show for it. This rebuild was expeditated way too fast and I'm not a believer in the core of this team TBH. There's good pieces but I still think we're 2-3 top picks away from switching to win now. If they decide to switch now, I worry we'll be stuck in mediocrity unless Staios absolutely hits a few home runs on the trade and FA front.

I don't envy the mess that was left with Steve. Absolutely brutal job by Dorion.

That's a very good point. Andy an Staios have alluded to the team being much further away than we think it is from competing. And do we really want to sacrifice more top picks and players to keep guys on the team happy when they haven't given any results.

But damn.....this is going to suck, and suck hard, if we lose another star. Dig too deep, and you never get out of the hole.

Such a shitty situation all around, and most of it definitely is on Dorion and Melynk.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I think so too. Imagine Dale Hunter is the coach of the opposing team, whose name do you think he is going to write on the board & say anyone who does not punish this guy with a hit or doesn't finish their check on them will not dress any more. If I'm coaching against the Sens Stutzle's name goes on the board & Sanderson's name goes on the board. Brady's name does not go on the board because Brady fights back, they may try to take him off the ice, but there will be a price to pay for that. The way to prevent that is for Ott to go after their best players, their soft players & drop the gloves with the guys targeting your best players. For anyone who has ever played contact sports at a high level it's a lot more intimidating than fans know although it's fully understood that it is slowly changing, but will still take a while before it is taken out of the playoffs when everything is on the line.

Dorion gave MacEwen a three year deal for this reason.

Edit: I'm in the camp that believes you need one guy in the lineup who is going to punch faces if the other team starts targeting the stars. I would just look for someone a little better than MacEwen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dorion gave MacEwen a three year deal for this reason.

Edit: I'm in the camp that believes you need one guy in the lineup who is going to punch faces if the other team starts targeting the stars. I would just look for someone a little better than MacEwen
I agree, right now I would argue that Brady is the toughest guy on the team & the best fighter & he's also our highest scorer which we need on the ice. They need to bring in someone to do that who actually wins fights like McGratton did. I like Crouse & Wilson two big guys who can play, hit, put up pts, play the PK & fight.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Then let's get rid of Stutzle unstead., switch Brady for Stutzle, just say it you hate Brady! Brady is a generational talent, we just view generational talents differently, You call EK a generational talent & I don't agree at all with that, he;s a one dimensional offensive talent. Soft players don't make us difficult to play against they just make us softer which is what you want. Brady is a player you rebuild around & they are extremely rare, those others you talk about are a dime a dozen & always available through UFA. And who is going to drop the gloves? As soon as a soft player on the Sens gets attacked people start crying for Brady to fight them inlcuding fighting his own brother. Who is going to stick up for these soft players you are always whining for?

If trading Stutzle makes us a better team then trade him too.

And Brady being a generational talent and not Karlsson?

Dude just look at what each was able to accomplish with what they had. Both individually and as a team.

if we had a 21 to 25 year old Karlsson leading this core we make the playoffs certainly more than zero times and most likely every time, and do damage in the playoffs.

Karlsson and Brady are incomparable as hockey players and as leaders.

One was the captain of one of the scrappiest and pesky Senators teams that consistently over performed their talent levels and defied expert projections while the other defied experts by consistently choking and underperforming their talent levels.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Why not trade Stutzle now instead of Tkachuk when Tkachuk is the better player & much more valuable player? Stutzle has a reputation of being a crybaby, whiner & diver & how many games did he cost us giving the puck away? Do you know the Tkachuk family personally or are you just making shit up about them? Who is going to want to come to Ottawa if we keep trading our best players? How do you build a winner if you keep trading your best players? It's a dumb idea.

Attacking Stutzle doesn’t help make points about Brady.

Trading either would be brain dead.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
People do not realize that Tkachuk could ask for a trade at any moment. Hiring Green was a bad PR move. It will not attract any good free agents. There will be no playoffs again and probably Green will stop cherry picking for Tkachuk. Test the waters, Trade him now. Winning the cup requires at least 4 tier 1 players. Always had been like this. Always. Two forwards, goalie and a D. You can always find auxiliary grit in trades and on a FA market. But we need to find a team with the Tier 1 goalie and Tier 1 forward, who is willing to trade. We can then draft Parekh and complete the 4 coveted Tier 1 players. I have no problem trading then Chabot and Chychrun for solid defense and a forward. Because those two do not make Sens any better.

Watch Markstrom only want to come to Ottawa because of Green and Ottawa makes a soft deal for the steal

cal: Joseph, Sogaard, Brannstrom
ott: Markstrom

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If trading Stutzle makes us a better team then trade him too.

And Brady being a generational talent and not Karlsson?

Dude just look at what each was able to accomplish with what they had. Both individually and as a team.

if we had a 21 to 25 year old Karlsson leading this core we make the playoffs certainly more than zero times and most likely every time, and do damage in the playoffs.

Karlsson and Brady are incomparable as hockey players and as leaders.

One was the captain of one of the scrappiest and pesky Senators teams that consistently over performed their talent levels and defied expert projections while the other defied experts by consistently choking and underperforming their talent levels.
I don't think you should be calling EKs teams chokers & underperforming? o_O
Attacking Stutzle doesn’t help make points about Brady.

Trading either would be brain dead.
It drives them crazy & it's very entertaining. :laugh: :popcorn:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Imagine Ott teams having to play against Brady, if you think Mathew is a pain in the ass wait till you have to play against Brady. NYR have Trouba, Miller, & Schneider on defence all big guys & all will drop the gloves, then they would have Krieder, Goodrow, Cullye, Rempe, Vesey, Brodzinsky, Roslovic & Brady at forward if that trade was made. The Sens would never be able to get out of their Conference with the Rangers & Florida to have to contend with. Who on Ott can stop Brady? Brady in his rookie season went after Shea Weber & held his own. Who on the Sens can challenge him as he gets bigger & stronger?

Reactions: Icelevel

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1717759866067.png

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Imagine Ott teams having to play against Brady, if you think Mathew is a pain in the ass wait till you have to play against Brady. NYR have Trouba, Miller, & Schneider on defence all big guys & all will drop the gloves, then they would have Krieder, Goodrow, Cullye, Rempe, Vesey, Brodzinsky, Roslovic & Brady at forward if that trade was made. The Sens would never be able to get out of their Conference with the Rangers & Florida to have to contend with. Who on Ott can stop Brady? Brady in his rookie season went after Shea Weber & held his own. Who on the Sens can challenge him as he gets bigger & stronger?
Don’t forget chasing Lucic around….

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I'm struggling to understand your point here... are you suggesting they should trade for Tkachuk and name the team the Utah Tkachuks? Perhaps Brady can be the team identity, Logo, and Mascot?
Posted in the wrong thread… sorry, meant to post in Around the NHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Would you trade Tkachuk to Rangers for Shesterkin+Lafrenière+Gabriel Perreault+first?
Nothing more than this is no go. I would add second round pick as well.
Yeah in terms of value that definitely wows me. Why are rangers offering that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad