Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Not sure he gets to $7m per year, I'd figure on $6.5-$6.8m.

Not sure how prevalent options are, but if there were a way to do 5 years, with a club option for a 6th, I'd go that route...just might cost more annually without that 6th yr guarantee.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Not sure how prevalent options are, but if there were a way to do 5 years, with a club option for a 6th, I'd go that route...just might cost more annually without that 6th yr guarantee.

I'd be willing to bet that the 6th year is something Brad and his camp won't forfeit.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

marchand+climbing+over+bar+drunk+drinking+partying.jpg

No club option for Marchand :sarcasm:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'd be willing to bet that the 6th year is something Brad and his camp won't forfeit.

Hell, I'd give him longer term if it means lowering his cap hit.
8 years, cap hit 6.5
Yr 1: 7
Yr 2: 7
Yr 3: 7
Yr 4: 7
Yr 5: 7
Yr 6: 7
Yr 7: 5
Yr 8: 5
Total 52 / 8 = 6.5

Marchand plays a game that shouldn't be hindered too much by aging. And he'll only be 36 at the end of it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I dont think so. It will be put to him in the 6s and it will be said in order to bring in a stud Dman to take over from Chara we need cap flexibility, whatever money that can be agreed upon around figure X would help us get towards a cup. I know hockey players aren't dumb and its their big time contract, but I don't think Marshy is the type to demand the biggest contract on the team that will disadvantage Boston from getting to a cup earlier. I can see him signing for between 6 and 6.5. I don't think he get's a 7.

Taking all that into account though, we as humans are greedy by nature, and money thrown into the fact makes people think differently. We'll see, but I am confident it will be below 7. I don't think he gets Tarasenko money.

Why not?

Marchand had only 3 less goals than Tarasenko (37 to 40) in 3 less games. Marchand's non-PP goal production was actually better (31 vs. 28).

Their goal numbers coming out of Tarasenko's break-out year which got him that big contract (2014-15), were almost identical to Marchand's goal numbers this season.

And this is with Marchand getting next to no PP time with the 1st group who most of the PP minutes.

Tarasenko may get more assists, once again partially as a result of PP time, but Marchand is the far superior defensive player.

And why would Marchand accept less to stay in Boston? Cap flexibility? Give me a break. He's been underpaid since signing his last extension at 4.5 million per. And this is his last big contract, unlike Tarasenko who probably has one more in him.

I'll use another comparable. Stamkos, who just got 8.5 per.

Marchand had more goals in the same amount (77) of games (37 vs. 36) and destroys Stamkos in non-PP goals by a 31 to 22 score. Now Stamkos, like Benn, has a more proven track record of high end production, so I'm not advocating for Marchand to get 8.0 or 8.5, but you can make the comparison.

He outscored Corey Perry last year whose bringing 8.625 million per.

Mr. 7.25 million himself Krejci only has 6 more goals in the past 3 seasons (43) than Marchand did all of last year (37). Yes he's been injured, but still those totals are pretty drastic.

I'd gladly give Marchand 7 years / 50 million (7.14 AAV) in a heart-beat. Anyone who thinks Marchand is going to get less than 7 AAV in today's marketplace needs to give their head a shake.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006

If you are worried about Brad for 6.5 a yr, then Krejch @ 7.25 must make you throw up in your mouth.
Other than his irresponsible penalties , he has been after the Count, the most important B player since Boutique.
Duffy in Mineville.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
If you are worried about Brad for 6.5 a yr, then Krejch @ 7.25 must make you throw up in your mouth.
Other than his irresponsible penalties , he has been after the Count, the most important B player since Boutique.
Duffy in Mineville.

Damn spell check.
Boutique should read Bourque!
Duffy in Mineville.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why not?

Marchand had only 3 less goals than Tarasenko (37 to 40) in 3 less games. Marchand's non-PP goal production was actually better (31 vs. 28).

Their goal numbers coming out of Tarasenko's break-out year which got him that big contract (2014-15), were almost identical to Marchand's goal numbers this season.

And this is with Marchand getting next to no PP time with the 1st group who most of the PP minutes.

Tarasenko may get more assists, once again partially as a result of PP time, but Marchand is the far superior defensive player.

And why would Marchand accept less to stay in Boston? Cap flexibility? Give me a break. He's been underpaid since signing his last extension at 4.5 million per. And this is his last big contract, unlike Tarasenko who probably has one more in him.

I'll use another comparable. Stamkos, who just got 8.5 per.

Marchand had more goals in the same amount (77) of games (37 vs. 36) and destroys Stamkos in non-PP goals by a 31 to 22 score. Now Stamkos, like Benn, has a more proven track record of high end production, so I'm not advocating for Marchand to get 8.0 or 8.5, but you can make the comparison.

He outscored Corey Perry last year whose bringing 8.625 million per.

Mr. 7.25 million himself Krejci only has 6 more goals in the past 3 seasons (43) than Marchand did all of last year (37). Yes he's been injured, but still those totals are pretty drastic.

I'd gladly give Marchand 7 years / 50 million (7.14 AAV) in a heart-beat. Anyone who thinks Marchand is going to get less than 7 AAV in today's marketplace needs to give their head a shake.

Tarasenko is a bad comparison. He is the same age as Marchand was back in 2011. The Blues are paying him for future production and he already has a 30 and 40 goal season. Marchand has ONE 30 goal season. Really, all these are bad comparisons for either reason you stated, or reasons you know.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Duffy in Mineville.

This actually worries me quite a bit.

At this point he can barely sneeze without getting suspended......

And drowning everyone in the first 3 rows.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Tarasenko is a bad comparison. He is the same age as Marchand was back in 2011. The Blues are paying him for future production and he already has a 30 and 40 goal season. Marchand has ONE 30 goal season. Really, all these are bad comparisons for either reason you stated, or reasons you know.

Well I used Tarasenko as the previous poster said Marchand wouldn't get Tarasenko money.

But I don't think the comparison is that far off. Tarasenko got paid after one big season (35+ goals). If anything as it's his 2nd contract and Marchand is going on his 4th, you could argue Marchand should command more, as he's been underpaid for quite a few of his prime years and this is his last big payday. He's already taken the hit in his earnings for the betterment of the team in his 2nd and 3rd deals, of all the good it did him.Tarasenko will get one more big contract if he projects out as a consistent 30-40 goal man.

Perry was the same age as Marchand when he got his extension. He had a huge year in 2011, a good 2012 and a average 2013 with 15 goals in a 44 game lock-out shortened season. Yet he still got 8.625 with a cap of about 64 million. So you have to take that into account, much lower cap, different marketplace. 8.625 in 2013 is Jamie Benn money today. Granted both him and Benn have individual accolades to hang their hats on.

People say he shouldn't make more than Bergeron. Well do you think you get Bergeron to sign that deal today with a 73 million dollar cap? It was 64 million when he signed his current deal. Bergeron in today's dollars is an 8.0 AAV player easily.

But honestly, to find a apples-to-apples comparison to Marchand is tough. Having his best season at age 28, having so little PP time for a top goal scorer, having so much production come 5 on 5 and on the PK, he's a bit of an anomaly.

But if you take bits and pieces of a lot of other players contracts (Benn, Tarasenko, Perry, Krejci, Bergeron, Stamkos, just to name a few) and anything south of 7.0 AAV on a Marchand extension here in a 2016 marketplace is sheer lunacy.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
The cap hit for this contract worries me. Can Brad be a consistent 30 goal guy or was last year an anomaly?

Don Cherry*

I think Bergy would be pissed. No way it wouldn't bother him. He would not say that to the public but IMO he would NOT be happy.

A bunch of them were pissed about Looch.
I'd still like to know who was pissed about Looch and what they had to say. :popcorn:

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Link is broken for me, what is making you nervous?

Just the
"We’ve identified March as a core guy and we want to continue down that path,†said Sweeney. “It takes two sides to make a deal and I would envision that he’d like to be a part of this organization for what could be, arguably, his whole career. But Brad has a say in this as well."

"It may mean nothing, but the “it takes two sides†comment is eerily reminiscent of what Sweeney said about the Dougie Hamilton"

The second part I assume is Steve Conroy reading into it.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I think the Sweeney comment (takes two sides) is just management speak, and it's totally appropriate.

In essence...we want him...he's gotta want us too. Reading between the lines, it says we'll pay him to well to be a Bruin, but he's gotta be realistic. That's not to say the FO expects him to take a home town discount, but certainly they're not going to pay whatever Marchand wants.

If March were to shoot for the absolute biggest contract he can possibly get, then buh-bye.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think the Sweeney comment (takes two sides) is just management speak, and it's totally appropriate.

In essence...we want him...he's gotta want us too. Reading between the lines, it says we'll pay him to well to be a Bruin, but he's gotta be realistic. That's not to say the FO expects him to take a home town discount, but certainly they're not going to pay whatever Marchand wants.

If March were to shoot for the absolute biggest contract he can possibly get, then buh-bye.

Harry, is that you?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How Jamie Benn's deal affects Tavares, Marchand

Benn’s AAV put him into a tie for fifth in the league alongside Evgeni Malkin, and about $38,000 a year behind Alex Ovechkin. Ovechkin is perhaps a fitting comparison here, because he and Benn are probably the two best left wings alive. Only Taylor Hall ($6 million AAV for another four seasons, what a bargain) and Brad Marchand (UFA after next season) are even in the conversation at that position.

But the new Benn contract is noteworthy given that a number of high-profile, high-quality, young-ish players are up for extensions in the next two summers, and they’re very likely to cash in. That Marchand deal obviously isn’t going to approach Benn’s in terms of AAV simply because Marchand doesn’t have the counting stats, but it should still be extremely rich.

The good news for the Bruins — they’re already negotiating on that extension, as they consider him a “core guy,†which they should — is that they might be able to argue Marchand shouldn’t get a contract richer than Patrice Bergeron, who is seen as integral to Marchand’s quality, or at least David Krejci, who is inexplicably better-paid than Bergeron. Marchand will be coming into UFA status at 29, and he’s a little more than a year older than Benn. Perhaps that comes into play in terms of the Benn contract’s term.

But it absolutely should not in terms of AAV, because Marchand is nearly as good as Benn. By any rational standard, he should be at least an $8.5 million player if Benn is a $9.5 million guy, you can’t really argue Marchand isn’t a comparable.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/wh...-deal-affects-tavares-marchand-134338627.html

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think if Marchand feels he's in the 8 plus million club we should wish him good luck elsewhere. One career year of 37 goals which is 10 goals above his average shouldn't justify that kind of a raise IMHO.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I think if Marchand feels he's in the 8 plus million club we should wish him good luck elsewhere. One career year of 37 goals which is 10 goals above his average shouldn't justify that kind of a raise IMHO.

You have 29 new messages.

Beep: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Paying Brad anything over Bergeron is a huge mistake. Sweeney better be careful on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad