Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 68 35.2%

• Total voters

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Disappointing but not catastrophic so far.

We had a down regular season, another first round exit, a pricey Nylander extension at his peak value and a little lighter on assets than going into the year. We built an offensive team that couldn't score in the playoffs and didn't carry a ton of the play in the series. Core is a year older, full NMC all in place, less options to move now. Biggest gain is Benoit, a guy you want to b your #6 but happy he's here.

Some opportunity to move us forward this summer again hoping it turns out a little better

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Expectations and judgement... win a couple of rounds. There was some good, and some bad... but..

Failed to meet expectations.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
His best move was not giving away the farm at trade
His worst move is two fold…….giving Willy an over payment and not replacing Keefe prior to the season

Reactions: OddyOh

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Solid first year. I liked most of his moves. Domi, Bertuzzi, were both fine adds in UFA last year. Jones helped save the season as the #3 going in. Klingberg didn't work out but I understood the thought process behind it. Liked the Dewar and Edmundson deadline pickups, didn't care for Lyubushkin.

More importantly the team on the ice actually showed a pulse this year. There was some tenacity and pushback to their game at times. I'm excited for the future in that regard as we continue to get rid of the Dubas stink and Treliving builds the team more in his vision.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Expectations and judgement... win a couple of rounds. There was some good, and some bad... but..

Failed to meet expectations.

Did he though? I was not expecting this team to make a deep run this year. Didn’t really go for it at the trade deadline.

Plus we struggled most of the year to be consistent. I think the next two years will be where we should judge Tre the harshest. He’ll have time to make all his off-season moves and trades and it not be rushed

Reactions: HolyCrap

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I’m glad he didn’t trade away picks and prospects. Some decent moves made earlier on. He now needs to move some core pieces and re evaluate as this coming season will likely be Tavares last as a leaf. Hopefully Cowan can make the big step up and Knies keeps progressing. Without a starting goalie and/or a number 1 dman we’re not going far in playoffs anyways.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
For me his first year has been just okay. I have to wait and see how he does with any possible Marner trade before I can finally rate him on his first year.

Thus far, there have been some positives, however there still has been some negatives.

IMHO, this year's off season will tell the tale overall.

Shanahan still needs to be FIRED !!!

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

We had a down regular season, another first round exit, a pricey Nylander extension at his peak value and a little lighter on assets than going into the year. We built an offensive team that couldn't score in the playoffs and didn't carry a ton of the play in the series. Core is a year older, full NMC all in place, less options to move now. Biggest gain is Benoit, a guy you want to b your #6 but happy he's here.

Some opportunity to move us forward this summer again hoping it turns out a little better
Still don't know why the wealthiest team in hockey
Can't have top caliber GM talent
How about having a Stanley Cup ring on your resume

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So far, we've seen replacement level GM'ing from Brad Treliving with some positive signs that there will be a course correction on how the team is constructed moving forward. I think of Year One as jumping on a moving train and now we can see if he can switch tracks and do things a little or a lot differently.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Benoit was the feel good story of the year, lets hope Tre can go find a couple of more diamonds in the rough that shine with a little polishing...........

His worst move is two fold…….giving Willy an over payment and not replacing Keefe prior to the season
I think both of these were Shanahan calls, but I have no proof.............

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Between failed and met.

Went with failed, since he didn't meet.

Not a huge indictment, just not satisfied due to his adds not moving the needle.

You can't blame the GM for the players but you can blame the GM for acquiring the players.

Looking back on the start of the 2023-24 year, I can't even remember what my expectations were for this group other than a little hope mixed in with a lot of cynicism. So when it all went exactly to script, was I disappointed or did the year confirm all my resentments towards the core group, building up over the years?

Love him or hate him, Shanahan's year end presser about certain things not maturing and progressing hit the nail on the head for me. I don't think this group's problems are the day to day GM'ing of the team, the window dressing changes we see year to year, but the failure of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly growing as serious playoff people.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I trust his vision a lot more than Dubas’. It’s clear he gets what it takes to win in the playoffs but it will take time and some major restructuring for this team to do so. The added grit was nice though. Super curious of how the Berube hiring will work. He’s very dump and chase orientated and I’m curious how the PP will work or how his system will work with that core.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Did he though? I was not expecting this team to make a deep run this year. Didn’t really go for it at the trade deadline.

Plus we struggled most of the year to be consistent. I think the next two years will be where we should judge Tre the harshest. He’ll have time to make all his off-season moves and trades and it not be rushed
Your expectations for this team, may vary from mine... that's cool. He's gets to be graded next year, and the year after that too... and each years, it's the same expectations.

Reactions: francis246

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Sort of hard to evaluate.

Shanny brought him with the major decisions already made in his head (i.e. signing Willy, signing Keefe, keeping the core together). His real challenge is going to begin now as Keefe is gone, there's a new coach, and there is a willingness to move on from key players.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I trust his vision a lot more than Dubas’. It’s clear he gets what it takes to win in the playoffs but it will take time and some major restructuring for this team to do so. The added grit was nice though. Super curious of how the Berube hiring will work. He’s very dump and chase orientated and I’m curious how the PP will work or how his system will work with that core.

We hope he gets it but he really doesn't have a track record of getting it right.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Looking back on the start of the 2023-24 year, I can't even remember what my expectations were for this group other than a little hope mixed in with a lot of cynicism. So when it all went exactly to script, was I disappointed or did the year confirm all my resentments towards the core group, building up over the years?

Love him or hate him, Shanahan's year end presser about certain things not maturing and progressing hit the nail on the head for me. I don't think this group's problems are the day to day GM'ing of the team, the window dressing changes we see year to year, but the failure of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly growing as serious playoff people.
exactly, it's the high priced talent that don't live up to their contracts that's the problem.........

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He met my expectations because I expected him to be very "meh" and he was, he made the team slightly worse, and that is about what I expected.

he did what a smart exec does and that is come in and evaluate for a year making minimal long term changes so he can get first hand knowledge of the team. we will see where we go from here.

He re-signed Nylander and Matthews to raises with full NMC, so it isn't like he evaluated before making long-term decisions... he made no big changes though, I agree.

He also should have had an excellent understanding of the personnel of the Leafs before coming here, he was a GM of an NHL team.

I am not sure why people think he came in completely blind to how the NHL worked, or what teams had what players and how they performed.

I think Reeves will look much better under Berube’s coaching, Chief will know how to properly deploy Reeves………

He hasn't looked good in years before last, that is the issue.

Keefe had Reaves playing great hockey, but he still cost the team on multiple occasions during the playoffs.

I think it just comes down to him not being great at hockey.

The coach names the starter not the GM.

The GM gives the coach the goalies, and Samsanov was brought back by Treliving.

Not sure it was Keefe's fault for going with the goalie who was playing better down the stretch.

So far so good, my real opinion will be reserved for the start of next season, Tre can be a hero or a zero by then……

What was good about last season? He should have more time to improve the team, but we got worse last season.

Hopefully, he has a plan this year other than "snot", the Klingberg signing was the right idea but the wrong player.

"So far so good", how?

He still gave up 6 picks for fringe players.

Not terrible, but he brought in marginal upgrades which I think is a bigger waste than taking runs at impact players.

At least aim for guys who will be playing middle 6/middle pairing, not guys who could be healthy scratches some nights and no one would notice.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I liked the moves he made, but at the end of the day he lost in the first round.

He bet on the core 4, just like dubas
He bet on a shit goalie, just like dubas
He bet on the same coach that couldn’t get it done, just like dubas

I ain’t no dubas supporter at all, but I expected more from treliving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad