Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
Im-so-happy-I-fell-over_o_40386.jpg

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Love love love. Love him, love his willingness to take less $ to stay, love the B's willingness to extend the years out in compromise, love that it's Bergy and Marchy for the foreseeable future.

props to management and Marchand, he gave a real hometown discount here, has been really fair in his deals throughout his career.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Bruins protected themselves with pretty good flexibility last 3 years.
His drop off in salary could also be appealing to budget teams by then.

NMC from 2017-18 until 2021-22. Modified NTC for final 3 years of contract (6 team trade list in 2022-23, 15 team no-trade list in 2023-24, 8 team no-trade list in 2024-25).

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/239

http://www.generalfanager.com/contracts/comparables?contract=5252

I like the way this was constructed.

If you look at the other wingers on that list of comparables, outside of Landeskog who was a completely different situation, Marchand's contract looks amazing. Could be one of the best values in the entire league in short order.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
After having a really crumby week last week... this has turned things around. Great deal for both parties. Brad definitely showed the fans he cares.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Marchand's cap hit is lower than Kessels even with the 1.2 million retained by Toronto :laugh:

I actually like Phil a lot, but believe Marchand is objectively better at this point and yet is making less.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Not too worried about that. Seems like the type of guy that hates to lose.

I'm glad they got this done and I think the best is still ahead for Marchand, but not long ago he was getting killed for only having 5 goals in his last 41 playoff games.

This place is a bit bipolar.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
I gave Sweeney and the front office a lot of crap at the start of the FA signing period (and deservedly so, IMO... I still don't see this team making the playoffs with the current D), but I have to give credit where it's due.

This is a brilliant deal. Kudos to both Sweeney/the front office and Brad Marchand for getting it done, and at these numbers.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I knew his AAV would be less than Bergeron's:nod: That was a factor here no doubt, both for management and for Marchy.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Getting this done was the most important thing on Sweeney's to do list and everybody seems happy with the terms.

Brad's performance for Team Canada has raised eyebrows around the NHL at how could he can be. This is a good day.

I disagree. The most important thing on Sweeney's to do list is to fix that damn defense. Re-signing Marchand was important but not as important as that.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Whatever

so, it seems like everyone but Betsy loves this deal.

There is no question that financially this contract is great for the Bruins so I'm happy about that.

As for Marchand I don't care if he does wear a spoked B, I've never liked pests/agitators & their bush league bull bleep and I'm not going to start now.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Bergeron + Marchand signed at roughly $13m/year combined long term is awesome. Compare that to Toews/Kane at $21M.

Could this resonate around the league as far as contracts go? GMs will say, "Look at that 37/63 tandem. Think you're worth more than that?" That's a lot of difference in the money side. Amazing that this was done at that cap hit.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
There is no question that financially this contract is great for the Bruins so I'm happy about that.

As for Marchand I don't care if he does wear a spoked B, I've never liked pests/agitators & their bush league bull bleep and I'm not going to start now.

Hey, I can respect your opinion. I know your not a fan.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I disagree. The most important thing on Sweeney's to do list is to fix that damn defense. Re-signing Marchand was important but not as important as that.

The D is fixed...long term.

Sweeney needs a couple of young D (ROG, Chiller, Morrow, Carlo) to step up, or some older ones to play over their heads (Chara, Killer) and bridge the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad