Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Cole was still nearly a PPG player in the tournament, additionally he also had a pretty good track record producing against his peer group. That is not comparable to Lambert who apparently has been benched twice in 3 games against mediocre opponents and has already landed himself into the coach's doghouse. Maybe the coach is a dumbass but still Lambert must have made quite an impression for the coach to be so against him so fast.

I am not calling him a bust or anything, just saying this tournament has been pretty disappointing for those us hoping to see him perform well against guys closer to his age group.

I agree. At this point I'd like to see him in the WHL as well unless he absolutely wows at the moose training camp.
Yes, I don’t blame the coach for benching him. He was really that bad today. The Finish team play very disciplined and Lambert seemed like the only one blindly sending passes this way and that, often resulting in turnovers.
I want him to succeed as much as everyone else here, but his play today earned him his spot on the bench.
We’re just not used to seeing accountability in action here in Winnipeg. :laugh:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Yes, I don’t blame the coach for benching him. He was really that bad today. The Finish team play very disciplined and Lambert seemed like the only one blindly sending passes this way and that, often resulting in turnovers.
I want him to succeed as much as everyone else here, but his play today earned him his spot on the bench.
We’re just not used to seeing accountability in action here in Winnipeg. :laugh:
That was the mo on him and hopefully that can be fixed. You can't really teach IQ but you can teach what to do in certain situations.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
To be fair I don't think most here have been expecting a superstar (emphasis on most). I think he can be an effective 2nd line winger if he applies himself to his development. At 30th overall that would be great value for the draft position.
That would definitely be great, and I can also say that I’m definitely rooting for that to happen. Of course it’s even possible that I’m too pessimistic about him and his potential, but only time will tell is it really so.

Reactions: hn777 and tbcwpg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He wasn't the only Finn turning it over. Number 29 served a beauty pizza in his end on one of the Slovak goals. We are just more aware of Lamberts because we are all following him closely and he was held accountable for his bad shift.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
There just aren't any external factors. All has been his own doing. He just hasn’t played well for the last two years. He simply hasn’t developed, and it really seems that his success against his peers before that was because he was getting such a benefit with his skating against much slower kids with non-organized defence (especially compared to the adult’s Liiga).

There’s a clear reason why I have been beating this drum. And that reason isn’t that I dislike the kid himself, or have anything against him doing well. I have made my comments completely on the basis of how I have seen him play, and unfortunately he hasn’t looked at all that good and talented as some people still seem to think that he is.

Sure, by all means, have high expectations on him, if you feel like it. But better be prepared to be disappointed. He might become an NHL player still, but just would be wise to expect more of a bottom 6 forechecking speedster than any kind of a productive star player.
Weren’t there issues with him and his father and him moving to different teams in Liiga? I think the Jets want him out of that environment.

I am hopeful he can become a top six player but it’s not a surefire thing at all and I realize that. There’s a lot of work to go but I’ll be thrilled if he can become that.

I’m a bit of pessimist by nature so I’m preparing to be disappointed but upon reading page after page of how terrible of a prospect he is I’m rooting extra hard for him.

I don’t think he’s a grade A prospect but is he really terrible enough that, given especially where he was taken, that he is worth pages and pages and pages of this?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Have the Jet’s offered him an ELC? Honest question as I haven’t heard if they have.
No way to know, but we have signed our 2nd round pick (McG can't sign due to NCAA rules) so wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they have at least tried to sign Lambert?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He wasn't the only Finn turning it over. Number 29 served a beauty pizza in his end on one of the Slovak goals. We are just more aware of Lamberts because we are all following him closely and he was held accountable for his bad shift.
Simontaival (number 29) did definitely make a horrible mistake that lead to a goal, but to his defence I think that otherwise he played a pretty darn good game and he redeemed himself with 2+1=3 points in that game. He has already 5 points in only 3 games, so he is the best Finnish producer after the 1st line. But yes, you are right, Lambert wasn’t the only one being sloppy. Not the best discipline from Finland in that game. The score of 9-3 tells pretty much about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No way to know, but we have signed our 2nd round pick (McG can't sign due to NCAA rules) so wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they have at least tried to sign Lambert?

I don't think it's that unusual. Korchinski just signed 5 days ago and he went much higher than Lambert. Lekkerimaki also hasn't signed I'm Vancouver.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Number 29 happens to be Simontaival who's been absolutely great for Finland in the past few years in U18s and U20s, so no wonder his leash is a bit longer.

Reactions: Ippenator and hn777

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Biggest worry I have with Lambert is that he just doesn't seem to learn. Made those kind of mistakes in Liiga too for 2 years. Same mistakes over and over again.

Reactions: Ippenator and hn777

broc

Dec 20, 2010
He had 5 pts in 2 games in the first WJC that was stopped cuz of covid.

shame he hasnt picked up where he left off

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Biggest worry I have with Lambert is that he just doesn't seem to learn. Made those kind of mistakes in Liiga too for 2 years. Same mistakes over and over again.
Then perhaps this is the right organization to try and help fix that. TNSE/Chevy have a history and willingness to have patience and to invest in the players they draft. And my guess is the WJC is highlighting areas of shortcoming that the organization already knew. But know really knows on that.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Then perhaps this is the right organization to try and help fix that. TNSE/Chevy have a history and willingness to have patience and to invest in the players they draft. And my guess is the WJC is highlighting areas of shortcoming that the organization already knew. But know really knows on that.

Agreed. A big part in this will also be Brad's willingness to be receptive to coaching and development. The Jets will be patient but Brad will need to buy in.

Reactions: RustyCat

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
1660573005034.png

He had 5 pts in 2 games in the first WJC that was stopped cuz of covid.

shame he hasnt picked up where he left off
lets not forget those opponents were hockey powerhouses austria & germany.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I just think he needs to come to NA and start developing afresh. He has struggled for 2 seasons in Finland.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And, somewhat importantly, not played in early August after he missed almost the entire leadup to the tournament with an illness.
Agreed. it's a small tournament, against some some V subpar countries. How much can you project for a long term outlook of a prospect off that? Do a few games at WJC outweigh the ~100 games of liiga play?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
This thread is shades of Laine all over again.

I just don't know if I can take it. I wish there was a place I could go to talk hockey with JETS fans. You know, like maybe a Jets subforum :P

If only we had drafted Chelsey instead, then we wouldn't have had this issue :sarcasm:

(In case it wasn't obvious, I kid I kid)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Personally I don't really have that much angst ATM with Lambert. We drafted him as a lottery ticket and it's going to take a few years to see how it plays out. His overall game needs work, but that is already known.

On the top teams with medal hopes, there aren't many 2022 draftees anyway.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Has there been any indication where hes going to play next year?

Not sure if its been asked, sorry I havent read the thread.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
It's the summer time. Looks like the guy can skate and shoot. Maybe a good comparable would be Paul Byron or Adrian Kempe. Not a star but a pretty solid player overall.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
There are a lot of players that have wonderful WJC tournaments that amount to jack squat in the pro leagues. Lambert has a lot to prove, and he'd best get cracking at it.
There are a lot of players that do jack squat at the WJC tournaments that have wonderful NHL careers. Lesson is that people shouldn't put as much weight as they do on such small samples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad