Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Huh? You keep saying they should have kept Cassidy. And two coaches over a 16 year period is unheard of. It doesn’t happen. Making the leap to calling this core children who are throwing tantrums is off the reservation.
They should have because he's a good coach, but I didn't say extend him. But really what I said was you shouldn't let the players dictate who the coach is. If you're Sweeney and you wanted to move on from Cassidy or Claude, do it. Don't let the players have a say, which is what they did. They gave the power to the players and that never works out well. You didn't like how the argument was going so you tried to put words in my mouth about extending him, which is not something I said. That was goal post moving bullshit.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They should have because he's a good coach, but I didn't say extend him. But really what I said was you shouldn't let the players dictate who the coach is. If you're Sweeney and you wanted to move on from Cassidy or Claude, do it. Don't let the players have a say, which is what they did. They gave the power to the players and that never works out well. You didn't like how the argument was going so you tried to put words in my mouth about extending him, which is not something I said. That was goal post moving bullshit.
Well he had one more year and it’s rare to have a lame duck coach. But sure they could have let him be a lame duck.

Where is the proof that the players whined and cried and threw a tantrum to get rid of Cassidy (or Claude for that matter)? Where is the proof that they picked what kind of coach they wanted? I’ll hang up and listen.

That's funny, How did Brind'amour do vs Cassidy when Bruce had the better team?
I don’t know what this means. Brind’Amor put Cassidy over his knee last year, and Rod isn’t exactly known as a master tactician.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Sweeney clearly didn't want to move on from him in that end of the year press conference. He then did the end of year the meetings with the players and they whined and bitched and they canned it.

"I just felt that the messaging and the voice that was going to be required, I felt that we needed a new direction."

Sweeney said that feedback from the players was factored into his decision to replace Cassidy.

"They're not driving the bus in terms of making my decisions," Sweeney said.

Reactions: LSCII

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Well he had one more year and it’s rare to have a lame duck coach. But sure they could have let him be a lame duck.

Where is the proof that the players whined and cried and threw a tantrum to get rid of Cassidy (or Claude for that matter)? Where is the proof that they picked what kind of coach they wanted? I’ll hang up and listen.

I don’t know what this means. Brind’Amor put Cassidy over his knee last year, and Rod isn’t exactly known as a master tactician.
Bruce has the better team beats Rod the Bod 4-0 in 2019

Rod the Bod has the better team, wins a one goal game in game 7 in 2022

Don't let that get your way of tripping over your Bruins loyalty. Didn't he sweep him in 2020 too? (edit, won in 5)

But ok. Rod's team was one goal better in 2022, and they prob would have won if they used swayman instead of the choker.

Reactions: Therick67

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Sweeney clearly didn't want to move on from him in that end of the year press conference. He then did the end of year the meetings with the players and they whined and bitched and they canned it.

"I just felt that the messaging and the voice that was going to be required, I felt that we needed a new direction."

Sweeney said that feedback from the players was factored into his decision to replace Cassidy.

"They're not driving the bus in terms of making my decisions," Sweeney said.

Donny can say they don't drive the bus, but that sure looks like exactly what happened..

Reactions: JOKER 192 and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

It's hilarious that you reference "stories" you heard about Cassidy and the team. I guess you missed the stuff about Claude's end of tenure here? Plenty of shit to dig into if you're so inclined. None of it makes the team or players look very good.

As for this past year, the deal for Cassidy to be back was for him to fire Kevin Dean, which he did. They implied him he'd be back, then after player interviews, he magically gets canned two weeks later. The players like Krejci and Bergeron come in this season talking about how refreshing it was, and you know what happened.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
How exactly did Brind’Amour put Cassidy over his knee last year? By barely beating him with the 2nd best record in the conference in a 7 game series? Not really a big accomplishment.
Cassidy beating him the prior two series 8 games to 1 doesn't matter I guess.

It's hilarious that you reference "stories" you heard about Cassidy and the team. I guess you missed the stuff about Claude's end of tenure here? Plenty of shit to dig into if you're so inclined. None of it makes the team or players look very good.

As for this past year, the deal for Cassidy to be back was for him to fire Kevin Dean, which he did. They implied him he'd be back, then after player interviews, he magically gets canned two weeks later. The players like Krejci and Bergeron come in this season talking about how refreshing it was, and you know what happened.
Debrusk, Carlo, Hall, Foligno and Frederic also mentioned how refreshing it was. A couple even mentioned how great it was to finally be able to play their game. (whatever that means)

Their exit interviews had nothing to do with it though.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Did you watch the series?
I did. A really mediocre Bruins squad with Charlie Coyle as its 2nd line center pushed a much better team to 7 games when it had no business doing so. Carolina was much more well rounded and proved so in the games they won, the first 3 all by 3 or more goals. It’s stunning that team won as many playoff games as this year’s team did.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I did. A really mediocre Bruins squad with Charlie Coyle as its 2nd line center pushed a much better team to 7 games when it had no business doing so. Carolina was much more well rounded and proved so in the games they won, the first 3 all by 3 or more goals. It’s stunning that team won as many playoff games as this year’s team did.
Don't forget, Coyle was only elevated to second line center after Haula got badly exposed in the playoffs for not actually being a second line center that year.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You guys should really have this conversation in a more on-topic thread, like the Hank Richard is dead one.
In fairness, Marchand is one of the core players, which is why it broke out here. Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, with a few other characters thrown in. Rotten to the core. All talented, but also very thin skinned.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
In fairness, Marchand is one of the core players, which is why it broke out here. Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, with a few other characters thrown in. Rotten to the core. All talented, but also very thin skinned.
It broke out here because you fools climbed over each other trying to advocate some troll's one liner.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
No, but given this team's success in the regular season (which I am still heartily celebrating LOFL), they should have gone on a deep run. So getting bounced in the first round was beyond embarrassing. And people saying Cassidy wouldn't have done better are lying to themselves because they don't want to admit the problem wasn't coaching, although Monty did get pantsed by Maurice in a major way. It was a rotten core.
Obviously, they should have gone on a deeper run. Maybe Cassidy would have done better, but surely that isn't the point here. People are acting like Bruce Cassidy was the magic Factor X in attaining the Stanley Cup, and they're all butt-hurt that the Bruins let him go, as if we would won the Cup if only he had not been fired. That's hardly a given. Truth is, there's simply no way of knowing either way. Would Cassidy have won 2 rounds? Maybe. Imagine! Gee, how much joy that would have brought to these pages!! Dream big!

Around these parts, I'm told it's Cup or nuthin'. Cassidy is a very good coach and he deserves every success, but if he's the magic Factor X for Cup success, why didn't he deliver it in 2019? He had six seasons to use his magic Factor X coaching powers to bring a Cup to Boston – and didn't do it.

People are looking at this like there aren't any complex factors and motivations. The conditions changed, which makes speculation rather useless. The coach that Vegas hired was not the same coach that Boston fired. And if Cassidy had remained the coach of the Bruins, he wouldn't be the same coach that lifted the Stanley Cup. Getting fired from your job, kicked out of your band, rejected by a lover, spouse leaving, etc, all these things can be very motivating in wanting to succeed at your next "gig" to "show them.". That's just ONE factor. There are countless others. Now, maybe he would have eventually won a Cup in Boston, but again, that's pretty far from given, and I don't think it's even possible to construct an honest and cogent argument that it definitely would have come to pass.

Anyway, I believe Cassidy learned from his failures, and I believe Monty will learn from his. Let's give him a few more seasons and see what he can do (albeit with a squad that will probably be less of a contender for the next few years, barring any miraculous moves by Sweeney).

...And I hope Brad Marchand will be part of that team (just to bring it back the proper subject matter).

Reactions: LSCII and Ladyfan

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I haven't kept up with this thread but there is literally 0% Brad gets traded on his team friendly contract combined with his sacrifices and talent unless he asks to go to a contender..which only happens if Bergy retires this year and even then I think the chances are slim. I for one would like to see him retire a Bruin and think he has more use to this team right now and for the next few years. Rebuild another way thank you...again unless he requests it.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
This is a Marchand thread so I’ll give my opinion on him in a second.

I commented on HF Bruins
-Canes post gamesafter the Canes playoff Cassidy was garbage on the road games - misused his defensive pairings and he allowed Rob the Bod to get every matchup he wanted

To much evidence to now say Bruce was awesome
Anyways on Marchy

He was very good in Panthers series - their defense couldn’t stay with him

If this was stratomatic or the SIM League I can see a trade

Reality - 00

Bruins will be in
Group A (top third) or Group B (middle third) but not Group C (bottom third)

If Bergeron returns they are in the top third

However, the Bruins should take a jump in 2024-25

I see them right back in the 100 point floor to 110 or above

They got a high end core and a top 5 defensive side (their 100 feet)

They will attract the one or maybe two top 6 F they need

Montgomery strength is where they are headed

In a Cap world it’s realiy two things
1. A high end skilled
Goalie
Defenseman
Scoring/winger
Center

The Bruins have 3 of them

And

2. Nine good to great players
5 F
3 D
1 G

They got all of it if Bergeron returns

They won’t be 135 but they’ll be a bitch to play against

Brad Marchand showed incredible leadership and maturity when Bergeron out

My Cabin in the Woods script

This is one final year for Bergeron & Marchand Captain next year as Bruins get right back top of heap

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Take it from someone who
A throws bombs here, there, and everywhere
B is thin-skinned

Ninety-five % of humans are thin-skinned

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Obviously, they should have gone on a deeper run. Maybe Cassidy would have done better, but surely that isn't the point here. People are acting like Bruce Cassidy was the magic Factor X in attaining the Stanley Cup, and they're all butt-hurt that the Bruins let him go, as if we would won the Cup if only he had not been fired. That's hardly a given. Truth is, there's simply no way of knowing either way. Would Cassidy have won 2 rounds? Maybe. Imagine! Gee, how much joy that would have brought to these pages!! Dream big!

Around these parts, I'm told it's Cup or nuthin'. Cassidy is a very good coach and he deserves every success, but if he's the magic Factor X for Cup success, why didn't he deliver it in 2019? He had six seasons to use his magic Factor X coaching powers to bring a Cup to Boston – and didn't do it.

People are looking at this like there aren't any complex factors and motivations. The conditions changed, which makes speculation rather useless. The coach that Vegas hired was not the same coach that Boston fired. And if Cassidy had remained the coach of the Bruins, he wouldn't be the same coach that lifted the Stanley Cup. Getting fired from your job, kicked out of your band, rejected by a lover, spouse leaving, etc, all these things can be very motivating in wanting to succeed at your next "gig" to "show them.". That's just ONE factor. There are countless others. Now, maybe he would have eventually won a Cup in Boston, but again, that's pretty far from given, and I don't think it's even possible to construct an honest and cogent argument that it definitely would have come to pass.

Anyway, I believe Cassidy learned from his failures, and I believe Monty will learn from his. Let's give him a few more seasons and see what he can do (albeit with a squad that will probably be less of a contender for the next few years, barring any miraculous moves by Sweeney).

...And I hope Brad Marchand will be part of that team (just to bring it back the proper subject matter).
I don't think people believe that Cassidy was the x factor for the Vegas cup run. What I think is most should realize by now he wasn't the reason this team didn't win a cup, despite the front office making him the scapegoat last year. I think most people are starting to realize that this core since 11 has felt entitled to either play hard or not play hard depending on the day. The reason they went to a few cup finals and lost is because they didn't care enough to do the little things needed in order to win. They were blase about it and acted like it didn't matter. Well, it mattered to the fans and the fact that they pissed away so many golden opportunities is on them.

To bring it back to the thread subject finally, I put those cup failures squarely on Marchand, Bergeron, and Krejci. This is the supposed core of the team and the leaders of said squad, and they've continually come up short when it mattered most. I guess we should all be thankful we got one cup, but I feel cheated as a fan because they were clearly good enough to have won multiple cups but didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad