Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 91 64.5%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 40 28.4%

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You're not counting Rielly as one of the 6? There's no doubt he's going to be on the team.
I think he will be on team but I have heard rumours Tre is testing him and Mitch in market already .. but chances of pulling da trigger on a deal for either of those guys are very very very small .. so yes he will very likely be on team next season

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I think he will be on team but I have heard rumours Tre is testing him and Mitch in market already .. but chances of pulling da trigger on a deal for either of those guys are very very very small .. so yes he will very likely be on team next season
Rielly signed for 8 years and at a fairer cap hit than Marner could ever dream of, and he has had better playoff performances in the past than Marner ever has. He has shown more evidence of accountability and maturity. He wants to be here. I don't think there's any chance he OK's a move. He's far from perfect but if we trade Rielly who the crap is going to move the puck from the backend on this team?

Reactions: PromisedLand

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I hope Tre is testing the market on every player, after all his job is to improve thd team. I really really hate that Leaf Nation likes players more than the team. Hard to talk hockey with people who gave man crushes on ghd players…….

I hope Tre is testing the market on every player, after all his job is to improve thd team. I really really hate that Leaf Nation likes players more than the team. Hard to talk hockey with people who gave man crushes on ghd players…….

Rielly signed for 8 years and at a fairer cap hit than Marner could ever dream of, and he has had better playoff performances in the past than Marner ever has. He has shown more evidence of accountability and maturity. He wants to be here. I don't think there's any chance he OK's a move. He's far from perfect but if we trade Rielly who the crap is going to move the puck from the backend on this team?
The forwards, they’ll have to come back into the defensive zone and help move the puck up the ice, seem pretty academic to me…..

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly signed for 8 years and at a fairer cap hit than Marner could ever dream of, and he has had better playoff performances in the past than Marner ever has. He has shown more evidence of accountability and maturity. He wants to be here. I don't think there's any chance he OK's a move. He's far from perfect but if we trade Rielly who the crap is going to move the puck from the backend on thus team?
One rumour I had heard was Mitch and Leafs 2024 1st rounder to Columbus for Werenski and Columbus' 2024 1st rounder .. to acquire a big fast puck moving D man to move pucks and play #1 PP .. also gets Leafs another top D as folk say draft is loaded for big D at top of 2024 draft .. i like Sam myself and would make him da cornerstone of our blue line for years to come

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
On Friday May 31, Treliving marked his first anniversary as GM of the Leafs.

I thought last season would be a bit of a re-set/evaluation year and his impact would be seen more beginning this summer. He did have a few wins with some trades and signings but also a few disappointments.

What do you consider his best and worse move ?
Treliving is just like the others below. Came in as the next great hope, and left shaking their head upon exit. He's just like the other GM's who can't turn this franchise around, because this organization is owned by 2 mobile cellular companies at war.

Dubas -
Lamoriello -
Nonis -
Burke - he was the only one who alluded to the "special ownership" shitshow of this franchise. But he quickly disguised his words to not let it slip out.
Ferguson Jr
Quinn
Dryden

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Treliving is just like the others below. Came in as the next great hope, and left shaking their head upon exit. He's just like the other GM's who can't turn this franchise around, because this organization is owned by 2 mobile cellular companies at war.

Dubas -
Lamoriello -
Nonis -
Burke - he was the only one who alluded to the "special ownership" shitshow of this franchise. But he quickly disguised his words to not let it slip out.
Ferguson Jr
Quinn
Dryden
You lost me.
1. Treliving is still the GM he wasn't 'left shaking their head upon exit'.
2. I don't see what the connection is you're trying to make between ownership and the GM.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You lost me.
1. Treliving is still the GM he wasn't 'left shaking their head upon exit'.
2. I don't see what the connection is you're trying to make between ownership and the GM.
3. there's been i believe 3 ownership groups those GM's worked under

Reactions: ACC1224

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Tre literally had like 2 to 3 weeks to trade those guys before their NMCs kicked in and there is no way that Shanahan allows it. The jury finds him innocent.

He has however, made several bad trades with Calgary. Let's hope he's learning those lessons faster than Tavares.

If rumours are to be believed they did shop Nylander but the return they were getting was trash so they decided to extend Willy instead. That said, I'd rather have Willy at 11.5 then Marner at 12+ AAV. As long as Marner is traded (ideal scenario) or not resigned (2nd best let him walk as a UFA) I think we should be fine. Tavares would be off the cap the same time as Marner and Tre can really re-shape the roster. We will have 3 cracks at the cup with Matthews still under contract and after that it is rebuild time anyway IMO

Regarding calgary his hands were tied. He was forced by ownership. Just read the articles below

Treliving wanted out of Calgary. its not a secret everyone knows. Because the flames ownership was poisonous

1. Calgary Flames, general manager Brad Treliving agree to part ways | TSN

2. Treliving's decision to bolt leaves Flames looking lost

"This was, without question, Treliving’s choice. He fired the Flames, not the other way around."

If I recall correctly, even the Sutter hire wasn't really Treliving, Brad was forced by ownership to ink that deal.

His GMming with Flames should be looked at with a grain of salt IMO

Reactions: socko

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser

:yo:

kenny-kenny-rogers.gif

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I kind of like the attitude Tre had by not being a big time buyer like Dubas has been over the last few years. He was realistic and didn't look at things the way Dubas did...in a "vaccum" which led us to think if only a bounce went our way we would be like FLA....

Absolutely LOVED when Tre said "answers must come from the locker room" during the TDL. He was like show me and I might "add" next year. Your history is something that tells me I shouldn't add like the previous MORON who was a GM who ruined everything for the Leafs

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
For the longest time I believed that IF one of the wingers were to be moved out, it would be the local boy Marner that would stay and the free spirited Nylander that would be moved out.

However I think BT (so far anyways) has made the right choice in who to re-sign and keep.

The final straw for ME and perhaps management came during the playoffs when an immature whining, complaining Marner was throwing a temper tantrum and his gloves on the bench and a composed Nylander turned to him and said "Shut up and just F'ing play". That showed true leadership on Willy's part and not only in words but also actions as he went out and scored 3 goals in only 4 playoff games leading the Leafs while his 3 X $11 teammates all contributed 1 goal a piece and 3 combined in the series loss.

That might have been the final turning point as to who stays and who goes and showed the player who you wanted to stand behind and support and who sends a leadership message that no one could support, nor rally around.

BT has an opportunity although admittedly difficult with a NMC standing in the way to change this team significantly with a Marner trade. Worse comes to worse and a difficult player blocks all movement then BT deciding to walk away from Marner and using his $11 mil cap recovery on new replacement players is still a better move then doubling down and caving in to Marner's +$12 next contract, where 2 wrong's don't make a right.

So what happens with Marner going forward will be a major grading item when reviewing the performance of our new GM for me.

I think the quote you are looking for is.....

GMQajzPW8AAQeqB.jpg

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't believe to be true. If I recall correctly at the time of Dubas firing, Shanahan had already commented publicly that the core 4 were coming back for 1 last chance.

By the time BT arrived, he inherited a situation from above with a mandate that "We can and We will" is all coming back, and so Treliving's hands essential tied in regards to core 4.

That changed after this year with a new CEO and another disappointing playoff exit.

Shanahan takes blame for early exits, Core 4 changes on the table

"Our results in the playoffs have not been good enough. That's on me," Shanahan said.

Shanahan, alongside general manager Brad Treliving and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment CEO Keith Pelley, met with reporters one day after the team fired head coach Sheldon Keefe following his fourth opening-round exit in five years. Shanahan said he appreciated Keefe taking the blame for the playoff letdowns in Toronto, but said the "unacceptable" results are on him. He added that all options will be on the table this off-season as the Maple Leafs look to take a step forward.

“We will look at everything this summer and will consider everything with the intention of making the Maple Leafs better and to win,” Shanahan said, declining to speak on the future of any specific players.

Shanahan has continuously backed the team's "Core 4" throughout his time in Toronto, but struck a different tone on Friday, noting the time for patience may be at an end. Captain John Tavares and winger Mitch Marner are both entering the final seasons of their contracts after Treliving extended both Auston Matthews and William Nylander this season.

"It has certainly become evident that we have to assess all of those things and assess if we have to do some very difficult things to make the team better," Shanahan said

Shanahan takes blame for early playoff exits, all options are on the table for Toronto Maple Leafs | TSN

I've posted this in other threads but still relevant with your post

Pelley: "We are about winning. We are not here to sell jerseys"

Treliving: "Skills are important but on their own they are not enough you still MUST be willing to do unsexy things"

Shanahan (finally publicly acknowledging): "Players have to go to the tough areas. Time for patience is over"

BIG WORDS.... Now I wanna see these words turned into ACTION. Else is nothing but a bunch of bull

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I kind of like the attitude Tre had by not being a big time buyer like Dubas has been over the last few years. He was realistic and didn't look at things the way Dubas did...in a "vaccum" which led us to think if only a bounce went our way we would be like FLA....
The Leafs aren't a bounce away.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
For the longest time I believed that IF one of the wingers were to be moved out, it would be the local boy Marner that would stay and the free spirited Nylander that would be moved out.

However I think BT (so far anyways) has made the right choice in who to re-sign and keep.

The final straw for ME and perhaps management came during the playoffs when an immature whining, complaining Marner was throwing a temper tantrum and his gloves on the bench and a composed Nylander turned to him and said "Shut up and just F'ing play". That showed true leadership on Willy's part and not only in words but also actions as he went out and scored 3 goals in only 4 playoff games leading the Leafs while his 3 X $11 teammates all contributed 1 goal a piece and 3 combined in the series loss.

That might have been the final turning point as to who stays and who goes and showed the player who you wanted to stand behind and support and who sends a leadership message that no one could support, nor rally around.

BT has an opportunity although admittedly difficult with a NMC standing in the way to change this team significantly with a Marner trade. Worse comes to worse and a difficult player blocks all movement then BT deciding to walk away from Marner and using his $11 mil cap recovery on new replacement players is still a better move then doubling down and caving in to Marner's +$12 next contract, where 2 wrong's don't make a right.

So what happens with Marner going forward will be a major grading item when reviewing the performance of our new GM for me.
Watching the guys set up for a faceoff, particularly on the PP, it seems to be Nylander usually doing most of the talking.

Combined with his talk on the bench, it looks like he's taking on more of the leadership role.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With just a couple of weeks until the NHL entry draft and free agency, it is expected that the Leafs and GM Brad Treliving will be making lots of noise in the hopes of becoming the next Canadian team to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, following suit with the Edmonton Oilers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs aren't a bounce away.
Leafs already bounced Dubas and now bounced his BFF Keefe, so that is at least 2 bounces that have moved the Leafs forward with competent management and coaching. :)

A clueless Dubas and an Incompetent Keefe won exactly 1 series together in the Soo of the OHL and managed to waste 5-6 years of Leafs competitiveness winning exactly 1 series in Toronto.

Those bounces have taken us from OHL management to NHL management and that is a good thing.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think there was enough to evaluate Tre this year. He did some good, he did some bad, but overall it was a year for him to get acquainted with the organization and players within it. The real work is about to begin this offseason and for the coming year. A year form now and I think we will all have a better view on whether or not he has done a good job in Toronto.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not sure if I'm misinterpreting the conversation here - but they did shop Nylander last year, and then stopped when they realized they couldn't land the top Dman that they were coveting
How many teams would trade their top defenceman one-for-one for ANY forward?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I think the quote you are looking for is.....

GMQajzPW8AAQeqB.jpg
"Hey, I missed the first three games, but now in game 4 I'm taking charge... Oh, wait, nah, I'll wait until we're almost eliminated, show up for a game and then I won't get blamed for blowing it along with the rest... Again."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad