Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 68 35.2%

• Total voters

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You're confusing two very different things. The fact that he ended up, seven months later, having to sign the same deal that was available in the summer doesn't mean he stopped trying to work out a trade in June. It actually means exactly the opposite - if he had decided in June that he wasn't going to get any better offers, he would have signed in June. The fact that he didn't probably means he was entertaining offers for at least a few more months.

The options for Marner were:

1 - trade him quickly in June and risk losing badly (even assuming Shanahan would allow it)
2 - keep him and hope he finally works out
3 - try to get him to waive his NMC
4 - try to work out a sign and trade
5 - let him walk and gain just the cap space, which isn't 'nothing'
6 - resign him

Just because you can only see two options doesn't mean that anyone else is that limited. I can happily admit that there may be more than the six I listed.
It means they tried to negotiate with the Nylander camp, couldn't make them budge (at all) over 6 months, and then gave in to the deal in January.

Also - anyone with any sort of familiarity with how Darren Ferris operates, knows that there's only two options. #3, #4, and #6 were never going to happen. They will won't happen. Ferris walks his clients to the cliff all the time

I don't work in an NHL front office and I know that - I expect a tenured NHL GM to know that too

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Seems unlikely that Waddell would make that move given his desire to turn CBJ into a fast, consistent team.
I think you are right .. but Columbus' main objective this upcoming year is to get 2 home games to net McC family about $20M cash flow .. last few years they are a breakeven to slight loss team which is good because they lost their shirts for many years before that .. if Hunter can convince Wadell that team will make playoffs with Mitch then they might do it even if team chokes out in playoffs which is much more likely .. but that is da issue .. and then you got mitch who wants his golden deal done before he agrees to move .. it is too complicated and I bet it fails

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
One rumour I had heard was Mitch and Leafs 2024 1st rounder to Columbus for Werenski and Columbus' 2024 1st rounder .. to acquire a big fast puck moving D man to move pucks and play #1 PP .. also gets Leafs another top D as folk say draft is loaded for big D at top of 2024 draft .. i like Sam myself and would make him da cornerstone of our blue line for years to come
Tre would be a legend if he could turn Mitch and our first into Werenski and Dickinson

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It means they tried to negotiate with the Nylander camp, couldn't make them budge (at all) over 6 months, and then gave in to the deal in January.

Also - anyone with any sort of familiarity with how Darren Ferris operates, knows that there's only two options. #3, #4, and #6 were never going to happen. They will won't happen. Ferris walks his clients to the cliff all the time

I don't work in an NHL front office and I know that - I expect a tenured NHL GM to know that too
Right - they stopped trying to trade Nylander six months after the window for trading Marner was closed. Thank you for finally getting it.

As for the options around Marner, you are making assumptions about Ferris, while admitting you don't know.

Maybe a tenured NHL GM knows more than you do about the actual situation.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think you are right .. but Columbus' main objective this upcoming year is to get 2 home games to net McC family about $20M cash flow .. last few years they are a breakeven to slight loss team which is good because they lost their shirts for many years before that .. if Hunter can convince Wadell that team will make playoffs with Mitch then they might do it even if team chokes out in playoffs which is much more likely .. but that is da issue .. and then you got mitch who wants his golden deal done before he agrees to move .. it is too complicated and I bet it fails
I believe that as Columbus literally traded their farm to just make the playoffs a few years ago. Ofcourse they ended up sweeping the TB. But they done it before and I can see them do it again.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Right - they stopped trying to trade Nylander six months after the window for trading Marner was closed. Thank you for finally getting it.
They stopped shopping Nylander in the summer, shortly after they started shopping him, and moved onto contract talks.

Multiple days into this conversation, and you're still not getting it.

As for the options around Marner, you are making assumptions about Ferris

Maybe a tenured NHL GM knows more than you do about the actual situation.
An informed assumption based on how Ferris has handled his other high profile clients in the past, and what several people familiar with Ferris are saying publicly regarding how he likes to handle these situations.

Looking at Calgary's current cap situation, maybe that tenured GM you are falling on your sword for perhaps doesn't quite know as much as you assume he does...?

Reactions: Macallan18

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They stopped shopping Nylander in the summer, shortly after they started shopping him, and moved onto contract talks.

Multiple days into this conversation, and you're still not getting it.

An informed assumption based on how Ferris has handled his other high profile clients in the past, and what several people familiar with Ferris are saying publicly regarding how he likes to handle these situations.

Looking at Calgary's current cap situation, maybe that tenured GM you are falling on your sword for perhaps doesn't quite know as much as you assume he does...?
How do you know that? If they stopped shopping him in the summer, why didn't they sign him then? You're making less and less sense the longer you continue this.

At least you've finally admitted you are making assumptions. Speaking of which, your assumption that I'm "falling on (my) sword" is not only hyperbole, but just wrong. The only assumption I'm making about him it that he may know more about his job than you do.

Basically all I've been doing is questioning your assumptions.

Last edited:

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Since some people are giving Tre a letter score, I will give him mine:
F-
Why?
Many reasons, but one simple one is he hasn't solved either of our perennial problems, a good goalie and a first pairing d-man.
Domi and Beruzzi? unnecessary additions that didn't move the needle.
Apart from Benoit, all the defensemen signings show a 1970's mentality to hockey, vastly outdated and stupid ( other than Klingberg, which I presume was influenced by dropping acid or smoking too much crack it was so stupid.)
Signing Matthews and Nylander good moves. As were some other minor signings.
Anyways, Tre sucks.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
How do you know that? If they stopped shopping him int he summer, why didn't they sign him then? You're making less and less sense the longer you continue this.
I've already explained this to you, three times - the most recent one being yesterday.

They tried signing him last summer after things went nowhere with the trade, and his camp wanted 8x$11.5m with a full NMC. They weren't prepared to sign him to that deal, so decided to try and negotiate in season with him, only to realize that the Nylander camp simply wasn't budging off their initial ask - at which point, they caved, and gave Nylander the deal his camp were asking for 6 months prior.

Treliving quite literally told us this.

Please, for the love of god, don't ask for it be explained to you again - it's just getting weird that this point.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I've already explained this to you, three times - the most recent one being yesterday.

They tried signing him last summer after things went nowhere with the trade, and his camp wanted 8x$11.5m with a full NMC. They weren't prepared to sign him to that deal, so decided to try and negotiate in season with him, only to realize that the Nylander camp simply wasn't budging off their initial ask - at which point, they caved, and gave Nylander the deal his camp were asking for 6 months prior.

Treliving quite literally told us this.

Please, for the love of god, don't ask for it be explained to you again - it's just getting weird that this point.
You haven't actually explained anything - all you have done is offer a vague statement, and when I ask how you know that, you just repeat it.

If you say that Tre "literally told us that" then please provide evidence, rather than changing your story yet again.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Since some people are giving Tre a letter score, I will give him mine:
F-
Why?
Many reasons, but one simple one is he hasn't solved either of our perennial problems, a good goalie and a first pairing d-man.
Domi and Beruzzi? unnecessary additions that didn't move the needle.
Apart from Benoit, all the defensemen signings show a 1970's mentality to hockey, vastly outdated and stupid ( other than Klingberg, which I presume was influenced by dropping acid or smoking too much crack it was so stupid.)
Signing Matthews and Nylander good moves. As were some other minor signings.
Anyways, Tre sucks.
I think an F is harsh. You expect a guy to come here for 1 season and instantly correct the mess that’s gone on for 8 years before?

He might very well fail but how can you judge him on a 1 year sample size? I’ll go with a C. We made the playoffs and lost in the 1st round. So far looks exactly the same. If he runs the core back (unless Marner gave him no choice), I’ll drop the grade by 1.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think an F is harsh. You expect a guy to come here for 1 season and instantly correct the mess that’s gone on for 8 years before?

He might very well fail but how can you judge him on a 1 year sample size? I’ll go with a C. We made the playoffs and lost in the 1st round. So far looks exactly the same. If he runs the core back (unless Marner gave him no choice), I’ll drop the grade by 1.

I thought it was grading the past season not his career with the Leafs.

The team did worse.

He didn't do better than the previous guy.

I suppose if the previous guy got a B last year, a C might be appropriate.

I believe his strategy was good, the results were not.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

The team did worse.

Well his past season is his career with the Leafs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

The team did worse.

Tre could have beaten the Bruins if he traded the assets Dubas traded last year to win his SC.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well his past season is his career with the Leafs.

My point was in reference to you suggesting you'd drop his rating by 1 if he runs back the same.

Did you mean you'll reduce this previous year's rating by 1, from a 'C' to a 'D/C-', or next rating would be a -1?

What happens if he runs the exact some team back but they win 2 rounds in the playoffs? You couldn't give him less than this year. You'd have to give him at least a 'B', and likely based on coaching if it is the same team.

Anyway, you are much happier about the result this year than I am. Not a problem.

Cheers!

Reactions: Trapper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My point was in reference to you suggesting you'd drop his rating by 1 if he runs back the same.

Did you mean you'll reduce this previous year's rating by 1, from a 'C' to a 'D/C-', or next rating would be a -1?

What happens if he runs the exact some team back but they win 2 rounds in the playoffs? You couldn't give him less than this year. You'd have to give him at least a 'B', and likely based on coaching if it is the same team.

Anyway, you are much happier about the result this year than I am. Not a problem.

Cheers!
I’ve upset with the Leafs for so much recently ULF, I have to find some positive lol.

I’d also have to see how the same thing run back got to round 2. Because of it or in spite of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

I understand your view. But ffs we needed a goalie, what kind of an idiot goes into the playoffs with Samsonov???
F—

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs quite possibly could have beat the Bruins with a healthy line-up, including Klingberg.

Unfortunately, the dog ate his homework.
Don't be surprised if Klingberg is back this upcoming season.. Because of his injury and missing the entire season he qualifies for a special type (bonus laden) contract where he could get a league minimum base $800k base that counts against the Cap, and then (+$3-4 mil in bonus only paid out if earned) and goes into a slush overage count at end of season.

With Leafs being in Cap Hell with 4 X potential $11+ mil players and little cap space I wouldn't be surprised if a wise GM like Treliving uses this CBA loophole to add a top 4 Dman and PP QB to Leafs this upcoming season and won he already has in the shop and under repair currently.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Don't be surprised if Klingberg is back this upcoming season.. Because of his injury and missing the entire season he qualifies for a special type (bonus laden) contract where he could get a league minimum base $800k base that counts against the Cap, and then (+$3-4 mil in bonus only paid out if earned) and goes into a slush overage count at end of season.

With Leafs being in Cap Hell with 4 X potential $11+ mil players and little cap space I wouldn't be surprised if a wise GM like Treliving uses this CBA loophole to add a top 4 Dman and PP QB to Leafs this upcoming season and won he already has in the shop and under repair currently.

Yeah, I'd try the Klingberg experiment again but it would be league minimum and there's no way I'm giving him any performance bonuses, with the understanding we're helping you resume your NHL career, not to complicate our cap picture for any year moving forward.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Klingberg looked rough when he was healthy with the Leafs last fall, and hasn't had a good season since he was with Dallas several years ago. The guy is also probably ooked.

Maybe a one year, league minimum with no bonuses. Probably best for all involved to just go their separate ways though

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad