Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
His skill and composure never been higher

Super impressed with him

Brad has lived at the intersection of in control of his skill (not trying to do to much) and under control of his emotions this series

That’s leadership

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The raw emotion on Brad's face after the Coyle goal last night really pumped me up for some reason. Let me know everything is going to be ok. Marchy is relentless when he gets into his groove mentally and physically. I challenge anyone to show me a more competitive player in the NHL than Marchy (aside from Bergy).

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The raw emotion on Brad's face after the Coyle goal last night really pumped me up for some reason. Let me know everything is going to be ok. Marchy is relentless when he gets into his groove mentally and physically. I challenge anyone to show me a more competitive player in the NHL than Marchy (aside from Bergy).
Loved absolutely loved the reverse hit he threw on Cousins last night.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

SUNRISE, Fla. — Brad Marchand has run afoul of the men in stripes in multiple playoffs past, but he has taken zero penalties through three games against the Panthers.

Given some of the post-whistle stuff happening, that may seem like a bit of a surprise. But with Patrice Bergeron still missing, and David Krejci out of action, Marchand has tried to remember that he has an “A” on his sweater and a respected voice in the room.

“When everything’s on the line, and one penalty or one bad play after the whistle can cost a game or a series, it just means more,” Marchand said Saturday at the team hotel. “You’ve got to skate away from that stuff. It’s different in the regular season, where you’re not really as worried about it and it’s good to get a shot back every now and then at a guy.

“We’re best as a group when we just play. We haven’t got caught up in that stuff all year. If we can kind of stick to that now, it’s going to benefit our group. We’re best when we play between the whistles.”

No one needs a long memory to recall Marchand’s past playoff incidents. He said he has made an effort to change. It seems to be helping his game. He has two goals and one assist this series, with a team-high 12 shots on goal. And again: zero penalties.

“It is a sign of his leadership,” coach Jim Montgomery said. “I think he’s taken it upon himself, without Patrice being here, to be our mature leader, the guy that is leading us, and he’s doing a great job. I think he’s dragging people into the fight between whistles. That’s what we’ve asked.

“We’ve asked to be really hard between the whistles, and we don’t want stuff after the whistles. He’s led that way, and shown great leadership in my opinion.

”
Hey, that “A” could become a “C” someday. Or maybe he won’t get his chance.
“When they retire, I’m retiring,” Marchand joked of Bergeron and Krejci. “I can’t play without those guys.

“I honestly try not to think about that. I really do. It’s inevitable that date’s going to come. It could just as well happen that when that day comes, it might be ‘get rid of the old guys,’ and they trade me away too.

“We’ve always done such a good job of living day to day, in the moment. It’s in life in general, but in this sport for us, our careers are so short and our opportunities are so small. You don’t want to start looking ahead, you’ll just pass by the great opportunities and the moments we have now.”

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Yes, it's Saturday. Yes, I have time on my hands.

I've presented the comparison before. Those of you old enough, or steeped in NHL lore enough, may appreciate the resemblance.

The modern-day equivalent of the great Ted Lindsay

is Brad Marchand

As far as I know, Brad has never attempted to form a player's association.

Beyond that, however, the similarities are remarkable.

Marchand, like Lindsay, is not a big man. (Lindsay was 5'8", 163 pounds; Marchand is 5'9", 175 pounds.) He plays left wing and obviously shoots left. So did Ted.

Brad is a good skater though not as good as Lindsay was in his day. Marchand has more tricks but of course benefits from the much greater skill set players possess today. For his size, Marchand protects the puck extremely well, especially down low in the offensive zone,

Speaking of zones, both Lindsay and Marchand are noted for playing a complete, three zone, 200 ft. game and represent the very best of elite all around players in their respective eras. Seamless outs & puck carrying from the defensive and neutral zones; heady, creative passing and shot selection; and, especially, a willingness to go to "the dirty areas" (net front, replete with hack, whack and physical punishment on the boards to either side and behind the goaltender) and collect the garbage. They call them "greasy goals" these days.

(BTW, my eldest brother Greg used to look down on Phil Esposito for scoring many of his goals by planting his considerable backside in front of the goaltender and pouncing on or deflecting loose pucks into the net. We all did. The truth, then as now, is that most goals are scored this way. That's why they call them "greasy goals.")

Finally, most striking of all, Ted Lindsay and Brad Marchand share yet another trait.

Both exemplify the definition of dirty play. Terrible Ted was booed in every building but the Olympia. Substitute the Garden, and the same is true of Brad.

Lindsay was known for big, often illegal hits and plenty of stick work. He was also one of the great trash talkers in NHL history. Anything went, and then some. His battles with Maurice "Rocket" Richard were legendary. Lindsay would do or say God knows what to get Richard mad and therefore off his game, a tactic that paid rich dividends several times over.

Even so, as Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion affirmed, "For his size, I never saw (Lindsay) ever back down from nobody. Nobody that I can recall." He could dish it out, and he could take it.

The same is true of Marchand,

(629) Brad Marchand Feeds Lars Eller For Taunting Bench - YouTube

whose antics are many and storied:

Low bridging; slew footing (a favorite); spearing; cross checking a guy's head into the boards; stick work to the face, head, and (surprise) between the legs; slyly punching a guy in the head behind the play or after the whistle when the refs aren't looking; sharp, lethal elbows[ hilarious, obscenity laced goading of opponents; working the refs; playing all kinds of games with the other team's goalie, including, for example, placing the blade of his stick under Pittsburgh's Tristan Jarry's chin or simply punching him in the head from the blind side; speed bagging superstar Daniel Sedin on the way to winning the 2011 Stanley Cup against a supremely skilled and heavily favored Vancouver Canucks club

Brad Marchand makes Daniel Sedin nod his head to the rhythem of his fist - Bing video

(Q.: "Why did you do that?" A.: "I felt like it.")
and, you know, licking TBL's Ryan Callahan during a playoff game,

(628) Brad Marchand licks Ryan Callahan after scrum - YouTube

which, naturally, occurred after planting a kiss on Toronto's Leo Komorov in the regular season, followed by a subsequent lick in a 2018 first round series against the Leafs,

April 12th, 2018 - Marchand licks Komarov
When asked about the incident after the game, Marchand told reporters that he "just wanted to get close to" Komarov.
Via USA TODAY Sports:
"I thought he wanted to cuddle. I just wanted to get close to him. "He keeps trying to get close to me. I don't know if he's got a thing for me or what. He's cute."

The point: like Terrible Ted before him,

(628) Ted Lindsay - HHOF Induction Intro - YouTube

(628) Terrible Ted' Lindsay took on all comers for Detroit - YouTube

Brad Marchand will do anything -- anything -- to win.

(629) Brad Marchand Being a Rat for 8 Minutes - YouTube

(629) Bruins' Brad Marchand Goes After Canadiens' Rem Pitlick Following Hit On Patrice Bergeron - YouTube

Pick up @ 1:10,

(629) Artemi Panarin Throws Glove At Brad Marchand On The Bench After Trouba Scores! - YouTube

#7 will always be a hero to me, not least for his courage in attempting to throw off the shackles of Neanderthal NHL ownership who treated players like chattel. He paid for that courage, in the form of banishment to the then cellar dwelling Chicago Blackhawks, courtesy of Jack Adams, the Red Wings tyrannical General Manager.

I won't say Marchand is a hero, but I love the guy. God help me, I do.

A final parallel between the two?

Each in their own time bore the mantle of the most hated man in hockey. Proudly, it seems.

In sports, if they hate you they respect and fear you.

And secretly, every NHL fan would give their right arm to have a player like Ted Lindsay or Brad Marchand.

~ Fin ~

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Yes, it's Saturday. Yes, I have time on my hands.

I've presented the comparison before. Those of you old enough, or steeped in NHL lore enough, may appreciate the resemblance.

The modern-day equivalent of the great Ted Lindsay

is Brad Marchand

As far as I know, Brad has never attempted to form a player's association.

Beyond that, however, the similarities are remarkable.

Marchand, like Lindsay, is not a big man. (Lindsay was 5'8", 163 pounds; Marchand is 5'9", 175 pounds.) He plays left wing and obviously shoots left. So did Ted.

Brad is a good skater though not as good as Lindsay was in his day. Marchand has more tricks but of course benefits from the much greater skill set players possess today. For his size, Marchand protects the puck extremely well, especially down low in the offensive zone.

Speaking of zones, both Lindsay and Marchand are noted for playing a complete, three zone, 200 ft. game and represent the very best of elite all around players in their respective eras. Seamless outs & puck carrying from the defensive and neutral zones; heady, creative passing and shot selection; and, especially, a willingness to go to "the dirty areas" (net front, replete with hack, whack and physical punishment on the boards to either side and behind the goaltender) and collect the garbage. They call them "greasy goals" these days.

(BTW, Greg used to look down on Phil Esposito for scoring many of his goals by planting his considerable backside in front of the goaltender and pouncing on or deflecting loose pucks into the net. We all did. The truth, then as now, is that most goals are scored this way. That's why they call them "greasy goals.")

Finally, most striking of all, Ted Lindsay and Brad Marchand share yet another trait.

Both exemplify the definition of dirty play. Terrible Ted was booed in every building but the Olympia. Substitute the Garden, and the same is true of Brad.

Lindsay was known for big, often illegal hits and plenty of stick work. He was also one of the great trash talkers in NHL history. Anything went, and then some. His battles with Maurice "Rocket" Richard were legendary. Lindsay would do or say God knows what to get Richard mad and therefore off his game, a tactic that paid rich dividends several times over.

Even so, as Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion affirmed, "For his size, I never saw (Lindsay) ever back down from nobody. Not that I can recall." He could dish it out, and he could take it.

The same is true of Marchand,

(629) Brad Marchand Feeds Lars Eller For Taunting Bench - YouTube

whose antics are many and storied:

Low bridging; slew footing (a favorite); hilarious, obscenity laced goading of opponents; working the refs; playing all kinds of games with the other team's goalie, including, for example, placing the blade of his stick under Pittsburgh's Tristan Jarry's chin; speed bagging superstar Daniel Sedin on the way to winning the 2011 Stanley Cup against a supremely skilled and heavily favored Vancouver Canucks club

Brad Marchand makes Daniel Sedin nod his head to the rhythem of his fist - Bing video

(Q.: "Why did you do that?" A.: "I felt like it.")
and, you know, licking TBL's Ryan Callahan during a playoff game,

(628) Brad Marchand licks Ryan Callahan after scrum - YouTube

which, naturally, occurred after planting a kiss on Toronto's Leo Komorov in the regular season, followed by a subsequent lick in a 2018 first round series against the Leafs,

April 12th, 2018 - Marchand licks Komarov
When asked about the incident after the game, Marchand told reporters that he "just wanted to get close to" Komarov.
Via USA TODAY Sports:
"I thought he wanted to cuddle. I just wanted to get close to him. "He keeps trying to get close to me. I don't know if he's got a thing for me or what. He's cute."

The point: like Terrible Ted before him,

(628) Ted Lindsay - HHOF Induction Intro - YouTube

(628) Terrible Ted' Lindsay took on all comers for Detroit - YouTube

Brad Marchand will do anything -- anything -- to win.

(629) Brad Marchand Being a Rat for 8 Minutes - YouTube

(629) Bruins' Brad Marchand Goes After Canadiens' Rem Pitlick Following Hit On Patrice Bergeron - YouTube

Pick up @ 1:10,

(629) Artemi Panarin Throws Glove At Brad Marchand On The Bench After Trouba Scores! - YouTube

#7 will always be a hero to me, not least for his courage in attempting to throw off the shackles of Neanderthal NHL ownership that treated players like chattel. He paid for that courage, in the form of banishment to the then cellar dwelling Chicago Blackhawks, courtesy of Jack Adams, the Red Wings tyrannical General Manager.

I won't say Marchand is a hero, but I love the guy. God help me, I do.

A final parallel between the two?

Each in their own time bore the mantle of the most hated man in hockey. Proudly, it seems.

In sports, if they hate you they respect and fear you.

And secretly, every NHL fan would give their right arm to have a player like Ted Lindsay or Brad Marchand.

~ Fin ~
Only wish I could still be watching him and the bruins. :(

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Only wish I could still be watching him and the bruins. :(
Well, it's going to be an interesting off season. Take a look at Dominic Tiano's analysis of what Sweeney will likely do.

It appears that the price tag and the player's wish to return to Washington portend Orlov's departure.

Which would be too bad, if understandable relative to the cap, and the player's wishes. I certainly hope they can find a way to bring back bertuzzi and Hathaway. All three are born Bruins. Two out of three isn't bad,

✌️😔

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and TCB

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
His DNA came back 94 % loses in first two rounds

That is disturbing

Plus he doesn’t hate the Florida team

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
(BTW, my eldest brother Greg used to look down on Phil Esposito for scoring many of his goals by planting his considerable backside in front of the goaltender and pouncing on or deflecting loose pucks into the net. We all did. The truth, then as now, is that most goals are scored this way. That's why they call them "greasy goals.")
Phil himself always had the best reply to this criticism, it was basically, "yeah? And? If it's so easy why isn't everyone doing it?"

(As he leads the league in goals six years in a row).

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Phil himself always had the best reply to this criticism, it was basically, "yeah? And? If it's so easy why isn't everyone doing it?"

(As he leads the league in goals six years in a row).

Everyone used to say, he plants himself in front of the net and he's so big, you can't move him.

I love Phil.

Reactions: lextune

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Probably my favorite current Bruin.

However.

Torn between keeping him around, awarding him the C, and making him the connective tissue back to the Cup winning team.

Vs.

Dealing him while he’s still got some value to replenish the draft pick coffers.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

However.

Torn between keeping him around, awarding him the C, and making him the connective tissue back to the Cup winning team.

Vs.

Dealing him while he’s still got some value to replenish the draft pick coffers.
You would also have to take into account whether he'd be open to moving on if you were looking to move him, which I'm not sure he would be.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Well, it's going to be an interesting off season. Take a look at Dominic Tiano's analysis of what Sweeney will likely do.

It appears that the price tag and the players wish to return to Washington portend Orlov's departure.

Which would be too bad, if understandable relative to the cap, and the player's wishes. I certainly hope they can find a way to bring back bertuzzi and Hathaway. All three are born Bruins. Two out of three isn't bad,

✌️😔
Yep, I already read it. Good Stuff !

Reactions: GordonHowe

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Everyone used to say, he plants himself in front of the net and he's so big, you can't move him.

I love Phil.
I love him too.

The crazy part is he was "only" 6'1" 210. There were plenty of guys his size. But he had a center of gravity somewhere near his ankles, and an extremely deft touch.

(Sorry to derail Marchand's thread, I'll stop now, lol).

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

However.

Vs.

Keep.

Keeper.

The Bruins can get along over the next few years with Brad playing the elder statesman. Strangely enough. He is, to me, perfect captain material. And when it's his time to go, he'll go.

And by the way he has said, perhaps when Patrice goes he'll go with him. This would not surprise me. But, in the best of all worlds, at least for me, Brad stays and even if Patrice and David do not, he becomes the captain and creates that bridge between what was and what will be in terms of culture, work ethic, etc. I don't think that's a bad bargain to make. They can find money elsewhere. And as you probably know, he's taking a HomeTown discount as of this day to stay with the Boston bruins.

This stuff matters to people like Patrice and to Brad and to Z.

That is why, in my opinion, although it is unlikely, Patrice and David may stay yet another season and act as that bridge. Why? Because again, as noted elsewhere, they love the organization that they grew up in, they love this town, they love these fans. I could see them doing this.

As always, we shall see,

✌️😔

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He’s a keeper and the next captain. He needs to not be held back in his hate. If I’m the Bruins, I pay his fines. He’s at his best when he’s in the zone. As long as he doesn’t hurt any player, I’m ok with stuff most people hail Tkatchuk for. He doesn’t play well turning the other cheek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad