Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
These words by Bettman does not bode well

“There simply is no player who has a disciplinary history comparable to Mr. Marchand’s,” Bettman wrote.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
f***ing embarrassing for anyone to talk about this and the kyle beach situation in comparison for reaction.

the point is that it’s hypocritical for him to be talking about anybody else needing to work on ones image, especially after he continuously embarrasses the sport with instances like the one Johnston references

he’s lucky Manfred is around in sports. Only guy more inept.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
the point is that it’s hypocritical for him to be talking about anybody else needing to work on ones image, especially after he continuously embarrasses the sport with instances like the one Johnston references

he’s lucky Manfred is around in sports. Only guy more inept.

No. It's f***ing embarrassing to use as a defense. Gary is a lawyer, who's job is to protect the league. You can say it's embarrassing he won't come out and instantly close chicago, but that's living in fantasy. The league is actively in a suit over the matter.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Quincy

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
One thing that is inarguable. That it was a real danger to Jarry's safety and well-being. Could have ended his entire career.

Should have been 20.

To me the optics of the punch were terrible and inexcusable. I know it wasn't very hard but it was a cheap cowardly shot to the side of the head while Jarry wasn't watching. It was also a gut reaction based on emotion that showed a complete lack of self-control. You're right, Jarry's not getting hurt by it. But you've got kids watching this stuff, and it was very obvious. The message from the league can't be 'oh it was only soft so it's fine', which is basically saying 'hey kids if you get mad at someone you can punch them in the head too'. Uh uh. League had to make a strong statement on this - Brad gave them no choice.

Frankly by Australian standards the NHL went easy on him - you blindside punch a guy in the head in any Aussie sport and, soft punch or hard, you're getting a minimum 8 game suspension, and the general public will view you as a villain basically forever. Head is off limits, simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Certainly was a stupid move by Marchand but it's a 2 minute penalty, MAYBE a double minor for 99.9% of other players in the league.

1 or 2 games because of his history, fine. He needs to have a short leash. 6 games? Luckily only a few more games, but it's interesting that they decide to lay the hammer on a superstar and media personality vs. an organization with a culture of... well... with players still on their team that were a part of... well...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
No. It's f***ing embarrassing to use as a defense. Gary is a lawyer, who's job is to protect the league. You can say it's embarrassing he won't come out and instantly close chicago, but that's living in fantasy. The league is actively in a suit over the matter.

it’s more so completely dismissing a reporters legitimate questioning of the shitty response the hawks owner had as an emotional moment- that makes him (and thus the league) look like a jackass more than anything else. You can avoid questioning without being a patronizing jackass. You think that presents a good image of the league? Especially when they are already painting an image of a prehistoric old boys club?

So again it’s completely fair to call him out for his statements on Marchand, IMO they’re over the top and it’s very hypocritical for him to talk about others needing to clean up their image when he is a walking bumblef*** who brings constant disgrace to the game.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
These words by Bettman does not bode well

“There simply is no player who has a disciplinary history comparable to Mr. Marchand’s,” Bettman wrote.

Marchand needs to be smarter. The league has proven on many occasions they are going to punish him more harshly than other players. It is what it is.

My issue is not that Marchand should not have been suspended. He should have been. My issue is that the NHL should punish players consistently based on their actions and not their star status in the league (see Mackinnon on Patrick).

If that happened, guys like Crosby and Subban would have a similar history to Marchand’s.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Nobody to blame here but Marchand.

He is what he is

Edit:

Completely forgot about when Marchand said Panarin/the whole league was getting soft for getting worked up about what he said. Then he snaps on Jarry for something so vanilla.

Marchand looking like a huge moron and immature here regardless of on-ice skill.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I absolutely love Marchand, truly elite player, but at what point do you think about trading him? He's going to be 34 in May and it feels like he's had as many embarrassing & distracting incidents in the last few years as he has had moments where he carried the team to a big playoff win. With Bergeron being a big question mark after this season and Marchand likely to be even more of a liability once Bergeron is gone doesn't it make at least a little sense to try and move him now while his value is still immense?

28 or even 30 year old Marchand I wouldn't even entertain the thought, but at nearly 34 and the team needing an overhaul it has to at least be considered.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I absolutely love Marchand, truly elite player, but at what point do you think about trading him? He's going to be 34 in May and it feels like he's had as many embarrassing & distracting incidents in the last few years as he has had moments where he carried the team to a big playoff win. With Bergeron being a big question mark after this season and Marchand likely to be even more of a liability once Bergeron is gone doesn't it make at least a little sense to try and move him now while his value is still immense?

28 or even 30 year old Marchand I wouldn't even entertain the thought, but at nearly 34 and the team needing an overhaul it has to at least be considered.
I don’t see the point in trading Marchand unless you’re blowing the whole thing up, which I don’t think they’re doing and don’t need to do.

Reactions: CDJ and Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad