Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
There's a lot more intent in both of those plays IMO than what Mackinnon did.

Am I subconsciously cutting Mackinnon a little bit of slack because he's not a "tough guy"? Eh, I'd like to say no, but to be honest, maybe a little bit. The first play you showed by Hathaway involves WAY MORE force on the actual hit and the second is just a sneaky, cheap play when the player hasn't played the puck in about five seconds.

eh - nobody made Mackinnon hit Patrick up high and the result is a pretty tough injury. I kinda think this is exactly what should warrant sitting out a game or two. The intent wasn't terrible so not a lengthy suspension.

Hathaway, however, did intend to injure or at least there was malice or whatever NHL proper bylaw nomenclature would be, so that should be longer (3-6).

How this all ties into Marchand - he poked a guy with his stick and no one on the ice cared and no one got hurt. He got 6 games. And honestly I'm fine with that because he has to tighten that shit up. But Hathaway getting zero games for that AND his hit on f***ing Marchand is tricky for me. I was fine with the initial suspension but the appeal made me pretty ticked off.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
As soon as the "incident" with Jarry happened, I said "that's going to be 5-6 games for Brad." I still think he did not deserve that length of suspension, but I had zero illusions that Bettman would reduce it on appeal by even one game. Like it or not(NOT in this household), the dopes at DoPS have a laser focus on Marchand, due to his history which BTW is at least 60% created by the league's over response to earlier infractions. A true Catch 22:loony:
The question for the rest of the season, can he play with the edge that is required for his game to be effective and not get suspended again? For the Bruins' sake, I really hope so, this team is boring and sad without his spirit and jump.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
As soon as the "incident" with Jarry happened, I said "that's going to be 5-6 games for Brad." I still think he did not deserve that length of suspension, but I had zero illusions that Bettman would reduce it on appeal by even one game. Like it or not(NOT in this household), the dopes at DoPS have a laser focus on Marchand, due to his history which BTW is at least 60% created by the league's over response to earlier infractions. A true Catch 22:loony:
The question for the rest of the season, can he play with the edge that is required for his game to be effective and not get suspended again? For the Bruins' sake, I really hope so, this team is boring and sad without his spirit and jump.
He has shown he can play with an edge and great intensity without doing stupid stuff that gets him suspended. Able to do that most every game. Has gone for fairly long stretches without crossing the line. This latest incident is just plain bizarre. Game was essentially over and Jarry did basically nothing to him. Much worse has been done to Marchy this season without a major response from him. Dude just cannot seem to be able to control randomly snapping and going full-on moron from time to time. No excuse whatsoever for a player so important to the team and with elite skill to be pulling those kind of stunts. I absolutely love Marchy, but it's very frustrating that he acts so stupid sometimes.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
No player has a "suspension history" like Marchand, well I guess that's true, there isn't one LIKE it, and it's a self fulfilling prophecy if you over suspend him and then say look he has the most suspensions but that'd be Bettman's NHL. Man needs a little history lesson though.

Billy Coutu of Montreal, suspended for life for attacking the refs.
Raphy Torres suspended 5 times for head shots
Chris Simon suspended 8 times for a total of 65 games
Marty McSorley not only suspended, but convicted of assault.
Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon anyone remember that attack?
Todd Bertuzzi anyone?

and that doesn't include the current head hunters like Wilson, mentioned above. or Evander Kane getting to play with McDavid after faking his covid passport (not to mention his spousal assaults and rape allegations). We could go on and on...............

Honestly, Marchand lost his cool here and it was dumb, but NOBODY got hurt and it amounted to nothing. In the past Marchand has been unfairly suspended several times for just protecting himself. I get it, Bettman doesn't seem to. He's a little guy but plays big and he's low bridged a few guys but I've always seen it as self defense. He doesn't do that he gets whacked in the head and concussed and he'd be reitred right now with memory loss. But I guess that's okay for Bettman. Wrecking people's brains is fine, maybe a game or two, but Marchand? Come on, he's evil, he licked a guy. Permanent stain for Gary.

(deleted curse words here)

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
If 99% of players did this max 2 games maybe 1 and a stern warning

but Marchand’s had TWELVE hearings - 8 times suspended and 4 fines

I give him 10 and hope he gets it / he’s a smart guy, driven, charismatic, funny, a HOF player but seriously they doesn’t mean you have a free get out of suspension card

It has been a very opinionated topic the last few days but if we put this in somewhat unbiased hands, Kris Letang and other Pens teammates defended Marchand and thought the incident although stupid, wasn't even suspension worthy.

Read the article here by getting it translated directly within your browser:

Kristopher Letang prend la défense de Brad Marchand - TVA Sports

Reactions: CDJ

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
the thing that really chafes me is how the "suspension history" status is an absolute, a guy either is or isn't on the list, but the criteria for getting on it is sooooo f***ing inconsistent. PK Subban goes out and blatantly slew-foots 4 guys in the first 2 months of the season and NEVER got suspended. If they'd nailed him for a game on the first one they'd give him 2-3 for the second 4-5 for the third and 6-8 on the 4th. But because they arbitrarily decide not to nail him the first time he somehow gets away with all 4. Meanwhile the DO stick it to Brad for a slew-foot, and then that gets used against him for this bullshit.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He has shown he can play with an edge and great intensity without doing stupid stuff that gets him suspended. Able to do that most every game. Has gone for fairly long stretches without crossing the line. This latest incident is just plain bizarre. Game was essentially over and Jarry did basically nothing to him. Much worse has been done to Marchy this season without a major response from him. Dude just cannot seem to be able to control randomly snapping and going full-on moron from time to time. No excuse whatsoever for a player so important to the team and with elite skill to be pulling those kind of stunts. I absolutely love Marchy, but it's very frustrating that he acts so stupid sometimes.

I had felt that something like this was coming from Marchand for a little while. Just a cumulative build up of frustration that was going to burst out into something silly and over the most trivial of things. He got suspended for his slewfoot (fairly) while Subban merrily brings down multiple guys and multiple other illegal/dangerous plays are also not called out (very much not fair), he got rocked and injured by Hathaway with the league basically yawning in response, the Bruins have struggled on the ice and been distinctly lacking a pulse, and there they were staring down the barrel of another avoidable defeat. I think it all just got too much and Jarry then baited him at exactly the wrong moment and off Marchy went. Not trying to excuse his behavior at all - at 33 he's got to have more self-control than that - but I can see how it came to this.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
the thing that really chafes me is how the "suspension history" status is an absolute, a guy either is or isn't on the list, but the criteria for getting on it is sooooo f***ing inconsistent. PK Subban goes out and blatantly slew-foots 4 guys in the first 2 months of the season and NEVER got suspended. If they'd nailed him for a game on the first one they'd give him 2-3 for the second 4-5 for the third and 6-8 on the 4th. But because they arbitrarily decide not to nail him the first time he somehow gets away with all 4. Meanwhile the DO stick it to Brad for a slew-foot, and then that gets used against him for this bullshit.
Very well said.

In addition to the past history garbage, this whole charade of whether or not the player got injured on the play is inconsistent as well. DoPS loves to point out in some of its punishment explanation videos how a player did or didn't suffer from injury. If a player was hurt they will say the punishment is more because of the injury, and vice versa. On SOME videos. Where was the leniency on that factor with Brad? He didn't injure anyone. Not even remotely. There was clearly no intent to hurt Jarry. Hockey players know how to hurt someone if they want to. Brad didn't do that. Jarry didn't even think it was that big of a deal. Hockey punishments via DoPS do not need to reflect America's shoddy criminal justice system whereby some people (ie - poor) get ridiculously stiff sentences for nothing crimes merely based on number of past arrests. The only consistent thing about DoPS is that it is inconsistent. NHL needs to totally rework DoPS and maybe, just maybe, put someone in charge that has a fully functioning brain.

PepeBostones

Mar 3, 2002
upload_2022-2-22_15-44-59.png

Marchand has forfeited a fortune during his 8 suspensions.
A record player he is and a darn good one too:)

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Guess if he can get over the chirps from the licking thing he’ll get over the chirps from this. I think he’s about to go on a tear.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
“I now understand that I have to play within the rules that are set for me”.—Brad

So, true, Brad. And so sickening, too.

This world is increasingly ruled by fools with agendas they don’t even bother to, because they don’t have to, hide.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
“I now understand that I have to play within the rules that are set for me”.—Brad

So, true, Brad. And so sickening, too.

This world is increasingly ruled by fools with agendas they don’t even bother to, because they don’t have to, hide.

I love how he gives the NHL a middle finger even after this suspension. It’s so easy to see this suspension was more about the incidents via social media towards a couple teams in the league than it was about this play. Owners were probably pissed and Gary were probably pissed and Yes-Man Parros (who is unfit for his role due to CTE) took advantage of the situation.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There's a lot more intent in both of those plays IMO than what Mackinnon did.

Am I subconsciously cutting Mackinnon a little bit of slack because he's not a "tough guy"? Eh, I'd like to say no, but to be honest, maybe a little bit. The first play you showed by Hathaway involves WAY MORE force on the actual hit and the second is just a sneaky, cheap play when the player hasn't played the puck in about five seconds.

You are doing what the league does and it’s BS.

“We don’t think there was any malice there because he doesn’t have a history.”

Guess what, you only get a history for being suspended for stuff like that . Mackinnon elevates and follows through with his arm after he makes contact to the head. You may have the most liberal definition of “establishing position” I have ever seen and that’s not a good thing.

Wilson does that and you give him how many games?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
You are doing what the league does and it’s BS.

“We don’t think there was any malice there because he doesn’t have a history.”

Guess what, you only get a history for being suspended for stuff like that . Mackinnon elevates and follows through with his arm after he makes contact to the head. You may have the most liberal definition of “establishing position” I have ever seen and that’s not a good thing.

Wilson does that and you give him how many games?
Hey, your still around?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad