Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I hope Marchand is re-signed but I bet people here will turn on him if signs a 7x7 and scores 25 goals and puts up 55 points. That's a pretty high price now, never mind years 5, 6, and 7.

Marchand is a great hockey player but with the exception of last year he has never been a top 5 LW in the game, which is what he will be at 7m in '17-18(so far). Along with turning 30 that season.

Sweeney is in a tough spot here.

I wouldn't put him in the "great" category. More like "good". Having said that I'd trade him for the right return.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I wouldn't put him in the "great" category. More like "good". Having said that I'd trade him for the right return.

I know we tend to 'overvalue' our own players; however how can you say he's a good player?

He made Team Canada, is probably one of the better 2 way players in the game and is a pain in the arse for opposing players.

Last edited:

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

I would. He isn't elite, but he is a great player. Excellent hands and great at puck protection, fast and shifty, with a very quick release and an accurate shot. Awesome PKer who I guess will ultimately get time on the PP.

I wouldn't trade him. Not now. His presence on the roster makes the team better and his skill set would be difficult to replace. He is a Bruin; he was made to be a Bruin. He's a solid member of the core of this team.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
If you told me the day after the season ended that Marchand still wouldn't be extended by August 22nd I wouldn't have believed you.

And I would have said that worried me.

Now? Yeah, worried.

On the other hand, one could argue that Marchand is the best way for Boston to nab a top defenseman. In addition, the organization has a lot of great LW prospects.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
On the other hand, one could argue that Marchand is the best way for Boston to nab a top defenseman. In addition, the organization has a lot of great LW prospects.

They already lost Loui. Lose Marchand and now you have 65-70 goals/yr out the door. And, likely, a pissed off Bergy.

No thanks.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I don't think they have a single great LW prospect, but they have a handful of good ones, and hopefully one of them exceeds expectations.

I also think Marchand is the rare player on this board that we underrate. He is a possession monster with Bergeron, and those two are secretly one of the best lines in the NHL (so good they can carry a guy like Connolly for months).

My specific worry is that the closer we get to Opening Night the more likely it is he says, "**** it. I'm this close to FA, might as well see what is out there cause I got nothing to lose."

If they insist on an internal Bergeron cap for his contract I think he leaves. And I think you are losing one of your core, best players. I also don't trust them to get enough in return. Why would I trust this organization to do that at this point?

Even the Looch deal ended up not being as great as we'd hope (I gave the total package an A+ so I'm not absolving myself here), since Jones turned out to be the real deal and helped make the pick be a lot worse than we thought it might be.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

How much value does a Marchand with one-year left on his deal do you think he has?

Your not getting anything close to a top D-man for 1 year of Marchand. And why would Marchand sign an extension with a new team without seeing what it's like to play for that team/in that city unless it's an extreme over-payment on his new deal.

Boston should not be moving it's only established goal-scoring winger for a 2nd pair D-man, which by himself is about where his trade value is for established NHL players with one-year left on his deal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think they have a single great LW prospect, but they have a handful of good ones, and hopefully one of them exceeds expectations.

I also think Marchand is the rare player on this board that we underrate. He is a possession monster with Bergeron, and those two are secretly one of the best lines in the NHL (so good they can carry a guy like Connolly for months).

My specific worry is that the closer we get to Opening Night the more likely it is he says, "**** it. I'm this close to FA, might as well see what is out there cause I got nothing to lose."

If they insist on an internal Bergeron cap for his contract I think he leaves. And I think you are losing one of your core, best players. I also don't trust them to get enough in return. Why would I trust this organization to do that at this point?

Even the Looch deal ended up not being as great as we'd hope (I gave the total package an A+ so I'm not absolving myself here), since Jones turned out to be the real deal and helped make the pick be a lot worse than we thought it might be.

The Lucic deal could easily end up being a whole lot of nothing. There isn't a sure-fire guy in a the bunch.

If I'm Marchand and Sweeney insists on paying him less than Bergeron on a deal signed with a 64 million cap, and less than Krejci despite Marchand massively eclipsing Krejci's goal production even without a lot of PP time, I'd tell Sweeney to go kick rocks.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I might suggest that one reason why Marchand hasn't been extended might be the need to include a NMC, and the fact they might feel like they need him for trade fodder in search for a defenseman.

Obviously I'm just speculating, but they need a dman that is as effective on D as Marchand is up front, and probably more. So it makes sense teams might ask for Marchand. We can argue all day long about whether the Bruins should make such a move or not, but it makes sense to me as a rationale for why he doesn't have an extension yet.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
Maybe this can be cleared up for me...next summer we have the expansion draft. Would a realistic (albeit absolutely risky) move be to wait until after that draft to sign his extension? That way we have one more protection slot open, since UFA's to be are exempt from the draft. Parties could meet, agree to a contract, then wait to sign it.

Something to be considered? Maybe re-signed UFA's are exempt from needing protection?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If Anaheim was insisting on Marchand as part of a package for Lindholm, and Boston felt they could sign Hudler to replace some of Marchand's offense, is that an option folks would consider?

I'll say this much...I love Marchand. It would be very painful to lose him. But if both he and Lindholm were UFA's and we could sign one, it's Lindholm all day for me. They both fill huge needs on this team, but Lindholm fills a bigger hole.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
This team was borderline unwatchable for a significant portion of last season. Take away Marchand? I'd rather watch a marathon of Lifetime Original Movies.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Marchand has to get done or it's a huge fail for Sweeney. If we take Marchand out of the equation it may as well be a total tear down re-build.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
The only way I would trade Marchand is if one of the kids shows that they can step right in and provide his offense and defensive play. His grit and nastiness would be missed, but his production and defensive play would be my main concern if Sweeney traded Marchand.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My question is, was that 37 goal season a career peak or the beginning of a 2-3 year trend? Prior to last season he'd never scored more than 28.

I don't know. I'd hate to see the team pay him what a consistent near 40 goal scorer makes only to see him revert to 25-28 goals a season. It's too bad he didn't have one more year on his present deal, then we could know if last season was his peak for goal scoring or if he can do it consistently.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Maybe this can be cleared up for me...next summer we have the expansion draft. Would a realistic (albeit absolutely risky) move be to wait until after that draft to sign his extension? That way we have one more protection slot open, since UFA's to be are exempt from the draft. Parties could meet, agree to a contract, then wait to sign it.

Something to be considered? Maybe re-signed UFA's are exempt from needing protection?

As far as I know, UFA's are not exempt?

The way I read it, you are not required to protect them, but if you don't, they are fair game for Vegas?

I don't think we need to worry about it. Don't think Marchand is going anywhere. They drafted him, gave him an opportunity, paid him well on his 2nd deal, and he gets to play with the best 2 way C in the game.

I think he's a lifer.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
My question is, was that 37 goal season a career peak or the beginning of a 2-3 year trend? Prior to last season he'd never scored more than 28.

I don't know. I'd hate to see the team pay him what a consistent near 40 goal scorer makes only to see him revert to 25-28 goals a season. It's too bad he didn't have one more year on his present deal, then we could know if last season was his peak for goal scoring or if he can do it consistently.

I'm hoping they find some common ground on that, while 7M may seem high he's still a pretty consistent pt producer. I'd like to him more in the range of 6.5 and tack on a 7th year or something with a NTC or NMC in there. i'd hate to be saddled with something as high as rick nash... marchy is still a couple years younger so it's not do or die... you also look at lucic, okposo, ladd, eriksson deals as some comparables... all in the 6M range with term and security.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
As far as I know, UFA's are not exempt?

The way I read it, you are not required to protect them, but if you don't, they are fair game for Vegas?

I don't think we need to worry about it. Don't think Marchand is going anywhere. They drafted him, gave him an opportunity, paid him well on his 2nd deal, and he gets to play with the best 2 way C in the game.

I think he's a lifer.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

according to NHL.com

so they could in theory grab a player set to become a UFA but would have to be confident they would sign a new deal with them otherwise they become UFA on July 1st is how i read into that.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

according to NHL.com

so they could in theory grab a player set to become a UFA but would have to be confident they would sign a new deal with them otherwise they become UFA on July 1st is how i read into that.

You know how this works.

Marchand would not be a UFA intil July 1st, but if Vegas took him, I'm guessing it would be knowing he would sign.

It's never going to happen anyway.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
They better not trade Marchand. He's the only guy who delivers an ounce of excitement and creativity to the Bruins.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I would. He isn't elite, but he is a great player. Excellent hands and great at puck protection, fast and shifty, with a very quick release and an accurate shot. Awesome PKer who I guess will ultimately get time on the PP.

I wouldn't trade him. Not now. His presence on the roster makes the team better and his skill set would be difficult to replace. He is a Bruin; he was made to be a Bruin. He's a solid member of the core of this team.

Me too great player. Scores most of his goals on 5 on 5 playing against the other teams top lines. What more do you need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad