Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
I'm going eve of training camp and he comes out with a big grin and a new contract at the Town Hall Meeting. Start the season with big news and go from there that is how I would do it.

More importantly they better have hot dogs this year that was disgraceful last year

I was so upset about that. I didn't eat much that day in anticipation of the free hot dogs. I was left with stale popcorn -_-

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'm still kind of fuzzy on the expansion draft, but if he's a UFA, we don't have to protect him, correct? Is it possible that they've already (or are nearing) an agreement, but they won't sign until after the expansion draft so we can protect an extra player? Looking for a yes/no answer for this one, I doubt they'd chance it with a player like Marchand, I just want to know if it's possible if anyone knows.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm still kind of fuzzy on the expansion draft, but if he's a UFA, we don't have to protect him, correct? Is it possible that they've already (or are nearing) an agreement, but they won't sign until after the expansion draft so we can protect an extra player? Looking for a yes/no answer for this one, I doubt they'd chance it with a player like Marchand, I just want to know if it's possible if anyone knows.

I can't confirm but there was speculation the Michael Stone 1-year extension in Arizona was done so they could protect OEL, Goligoski, and Murphy and simply re-sign Stone to a long-term deal once the expansion draft was over.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH

I think they'd trade him before losing him for nothing.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Once news breaks that Team A is talking extension with Player B, fans expect the contract to be done overnight. It just doesn't happen that way and Brad Marchand's may be more complicated than we think.

It is said that they "agree on the value of the contract". But it gets complicated in just how you spread that value around.

First and foremost on the minds of the Bruins (not Marchand's because he'll get paid anyway) contracts can only be insured for the first 5 years (which is why the NHL was pushing for 5 year limits on contracts during the CBA discussions. And the more Marchand makes, the higher the premiums are for his teammates because insurance premiums are based on the top 5 salaries of the team. Insurance outside the league policy that individual teams can purchase on their own can cost as much as 40% of the players salary.

Secondly, Marchand will want most of his $$ up front. We'll call it "lockout protection" because everyone else does, with a signing bonus in the range of $2-$3 million payable in 2020 - the first year there could be a lockout.

So even if they agree the deal should be worth $49 million, how they break it down to reach that $49 million with everyone looking out for their best interests is what the stumbling block always comes back to.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Once news breaks that Team A is talking extension with Player B, fans expect the contract to be done overnight. It just doesn't happen that way and Brad Marchand's may be more complicated than we think.

It is said that they "agree on the value of the contract". But it gets complicated in just how you spread that value around.

First and foremost on the minds of the Bruins (not Marchand's because he'll get paid anyway) contracts can only be insured for the first 5 years (which is why the NHL was pushing for 5 year limits on contracts during the CBA discussions. And the more Marchand makes, the higher the premiums are for his teammates because insurance premiums are based on the top 5 salaries of the team. Insurance outside the league policy that individual teams can purchase on their own can cost as much as 40% of the players salary.

Secondly, Marchand will want most of his $$ up front. We'll call it "lockout protection" because everyone else does, with a signing bonus in the range of $2-$3 million payable in 2020 - the first year there could be a lockout.

So even if they agree the deal should be worth $49 million, how they break it down to reach that $49 million with everyone looking out for their best interests is what the stumbling block always comes back to.

That is already something very positive, I would say.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I think they'd trade him before losing him for nothing.

I mean that they agree on a deal, the expansion draft takes place before free agency, then they officially sign him right after the expansion draft. He isn't exposed to the draft, is a FA, and they can protect another player as he does not have to be protected.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I mean that they agree on a deal, the expansion draft takes place before free agency, then they officially sign him right after the expansion draft. He isn't exposed to the draft, is a FA, and they can protect another player as he does not have to be protected.

He's still exposed in the draft. He doesn't become a free agent until July 1. Whether Vegas would take a chance on using one of their picks on him is another question. They could theoretically draft him, offer an 8 year contract and all sorts of perks like the captaincy, a full NMC...all sorts of little perks.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He's still exposed in the draft. He doesn't become a free agent until July 1. Whether Vegas would take a chance on using one of their picks on him is another question. They could theoretically draft him, offer an 8 year contract and all sorts of perks like the captaincy, a full NMC...all sorts of little perks.

Gotcha, didn't know how his eligibility worked. Seemed way too easy. Thanks :)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Our boy Marchy getting some mid-summer work in with Sid the Kid.

#63 looks in mid-season form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evUfd1NNxSk

Crosby and Mackinnon at the restaurant last week after a workout, sat quietly at the bar, drank loads of water and had some nice seafood dishes. No Marchand, clearly not invited:laugh:

Having now seen Crosby up close 2 times in the last few weeks, it`s stunning to see the tree trunks for legs on him and Mackinnon is a brick house

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Crosby and Mackinnon at the restaurant last week after a workout, sat quietly at the bar, drank loads of water and had some nice seafood dishes. No Marchand, clearly not invited:laugh:

Having now seen Crosby up close 2 times in the last few weeks, it`s stunning to see the tree trunks for legs on him and Mackinnon is a brick house

I'd say Marchy was invited but he told those two losers to get lost. ;)

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Interesting off-season conversation fodder.

Snapshots: Hunter, Marchand, Karnaukhov
Marchand is as tough in the corners as he is tough to slow down on offense, and fits the culture of Boston and the Bruins perfectly. So what will it cost to make sure he sticks around throughout the prime of his career? Pro Hockey Talk believes that Marchand’s initial ask was a seven-year, $49MM extension, which carries a cap hit of $7MM. However, they also counter that such a deal would make him paid higher than career line mate and Bruins legend Patrice Bergeron. This begs the question: will GM Don Sweeney really pay Marchand more than a guy considered to be one of the most complete players in the NHL and who will more than likely have his name in the rafters of the TD Garden when all is said and done? The answer is easy – yes.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Interesting off-season conversation fodder.

Snapshots: Hunter, Marchand, Karnaukhov

As has been discussed to death, we're three years removed now from the Bergy deal. You cannot compare their contracts head to head due to the changes in the market and the increase in the cap in that time. Plenty of guys who are not as good as Bergy are now signing deals comparable to or above his. It's the nature of the beast.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
As has been discussed to death, we're three years removed now from the Bergy deal. You cannot compare their contracts head to head due to the changes in the market and the increase in the cap in that time. Plenty of guys who are not as good as Bergy are now signing deals comparable to or above his. It's the nature of the beast.

Which is why it is deemed the easy answer, I'm guessing.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If you told me the day after the season ended that Marchand still wouldn't be extended by August 22nd I wouldn't have believed you.

And I would have said that worried me.

Now? Yeah, worried.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
If you told me the day after the season ended that Marchand still wouldn't be extended by August 22nd I wouldn't have believed you.

Now? Yeah, worried.

I hate that the B's management is leaving Brad hanging. It makes no sense to not get this done.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

Now? Yeah, worried.

Agreed that I thought it'd be done by now but I'm not overly worried. The fact that he was heavily involved in recruiting Backes (just him and Bergy on the player side) and he was one of the few guys involved in the Vesey process leads me to believe everything is hunky dory and it's only a matter of time. Hopefully we don't have to wonder much longer and they iron out a deal

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I hope Marchand is re-signed but I bet people here will turn on him if signs a 7x7 and scores 25 goals and puts up 55 points. That's a pretty high price now, never mind years 5, 6, and 7.

Marchand is a great hockey player but with the exception of last year he has never been a top 5 LW in the game, which is what he will be at 7m in '17-18(so far). Along with turning 30 that season.

Sweeney is in a tough spot here.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I hope Marchand is re-signed but I bet people here will turn on him if signs a 7x7 and scores 25 goals and puts up 55 points. That's a pretty high price now, never mind years 5, 6, and 7.

Marchand is a great hockey player but with the exception of last year he has never been a top 5 LW in the game, which is what he will be at 7m in '17-18(so far). Along with turning 30 that season.

Sweeney is in a tough spot here.

As long as you don't go all out on your NMC/NTC:ing, and structure it right, there are likely to be teams that could buy him for the last couple of years, I suppose. Not sure what Brad would ask for, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad