Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 68 35.2%

• Total voters

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One rumour I had heard was Mitch and Leafs 2024 1st rounder to Columbus for Werenski and Columbus' 2024 1st rounder .. to acquire a big fast puck moving D man to move pucks and play #1 PP .. also gets Leafs another top D as folk say draft is loaded for big D at top of 2024 draft .. i like Sam myself and would make him da cornerstone of our blue line for years to come
Where did you hear that?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
We will have 3 cracks at the cup with Matthews still under contract and after that it is rebuild time anyway IMO
Which is what we're looking at anyway at this point, only thanks to the guy you're all praising there's a good chance Willy prevents us from rebuilding until HIS contract expires...

So, three years with Matthews hoping we do something, then four years of us being in the same spot we were under JFJ, waiting for Sundin to retire so we can finally bottom out.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
"Hey, I missed the first three games, but now in game 4 I'm taking charge... Oh, wait, nah, I'll wait until we're almost eliminated, show up for a game and then I won't get blamed for blowing it along with the rest... Again."
Yeah, his plan worked bc he scored as many goals as AM, JT and MM combined. IF only the other three scored a few more goals to ruin Willie's plan.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, his plan worked bc he scored as many goals as AM, JT and MM combined. IF only the other three scored a few more goals to ruin Willie's plan.
I wasn't aware that points had been replaced by goals. But hey, guess you're happy we're going to be the paying a 70-80 point man $11.5 million...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I wasn't aware that points had been replaced by goals. But hey, guess you're happy we're going to be the paying a 70-80 point man $11.5 million...
1. Goal matters more as there is always an award for most goals scored but never an award for most assists.
2. I will only be happy if Leafs win the Cup regardless of who is on the roster. Logo on the front and not name on the back.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
1. Goal matters more as there is always an award for most goals scored but never an award for most assists.
2. I will only be happy if Leafs win the Cup regardless of who is on the roster. Logo on the front and not name on the back.
1) Assists LEAD to goals. By that argument, Hyman > McDavid, but who does all the actual work?
2) Well, then pray last year's Nylander is the new Nylander, because if we get the Nylander from the entire rest of his career going forward, that contract is going to make the Marner one everyone whines about look like a bargain...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1) Assists LEAD to goals. By that argument, Hyman > McDavid, but who does all the actual work?
2) Well, then pray last year's Nylander is the new Nylander, because if we get the Nylander from the entire rest of his career going forward, that contract is going to make the Marner one everyone whines about look like a bargain...
1. Can a goal happened without an assist? And stop with these McD stuff, as he is by far the best player in hockey, to me, he is at least three tiers above the next player.
2. MM's contract will never look like a bargain. Willie just needs to score in the playoffs. If he can lead the team in playoffs goals, thats a lot better than AM, MM and JT.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Goals are more valuable in my opinion, but there is an award for most points, and that award values a goal the same as an assist.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We've been paying a 70-80 point man $11M for six years.

Now we'll be paying an 80-100 point man $11.5M.

As a percentage of the cap, we will be paying a better player who is still improving, a lower amount.

Goals are generally considered to be more significant than points, but hey, if you're happy with points, then only Matthews had a higher points per game.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Considering that he has been improving each year (while Mitch hasn't), I would think that is likely.

Why would you think a worse player who is paid more and disappears in the playoffs would "look like a bargain" by comparison?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It could've been worse.

I was cautiously optimistic heading into the season. To say my expectations weren't met wouldn't be accurate though. If anything they did exactly what I expected.

And if they do it all again next year I'll expect the same thing then too.

Given the mess he left Calgary in, and the fact he botched his first year here, I think it's safe to say Treliving's not a good GM. Being not as bad as Dubas isn't good enough. The bar needs to be higher than not being completely incompetent.

It seems like Treliving's greatest successes were things that DIDN'T happen.

At least they didnt trade the first. At least they didn't miss the playoffs. At least they didn't lose Matthews or Nylander to free agency.

You know your team's management is horrible when the only defense they have is that it could've been worse.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I've posted this in other threads but still relevant with your post

Pelley: "We are about winning. We are not here to sell jerseys"

Treliving: "Skills are important but on their own they are not enough you still MUST be willing to do unsexy things"

Shanahan (finally publicly acknowledging): "Players have to go to the tough areas. Time for patience is over"

BIG WORDS.... Now I wanna see these words turned into ACTION. Else is nothing but a bunch of bull
Idiots here think this was all achieved by changing the coach. I mean sometimes it’s embarrassing being a member of this forum………

Watching the guys set up for a faceoff, particularly on the PP, it seems to be Nylander usually doing most of the talking.

Combined with his talk on the bench, it looks like he's taking on more of the leadership role.
That’s great, now if Berube can cure him of his allergy to physical contact he might be useful………

Reactions: PromisedLand

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm not a GM so I can't answer that, but a critical part of the GM's job is knowing who is available, and what the acquisition price is.
The correct answer is none and it is pretty much what Tre said when he tried to trade Nylander for one last summer.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The correct answer is none and it is pretty much what Tre said when he tried to trade Nylander for one last summer.
We don't know that - it's likely true because they never flipped Nylander in the end, but they also never offered out Marner either, so it's impossible to say.

There's also scenarios where teams might have moved a top D if they got a package in return, as opposed to a one-for-one.

Reactions: ACC1224

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leafs already bounced Dubas and now bounced his BFF Keefe, so that is at least 2 bounces that have moved the Leafs forward with competent management and coaching. :)

A clueless Dubas and an Incompetent Keefe won exactly 1 series together in the Soo of the OHL and managed to waste 5-6 years of Leafs competitiveness winning exactly 1 series in Toronto.

Those bounces have taken us from OHL management to NHL management and that is a good thing.
Yeah Oilers win a cup and we make changes after wasting 8 years and next year is a write off. We also have no picks next year and already dumped a 2nd and 4th in 2026. Same core equals no cup.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Goals are more valuable in my opinion, but there is an award for most points, and that award values a goal the same as an assist.
True but there is still no award for having the most assists but there is one for having the most goals.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'd say he met my expectations. Some good moves, some not so good. He was dealt with a handcuffed hand coming in where he has little wiggle room and marginal draft capital to work with.

I keep saying the better indication of his tenure will be seen 13 months from now when Tavares's contract is up. We'll see how he handles and navigates the Marner situation in the coming weeks. But what he spends Marner's and/or Tavares's money on the team and the type of roster he puts together will be a more telling sign of his GM tenure.

I'm pretty much writing off this upcoming season as a transition year, and the 2025-26 season will be the one that will show if this current group of core talent and players will ever have any success or it ends up being the biggest bust in franchise history.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm not a GM so I can't answer that, but a critical part of the GM's job is knowing who is available, and what the acquisition price is.
Exactly - and if he knows who is available and the price and decides it's not appropriate, should we accept his decision?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I'd say he met my expectations. Some good moves, some not so good. He was dealt with a handcuffed hand coming in where he has little wiggle room and marginal draft capital to work with.

I keep saying the better indication of his tenure will be seen 13 months from now when Tavares's contract is up. We'll see how he handles and navigates the Marner situation in the coming weeks. But what he spends Marner's and/or Tavares's money on the team and the type of roster he puts together will be a more telling sign of his GM tenure.

I'm pretty much writing off this upcoming season as a transition year, and the 2025-26 season will be the one that will show if this current group of core talent and players will ever have any success or it ends up being the biggest bust in franchise history.
Im so tired of the push it down the road mentality....the year after next is our year...blah blah blah. What a bunch of suckers we are.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Im so tired of the push it down the road mentality....the year after next is our year...blah blah blah. What a bunch of suckers we are.
It takes a while to maneuver and position yourself, get that feel, get in the grove, learn some lessons, see how things go, assess the situation, calculate the expected and find your niche.
I know when you see other teams build and they get further than us it’s easy to abandon all the above, but you have to know we are right there. Don’t be fooled by someone else winning the Cup, they probably didn’t do it right.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Leafs already bounced Dubas and now bounced his BFF Keefe, so that is at least 2 bounces that have moved the Leafs forward with competent management and coaching. :)

A clueless Dubas and an Incompetent Keefe won exactly 1 series together in the Soo of the OHL and managed to waste 5-6 years of Leafs competitiveness winning exactly 1 series in Toronto.

Those bounces have taken us from OHL management to NHL management and that is a good thing.

What has Treliving accomplished to make you think he is competent?

He wasn't the worst option, but I keep seeing you say this and I think it is wishful thinking, not based on any logic.

$20 million in cap space and being able to trade Minten, Knies, Robertson, Greb, Cowan, Niemela, and multiple firsts is enough to work with.

This talking point is so silly.

He just spent the total of Marner and Tavares' money on Samsanov, Klingberg, Bert, Domi, Reaves, and Kampf. I'd rather have Marner and Tavares.

He gets to do it again this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad