Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I absolutely love Marchand, truly elite player, but at what point do you think about trading him? He's going to be 34 in May and it feels like he's had as many embarrassing & distracting incidents in the last few years as he has had moments where he carried the team to a big playoff win. With Bergeron being a big question mark after this season and Marchand likely to be even more of a liability once Bergeron is gone doesn't it make at least a little sense to try and move him now while his value is still immense?

28 or even 30 year old Marchand I wouldn't even entertain the thought, but at nearly 34 and the team needing an overhaul it has to at least be considered.

I've always said that with Marchand, for all his indiscretions, he's earned the right for his future to be up to him. If I were GM, then if Marchy wanted to go elsewhere to chase one more Cup, I'd make that happen, because the return would be great and worthwhile if handled properly. But if wants to stay, as he probably does, and see out his career with the Bruins, then I respect that. Frankly if I were in Brad's position I'd leave, but he clearly has a very strong loyal streak, plus there are family considerations, which I think will keep him in Boston 'til the end. In that case I just couldn't justify forcing him out, even if it made business sense. I don't think that would be fair.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
If Marchand (and Bergeron) hadn't won a cup here they'd probably both want out (likely to Colorado just like Bourque) and we'd move them out for a rebuild BUT they did win a cup so I think they are both fine to retire as Bruins unless they get forced out like Chara but I doubt either overstays their welcome.

As for Bettman (expletive deleted) I'm sure the suspension would have been reduced if Brad played for his golden boys in Vegas. I would have been shocked if he reduced it.

Reactions: smithformeragent

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not at all good for the league. 2019's Cup was already extremely questionable and the product declines by the season and practically by the day. Terrific work Bettman.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
how exactly do they compare with Marchand?

how does wanting a guy to stick up for teammates compare with the Marchand antics? I love Marchands gritty game and toughness. The Jarry thing was stupid, nothing gritty or tough about it

Hathaway? Garbage. Spits on other players, takes runs, and cowers in fear. The hit on Marchand was as predatory as any of Marchand's recent suspensions.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Lazy, coward's way out here. Rather than control Parros, he endorses the atrocious work by DoPS.

Jacobs needs to act.

Do you honestly think Jacobs doesn't harbor a grudge towards Marchand for this?

I believe we as fans have forgiven him and the Boston media absolved him as well......

Reactions: BMC

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I absolutely love Marchand, truly elite player, but at what point do you think about trading him? He's going to be 34 in May and it feels like he's had as many embarrassing & distracting incidents in the last few years as he has had moments where he carried the team to a big playoff win. With Bergeron being a big question mark after this season and Marchand likely to be even more of a liability once Bergeron is gone doesn't it make at least a little sense to try and move him now while his value is still immense?

28 or even 30 year old Marchand I wouldn't even entertain the thought, but at nearly 34 and the team needing an overhaul it has to at least be considered.

Marchand controls IF, WHEN and WHERE.
I really hope he decides to leave this toxic environment.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Do you honestly think Jacobs doesn't harbor a grudge towards Marchand for this?

I believe we as fans have forgiven him and the Boston media absolved him as well......

If the old man believes that loss was all on him... The Bruins are really f***ed. The Habs will get a cup before we do. Another 39+ years before a cup surfaces in Boston.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Marchand needs to be smarter. The league has proven on many occasions they are going to punish him more harshly than other players. It is what it is.

My issue is not that Marchand should not have been suspended. He should have been. My issue is that the NHL should punish players consistently based on their actions and not their star status in the league (see Mackinnon on Patrick).

If that happened, guys like Crosby and Subban would have a similar history to Marchand’s.
Good Post!

Reactions: MPL56

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

It is a NO from me on trading Brad.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Certainly was a stupid move by Marchand but it's a 2 minute penalty, MAYBE a double minor for 99.9% of other players in the league.

1 or 2 games because of his history, fine. He needs to have a short leash. 6 games? Luckily only a few more games, but it's interesting that they decide to lay the hammer on a superstar and media personality vs. an organization with a culture of... well... with players still on their team that were a part of... well...
He’s never going to get 1-2 games again.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
These words by Bettman does not bode well

“There simply is no player who has a disciplinary history comparable to Mr. Marchand’s,” Bettman wrote.

Bettman is a f***ing goblin. This translates to:

"Mr. Marchand said mean things about some other teams/players in the league in the past few months and we took advantage of this situation to punish him for it."

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
if I’m a state trooper and I see you doing 80 on 93 North and I pull you over you have have a pristine record, have a good reason, and have Ann Murray in the 8 track you are getting a ‘drive safely slow down’ warning

On the other hand are doing 71 MPH, blasting Zeppelin 1, have a half eaten Wendy’s baconater sitting next to you and 7 speeding tickets in 12 years you are getting a ticket and I probably say you were doing 77 to get the fine higher

Folks we all love Brad as a Bruins - but the guy record deserves 10+ games for being an idiot

he’s probably cost the team 1-2 points these 4 games because he threw a tantrum

Bunch of enablers

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I think a lot of this falls on Sweeney though bc Brad is targeted by teams who are obviously trying to get under his skin and Brad has no back up to stick up for him. Pitt did its job and was probably laughing after, it was too easy. Is there any agitator or hard hitter on the Bruins teams lose sleep over, I don't think so. When Tom Wilson comes to town you sense the fear in the bruins and the fans

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Does Marchand have a history- Yes

Is what Marchand did wrong- Sure

Should the league come down harder on Marchand for suspendable plays that may result in injury- Yes

Was this a suspendable play that put a player in danger - NO

Again, Tom Wilson slams a players head into the ice- 0 games.

Agenda obvious

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It ain’t either or - the league is stacked against him. We know it, he knows it, he’s got to play cleaner here on out than any other player in the league.

Nonone else would have been suspended for the play on OEL, then that’s pinned on him as part of his history.

Meanwhile there are guys in the league who’ve injured more players on dirty hits (that were called penalties) in the last month than Brad’s hurt in the last 5 years.

Same old song what a clown show the league is.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

We all want to keep seeing Bergeron and Marchand stay Bruins, including me, but I agree there is some logic to the "sell high" strategy instead of waiting and getting nothing.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
My Saturday shit take:

how many rebuilds have we witnessed that the new team and youthful core haven’t developed a winning culture?

How many teams have had several top 5 picks and not competed seriously in the playoffs?

My rhetorical questions are merely to present a different viewpoint, if one is truly rebuilding (which I doubt they will do) but wouldn’t having Brad and Patrice around be highly beneficial to the youth we’d be developing.

the clear asterisk there is why would they stay?

also, shouldn’t Pasta, on his gem of a deal, return more than either of Brad or Patrice?

if you don’t like the take, I’m not sure I do either, no worries. Will be away w kiddos for the day but catch you later hf

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If anyone's still confused about what the suspension is about, Bettman makes it clear in his statement

"He created a distraction which reflected poorly on himself, on his team and on the League as a whole, and as such, I find he also deserves the penalty he received."

if I’m a state trooper and I see you doing 80 on 93 North and I pull you over you have have a pristine record, have a good reason, and have Ann Murray in the 8 track you are getting a ‘drive safely slow down’ warning

On the other hand are doing 71 MPH, blasting Zeppelin 1, have a half eaten Wendy’s baconater sitting next to you and 7 speeding tickets in 12 years you are getting a ticket and I probably say you were doing 77 to get the fine higher
519HBKXXMTL._SY445_.jpg

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
he should have stopped at the punch. At what point do people here realize the league is out to get him and Brad needs to stop doing stupid stuff? At what point do people put the onus on Brad instead of trying to make excuses? The point of fairness has been over for years for him, yet he still crosses the line to give them an excuse and people here still act so bewildered. It’s not changing, so commerce to banging your head against the wall

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I think a lot of this falls on Sweeney though bc Brad is targeted by teams who are obviously trying to get under his skin and Brad has no back up to stick up for him. Pitt did its job and was probably laughing after, it was too easy. Is there any agitator or hard hitter on the Bruins teams lose sleep over, I don't think so. When Tom Wilson comes to town you sense the fear in the bruins and the fans
Bruins swept Capitals last season but you are correct 90% of HF members picked Capitals and would only leave the house in pairs when Tom Wilson was in Massachusetts

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
he should have stopped at the punch. At what point do people here realize the league is out to get him and Brad needs to stop doing stupid stuff? At what point do people put the onus on Brad instead of trying to make excuses? The point of fairness has been over for years for him, yet he still crosses the line to give them an excuse and people here still act so bewildered. It’s not changing, so commerce to banging your head against the wall
It’s the laundry and the black and gold colored glasses, dude.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad