Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I worked as a Seer in Salem. I usually only use my powers for picking football games (although I did take Steelers yesterday)

A couple of friends told me but I actually figured it would be when he got back they'd announce it

:laugh:

Got it.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Well I freely admit I was wrong at what it would take to get Marchand signed. Thought it would be no less than 7 per. I even called 6.25 an insult.

This is a absolute steal of a deal for Boston. I'm shocked and amazed.

Game-breaking winger (is there any question he's a game-breaker after that semi-final win by Canada), who can pop 30-40, play a terrific two-way game, kills penalties, and most of all, comes to play every single night.

The best move Sweeney has made thus far as GM, bar none.

This. Donny needed a win, he got one here.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
what a great deal. With the way Marchand looked in the World Cup I was getting worried that he was going to break the bank. Sweeney knocked this out of the park.

sportsvg

Dec 24, 2014
Ontario
I'll take 8 x 6.125 over 7 X 7 any day of the week - gotta admit I figured it would be 7 x 7.5, great value by Don.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
You guys think Marchand signs this deal if Sweeney gives up last year while firmly entrenched in the play-offs and deals Eriksson for two 2nd's?

Loyalty is a two way street, and I think Sweeney and Marchand have both shown that lately.

Great point. I think these players respect Sweeney & him showing confidence in them & not selling at the dead line was a good look.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I wouldn't call it a steal...if it's a steal then Marchand got hosed. But we know he didn't.

It's a fair deal for both sides is what it is. Marchand gets term. Bruins get a lower annual hit than they might have if the deal only went 6 years.

For those saying the Bruins can't keep guys, or that Boston has become an undesirable place to play? Eat it.

Now, in year 7 when Marchand is 35, will some be lamenting the term? Probably, but you can't have it both ways.

Good deal. Happy to have him in the mix.

Hey...maybe instead of him going to Pitt to play with Syd the Kid...Syd will someday come here?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
It's a dsicount, but it's not insulting. It's 50 million bucks and an 8 year commitment. That's not an insult at all, which was I was getting at. I would have easily paid him 7M no question about it, but to some players the years are worth more.

maybe bruindust is really allan walsh.

good job, sweens. marchy a bruin for life.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Wow.

Props to Sweeney here. That is a great looking contract.

Marchand definitely doesn't look like a player who had a fluke year last season. Seems like he just keeps getting better.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
This is a great deal for both sides, but it's a major win for Sweeney and the Bruins. If he got to UFA, it wouldn't have shocked me at all to see someone throw 7 years/56 mil at him.

Bruins get a core piece under contract for a great cap hit, Marchand gets the security of taking a little less for term. Total win for both sides. As a fan, I'm ecstatic.

Great job Don.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I wouldn't call it a steal...if it's a steal then Marchand got hosed. But we know he didn't.

It's a fair deal for both sides is what it is. Marchand gets term. Bruins get a lower annual hit than they might have if the deal only went 6 years.

For those saying the Bruins can't keep guys, or that Boston has become an undesirable place to play? Eat it.

Now, in year 7 when Marchand is 35, will some be lamenting the term? Probably, but you can't have it both ways.

Good deal. Happy to have him in the mix.

Hey...maybe instead of him going to Pitt to play with Syd the Kid...Syd will someday come here?

Krecji and Mueller for Sid, book it:naughty:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Bruins took care of their biggest priority today as they reached agreement with Brad Marchand on an eight-year contract extension, according to several reports.

Marchand has consistently said that he wants to finish out his career with the Bruins, who drafted and developed him and with whom he turned into an elite player in the last couple of years. He’s clearly taking a hometown discount to stick with Boston.

Well, the time came and Marchand put his money where his sometimes big mouth usually is. The Bruins agitator easily could have demanded a yearly salary of $7 million-plus in free agency.

Credit to Don Sweeney and Neely for closing the deal with Marchand, and ticking one very important thing off their checklist that will help make the Bruins great again.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/...ht-year-contract-extension-with-boston-bruins

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Mildly worried about term, but great AAV. Well don Sweejus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad